Skip navigation
1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next

Jive Talks

741 posts

The other week, I posted about some of disruptive the macro trends we're seeing in the world: the shift to connecting via mobile devices, and the increasing youthfulness (and associated changing expectations) of the workforce. We've been talking a lot here at Jive about what these changes mean for our mission of changing the way work gets done.

By and large, enterprise apps have been behind in serving (forget about delighting) the mobile worker. Security, regulations, network restrictions, fear, etc. have all made this transition harder at work than at home. But, happily for all of us as users, the landscape is changing. The battle for mobile heart- and mindshare at work is just getting started. Jive has its own more recent entrants into the race with Mobile 3, but this is just a start.

In thinking about where to go next, it's easy to jump on the Mobile First bandwagon. It's a clear, simple rallying cry that's easy to get behind. Google and everybody else has, right?

“The answer should always be mobile first.”

– Eric Schmidt, CEO, Google

For any audience that tends to think mobile last, Mobile First is a useful counterbalance to pull towards a better balance. But putting any one form factor above all others is ultimately the wrong answer. Mobile first has problems too. One smart UX and design guy, Kevin Powell, summed them up nicely:

Problems.png

(His excellent presentation with much more detail on these points is well worth checking out.)

‘Mobile first’ is the extreme reaction to the vast majority doing a lousy job with mobile so far. It’s fueled by just how hard it is to actually make mobile a first class citizen for established products. And it doesn’t reflect the realities of work today, which do still include (and in many jobs favor) desktops and browsers, especially when it comes to rich content creation. Ultimately the pendulum will swing back to a place of balance. At Jive, we're aiming to skip the detour and go straight to Experience First.

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 3.26.04 PM.png

✭ We are committed to empowering people to work naturally with, instead of against, the device they're on, both in the consumption-weighted and short-form conversation that comes naturally typing with thumbs, and with creating and leveraging heavily-crafted content better suited to big screens.

✭ We are committed to giving people the means to connect, communicate, and collaborate quickly; to find experts and answers; to easily share from any device.

✭ We are committed to breaking down the walls that keep out employees, customers, and partners who may not even have a desktop machine or laptop; who are using their own personal device; who may not have corporate email accounts or high-speed access.

Our commitment is to improve the way people connect with each other – across business ecosystems – to get work done, everywhere they work.

We have already been shifting our conversations here towards Experience First, across devices. This means designing for mobile, and tablet, and web, and desktop... (And ultimately glasses, wrists, rings... we've been playing with these too, but it's still early.) It's not an overnight change. We will continue to push some things that are mobile-first to accelerate the mentality change. We catch ourselves often; have to remind our teams, but change is happening today in Jive in product management, design, development, partner ecosystem and more.

I am tremendously excited about the shifts happening in the world around us and about the work we're doing in mobile today. (And I say this even having had the pleasure of introducing our very first ever native mobile app at the first JiveWorld 4 years ago!) We are adding both great end user and enterprise capabilities, rounding out information discovery, portals, and creation and consumption. Mobilizing the Intranet and Portals is a big step for the workforce that has had no access away from their desk. Now we are increasing our focus on connecting in the people who are not so strongly tethered to a desk or deeply immersed in Jive on the web today, helping them to experience a better way to work. Even with all of the channels available today – email, phone, IM, etc. – struggling to connect is still too often the norm.

How are you staying in sync at your company when on the go? Are the 'deskless' workers in your ecosystem connected in? Are people using consumer solutions like WhatsApp on the down-low? And, where are you finding that today's readily available realtime channels like chat, SMS, phone, and video conferencing let you down?

1619231_10151796831186916_524108938_n.pngHappy cmad14 to all of our Internal and External Communities!!!

I know many The specified item was not found. celebrate CMAD in their own way... we wanted to call out a special thanks to all of the cmgrs that use and navigate Jive every day. Thanks to Social Edge Consulting for hosting an awesome tweet chat earlier today as well!

community_manager_large.png

Thought we'd keep it light this year and honor the day in a different way:

Let's highlight some awesome things about the day and some info for those who are new to Community Manager Appreciation Day (CMAD)  

Firstly, let's dig in to this CMAD thing -

• Some quick background: CMAD is a few years old now, started by a smart fellow named Jeremiah Owyang. He has one hell of a blog (here) that highlights a lot of things, ranging from general business and leadership principles, to online strategy best practices, including Community Management, Community Managers, and why all of its important.

So for clarity, What is CMAD?
Many_Hats_of_Community_Manager_infographic_GetSatisfaction.png     CMAD is an appreciation day for the community managers who run the gamut in their day-to-day efforts to manage and change the way work gets done:

experts on information architecture, information strategy, discussion fostering, governance implementation,

mentors in how to leverage platforms, best practices on sharing, online ethics, and social workplace,

data nerds in having to research and prepare what metrics are delivered on, what metrics should be looked at, and how the metrics shift with the community

the voice of the communities (external or internal) to the rest of the organization - the voice of the end user, and the constant politician and middle-man (or woman!)

a marketer - master communicator and evangelist, leverager of the best technologies and processes available to get to the most people

...and so many more things. I think we're all pretty familiar with the infographics to the right  by now, and can identify at some level

Obviously this wouldn't be complete without a twitter feed, too many images, and some links to Linkedin or CM Meetups or CMAD events. Following Ryan's fashion, I'll use this as a reminder that I'm here! I'm your Community Manager, and I'm digging it. If we haven't engaged yet - please intro yourself, shoot me a note, and more than anything if you have any questions -- Please let me know! @mention me, send me a message, share to me, send me an email... whatever you need, I do my best to be available and responsive.

