Skip navigation
1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next

Jive Talks

727 posts

Does this sound familiar? When you start talking about “social business” or “social collaboration” at work, some of your colleagues freeze in their tracks, because they don’t understand the language and the technology. Often they’re people with years of expertise, who are knowledgeable about their work and aren’t accustomed to feeling uninformed.

It’s like asking someone who has never sailed to put in the battens and hoist. They don’t understand the terms and don’t have the motivation to learn them because they’ve never sailed. Instead, it’s better to ask them if they’d like to cool off, relax, and enjoy the beautiful view from the harbor.

Community managers play an important role as translators, motivating people in language that they understand before introducing new ways of doing business. Here are some approaches you can take to help people who are new to social tools understand them:

Social technologies and processes for internal use

Social Tool Use Case

Translation

Value

Blog for executives and subject matter experts

Be more productive, interact with a lot more people, and repeat yourself less.

Cuts duplicate effort, improves personal relationships, and provides faster action and reaction times. Improves communication and employee alignment to company strategy and goals

Discussion board for project status updates

Reduce email clutter and time lost managing it; centralize information so it's easy to find even after employees leave.

Saves up to two hours per day per person not having to manage project-related email, and increases knowledge capture and visibility.

Wiki for review cycles

Cut down on time wasted finding the current version of documents and editing the wrong versions.

Provides faster feedback and ensures you're always contributing to the most current information. Cuts wasted effort.

Microblog for work updates among teams

Reduce or eliminate project status meetings while staying more aware of project status.

Saves up to four hours per person per week in time previously spent in meetings.

Internal social network that centralizes employee profiles and includes tags and expertise fields.

More easily find subject experts in your organization.

Reduces duplicate work, increases innovation, and cuts time spent looking for information.

Online chat tool that lets employees ask HR questions

Lets you easily locate policies, documents, and other HR info

Centralizes more of the HR team, reduces time spent looking for HR information, and reduces HR support costs.

Social technologies and processes for external use

Social Tool Use Case

Translation

Value

Customer support forums

Give customers a place where they can connect, create niche support documentation, and help each other

Decreases time to answers to questions, cuts number of support queries, decreases support desk costs and encourages innovative uses of products and services.

Drive word of mouth by sharing blogs, videos, podcasts, and other content on social networks

Educate the market about your product by encouraging people to share content with their connections.

Reduces cost of sales and customer churn because customer is educated before sale.

Engage influencers

Provide those most likely to drive positive results for your company with access and value.

Provides market credibility, positive market impression, and sales.

Co-innovate and crowdsource ideas

Solicit and vet ideas from and assess risks with a broader audience then you could in person.

Increases the percentage of successful new products and features, and reduces risks.

Use a community to extend the value of an event

Reach 10 times the number of attendees by enabling participants to share and discuss event content before and after.

Increases the relevance and audience for your event investment.

Are you looking for new ideas and strategies for understanding and communicating the benefits of your community? The Community Roundtable has partnered with Jive to provide a curated self-paced training course for Jive customers at 40% off of our regular price – good until the end of 2013. Community Management Fundamentalshttp://www.communityroundtable.com/our-story/services/jive/provides an overview of how experienced community managers think about and execute on community management, internally and externally. Throughout the course, you will have access to a private community to ask questions and network with other virtual attendees.

The course kicks off with a live call on December 19th for those that are registered by that time. Find out more and sign up here!

*Parts of this post were previously featured on Information Week http://www.informationweek.com/social-business/strategy/11-ways-to-explain-social-business-benef/231902518

Social businesses come in all shapes and sizes. While a one-size-fits-all social business strategy does not exist, Jive's Deirdre Walsh unlocked the 6 secrets to social success, defining a framework that organizations can adapt to fit their community needs. After all, as software and technology evolve, a successful social business can make quite an impact. Just check out these stats:

65% of respondents of global business executives say their organizations use social business tools to understand market shifts; 45% to improve visibility into operations; and 45% to identify internal talent. (Deloitte University Press)

Companies are committing more headcount to social media across all sizes of companies. The biggest jump is for companies with more than 100,000 employes, which now report an average of 49 full-time employees supporting social media in the organization, compared to 20 in 2010. (Altimeter Group)

27% of the total time spent online is now dedicated to social networking (Mediabistro)

40% of employees believe social tools produce better teamwork (Holtz Communication + Technology)

2/3 of businesses are now using social technology for marketing and related functions; 37% expect social media to be used regularly across their entire business; 9% expect it to be fully integrated (ZDNet)

You should customize your social business strategy to meet the needs of your organization, but best practices can often be adapted to create a successful and collaborative environment. Once the eBook was published, Deirdre turned to the Jive Community of thought leaders to determine more best practices, implementation tips and ways to increase adoption. Check out our user-generated social business best practices SlideShare: 

snippet://JIVE_SLIDESHARE_EMBED?code=28419550&width=427&height=356

I'd like to say thanks to all of the great community members that contributed their social business tips and tricks: Chris Boudreaux , mikecalderon , Kristen Sussman , Virginia Miracle, Laura McCullum, john ridings and Jeffrey Murnan.

What social business tips do you have up your sleeve? Comment below or join these discussions:

6 Secrets to Social Succes: 1) Define - #swarm

6 Secrets to Social Success: 2) Integrate - #swarm

6 Secrets to Social Success: 3) Build - #swarm

6 Secrets to Social Success 4) Manage - #swarm

6 Secrets to Social Success 5) Activate - #swarm

6 Secrets of Social Success: 6) Analyze - #swarm

3511e5ca3d8711e3ac3e22000ae91479_8.jpg9fc9c82a3c3711e3a95722000a9f09e9_7.jpg927d9b34404611e38a7322000a1fa414_8.jpgbeac2db4404711e3af2c22000a1f9069_8.jpg

What and incredible time I had attending this year’s JiveWorld.  My first ever, and if I have it my way, certainly would not be the last. The conference itself was incredible on so many levels: product enhancements were numerous and exceptional, connections with clients, prospects, Jivers, and yes, even competing partners were amazing, insightful and open.  So much to do from early in the morning to late at night I found it incredible that anyone found time to leave the hotel during the week to see or do anything else.  But for me, one thing reigned supreme and demonstrated the true imagination of the Jive conference, and that was the Jive game series.  Not without it’s pitfalls, this well executed accompaniment to our daily activities invited me to do more at the conference and established some unlikely and incredible relationships along the way.  Think about how this could apply to your own company and your next event as we take a look inside:

To set the stage, let’s talk about some of the components to this.  If you think that the game series effort was just about loading up a few badges after an hour strategy session, then I would like to educate you on some of what I postulate went into this monumental effort.  Though keep in mind that I am not a Jive employee and have never had any additional visibility beyond an everyday Jive customer.

