Let's say you're on the IT Team for Big Rock Trading Company and you're looking for ways to improve case deflection for your company. You want to implement a Help Desk that will allow employees to ask questions, receive answers in a timely manner, and get technical guidance. In our latest "Tips and Tricks" video, we walk you through the basics to set up a thriving Help Desk with Jive.
Building a Help Desk
What are the main use cases for your Help Desk? These could be anything from Q&A spaces with IT experts to a knowledge base of "How-to" documents for employees to find answers to technical questions.
After deciding on these use cases, you can develop a content calendar and start creating content. For Big Rock's needs, they may want to consider things like:
- Q&A Forums = Feature "Ask a Question" tile on Help Desk landing page, allows employees to ask/answer questions and access previously-answered questions
- Application Training Webinars = Monthly webinar tailored on specific topic, announced within Jive
- "How to" Series = Knowledge base of documents, created by IT experts to walk through popular questions like changing one's password, requesting a program, connecting to a printer, etc.
- Top 10 Helpful Tips of the Week = Weekly blog run by IT experts
Keeping in mind the key calls to action that we decided on in Step 1, here's how that might play out in Big Rock's overall design for their Help Desk. Notice they included:
1. Ask a Question tile (main use case, featured at the top to ensure easy access)
2. Unanswered/Answered Questions
3. Key Dates (for upcoming Webinars)
4. Knowledge Base (For How-to documents)
5. Help Desk Experts (Featured IT Experts as main contacts for the place)
Before launching your new Help Desk, designate specific people to maintain the Q&A, making sure questions are answered in a timely manner and new resources are created based on the agreed editorial calendar. When you are ready to launch your Help Desk, spread awareness across several different channels in your community.
To create a system announcement as shown in the video:
- Click on your profile picture in the top navigation header and select System Announcements under "Manage."
- Select a title and picture (optional) to include with your announcement
- Choose the timeframe for how long your announcement will be displayed in the community
- You can also select Send Inbox notifications for the announcement to be sent to everyone's Inbox in the community
Maintaining and tracking the progress of your Help Desk is crucial for continuing its success. Make sure you:
- Meet with stakeholders periodically to discuss metrics, create benchmarks, and continue to refine your engagement plan
- Continually develop your editorial calendar, staying consistent with creating resources, scheduling programming, answering questions, etc.
- Cultivate popular questions in the FAQ; ensure correct answers are marked accordingly (Marked as Correct, Marked as Final, etc.) so results can be measured
Consider creating metrics from the topics in the video to measure your growth and plan improvements to your Help Desk over time.
Tell us in the comments below!