5875._2300_cmad.jpgcommunity-manager-appreciation-day-card-manage-vacation.jpgcommunity-manager-appreciation-day-card-manage-urinal.jpgcommunity-manager-appreciation-day-card-manage.jpg

Point in all of this -

I'm sure many people engage in communities throughout their day without ever knowing. Many more of us (especially here) have an idea of, or are directly involved in what goes on behind the scenes every day... take half a second and think about all of the pieces that go in to everything that you're touching. All of the applications or websites you touch.. there's quite a bit of set up and involvement in the background, and it doesn't all come together without some serious, hardcore project management and translation between different constituents.

Kudos to all of the community managers and The specified item was not found. diehards out there - it's not an easy task, but it's sure a fun one. Go give one of those crazy folks a hug... they probably need it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu9jZ_Ss5-hmLFqSlKkXUmHBPGeevOxkjth6KpzHQWg5V-HVOSRQ

As a last note, I'll also take this opportunity to say - we're working on some stuff with the Jive Community, and have some cool things coming, so stay tuned!

Short term, if you have ideas or feedback, please post in the The specified item was not found. space!

300x600_jw13_banner_droid_H.jpg

Now that we're coming on the end of January, it's time to release our The specified item was not found. recordings, presentations, and make public some of the best parts of the year!

This year was the biggest JiveWorld in Jive history; following Deirdre Walsh's amazing Mainstange Recap and virtual jiveworld goodies - we had over 1600

JiveWorld this year covered 8 tracks, listed here below. Click on JiveWorld13 Track Presentations & Videos below or on the icons below to get to the track recordings!!

Not only did Jive get recordings and presentations of the tracks and get some great recaps for you, but tony.stewart@nbcuni.com got some awesome

The specified item was not found. Track Presentations & Videos

See the JW13 agenda for the tracks here

social_intranet.png customer_engagement.pngsales.pngmarketing.pngdeveloper.pngstrategy.pngadvanced_community_mgmt.pngproducts.png

NOTE* Some videos and presentations are not available

Enjoy!

JIVE_UNIVERSE_ART_AJONES_.jpg

There's a big conversation we've been having inside Jive over the last several months (much of it driven by our fantastic new head of mobile products, Anuj Verma). This topic is bigger than one company or product and we'd like to open up the conversation with all of you: what do the changes in how the world interacts with each other and the web mean for business at large, and what does this change in our demands of the products that enable us?

In part 1, we'll review key trends we and others are seeing in the market that shape the new landscape, both in technology and shifting workforce demographics.

In part 2, we'll share how these trends have helped shape our thinking about products and user experience across devices at Jive.

Disruption, transition, and change form a familiar context for us at Jive. Against dramatically shifting behavioral and technology landscapes (the rise of social networks and increased sharing and transparency, the replatforming of the enterprise, the shift to cloud...), we have built Jive to improve the way people connect and work. And, we are now facing the single biggest and most globally disruptive change yet: mobile.

2014 is the year that mobile Internet use surpasses desktops. It’s also the year when we flip to more people in the workforce having been born after 1984 than before (and they all grew up with a phone in their hand). It’s the year that the real fight for enabling employees hits the enterprise market.

We succeed in fixing work in this round only if we all drive through this change together. We succeed, and we all reap the rewards of the new way. We fail, and we go the way of the dinosaur, making way for the next new contender.

Dinosaur.png

Fact: The way people connect is at a tipping point.

The following several charts are shared from Mary Meeker's outstanding 2013 Internet Trends Report. The whole presentation is well worth reviewing if you haven't seen it.

More Internet traffic will be coming from mobile devices than desktops in 2014. This is already the reality in India, China, and North Korea today.

TippingPoint.png

And, mobile traffic as a % of total Internet traffic is growing fast.

Growth.png

It’s even more dramatic in consumer social: 68% of Facebook’s traffic comes from mobile, per their Q2 earnings report. For them, it’s monetize mobile or die.

Facebook.png

Tablets only accelerate the shift with their unprecedented adoption. Tablets open up more possibilities for work, from anywhere, but come with experience expectations and capabilities more akin to a phone than a PC.

Tablet.png

Fact: The workforce is changing - the majority have now grown up in an always-on, mobile world.

The workforce now has more people born after 1984 than before.

millenials.png

http://www.hrtecheurope.com/uploads/avatar/millenials-career-infographic.png

And the millennials aren’t alone in bringing their own devices to work. The vast majority of us are bringing more than one!

phonesatwork.png

http://www.b4j.co/mobile-hr

Mobile behaviors are shifting as well, more towards targeted, short-form, realtime communications that suit the device, growing privacy concerns, and our fragmented focus.

Enterprise solutions have been behind, but that's starting to change fast, to all of our benefit. In part 2, I'd like to share what these trends mean to us at Jive and our product strategy. In the meantime, we'd love to hear from you and open up the discussion:

• What disruption have you and your company experienced with the mobile revolution?
  • What's the biggest barrier you face with trying to work remotely?
  • What mobile apps have successfully won you over and replaced or displaced other apps for you?
  • Where do you think the future of mobile at work is headed?

It's Friday. Who else could use a good joke?jw13-game-300-humor.png

During The specified item was not found. the social media team collected video footage on a wide range of topics. My very favorite being the videos filmed in order to earn the prized humor badge.

Some were The specified item was not found. related and some were just plain funny. Enjoy:

awooler jokes about his long trip to JiveWorld from the UK.

I LOVE deb start's delivery!

Sarah Scoular shares her funniest social business story. Can anyone beat this one? I think not.

Pretty corny, Roguen Keller.

A big thanks to all of the video participants! And I would love to hear your best joke or funniest social business moment!

lindoty

Brand Fan > Customer

Posted by lindoty Champion Jan 16, 2014

Red-Lobster-Remodeled-Restaurant.jpgFact: Everyone selling something wants customers.