• A kick-off gamification strategy session.  Yes, someone had to come up with the idea as to what the game series was going to be about, what it was going to focus on and how difficult or easy it might be. Take the feedback and lessons learned from a previous year and make refinements.  What did that get them?
    1. A focus on Twitter and Instagram as the two major communication tools to place value on rather than G+, Facebook, LinkedIn and countless others.
    2. A mix of serendipitous leveled and content badges.  On-boarding and adoption missions that identified attendees guided them to download the app, fill out profile data, and plan for session and their day.
    3. Ongoing missions delivering business value back to Jive and presenters: session check-ins, polls, surveys, and connections.

Take a look at this planning list and tell me how much effort just needs to go into this component.  My answer would be: “a lot”.  In fact, that assertion was validated with Ryan Rutan's post here: To Gamify, Or Not To Gamify ... For Conferences, There is No Question!

• Game series communication:  It’s great to gain alignment around what you’re doing, but it doesn’t help if we don’t make everyone aware.  You would be incorrect if you think this is just making a blog post in the community, or highlighting it in the app.  Take a look at some of these internal and external communications that we observed:
    1. Event communications on the game series.
    2. Communication visuals, badges and flier materials
    3. Setting up spaces and groups in the community to highlight the badges.
    4. A regular bi-weekly blog series highlighting new contests and missions.
    5. Communication to the internal team around how they would participate in the contest and react to attendee questions and mission completion.
    6. Communication with partners on how to check-in attendees.
    7. Communication with speakers and presenters around how they could leverage badge tie-ins within their session.
    8. Proper messaging on all game assets to remind people that it is just a game and is just for this event.
    9. Special contest and scavenger hunt communications that must be facilitated in secret
    10. Established processes for secrecy of check in codes so as not to be abused (or at least reduce abuse)
    11. Event coordination with things like running and yoga clubs with active leaders and participation

And it doesn’t just happen in a single day.  This is a process, which needs to start months in advance so that everyone feels comfortable and prepared.

• Then let’s get into the fun stuff: customizations.
    1. Think that twitter leaderboard made itself? Think again.
    2. The JiveWorld app to download for various platforms and guide our attendees in a simple and effective manner
    3. A network infrastructure that could handle the heat of the event (I think we felt the strain here right?)
    4. FAQs and responsive community members who can triage and answer attendee issues and questions on a global scale.
    5. A social desk, complete with response team to highlight event tweets
    6. Leaderboard displays for large presentation sessions with real time stats
    7. A video booth with all the necessary electronics and props (You didn’t think I packed that silly hat and bow tie did you?)
    8. Event swag and flair buttons to hand out and leverage in the content
    9. Event prizes at a level that is both cost effective, but will motive us enough to really want to win.
    10. Instagram linking in the event app for snapping pictures, tagging and uploading
    11. Twitter integration in the app to auto tag tweets
    12. Check in code integration for points and event readouts
    13. Poll and surveys for event readout and feedback
    14. Integrations with the Bunchball Nitro platform to draw it all together
    15. Even more than this.  An amazing undertaking from a technical standpoint and one that likely only leveraged portions of the previous year effort

All these items, and more added up to a sensational effort that you likely didn’t even realize was churning hot under the hood..  With all that, it’s fair to ask the question “Why?  Sure it’s fun, but it was just a game, an in the end it will all be forgotten.” Whew! No way!

There were immediate and long term, pre-event, during and post event impacts that will continue to benefit Jive, their customers, their partners and all other attendees.  Take a look:

• Event buzz starting in twitter and in the community months before the event.
  • Reminders to users months in advance to download apps, to plan their day, to get comfortable and effective with what they will be doing.
  • Diving event attendance through that marketing buzz, attendees voicing what they are most excited about in the product and which sessions they want to see
  • Driving licensing and platform adoption for anyone in hearing distance:  testimonials and excitement coming from real people and not boilerplate emails and flyers.
  • Speaker and presenter feedback on their sessions
  • A list of event attendees to reach out to and take the discussion further.  Attendees who are displaying an interest in the very topic you’re demonstrating expertise in.  You’re the rock star.
  • Team collaboration.  It can be debated, but I think a few people getting together to win a prize and work the leaderboard is an exceptional thing
  • Making new connections:  Don’t be shy, challenge the world and win, lose or draw you’re having a lot of fun and building your network
  • Event communications, in real time, out to the rest of the world.  Key highlights, sound bites, pictures.  A literal army of communicators who don’t need to be paid a dime to demonstrate love.
  • Innovative platform thinking.  New ways to meet the same challenges, with the same set of tools as these groups build lines of communication.  This is a live product demo of the Nitro platform and Jive capabilities, but you can clearly see that it’s not just something that Jive only could have done.
  • Reflective analysis and a long tail of thinking and excitement that wraps well into the following month and even around to next year’s event: driving more.

The list goes on and on. It can be sliced in a million different ways, but the end result is always clear, this is massive, and solid return on investment.

The event made superstars, it made fans, it made connections, and it super charged this event. I personally connected with at least one attendee who had come a previous year with more of their company.  This year they were alone, but felt an even greater connection with the event than previously.

In another instance, I met with a fellow gamer who was racing me to the goal of the daily prize. After some initial banter and back and forth challenges he and I came to a conclusion:  He wanted the prize, I wanted the points.  We formed and alliance and two complete strangers raced around the event snapping pictures and causing chaos.  We won that prize, and true to the terms we both got what we wanted.

I went on the next day to win that prize again, through some incredibly stiff competition.  I literally raced back down the hall of the conference, threw my bag to the side and leapt over a chair onto the back of our mask clad social team to claim it.  Again I got what I wanted, the glory of the win and the superstar status, and again I let that prize go to a more worthy second place contestant.  Had I known how much love would receive for that little event I would have given away a thousand iPads if I had the means.

I collected every badge I could get my hands on, completed all of the missions within my power, won all of the prizes that perhaps a single person was allowed to take home, stayed at the top of every leaderboard and in turn completed my own personal missions: become a Jive community Guru.  What I didn't anticipate however were the even grander prizes I would receive:

uploadedimage.jpgBYZGJz2CMAA5F-C.jpg_large.jpg

Now, all that being said, I will not say the game series was without something to improve.  I believe it’s the nature of this process to always improve upon what has been done.  And if it’s technically rock solid the purpose and execution must remain living and fluid.  But unless you were someone studying the process as closely as I was, you may not have seen it miss a beat.

So how does this apply to you, to your business, to your next event?  I’m hoping the above has conveyed an insight that Gamification isn’t all fun and games.  It’s careful planning and precision execution.  But the payoff is big.  I think a lot of us think about Gamification as the icing on the cake, but it’s becoming more apparent to me that cake without icing…isn’t a very good cake.

Tune in next time as I attempt to explore that concept a bit further: What does your gamification strategy need and how do you answer the most common criticisms to its use.

