The last several weeks I was implementing a new custom view tile to show discussions in a forum like manner.
There are several ideas and demands in the community that Jive should present discussions in a better way and here you are
- show discussions with subject, author, creation date and place as a tile in page places
- showing metadata like number of likes, views, replies and bookmarks
- filter discussions by search for author names, subject and dates and mark results in the table
- html content previews for the discussion, the latest reply and the correct answer, loaded on demand when hovering the specific columns
- sorting of loaded discussions for (almost) all columns (client side sorting as Jive only supports server side sorting for fields title, latest activity and creation date)
- several configuration options (part not finished yet)
- show/hide columns
- layout of table
- tile name
- number of discussions shown
- filter for unanswered/answered questions
- Using the Jive REST API the tile will load more than 100 discussions at once (if necessary) in a batch and afterwards load only the latest reply of each discussion in a osapi batch call to reduce api calls to Jive.
- I am only requesting the data needed from the JIVE REST API by using the fields parameter. If the place where the discussion is created in should not be shown, I will not request it to save traffic and waiting times.
- Content preview is loaded on demand because the html preview can be very big and would increase waiting times.
- Jive SDK based on NPM
- Jive custom view tile technology
- Jive REST API via osapi library
- JQuery plus some addons
- JBOX library
I want your feedback- please share your ideas, questions and hints!!
My idea is to publish that tile as a commercial addon with a very low, fixed price per year, so that I will be able to adapt to changes of Jive platform, implement new features, renew used libraries and fix bugs etc.
What do you think?
PS: I am a Jive Consultant, working for fme AG (Jive Partner) in Germany. This post is on my own and does not relate to fme AG.