The corollary to that is we're all selling something. Right here, right now - I'm trying to sell you on my savoir-faire.  On my writing, my business acumen, my social-business jen ne sais quoi.

On my amazing grasp of the French language.

When you're selling something, what is the most important thing to have? A great product? An impeccable reputation? A good-looking sales force?

Perhaps.

Surely the most important thing to have is customers, right?  RIGHT?

Maybe not.

Way better than customers are brand-fans. A customer will buy something from you and use it, but a brand-fan will become an extension of your sales force.  Even better - a horde of brand-fans becomes a groundswell of Crowd Marketing. I'm writing about what, in essence, Malcolm Gladwell meant when he talked about The Tipping Point.

Companies are trying to figure out how to create that groundswell and find that tipping-point. I'm afraid you won't find the secret formula here, even if you read to the bottom, mostly because there isn't one secret formula. There are, however, some overarching concepts that seem to hold true for those brands that have achieved this highly-sought-after phenomena. 

Often, the brands that reach this nirvana weren't primarily trying to make money - they were trying to provide something they truly believed in. They come across as genuine and 3-dimensional. In other words, they aren't used-car-salesmen with overstated promises and an in-your-face sales style to the point where you avoid them like the plague. They care about you, their customer. Even if they don't care about you as one individual customer, you see evidence they have shown care for other individual customers, which makes you think they probably would care about you if they had the chance to interact with you about something.

Here's what many brands don't get about social business: it's not about overt selling on Twitter or  any of the social media platforms.  It's about building your reputation in those places; winning individuals to become brand-fans.  Customers and potential customers get to experience brands out there and see who they are, how they act.

And if they win us over? Watch out.

Because social business isn't about Brand A selling to Customer B by tweeting a 15% off promo code.  Social business is about Brand A winning the heart of Customer B so that Customer B goes to Facebook and tells his 400+ friends "You have GOT to try this niche beer made by the local microbrewery! They are such a cool company and their beer is awesome!"

Let me tell you a story... I participated on a message board in 2001 on a community site called ePregnancy (that no longer exists).  It was a community for expectant mothers, allowing us to band together and compare our pregnancy aches and pains, ask questions, share hopes and dreams.  The forum I participated on was called Due In January and starting around the end of December, we all produced tiny humans - a few of us got more than one - and we moved, together, to the next stage in our journey.

Shortly after that, a couple dozen of us managed to assembled in one city and meet each other in person. The other 100+ members of the forum followed virtually on the message board while we shared photos and stores and wished they could have made it.  Here's what it looked like:

the babies.JPG.jpg

Those babies are all turning 12 this month and we're plotting to get together again and recreate this photo with a bunch of surly pre-teens. We'll let you know how that goes. 

Us moms are still together in a private virtual community and still comparing our aches and pains and hopes and dreams. There is a reason I am telling you this and it ties into social business and social selling. Hundreds of times over the past 12 years, I've seen the dynamic play out where one of the women comes into the community with a glowing endorsement for something, and each time, a subset of the community gets inspired and runs out to buy that thing. When these January 2002 children were babies, one mom bought the Fisher Price Ball Blast toy and reported back how great it was and how much her little punkin-schnookums loved it and next thing you knew, there was a stampede of mothers who were desperate for ways to occupy their little punkin-sscnookumses and willing to try anything who ran out to buy it.

We had a small army of little human beings learning to blast plastic balls all over the place and some of us (perhaps only 1, ahem) eventually regretted chasing those stupid little plastic balls everywhere.

But I digress.

There have been many stampedes like this over the dozen years we've been together. Anything from make-up to books to gadgets to toys to kitchen appliances to apps. I have been a follower of some of these endorsements, and I have been an endorser more than once. Brand-fandom takes a happy customer to the next level - to become an endorser.  I don't mean a person who writes a recommendation on Amazon, although that's a good thing for brands to have too, but someone who stands in front of a crowd of people he or she knows personally and puts his or her stamp of approval on a product or service. The more third-party-endorsers (TPEs - it's a thing, for real - GOOGLE IT!) a brand gets, the better its product does.

I'm no marketing person.  I don't have Social Media in my title.  I've never worked doing PR.  But I know this much is true: the goal for any business is to convert customers too brand-fans, or it should be.  The methods?  Quit trying to sell so hard and instead try to build your reputation.  Engage. Earn trust. Answer questions. Solve problems. Make people laugh.  You cannot buy these fans, they must be earned.  There are no short-cuts.  Engage authentically.  Care about your customers and their problems.  Laugh at their jokes.  'Like' their endorsements of your products.  Get social, bi-directionally.  Don't just push your sales-blitz-promos out to them and wonder why it's not effective.

I don't follow many brands, but one exception is Mr. Clean because he makes me laugh and he never does a hard-sell on me.

MrClean.JPG.jpg

You can bet there is a part of my brain that has a feel-good response to Mr. Clean and when I walk down the cleaning aisle at the supermarket, the fact that he's given me occasional smiles with his humor mean his products have an advantage in my decision-making process.  Therefore, I know that brands that are funny without doing a hard-sell are effective on winning me as a customer and potentially brand-fan. 

I also know that brands that interact with me garner my goodwill.  A handful of times on Twitter, brands like Red Lobster and SlimJims have responded to my tweets that mention them.  I didn't @mention them or tag them in the post, I merely mentioned their products in silly tweets and they replied in an upbeat, friendly, and engaging way.

I won't lie - it was a little bit of a buzz for me.

When brands interact with me in a positive way - without trying to commoditize me as a customer -  it creates an infusion of good feelings.  I like them better than I did before.  Hey, they noticed me, they talked to me. ME, little me! Wow.  Imagine more and more of that.