I hate email. I mean I really, really hate email. When I was in Support, I never used email. If you had a questions for me during the first 2 years that I worked at Jive, and you asked me via email, you never got an answer. I could do all of my work (both internal and customer-facing) using Jive. It was wonderful. Our software really kicks ***, makes me happier, and makes us all more efficient.

Now I'm in Sales.  Email is a necessary evil for part of my work.  But only the part of my work where I'm interfacing with prospects that aren't in the Jive Community yet.  That part of my work does not account for the increased amount of time that I now spend in Outlook.  Sometimes, out of habit, someone I'm working with will start an email thread instead of a Jive Community discussion. What do you do when this happens and you despise email???

My answer for this (like my answer for most things) is snark!  I have decided that I will steadfastly reply to email that should be in the Jive Community with Internet memes.  Now, I don't want to just be a jerk, so in practice my strategy has been to shameify (credit for this to Adam Behrens) those that aren't leveraging Jive for communicating.  I use the Jive for Outlook connector to elevate the email thread to a discussion, and then attach one of these memes into the discussion.  Would this work for your corporate culture to bring more people into Jive?  Use one of the memes below to find out:

5DYj9IV.png7thhCxO.pngBpRqYGy.pngfudok7b.pngmake a meme   quickmeme meme generator.pngmichael-cera-mustache.pngMjAxMy1lNzI5MTU3N2ZhZjM1Njk1.pngNm4921I.pngUZvbVjM.pngWnyJOdO.png

All-star.pngIt's been nearly 1 month since Jive held their annual user conference JiveWorld13 in Las Vegas, and people are still asking about the JiveWorld13 Game Series.  Why did you do it?  How did you do it?  Was it successful?  etc... Given the interest, I thought I would share some of the process, design, and success around the JiveWorld13 Game Series so others can hopefully implement similar programs in their communities and conferences! 

As this will be a lengthy post, let's go ahead and get started by talking about goals and core principles.

Before starting ANY gamification initiative, you should always have a clear view of your game goals, principles, and ways to measure success.

JiveWorld13 Gamification - Goals

• Increase Mobile App Downloads for Event +100% YOY
  • Increase Social Activity & Reach +100% YOY (includes Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and social photography)
  • Amplify Conference Differentiation, Networking Opportunities and Loyalty (Qualitative)

JiveWorld13 Gamification - Core Principles

• Zero Effort Entry - Playing without even knowing it increases a participants stake in the game before they know they are playing.  Increases chances of kick starting a new active participant.
  • Compounded Return on Investment - All games should feed into each other inspiring participants to take the next step, or in some cases back track to improve their over-all chances
  • Always Something to Play For - At all times, there should be a prize in play and a clear understanding of how to win it.

With goals and principles in place, we designed the JiveWorld13 Game Series, which consisted of the following games:

jiveworld13-game-sign-small.png

• Game Badges - 16 Badges, along with 4 secret badges that can be earned by simply participating in the activities that JiveWorld13 had to offer.  Each badge won, earned the recipient additional entries into the random drawing for a maximum of 250 entries!  Collect each regular badge to earn the coveted JiveWorld13 All-Star Badge!
  • Daily Challenges - Instant win opportunities during the conference to win iPad Minis.  Each challenge consisted of 10 photograph tasks, whose completion was measured by sharing said photograph via Twitter.  These photographs and Twitter participation fed into the Top Photographer and Top Tweeter prizes.
  • Top Photographer - Participants are asked to shared their best JiveWorld13 photos socially.  Along the way, participants can earn the Photo and Photo All-Star Badges sharing 40+ photos in the mobile app, which earns them more entries into the Random Drawing.  The ten most popular photos shared socially are brought into the community where the top 3 are determined by the Jive Community.  The top 3 winners each received a special badge and an iPad Mini, with the 1st place winner receiving an iPad Mini w/Retina.
  • Top Tweeter - Participants are asked to open up the conference back channel and share their conference experiences via Twitter with the #JiveWorld.  Along the way, participants can earn the Twitter and Twitter All-Star Badges by tweeting  #JiveWorld 40+ times, which earns them more entries into the Random Drawing.  In the end, the top 3 tweeters are selected by # of tweets, network size, variety, and quality. The top 3 winners each received a special badge and an iPad Mini, with the 1st place winner receiving an iPad Mini w/Retina.
  • Random Drawing - A catch-all game designed to raise engagement of the lowest common participant.  Entries earned through game badges, sessions, and other means were pooled together, and 3 winners are selected mathematically at random.

So How Did We Do?

• Increase Mobile App Downloads for Event  Goal: +100% YOY - Actual:  +104% YOY
    • It was VERY common for attendees to install the mobile app on BOTH their tablet and Phone!  Communication channel ... check!
  • Increase Social Activity & Reach  Goal: +100% YOY - Actual ~50% YOY (overall)
    • Tough compare for overall JiveWorld12 activity, and yet during JiveWorld13, attendees tweeted over 10,000 times contributing real-time thoughts and sharing valuable insights and quotes. Those that didn't have the pleasure of attending JiveWorld13 could certainly learn a lot just from the user generated content on Twitter.  +1 x 10,000
    • JiveWorld12's top three tweeters all tweeted in the mid to low hundreds, while everyone in the top twenty at JiveWorld13 had at least one hundred tweets during the conference. JiveWorld13's top three tweeters contributed 2,634 tweets, and the majority of those were relevant and valuable content.
    • 2000+ photos shared via the mobile app in only 3 days - +108% YOY , +27% YOY in Social Photography
  • Amplify Conference Differentiation, Networking and Loyalty (Qualitative)
    • Overall Conference Rating:  4.6 out of 5 by Attendees
    • Here are but some of our quotes shared by conference attendees:

Thank you so much!  I was telling Leigh Pankonien that the game series was a lot of fun, but also allowed me to make a ton of friends... Looking forward to seeing everyone again at JiveWorld14. - Lindsay Lamb

The game series was beautifully designed with so many missions focusing on different objectives and suiting such a diverse variety of attendees. There was something in it for everyone and many got into it thanks to the game series. It was not just about points, badges and leaderboard, but really about engaging all the attendees into the conference. - Nikhil Nulkar (see full conference critique here)

What an incredible game experience this year which added to a mind blowing set of enhancements and excitement around the Jive platform! - Roguen Keller (a.k.a. JiveWorld13 All-Star)

This was so much fun! Thanks for providing a great experience for all of us to show off our competitive side, connect with each other, and provide a memory I will not soon forget. - katiebroberts

JiveWorld has become an "anchor" of my calendar. It's a great, informative and fun event and the chance to connect with many friends and colleagues. So the pictures were really just an expression of the excitement for all of that. Thanks for being creative in allowing myself and others to share that excitement. - Edward Ford

I am honored to be selected as "random person" to receive an iPad mini! As if my first JiveWorld experience were not fabulous enough - this is icing on the proverbial cake! Thanks Jive! You guys do indeed RULE! - Becky Dozier

This is a nice surprise! JiveWorld13 was fantastic, and I am already looking forward to JiveWorld14. Congrats everyone! - Sean Horn

Taking into account all 3 of our goals, and the anecdotal interest in the game overall, it is safe to say that the JiveWorld13 Game Series was a massive success!  Check out the winners here:

Congrats to the JiveWorld13 Game Series Winners!