The truth is that I am already a brand-fan for Red Lobster. I plan to be buried in a casket filled with Cheddar-Bay Biscuits. I have taken a lot of grief for it over the years, but I sing my endorsement of their delicious biscuits from the rooftops.  I'm not ready to be buried in a casket full of Slim Jims yet, but I do feel fond of them and who knows what the future holds. Watch this space. Or the obituaries, maybe.

My most recent encounter is my favorite one yet.  Just last month, I made a joke on Twitter where I tagged two brands.  I never expected a response to the joke but one of the two brands did respond and this little teeny-tiny interaction totally made my day.  I love them for it.  I installed their app on my phone.  As such, I'm more likely to share their content on my social networks.  They won a little piece of my heart is what I'm telling you (even though they didn't think my comedic genius was worth some Mountain Dew and Cheetos, which I vehemently disagree with!).  

cheezburger.JPG.jpg

moutain dew.JPG.jpg

Let's stop for a moment and reflect back on Malcolm Gladwell, shall we?  His book is subtitled How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. Companies all over are trying to force content to go viral.  They develop great content and have armies of people who pimp it out and, often, it falls flat.  What if Cheetos or Mountain Dew had jumped into this social-conversation with me and the Cheezburger brand?  What if it kept going? What if it got more hilarious? What if....

Come out to play with your customers.  Build your reputations. Build goodwill and trust. Build an army of super-fans who love you because you made them feel good, because you care and are passionate about your products and services.  They will sing of their love from the rooftops and, hey, if something goes viral? Great!  If not, you still did the right thing.

You still did the right thing.

Me? I'm selling you my words.  More accurately, I'm giving my words away in order to sell myself. Is that even legal?  I'm just trying to save up enough to fill my casket with Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits.

Your move, Slim Jim.

lindoty

How to Make Pizza

Posted by lindoty Champion Jan 10, 2014

pizza.jpgIf you're here in the Jive community, chances are your company already has a social media platform.  Some here might say they have the best of the best, but those people are pretty biased.  Me? Not biased at all and I think the one my company has is pretty great.  (Pssst, it's Jive!)

There are some pretty cool platforms out there for use in organizations of all sizes.  And even if your company isn't using one yet, chances are the tools you already have (e.g. SharePoint) are seeing more and more elements of social media added to them. My company implemented Jive (http://jivesoftware.com) in 2012 as our intranet platform and I have made good use of it in my role since then.  Given that I lead an area that requires massive dissemination of information, large-scale change-management, and ongoing education of 65,000 people in over 100 countries, a social media platform is a godsend. 

Plus, fun!

Not everyone feels the same as I do, though.  Some grumble about it.  "Oh, THAT? What a time-waster. We have work to do!"  Even worse, I've heard "I don't let anyone on my team waste time using social media at work!"

I was recently asked to present to a group of communications professionals in my company about effectively embedding social media into one's role. My first response was "Someone wants to listen to me talk? GREAT - game on! I'm SO there!"  Because, in case you haven't noticed, I like to talk.

As the day drew nearer, it occurred to me I'd be talking to people in Communications about how to communicate. That's when I panicked and rocked in the corner, because I am quite certain that they are all much more savvy about this stuff than I am.  It's like having baked a cake a time or two and being asked to speak to a professional bakers about making a cake.  At least in that case, I could console my anxiety with cake.

Still, they were going to let me talk so I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity!  I just needed to know how to package my message in a way that let them know I didn't consider myself an expert in their field.  I went with pizza.  If I can't have cake, I'll at least have imaginary pizza.

Talking to people about how I leverage social media at work, to me, is like giving a lesson on how to make pizza.  There are a million ways to make pizza - pan pizza, flat-bread, wood-fired, Chicago-style, New York style, St. Louis style (I'm partial to this kind, for reasons which may or may not be obvious), calzones, pizza rolls, et al.  And there are an endless array of toppings that can be combined in new and interesting ways to change it up.  Pineapple?  Yes, pineapple.  Sauces, types of cheeses, seasonings... I could go on and on.

Hang on, be right back - going to run and get me some pizza.

I told my Communications audience that I was merely showing them how I make pizza.  It's not the only way, and it may not even be the best way. It's just one of many ways.  I've learned a few things about making pizza along my path, having been social online for many years, and I planned to share those lessons with them. The presentation went well, and because one of my golden rules is to write something once and leverage it over and over, I thought I'd share with you, my new friends on the Jive community, what I talked with Internal Communications about.

• Social Media at work *IS* a business tool!
  • Promoting your message has value to you, your boss, your department, and the company.
  • In a geographic- and time-zone-diverse business world, social media bridges gaps.
  • Better collaboration is built upon relationships of trust, which are build upon many small interactions that add up over time. Social media accomplishes that.
  • Not only will your company and department benefit from your engagement, but you will too.  Connecting with new people could lead to opportunities for you and increase your satisfaction in your job.
  • Don’t think you have to ‘keep up’ or read it all on your workplace social network. You can't. That's like drinking from the fire hose, my friends. Don't do it.
  • A good approach: carefully choose a few people, blogs, and groups to follow closely and contribute to them regularly with comments, likes, questions, answers, et. al.
  • Create custom-streams to make it easy to dive deeper into certain areas.
  • If you blog, be sure to share and promote your blog posts in other places. A stand-alone blog is hard to get going. Once you write it, you have to pimp it out.
  • Don’t be afraid to extend yourself – participate in different areas of the business with people you don’t know. It’s OK. Really. Jump right in - the water is fine!
  • Link to others – people, groups, blogs, within your material.  That’s how you feed into the system – you’ll get back what you give.
  • Manage your online reputation.  It’s a public, written record. Don’t post what you don’t want your boss or boss’s boss or boss's boss's boss to read.
  • It’s good to share our humanity with each other – we need not be all business, all the time. Be human, flaws and all.  Don’t be scared to be vulnerable, ask a question, share an opinion.
  • Some communications are written in a formal business style and always will be. Find the places where you can let your personality shine in your writing.  That’s what people connect with!
  • Write it once, get it out there, then leverage the heck out of it.  Writing and publishing it are just the beginning. You get value from it by continuing to shine a light on it.
  • It’s not an all-or-nothing proposition. Do a little bit here, a little bit there – it adds up over time!