Top 3 Take-Aways

• Conference Games must be ever-present and always actionable. 
    The success, or failure, of your game will start with the mobile experience, and will hinge on your ability to keep the game front and center at all times.  This includes pre-conference communication (see the JiveWorld blog series leading up to the conference) as well as in-conference signage in prominent places, such as the registration desk, common areas and even in the sessions themselves (i.e. session slides in every presentation)

Special thanks to our event mobile app vendor, QuickMobile, and our gamification platform/partner, Bunchball, for making this game a true success!

• Less is More, and Automate Where-Ever Possible
    Focus less on delivering intricate prizes and game conditions, and more on delivering a quality experience that improves an attendee's conference experience.  Being able to automate the awarding of badges, points and prizes through actual activity is a big win for your team.  In our case, the mobile app was equipped with everything needed to award badges onsite, as a result it kept the game logistics in check and manageable for a small team to manage a larger conference.  Do not underestimate the actual time it takes to perform a manual task when the conference is in full flow!
  • Budget/Design in time for In-Game Adjustments
    Make the game a function of the players, it can also reveal a lot about your customer culture and ways to connect with them.
    For example:
    • JiveWorld13 Love Badge was inspired by praise Trisha Liu gave to another customer at JiveWorld12. 
    • JiveWorld13 Humor Badge was inspired by Brad Fitzgerald and his hilarious post in the JC!
    • JiveWorld13 Birthday Badge was inspired by Ruth Neighbors sharing the fact that she was celebrating her birthday at JiveWorld13!
    • and my personal favorite, the JiveWorld13 Wedding Badge inspired by Ted Hopton, nbussard who met at JiveWorld12 and are now engaged, and Kerry Craig who got married at the Little White Chapel in Vegas while at JiveWorld13!
      JW13-Love.pngJW13-Humor.pngbirthday-75.pngwedding-75.png

That's it.  From beginning to end, as much information I could think of to share about how we started with a general concept to increase conference attendee engagement, and ended up with the JiveWorld13 Game Series!  It's now time to close the book on JiveWorld13, take in all the amazing customer feedback, and head to the drawing board for JiveWorld14 and the JiveWorld14 Game Series!

Thank you to everyone who attended JiveWorld13 and made it such an amazing event.

Thank you to all who played and participated in the JiveWorld13 Game Series and above all,

I hope to see each and every one of you next year in Las Vegas for JiveWorld14!

What were your thoughts on the JiveWorld13 Game Series? 
Do you see this model working in your community or conference? 

How would you make it better? 

And most importantly, do you plan to participate in the JiveWorld14 Game Series? 

Share your thoughts/comments down below, we are listening!

jw12 game series.png

Fall-2013-Image-1.pngAfter an amazing The specified item was not found. we are excited to announce that Jive's latest cloud release is here!  New communities as of today will be on this release and existing communities will be upgraded on 11/15-11/16.  The new features and functionality of all four of our 2013 cloud releases will be released as Jive 7 for hosted and on premise customers in December with the exception of cloud only features* (see more in our The specified item was not found. space) You can also see more screenshots in the Jive News Blog: JiveWorld13 "Gets Real" With th... | Jive Community, and read more information on the major new features in the Fall Release here: Products: Fall Release information | Jive Community.

The Fall 2013 release is packed with cutting edge features and enhancements based on countless idea jams and feedback from our customers.  It includes new profiles, search and analytics capabilities to modernize your intranet or portal.  There are new advanced collaboration features to increase the pace at which work gets done.  And new out-of-the-box integrations uniting today's digital workplace, as well as new developer tools to let IT teams build better solutions for users.  So, what can you expect in this release?  Click play below for a quick video overview.

The Modern Employee Directory

We started by putting your users at the center of this release. Our dynamic profiles are now much more relevant to day-to-day work, allowing you to:

• List all of your skills, endorse your peers for their expertise, and even browse or invite people to groups by skills.
  • View a user's recent activity and frequented places, along with a new beautiful image gallery in one glance.
  • Browse the traditional way of looking at an org chart, or now view by connections to understand who you both have in common.

Real Time Chat with Context * (cloud only beta)

We're making it possible to do business in real time. No more waiting with your burning question, idea, or need. Jive's real time chat is embedded directly within our robust social features to take real time communication to the next level. You can:

• Start a chat with as many people as you like from their role, groups you share in persistent chat rooms, and even through others viewing any page you are on.
  • @ Mention any content (including from other systems) without leaving the chat window or cutting and pasting.
  • Preserve the conversation asynchronously in your inbox or convert them to a document.

Social Tasking for Teams * (cloud only beta)

Bring the power of social tasks to your community. You can now integrate your Jive community with Producteev, the leading task system for teams. Gone are the days of dropped balls back and forth in email, resulting in productivity drains and missed deadlines. Jive + Producteev lets you:

• Integrate Producteev with any Space, Group, or Project in Jive to replace old tasks with new and improved capabilities.
  • Create and view tasks directly inline from content in Jive such as a discussion or document.
  • Access, create, and complete tasks in email with a new Producteev Outlook app

New Analytics Capabilities

We're giving you much more visibility into how individual pieces of content are resonating in your community, as well as how your community is performing overall. You can:

• Know how your content is playing in your community with improved Impact Metrics, which are now available immediately. You can now filter by department, see who has referred your message to others, and see how much email your content is generating.
  • Analyze your community as a whole with Jive Business Analytics (JBA), which includes reports for strategic alignment, organizational intelligence, and employee onboarding.
  • Easily create Community Manager Reports with new Analytics Service backend.

An Open Cloud Platform

Jive is now integrated into many more applications, allowing you to integrate your digital workplace. We have added:

• Google Drive and Gmail integrations to let you manage content or collaborate from email.
  • New tiles for SharePoint such as links and calendar items along with a completely new integration with Outlook Web Access (OWA).
  • StreamOnce integrations for Facebook, Twitter, and RSS feeds; all now created right from Purposeful Places (available shortly after the release date).
  • An Add-Ons Registry for partner or customer developers to share and deploy robust, upgrade-safe extensions.
  • The ability to link to virtually any document management system with the new External Storage Framework.

More Productivity on Mobile

Jive mobile has see significant enhancements to create a consumer grade mobile experience, including:

• Mobile 3 is Here! A new UNIVERSAL iOS native app for iPhone and iPad to collaborate effectively on the go, along with improvements for Mobile Web with new branded experiences.
  • Advancements in architecture & security to ensure complete control with new integrations to mobile application / device management solutions.
  • Enhancements to Jive Present including a new Android App, CRM integrations, and the ability to manage other HTML5 web apps you built.