These bullets were the pepperoni of my pizza-making presentation - some people ate them up and some people set a few of them neatly on the edge of their plates. Perhaps some thought I was a little too spicy.  It's merely my view of things, based on my pizza-making experience, and as with everything, subject to debate, disagreement, or adulation.  (I'm quite partial to adulation, by the way.)

In the session I delivered to the Internal Communications group, there was a lot of discussion about how to get the engagement of your readers.  My view is that social media is personal.  While we write formally for business quite often, we should find times and places to share less formally - to let our personalities come through.  When we tell our stories, we should think about how we want people to feel, give them a way to connect emotionally to the story.

When you think back on advertisements you've seen over the years, which stand out?  Are they the ones that made you laugh? Cry? Sigh?  What about the ones that just gave you the dry information - do those stand out, even if grammatically correct and flawless according to Strunk and White? One of my favorite quotes comes from Maya Angelou:

MayaQuote.png

In my free time, I am available for social-media coaching for the mere price of a slice of pizza.  Or cake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a slightly modified version of a blog post that I wrote on my company's Jive platform in July of 2013.  When I say write it once and leverage the heck out of it, I really mean it.  I swear.

Is it just me, or did 2013 just fly by? To wrap up 2013 the social team wanted to reflect upon and thank all of our members for their participation and contributions to the Jive Community. We've also determined who the top contributing members are according to their activity during 2013. Congrats to the following members - y'all definitely have bragging rights now more than ever!

Top Members - by overall activity/points - in no particular order:Lindsay at Grand Canyon.jpeg.jpg

• Tracy Maurer - An enterprise 2.0 system administrator, evangelist, community manager and trainer at UBM, if you aren't following Tracy you're missing out! Tracy is a big contributor ofThe specified item was not found. blogs, her most engaged in 2013 being The specified item was not found. Thanks for continuing it share your experience with your community which greatly helps others in their endeavors, Tracy!

• John Schwiller- A consultant at CGI and fierce evangelist for social business and collaboration, John only needs 55,589 points to go from a Jive Community Guru to a Sensei. No problem. John is a constant presence in the Jive Community contributing greatly to product discussions and ideas.

• Lindsay Keogh - Lindsay recently road-tripped to The specified item was not found. with Thomson Reuters co-worker Edward Ford and documented their great adventure through the JiveWorld app. Looked like a blast! Lindsay, and Intranet Manager, participates in a lot of support conversations - if you do too, give her a follow!

• Roguen Keller - Awarded the JiveWorld13 gamification MVP, Roguen's content is both fun and insightful. Have you checked out all his badges?? Roguen's A JiveWorld Gamification Reflection blog recaps the JiveWorld game series from an outside perspective. He covered everything from what must have been involved in planning, promoting, and executing, as well as what could have been done better. Roguen absolutely killed JiveWorld for it being his first one! A former 7 Summits Solutions Architect, Roguen is now the Director of Global Services at Liferay.

• Jem Janik - An Internal Community Manager for Alcatel-Lucent, Jem shares great blog posts in The specified item was not found. and Internal Communities. Her most popular blog in 2013 was Social intranet unlocks knowledge and creates value after their community celebrated its 3rd birthday. Jem's blogs are always full of great takeaways for other community managers. In The specified item was not found., she discusses how to handle if and when community members cross the line. Jem is a must follow if you're a community manager yourself.

Thanks to all of our outstanding Jive Community Members. I challenge you to make the top contributor list for 2014!

Share the love: who was your most favorite and helpful community member in 2013?

Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 9.54.42 AM.pngThe social team would like to thank everyone who contributed content or engaged with content in the Jive Community in 2013. We hope the Jive Community was and will continue to be a place you turn to for insights and to have intelligent conversations about your social business endeavors. As we close the 2013 folder and start one for 2014 we're celebrating the top 10 blog posts based on engagement within the Jive Community. Enjoy them if you missed them the first time around!

10. tara.panu : Transforming Company Culture Through Social Business

9. Melissa Barker : How a Social Intranet Transformed Thomson Reuters' Workforce

8. Claire Flanagan : Community Management Fundamentals Training Starts Dec 19

7. Ryan Rutan : Celebrate Community Manager Appreciation Day

6. gialyons : The Problem with Traditional Intranets

5. elizabeth.brigham : 8 Concrete Steps You Can Take To Becoming Truly Customer Centric

4. elizabeth.brigham : The Tactical Truth about Content Marketing

3. gialyons : Why Your Intranet Should be Seamlessly Social

2. Sean Winter : Jive's Response to "Employees don't like their social intranets, study says"

And the number one piece of content in the Jive Community in 2013 is...

1. elizabeth.brigham : Moving From Social Media to Social Business

The social team is very excited to see what 2014 brings!

What were your favorite and most enlightening pieces of content in the Jive Community in 2013?

Social Communities play important role in successful engagements with the employees, partners and customers. A successful social community could add lot of value to any enterprise. Enhancing brand loyalty, increase in sales, reduction in customer service costs, improving onboarding and learning process, better task and project management, crowdsourcing of ideas and content etc, social communities have many benefits which could directly add to the bottom line of any enterprise.

In spite of using best social technologies available, many enterprises are witnessing their communities becoming virtual ghost towns and the major reason for the failure is stakeholder’s disengagement.

How to address this issue? I have tried to present 10 steps which could help a great deal in ensuring community success. Here they are….

1. Never build your strategy around technology alone- People are equally important if not more. They have their own idiosyncrasies. Some favor and some resist changes. But most of the time we see resistance when there is a major overhaul in the way we work. Law of Inertia. It’s universal. Think how people would take the new change. Could it be solved just by technology or would need more human efforts. More than a technology or platform, a Social Community is about people. There could be technology worth millions but its people who actually make or mar any initiative.
  2. It should have alignment with organization’s objective and should categorically have senior level buy-ins. The community manager and few of the social business enthusiasts cannot easily drive it to the desired success unless it has executive sponsorship. Involve the top bracket management.

3. A good way to learn is to observe people doing it. While suggesting solutions to a call center, we do an exercise called ‘agent shadowing’, that’s actually watching an agent taking calls and resolving queries for hours without interfering. We get to learn a lot about his pain points which even he might not know. Try this to study about social communities.  Do ‘Community Shadowing’ and get insight on how communities on social networks like Linkedin, Facebook etc work. Test the waters before you take a plunge.

4. Let communities be an integral part of the enterprises’ workflow. Community as a separate communication channel won’t survive. It should be a part of the day to day business processes of the enterprise. Can the social community reduce the TAT (Turn Around Time) of a business process? Improve First Call resolution Or improve the CuSat score? That’s the Litmus test. Social should be what people use to get their work done on a daily basis.
  5. It should not just be the marketing or the IT which should drive the community but a cross functional team comprising of IT, Marketing, HR, operations etc. The senior management should keep a tab on all important matters related to community management.

6. Use methods like gamification for community adoption & engagement. Gamification is not just about leaderboards or badges. It’s the secret sauce to drive engagement loyalty. Game mechanics could help a great deal in motivating people share, engage and leverage on collaborative efforts.

7. Build strong community advocacy program. Empower advocates to drive engagement through training, content sharing, answering queries etc.

8. Measure. What can’t be measured could be easily missed. Social community too has defined metrics. Each community should be measured based on KPIs. Use analytics, dashboards and data visualizations to have insights about how the community is fairing, where it lacks and what needs to be done.

9. Keep all community related matters well documented. Must have are strong community guidelines & playbook. Enforce Security, Safety and ethics through proper moderation but the objective should be to harness and not hinder engagement & creativity.

10. Follow industry best practices and build an internal ‘Center of Excellence’ for social business and community related activities. Tune in to Social Business leader’s/ products community pages and blogs to learn more. Be always pumped up to take new initiatives and execute qualified ideas received through ideation.

Following my last blog post and continuing the JiveWorld365 blog series - I wanted to highlight three of the sessions from The specified item was not found. that covered some foundational Enterprise Collaboration points. Keeping the topics fresh from last week, this post will focus on marketing, strategy, and community_management. They are arranged below in a flow that I think is most impactful for someone embarking on their The specified item was not found. journey.

Executive Engagement

In this session, Benjamin Taub and nbussard talk about one of the most essential points in getting any change implemented in an organization: Executive Engagement. Getting executives engaged in any change that can impact employees or customers and how they communicate and collaborate is essential. Projects implementing social business and other collaboration software impact everyone, and having leadership from the executive team is essential. Without executive sponsorship, leadership and engagement, big projects, or projects looking to ascend to the next level of scale, run the risk of failure.

snippet://JIVEWORLD13_VIDEO_EMBED?code=1024-castellana-1-1300

Debunking Social Business Myths

Aaron Kim and Martin Teasdale cover one of the most foundational pieces of Jive and Social Business in this JiveWorld13 talk debunking social business myths. In organizations still unfamiliar with Enterprise Collaboration in the form of Social Business, many are wary of the potential or perceived risks associated. Listen to the veterans of the Social Business space and mythbust your fears away.

snippet://JIVEWORLD13_VIDEO_EMBED?code=1024-gracia-4-1030

Getting Community Mojo

Here, tfenton from EMC completes the foundational puzzle in this essential talk - How do you get, maintain, and increase Community Mojo? What are the pieces and actions required to build a rich, high activity, growing community? What makes people come back? Even with the other functions complete, no community is successful without mojo.

snippet://JIVEWORLD13_VIDEO_EMBED?code=1023-gracia-3-1300

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these talks, as well as any critiques on this post and my last. Please share!

One of my favorite things about JiveWorld365 is hearing about all the success Jive customers have had over the last year. Social business successes come in all shapes and sizes: executive buy-in and adoption, better customer service, increased community engagement, launching and rolling out a social intranet, cost savings, increased sales, increasingly positive brand sentiment.... I could go on and on.

There were so many wins revealed and shared at JiveWorld13 that we wanted to collect and share some of them in one place. Congrats and thanks to the following companies and their awesome representatives that shared some Jive value statements:

Find Tweets and links to articles and videos that elaborate on their successes in this SlideShare.

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 3.23.41 PM.png

I realize that these examples are just scratching the tip of the value statement iceberg.  Also, it's the perfect time of year to reflect on what you've accomplished and set your 2014 social business goals.  For those companies that weren't mentioned, feel free to share your value statements as a comment below so we can celebrate y'all as well!

Business is on a change mode. We are in a Social Economy today and the Hobson’s choice for Enterprises is to Evolve or to Extinct.

Social Business could be a change engine and could directly contribute into the top and bottom-line of any organization. According to Mckinsey, USD 1.3 trillion of annual value could be unlocked using social business. It could radically improve strategic alignment, innovation & productivity in any enterprise. It could enhance collaboration, communications & knowledge sharing, align Employees to organization culture, enable crowdsourcing of content & ideas, make Q&A faster, locating experts/ mavens easier, reduce service / support costs, grow brand advocacy etc. Benefits are many so no wonder social is top priority for the CXO bracket across all businesses.