And Much More:

We haven't stopped there. There are dozens of other enhancements in the Fall Release including:

• New Structured Outcomes to mark content as Official, a Success, or Outdated (with link to new content) which pushes search results up or down.
  • Video has received a complete overhaul in experience, and can be created in a few clicks from the iOS app.
  • Purposeful places in Jive have dozens of new templates, tiles, and integrations that can be easily customized and saved.

For customers leveraging Jive in the Cloud, tell us which capabilities you're most excited about using.  If you're not on Jive Cloud, ask us how we can help you migrate to take advantage of these new features every quarter.  For everyone, we would love to hear what you think of the features and let us know if you have any questions.  Thanks!

The Power of the Pilot

Posted by kelly.feller Nov 18, 2013

IKEA Stock Photo.jpgI have a love/hate relationship with IKEA. Many times have I been seduced by the super-simple solutions I see in the showroom only to get home and find myself flooded with frustration as I try to decipher the assembly instructions that only a PhD engineer could possibly decode. Being the type-A personality that I am, I too often rush through the process of putting together my simple solution without scouring every little—and terribly important—instruction only to find my finished product resembles a particle-board Picasso possessing no functionality other than to serve as evidence of my failure. Eventually I go back and begin again, this time approaching my process methodically in hopes it will result in a more favorable outcome: a functional piece of furniture that looks so much simpler to put together than it really is.

In the several years since I’ve been helping companies implement new social media, marketing, and community initiatives I’ve noticed a similar trend. Too often well-meaning executives passionately embrace the next shiny object (or tool or program or methodology) and challenge their teams to rush through the process of implementing their big idea with record speed. This race to the finish line frequently skips the important steps that are required to ensure a successful project. And, sadly, the tool or program or project is deemed “unsuccessful” and discarded on the island of mis-fit and forgotten business initiatives.

It doesn’t have to be that way. There is a proven process that can help minimize some of the implementation headaches that often go hand-in-hand with new technologies or approaches: the pilot. Much like its Hollywood counterpart, where producers test how a new show will be received by the target audience, the technology pilot breaks down an implementation into a smaller group or business division allowing program owners to see how a larger roll-out might look.

When I’m looking to test a software pilot there are a few tricks I’ve discovered to help identify the right business group(s) to engage:

Position the pilot as an “exclusive” opportunity.
If participation is seen as a unique opportunity/benefit only open to teams that fit certain criteria, you’re more likely to uncover teams who will have greater commitment to the pilot. If you have budget to completely fund the pilot—or cover at least a portion of the costs—even better.

Create a standard application and call for participation.

Develop a list of questions to ask program owners that will help you determine which groups are a good fit for the pilot. Require all who are applying to answer standard questions like a few I’ve listed below. Questions like these can go a long way in weeding out teams that are not fully prepared to devote the resources necessary to test the pilot.

• Do you have a dedicated technology partner to help with implementation?
  • What resources (budget and people) will your team make available to support this pilot?
  • Is there an executive stakeholder on your team who will be prepared to act as a champion if the pilot is successful?
  • What business value could this pilot bring to the company? For example, the desired outcome from a sales pilot would be a faster time-to-sale, thus contributing to the company’s overall bottom line.

Make business value (money made, time saved) a top priority.
Business value is an important consideration when running a pilot as it (hopefully) provides the best and fastest way to test the ROI of the impending implementation. Obviously it will only be a sample since the true cost of a wider-scale implementation can only be realized after a broader roll-out. But it can go far in demystifying the new platform and demonstrating how this new way of getting certain work tasks done—or engaging with your customer; however you’re planning to use the software—can provide tangible benefits to the company.

Require pilot teams to become advocates upon successful completion.

One of the greatest ways to build enthusiasm in your workforce for new technology or processes is to “wow” your pilot team and then let them loose to brag about their success, ad nauseam. In terms of inspiring greater adoption no corporate edict or executive mandate is as effective as showcasing the success of pilot teams and asking participants to share their stories with their peers. In essence you want them to shout about their positive experiences from the rooftops.  Honestly, this is truly the secret sauce of widespread adoption.

Pilot projects are by no means exclusive to a Jive Software roll-out or even a software implementation in general. I’ve seen this methodology work successfully for kicking off a variety of new business processes or ways of working. In the end it’s all about failing, improving, and succeeding quickly and on a smaller scale to help pave the way for larger and more enthusiastic adoption. And since change can be hard—even for the most nimble organizations—proven successes can more-times-than-not make the difference between a project that’s fabulous or a flop.

Of course pilot projects aren't without their own challenges, which I think is inherent in the process itself. After all, if you aren't failing you aren't learning. So I'm curious; what have been your experiences with pilots, software or otherwise? Do you have any tips to share on how you kept your own pilot projects on track? Do you have specific metrics you've used to help you determine whether or not your pilot was successful?

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 9.29.46 PM.png

Here are some ways executives use collaboration technology inside their organizations (as opposed to email):

• Blogging: Write a few thoughts about an article found on the intranet or Internet. For example, a Harvard Business Review or Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocentral/2012/04/10/social-customer-service-dont-compete-against-machines/, that pertains to your business, and link to the article.
  • The CEO asks: Start a discussion with a topic that you want employees to discuss, for example, "How can we be more innovative?" Do this in a dedicated "The CEO Asks" place to make it easier for people to find.
  • Ask the CIO: Enable a 2 way open dialogue about IT within your organizaiton.
  • Embrace the new way videos: Post a video that encourages participation, communicates a message about IT strategy, and change and innovation.
  • State of the business updates: Write a short post each quarter, which could simply be a summary of what's shared with Wall Street or industry analysts.
  • Company site visit descriptions: Write about your travels to your company's various sites. For example, if you just came back from meeting with your team in Seoul and you happened to meet the mayor, write about the interesting customs you learned about.
  • Town Hall Meetings: A central place for employees to ask questions before, during, and after organizational meetings.
  • Offer encouragement: Post status updates that exude excitement about something related to your business, or something fun about your company.
  • Link to what you're reading: Share links to interesting intranet or Internet content.
  • "Like" content: Click "Like" on others' status updates, discussions, documents, and blog posts. You'd be amazed at how an exec's "like" perks up employee morale.

Also check out:

Open Leadership and Coaching Executives

Some video examples of Executives talking about how they use Jive in their organizations:

UBM CEO on building community within his organization:

Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 10.21.39 PM.png

Terry McGraw, CEO of McGraw-Hill introducing "Buzz", their new social intranet:

Terry McGraw on working and collaborating at The McGraw-Hill Companies - YouTube

As we mentioned on mainstage at Jive World and in our recent products post, Mobile is the biggest and most globally disruptive technology change on the horizon. Jive is focusing and investing in mobile in a HUGE way, beginning with our release today.  In this release, we are focusing on 3 major areas - Universal Native iOS app for iPhone and iPad, Mobile Web for Customer Communities and updates to Jive Present. Here are some more details on what's coming and how you can learn more.

• New UNIVERSAL iOS native app for iPhone and iPad - We've focused on being an early mover to develop for iOS7, delivering a consumer-grade, consistent user experience whether on iPhone or iPad. This "native app" is the best solution in the market for employees to find experts and information quickly, to stay strategically aligned, and to collaborate effectively on the go.

• Significant improvements for Mobile Web -  We've focused on improving the guest experience on mobile, offering a clear way to search for information and find answers quickly in a branded environment without having to download an app.

• Advancements in architecture & security that drive our competitive advantage - "Bring your own device" (BYOD) has exploded in the enterprise and has proven to be a new challenge for IT to mitigate risk and comply with regulations. We've made significant improvements to security, user authentication and mobile device management (through partnerships with Good Technology and MobileIron) to address and provide a comprehensive solution to allow IT to more effectively manage their business.

• Jive Present - The latest release of includes many enhancements to our existing app and a brand new Android AppJive Present now manages more than just content and multimedia on or off line.  You can create and upload your own HTML5 apps such as sales playbooks, product tours, or order forms with links back to content and places.  With Jive Present's CRM integration you can sync contacts and leads sellers tablets, easily select / send documents to them, and track content used with buyers.  There are also many other enhancements such as more robust ways to manage and search for content by tag.

Consult the following blogs for more specific product feature details and release notes.

Similarly, for our developers in the audience, we're also releasing a mobile SDK - (Jive iOS SDK · GitHub) so you can take our best-of-breed app structure and configure it for different use cases.  For an example of the SDK in the wild, check out "Jive Beat" from our technology partners In the Pocket. Jive Beat provides a fast and easy way to scan social activity in your community - status updates and images - to stay up to date on the latest while you're on the go.

Stay tuned as we continue to innovate and release updates to our mobile experience. We'll be blogging about the latest here and in the Products Space.

For all other goodness about the fall release, please consult Jive's Fall 2013 Jive Cloud Release is HERE!

When it comes to business, we're ever so much more comfortable with the rational aspect of everything. It's business, it's not personal ... but at my company, Swiss Re, our leaders are strongly focusing on emotional commitment. In my role as Head of Community Management I'm thrilled about this - and glad to nudge it all in the right - the social - direction .

FB_Pix.pngIt's easier to just talk "business" - and yes - in the long run every client relationship has to be not just meaningful, but profitable. So yes, there must be the cool and collected side of strategy, of plans, of spreadsheets, of metrics, of numbers. All of that is the polar opposite of emotional. Across corporate worlds, we're a pretty damn smart bunch. My company is often even referred to as "the knowledge company" - across the company we excel when it comes to the analytical side of our brains.

I keep observing the same thing across industries - they focus their marketing activities on showcasing just how smart they are, on the smart products, innovations, solutions ... but when you think about it - everyone knows about that already - the smarts is basically expected to be built into the package. The analytical side is the basics, something that obviously goes with it - it frankly is neither surprising nor exciting - so why do we still constantly focus on it? Why is it front and center of everything companies say and do? I'll tell you why - because it's safe, because it's not personal. We dress in plans, we wear our numbers - we do ever so much to ensure that the human side of us has little to no chance of making a showing.

Social, today, has become the norm - the world of connectivity is here and here to stay (well unless a solar storm knocks us out). Sometimes I still see experts/analysts/leaders shy away from social. But where I used to be understanding back then, today I'm clearly point out that "oh it's all new and I'm not comfortable with it" just doesn't cut it anymore. Marketers should make use of every channel out there, they should be wherever their customers/clients are - whether that's retail or B2B - they're all real people at the other end. So analyzing a market or customer is one thing - the other part is at least as important - to commit emotional to that client. In a nutshell, this is how I see it:

I KNOW - the rational commitment (left brain)

I CARE - the emotional commitment (right brain)

Isn't that what everyone wants? I want to care, I want that others care. It is all about forming relationships, and they don't happen through numbers, they happen through giving time, through caring, honestly, authentically. That's how we'll really get to know our clients, that's how we really reach them, that's how we really make a difference for them and for us.

If the "WHY we should care" is clear (and it certainly is for me) - then what about the HOW? We're busy. Whether we physically meet clients or have them on the phone - it all takes time. Time to prepare the strategy, the talking points, the negotiations - a meeting isn't one hour, isn't one dinner - there's always pre and post ... but just to make that clear again - all of that is left brain activity. The HOW is in between, the HOW is always, the HOW is social connectivity.

"Social" allows us to engage our clients wherever we can, whenever we can - and the more personal, the better, the stronger. No need to take business activities to social media - but use it as part of your emotional commitment to your clients - make it part of your relationship management. If you had a good meeting, look up your client - use the momentum and send him an invite to connect on LinkedIn (you've probably done that already). Then find and follow them on their Twitter account if they have one (it shows that you're interested in their views) ... and then take the leap and send them a friendship request on Facebook (it shows that you care, that you like them, that you're interested in forming a stronger relationship beyond the numbers). Without any additional tools, social media seemlessly merges with social business. Be where your relationships be strengthened - and soon you'll know when the son lost the first tooth, you see that the sister just got married, you realize that your client looks just like his grandfather who turned eighty-five, you'll find that you like the same things, you'll congratulate them on a great holiday moment, you'll like a picture and a comment here and there ... over time, you'll have more things in common, more things to talk about. Over time, your business meetings will change, your conversations will deepen, your connections will strengthen. No doubt you think you're already emotionally committed (you do, right?) - but I guarantee that you ain't seen nothing yet.

Every company claims that they want "passionate employees" ... that also means enabling them with tools, trainings and the freedom to be out there. We want people to be as emotionally committed, as motivated and empowered, as is possible. And a lot more is possible! We want people to CARE about their client, their job, their team, the company. I do, pure and simple. Mine isn't a job, it is a passion, it is something I genuinely care about. My clients are Swiss Re employees .... and guess what, of course many of them are friends of mine on Facebook! I've never been more connected with my company, never been more passionate about it and that is, to a large degree, thanks to the emergence and immense possibilities of social networks.

Emotional commitment ... do I have it? Do I care? Is the Pope catholic?! Life's short (and our time spent at work and/or working is a big chunk of that) - make it count. Make a difference, matter, care!

PS: In case you're wondering about the picture - it's a snapshot taken from images on my personal Facebook account - and it gives you an instant glimpse of how much better you'd get to know people by connecting with them there.

We live in a very fast paced time, and I find it really hard to keep up with industry trends and hot topics on a day to day basis. You really have to set aside some time each week or month to educate yourself through articles, networking events or attending conferences. What if there were one place you could access some of the most telling and influential articles or quotes each month from The specified item was not found. thought leaders across the web? That's exactly what the Jive social team is doing - just for YOU!

We've been creating SlideShare decks to share these hard hitting articles, tweets or quotes with y'all along with links if you want to read on. We hope that this helps you stay up to date with the social business industry. Enjoy our latest SlideShare from this initiative - October Insights from Social Business Thought Leaders:

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 3.26.18 PM.png

Travel back in time and see what thought leaders were saying during the following months and how social business as we know it has evolved. These create really interesting time capsule pieces...

September

August

July

June

May

Every month we will publish a similar SlideShare. For November, keep your eyes peeled for a special JiveWorld365 thought leader SlideShare.

Feel free to share with me any of the forward thinking social business content that came out of JiveWorld. Let me know how you think we can take these content pieces further or make them more helpful for you!

Recently at JiveWorld13, Michael Ambrozewicz and Thyda Nhek from DIRECTV presented their success story on the adoption of CORE, DIRECTV's internal, Jive-powered social intranet. If you attended JiveWorld13, you can view the session recording here: DIRECTV's CORE Champions Program Drives Social Intranet Adoption and Advocacy. Otherwise, you can read about their adoption program below.

If you have any questions about the program, feel free to leave a comment! I'll be sure to loop in the appropriate person to answer your question.

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV is one of the world's leading providers of digital television entertainment services delivering a premium video experience through state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming and industry leading customer service to more than 34 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., their 40,000-person workforce including employees, contractors, partners, and other vendors spans more than 25 customer care centers, more than 175 field service locations, two primary satellite broadcast centers featuring some of the world’s most advanced technology, and three staff offices for IT, Sales and Marketing, Engineering, Content Strategy, Human Resources and other teams

Creating a Connected Enterprise

In early 2011, the Information Technology (IT) and Human Resources (HR) teams at DIRECTV needed a platform to enable their knowledge workers and internal employees to easily connect and share information, create profiles with searchable expertise and knowledge, promote and fulfill internal job openings, collaborate within project teams, and reduce time spent in meetings and managing emails. The IT team evaluated a variety of platforms including Jive, Microsoft SharePoint, Newsgator, and others, and at the same time, HR worked on migrating their current intranet sites and wikis to SharePoint. After aligning their initiatives and evaluating the applications, IT and HR collectively chose Jive to support their vision for a “Connected Enterprise.”

Jive was chosen primarily due to the user experience it offered, which put people at the focal point of the experience, rather than documents.  In addition, Jive offered many plug-ins that integrated with legacy content management applications (i.e. SharePoint), current business applications (i.e. Microsoft Office and Outlook), and HR applications (i.e. Taleo), which met the majority of DIRECTV’s business requirements. These integration features enabled DIRECTV to enhance their user experience as their community achieved growth and adoption.

CORE: A New Way to Work

DIRECTV conducted a soft launch of their Jive internal community instance called “CORE” in May 2012. CORE was originally released to approximately 700 employees from various departments including IT, HR, digital marketing, and other early adopter teams such as its diverse employee resource groups.

CORE makes it easy for DIRECTV employees to connect, collaborate, access and share information with each other and business partners and vendors in multiple settings (at work and outside of work), leading to greater engagement and productivity, better decision-making and increased innovation.

DIRECTV decided that the initial deployment of CORE would be limited to a relatively small number of employees in order to:

1. Introduce a cultural shift to the business without too much work disruption.

2. Allow CORE application administrators and community managers to observe the impact of using a social collaboration tool internally, in order to create on-going adoption and training strategies.

3. Establish the CORE support team and enable the CORE support teams (i.e. IT and HR Corporate Communications) to determine their needs to support the platform and obtain appropriate resources (i.e. Organizational Change Manager, Community Manager, Technical Administration, Training, etc.).

The Adoption Challenge

The CORE team assumed that this would “go viral” by itself – a common assumption of many organizations implementing a social collaboration platform. The community grew slowly from 700 to 1000 from June to October 2012 since CORE was only communicated and promoted to selected departments and there was no push from senior leadership to utilize Jive.  For such a large deployment, the CORE team realized that they would need a more prescriptive approach. To drive adoption, HR and IT community owners put together an adoption plan that included a training campaign and communication plan. In late October 2012, JCS Consulting was recruited to develop a strategy that could drive sustainable and scalable adoption of CORE.

The CORE Champions Program

With thousands of employees to train on CORE and a small team to make it happen, DIRECTV enlisted the help of JCS to develop and deliver a comprehensive training program designed to take employees from novice to expert users of Jive in a matter of weeks.

Given their past experience with large enterprise deployments of Jive, the JCS team knew that simply training users on the mechanics of using Jive would not be enough to cause the shift in work habits that would result in viral adoption. To achieve the vision of a Connected Enterprise, JCS needed to deliver a training program that not only equipped employees with the technical skills necessary to participate on CORE, but also helped to create the vision of “why” the Connected Enterprise was a better way to work.

JCS took a unique approach beyond basic user training and incentivized all end users to become power users through an advocates program known as “CORE Champions.” The CORE Champions program empowered CORE’s most active and engaged users to become community leaders through advanced training opportunities that included community creation, growth and management; moderation best practices, and change management skills to help their community members make the transition from closed, siloed working habits to open and collaborative communication on CORE.

JCS launched the CORE Champions training program in late October 2012 and delivered trainings to a variety of DIRECTV departments and locations. In addition, the HR Corporate Communications team at DIRECTV launched the communication plan to announce the release of CORE to the entire population at DIRECTV.

core champions

The CORE Champions program included 4 main courses:

• Basic User Training: Entry-level Jive technical training to enable all users to start participating in the community and creating content in CORE.
  • Group Manager Training: Intermediate training for any interested, active users of CORE that want to create their own communities. Topics covered included use cases for various departments and best practices for community management.
  • Projects Training: Intermediate training for group managers that want to learn how to use Jive’s project management capabilities to enhance productivity within their teams.
  • CORE Champions Workshop: Power-user training for active community managers that recognize the value that CORE brings to DIRECTV. Topics covered include advanced community management, deeper use case analysis, and best practices for gaining adoption and participation within CORE.

Classes were developed and delivered on a pilot basis in November and December of 2012.  Once the classes were “tuned,” they were delivered in-person and through dozens of webinars, and CORE Champions workshops were offered in person only for those who had completed the basic-level and one of the intermediate-level prerequisite trainings. The JCS team traveled with key HR team members leading the CORE adoption strategy to various locations to deliver the trainings during the first quarter of 2013. Over 5,000 DIRECTV employees attended either in person or online training, including nearly 500 who completed the Champion-level training.

Once CORE Champions completed the training series, they were invited to an exclusive CORE community to share war stories, lessons learned, and ideas to grow the use of CORE. CORE Champions could also use the community to get support from the CORE team and their peers whenever they encountered an issue. CORE Champions continue to drive the growth of CORE and help DIRECTV achieve its vision for a Connected Enterprise, and the CORE Team regularly recognizes instrumental Champions in person at senior-level staff meetings and in blogs posted to CORE’s internal public communities.

“Developing our Connected Enterprise strategy along with planning how to drive adoption of CORE challenged us to think differently about how we typically engage our workforce. JCS Consulting’s experience helped us more clearly and quickly identify the reasons people and teams would resist these new ways of working. More than a consultant, the JCS team members were true partners – not only willing to learn our business but, most importantly, experience how our employees work each day. By living the status quo with us, they helped us engage employees in new ways of working through communications, training and peer-influence tactics. Without them, we wouldn’t have the adoption rates and ROI that we’re fortunate to have today.”

Michael Ambrozewicz
Senior Manager, Corporate Communications and Diversity & Inclusion
DIRECTV

Results

From October 2012 to April 2013, membership in CORE grew from 1,000 to over 8,000.  Hundreds of active groups within CORE can cross both organizational and geographic boundaries (while maintaining appropriate security), allowing DIRECTV employees to make faster decisions using better information, and to bridge silos and geographic divides that support the company’s broader cultural transition to be more collaborative and customer-centric in its work streams.  As a result of providing training at the basic, intermediate and advanced levels, and implementing a multi-stakeholder communications campaign, DIRECTV’s adoption rate has improved and various organizations within DIRECTV are now in the planning stages to extend CORE usage beyond the initial deployment to 10,000.

Screen+Shot+2013-10-08+at+6.47.22+PM.png

Today, I'm thrilled to announce that Max Calderon has become Jive's new community manager!

In just 18 months as a Jiver, he has

* helped onboard more than 100 new employees

* created and managed spaces and groups for sales, partners, and customers

* edited and published tons of internal training videos

* and managed the company's own usage of Jive Present and Jive Present for Partners

Moving forward, Max will be taking over for the legendary Ryan Rutan and building relationships with each of you.

Specifically, I've tasked him with the job of creating communities that showcase the true power of Jive Software and inspire engagement; leading the worldwide user group program; sharing regular product tips and tricks; and measurably improving KPIs around areas like brand awareness, customer communications, and engagement. No pressure!  

To help you get to know Max, I did a brief Q&A with him, and he also posted this video introduction: New Community Manager?!

Q. What's your main focus going to be as the new community manager?

A. I'm focused representing and engaging the community. I'll do my best to connect experts with those asking questions, and personally assist when I can. That said - I don't know everything! Please be patient, especially since I'm not a developer. Unlike Ryan, I can't fix code, but I know some brilliant peoplewho can help.

Q. What most excites you about this position?

A. I really, really love learning and getting to know people. I can't wait to get engaged and help out.

Q. Beside's what you've mentioned in your video, what are 3 things you want people to know about you?

A. 1. I'm a huge fan and power-user of mobile technologies (Anuj Verma and team have to suffer me every day). 2) I nerd out about our industry, where different technologies sit relative to others and their niches in the market. 3. Heads up for lots of questions. I ask a lot of questions.

Join me in congratulating this self-proclaimed, "drummer, skater, gamer, nutrition/fitness/technology geek, foodie, outdoor fanatic, and animal lover."  I couldn't be happier that he is joining my team and that our entire community will now get to experience his passion for all things Jive. 

A quick blog post as follow-up to a comment during Jive World 2013 presentation on Transforming the Customer Experience for the concept of 'hat trick' in social business.

Certainly being persistent, repeating you and being resilient are characteristics we understand. But what I believe we must embody in our actions and words are:

Honest conversation. From strategy model development conversations to actual community conversation. We look in the mirror through social every day and we must be honest with ourselves, with our words, with our actions and our approaches consistently in order to realize true social business.

Authenticity. We approach our strategy development and social business validation process with authenticity with our peers, our clients and our entire ecosystem with this concept always top of mind. A shout out to many great thinkers in this area, including: Joe Pine, Brene Brown, Marcia Reynolds and Sally Helgesen.

Trust. If we do the H and A well in our work, the T comes naturally. Which is why it is paramount to dialogue, develop strategy and communicate with honesty and authenticity in order to build trusted digital communications. I've seen language around how people are trying to monetize this notion of trust, but like culture, it's not something you can truly 'purchase'.

I grew up in Michigan where as soon as the ice froze on our lakes and ponds, we pulled out our skates, which is why I have drawn the parallel for scoring in social business strategy with hockey.

Whether you’re just beginning to think about social or have already begun to incorporate disruptive technologies into your business, this webinar should not be missed!

Save your place now for this EMEA Webinar on 12th November at 3pm UK/4pm CET as Steven McAllister (CEE Chief Knowledge Officer for PwC) and Christopher Morace (Chief Strategy Officer for Jive Software) discuss how:

• PwC has derived real value for 100,000+ employees using social technology in the enterprise
  • Rapidly-developing social technologies are impacting the world in which we live and the places where we work
  • These technologies can deliver tangible business value and positively impact the bottom line

Make sure you attend the live event and we will send you a free copy of Transform: How Leading Companies are Winning With Disruptive Social Technology!

Register your place now!

Speakers:

Steven Mc

Steven McAllister, Chief Knowledge Officer, PwC, Central & Eastern Europe

Steven was the Global Adoption Leader for Spark, PwC's global social business tool (built upon Jive Software's platform).

In this role, Steve focused on driving awareness of the benefits of this rapidly-emerging technology and providing guidance on how to integrate

Spark into core PwC business processes for the firm's 180,000+ employees.

Chris Morace     Chris Morace, Chief Strategy Officer, Jive Software

Chris has spent the last 20 years helping large enterprises implement the digital technologies that revolutionize the way we work and communicate.

Leading Jive Software’s product strategy and, subsequently, serving as Chief Strategy Officer has given him a front row seat to the transformation

unfolding in business today.

Filter Blog

By date: By tag:
Introducing Tracks on the Jive Community
Configure your Jive Community experience by selecting a track. We'll use this track on the homepage to show you relevant content and help you find resources quickly. You can change your track easily from the homepage or your profile.
As a community manager, you're an ambassador for your Jive community as you build places, curate content and engage with fellow community members. To help you go further with your site, we'll share success stories and other resources.
Whether considering a new purchase or working on an upgrade, technology managers need insight on the best ways to implement a community and learn more about the various upgrades in software releases.
An effective community starts with sound business strategy. As your community matures, you'll want to learn and share best practices for implementation and continued success.
Whether you're a developer, system administrator or a designer, you need insight on building a great user experience for your Jive community. Get the scoop on theming, API's, upgrades and more.
We've got a special area for partners to get essential information and best practices they need for describing and selling Jive to potential customers.
Whether or not you have a specific role in your Jive community, this track highlights areas of interest to Jive users such as training materials, community best practices and an opportunity to network with other customers.
save and close