While there are evangelists who are gung-ho driving Social Business as a ‘transformation Engine’ and they have many success stories to show case too, many are still apprehensive - how successful the social initiative would actually be? Whether it would really add some value to the business at all? Gartner estimates that 80% of social business efforts will not achieve the intended benefits due to inadequate leadership and an over-emphasis on technology.
The choice of product could make or mar your social business initiatives. A good Social Business platform could make the journey to being Social a lot more easy. Selection of a suitable Social Business platform could often be a daunting task for organizations. What all should be considered and evaluated in a social business product? List is long and confusing too. Following are the 10 key check-points to assess if a social business product is right for you.
Any good Social Business product should have/ enable/ provide (may be through other partners) following features.

Real collaboration to get work done.
Ask your vendor whether his social product has an integrated communication system for seamless collaboration. All types of communication viz. chat, text, voice, video etc should be available right from the ‘news feeds’ of the platform. If a user sees an update and needs to connect with others over any of the channels, he should be able to, without him necessary to switch to additional resources like his company PBX or mobile phone. The users should ideally have an ‘Omnichannel’ experience when they use the social platform. Social’s purpose is to get ‘work done’ and not just to provide another siloed communication channel which people hardly ever use. Remember it’s all about speed, ease and convenience for getting work done. If that’s not happening…It’s not done. Most of the ESN fail because they are just vanilla products where people could just update status and not get any real work done.

Task Management and proper tracking of work.
Business is all about different people doing their assigned tasks- efficiently & timely. Productivity at work is not possible if there is no delegation of authority and proper tracking of tasks assigned. Often reason of failure at the workplace could be attributed to 'Stakeholders' disengagement' so a Social Business platform should foster teamwork. It should also reduce the email traffic within the organization; lower down number of meetings held and off course the quantum of phone calls. A collaboration platform should help people work on a project efficiently without any time or cost overruns.

Integration with existing business systems/ workflow
Today workplace is a farrago/ confused mixture of business software and applications. ESN could be the secret sauce to bind all these apps to get the desired outcome. Success of an ESN would depend a lot on how integral it is to the everyday works of the employees. A major reason for ESN failure is that it too just like other applications has become a silo within the enterprise. Using it just as a separate channel for communication won’t add much value. People use systems like ERP, CRM etc for their daily work done. ESN should gel well with the workflow to provide a seamless experience to the employees to work, perform and be productive. Using ESN an employee should be able to solve his real pain points. For instance reduce turn-around-time (TAT) in case of an insurance employee, reduce call-handle-time (CHT) in case of a call center employee, increased ARPU (Average revenue per unit) in case of a telecom sales employee etc. ESN is where real work should get done.

Content Collaboration, Governance/ EFSS (Enterprise File Sync & Sharing)
Today 50% employees of an enterprise are overwhelmed by content. 70% companies suspect their employees use unsanctioned file sharing methods. With the Consumerization of IT and BYOD becoming common at the work place, content sharing with security and compliance is a major challenge. Most of the companies today are haunted by the ‘Dropbox’ problem. Unsanctioned devices and cloud services often put the enterprises at risk. A successful social strategy isn’t complete without a safe & secure content collaboration strategy in place. How people would share documents securely in a social environment without using unwarranted storage system is an important question to be answered. Further issues like how to ensure synchronization of content so that there is ‘single version of truth’ for all the users is critical.

Enterprise Mobility
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) is changing the dynamics at the workplace. Especially the GenY/ Millennials who use Smartphones & Tablets at work want a more flexible & freelancing work environment. The Social platform too should be mobility enabled. It should be accessible across different mobile platforms like Android, Blackberry, Microsoft Embedded, Windows phone etc. and should support features like Mobile Content Management so that creation & upload of content built in HTML5 for customers, sales & marketing people is possible. It should enable integration facilities so that activities like syncing contacts, managing leads & campaigns etc could be done on mobile.

Community empowerment
Communities Management is key to social success. Communities both internal & external contribute greatly into better engagement. More than a technology or platform, a Social Community is about people. There could be technology worth millions but if people are not engaging, the social communities are bound to become virtual ghost towns. The platform should enable advocacy to empower communities

Analytics
What can’t be measured could be easily missed. Social Platform should provide analytics/ Data Visualizations for the managers and other stake holders measure social success. Each community should be measured based on KPIs based on Social best practices and key metrics. Use analytics, dashboards and data visualizations to have insights about how the community is fairing, where it lacks and what needs to be done.

Engagement Loyalty
Building a Social platform is not enough. There should be special efforts to enhance ‘loyalty’ to increase employee productivity, customer retention & partner engagement. A good social platform should have features like gamification. Gamification is about using game elements & techniques for better engagement. It could help to motivate participation, engagement, and loyalty. It’s not just about the platform, technology, badges or leader-boards but it’s the secret sauce for overall organizational success through better participation of the stakeholders in the key business processes. A good Social Business Platform should support game mechanics and gaming solutions to enhance engagement loyalty.

Foster Innovation
Innovation is the life blood of an enterprise’s growth. One of the key purposes of the ESN is to enable ideation & innovation. Remember, innovation is a continual process NOT an event. The ESN is expected to bridge the gap of gathering employees, partner’s and customer’s ideas for organizations success, growth and competitive advantage. It should help actively capture, share, and rate new ideas for actionable innovation and measurable business outcomes. It should foster collaborative thinking and help in metrics driven evaluation of ideas. Digital suggestion boxes cannot rightly fulfill the innovation needs.

Onboarding and Learning
People are the most important asset of any organization. IDC estimates that the average worker spends up to 35% of their time just looking for information. Traditional Learning systems & Onboarding methods don't work any more. New hires & employees are often bombarded with many ‘PowerPoint slides’ continuously which only creates more confusion. Today all industries are facing the problems of employee churn, poor employee engagement and Onboarding. Use of Social Business in people management could radically improve the HR processes.

It’s the Law of Inertia that people naturally resist change. Social Business is not just about a technology or platform- it demands change of culture within an organization. It will happen only when individual goals are aligned with the larger objective of the organization. Are we ready for the big rewards that Social Business assures for business?

This year, JiveWorld365 was nothing short of intense. More attendees, huge names, huge product change, huge business value.

We had some Game Winners and giveaways, partner sessions, user group meetups, and more social activity than ever before. Even with all of this, amazing Art from Android Jones, and a mainstage highlight from Dr. Eddie Obeng, JiveWorld still really comes down to two things in the end: the Award Winners and the Tracks.

I'll be releasing three videos each week, until I make all of the sessions public next year.  Today, I'd like to highlight a few of the tracks I found particularly great - touching on three different topics of Sales, Customer Engagement, and Social Intranet:

Sales - Arming Mobile Road Warriors with Tablet & Mobile Sales Enablement

From my background in Sales Enablement, I find the Mobile Enablement story extremely interesting - how does an organization get their outside sales teams the latest and greatest information, but keep it secure? Mobile is leading the change in how people interact, agnostic of the workplace. Listen to some of the strategies taken by Fortune 500 companies to combat these issues.

snippet://JIVEWORLD13_VIDEO_EMBED?code=1024-gracia-7-1415

Social Intranet - The PGi Times - PGi's Global Employee Newsletter Powered by Jive

Long time Jive Champion Cora Rodenbusch talks about the power behind strategic Corporate Communications with Jive. Interactive, innovative, cost savings, reduced time to plan, create, and manage the company newsletter? Amazing. Seriously one  of my favorite talks, definitely recommended.

snippet://JIVEWORLD13_VIDEO_EMBED?code=1023-gracia-12-1415

Customer Engagement - Own the Customer Lifecycle - Community as the Hub

Some of what BMC has been able to do with external communities and customer engagement all in a single external community are amazing - best practices around design, ideation, engaging employees (specifically product managers) with customers, and driving innovation through the surfacing of customer needs.

snippet://JIVEWORLD13_VIDEO_EMBED?code=1024-gracia-8-1300

Follow the JiveWorld365 space for more updates and highlights!

Does this sound familiar? When you start talking about “social business” or “social collaboration” at work, some of your colleagues freeze in their tracks, because they don’t understand the language and the technology. Often they’re people with years of expertise, who are knowledgeable about their work and aren’t accustomed to feeling uninformed.

It’s like asking someone who has never sailed to put in the battens and hoist. They don’t understand the terms and don’t have the motivation to learn them because they’ve never sailed. Instead, it’s better to ask them if they’d like to cool off, relax, and enjoy the beautiful view from the harbor.

Community managers play an important role as translators, motivating people in language that they understand before introducing new ways of doing business. Here are some approaches you can take to help people who are new to social tools understand them:

Social technologies and processes for internal use

Social Tool Use Case

Translation

Value

Blog for executives and subject matter experts

Be more productive, interact with a lot more people, and repeat yourself less.

Cuts duplicate effort, improves personal relationships, and provides faster action and reaction times. Improves communication and employee alignment to company strategy and goals

Discussion board for project status updates

Reduce email clutter and time lost managing it; centralize information so it's easy to find even after employees leave.

Saves up to two hours per day per person not having to manage project-related email, and increases knowledge capture and visibility.

Wiki for review cycles

Cut down on time wasted finding the current version of documents and editing the wrong versions.

Provides faster feedback and ensures you're always contributing to the most current information. Cuts wasted effort.

Microblog for work updates among teams

Reduce or eliminate project status meetings while staying more aware of project status.

Saves up to four hours per person per week in time previously spent in meetings.

Internal social network that centralizes employee profiles and includes tags and expertise fields.

More easily find subject experts in your organization.

Reduces duplicate work, increases innovation, and cuts time spent looking for information.

Online chat tool that lets employees ask HR questions

Lets you easily locate policies, documents, and other HR info

Centralizes more of the HR team, reduces time spent looking for HR information, and reduces HR support costs.

Social technologies and processes for external use

Social Tool Use Case

Translation

Value

Customer support forums

Give customers a place where they can connect, create niche support documentation, and help each other

Decreases time to answers to questions, cuts number of support queries, decreases support desk costs and encourages innovative uses of products and services.

Drive word of mouth by sharing blogs, videos, podcasts, and other content on social networks

Educate the market about your product by encouraging people to share content with their connections.

Reduces cost of sales and customer churn because customer is educated before sale.

Engage influencers

Provide those most likely to drive positive results for your company with access and value.

Provides market credibility, positive market impression, and sales.

Co-innovate and crowdsource ideas

Solicit and vet ideas from and assess risks with a broader audience then you could in person.

Increases the percentage of successful new products and features, and reduces risks.

Use a community to extend the value of an event

Reach 10 times the number of attendees by enabling participants to share and discuss event content before and after.

Increases the relevance and audience for your event investment.

Are you looking for new ideas and strategies for understanding and communicating the benefits of your community? The Community Roundtable has partnered with Jive to provide a curated self-paced training course for Jive customers at 40% off of our regular price – good until the end of 2013. Community Management Fundamentalshttp://www.communityroundtable.com/our-story/services/jive/provides an overview of how experienced community managers think about and execute on community management, internally and externally. Throughout the course, you will have access to a private community to ask questions and network with other virtual attendees.

The course kicks off with a live call on December 19th for those that are registered by that time. Find out more and sign up here!

*Parts of this post were previously featured on Information Week http://www.informationweek.com/social-business/strategy/11-ways-to-explain-social-business-benef/231902518

Filter Blog

By date: By tag: