1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next

Jive Talks

547 posts

Last week I talked to three separate prospects that rely on memos to communicate to employees. Yes, memos. All three embarrasingly mentioned how they actually use the didn't-you-get-the-memo joke.

What's more is that all three companies have big investments in SharePoint. But despite a few solid use cases where SharePoint helps manage high-maintenance documents, most Team Sites were fragmented wastelands avoided by most business users. I asked, "How do people find the information and experts they need to get their jobs done?" The common response: "There's no one, easy way to do it. It takes forever. Some people blast out emails, others pick up the phone. Whatever people do, they figure something out, but it's painful and doesn't scale. We end up reinventing the wheel and waste tons of time."

I can go on detailing painful details, but you get the picture. Traditional intranets, by and large, are failures. In many cases, then, people resort to email, and though email is good at sending a message to a colleague, it's awful for broad collaboration.

Sound familiar? Does your company rely on emailed memos? Is your intranet a soul-sucking wasteland? There's got to be a better way, right? As Director of Product Marketing at Jive, I'm tremendously biased =o) but there is a better way. And it's a proven way. We have myriad customers that use Jive to power their social intranet. But rather than read from a biased marketer, check out what we've learned, and what our customers have learned by grabbing our social intranet toolkit here. We'll also be kicking off a ten-part social intranet blog series where you can learn more about the Social Intranet directly from Jive experts, customers, and partners and experts.

What about your traditional intranet? What horror stories do you have? Are you still sending memos?

(click for larger view, or download in the attachments)

http://www.jivesoftware.com/files/images/infographics/Social-Intranet-Infographic.jpg

What's that you say?

I can speak at JiveWorld12?  That's right!  .... You too can follow in the foot steps of people like:

Steven Bamberger MarkBrundage Heather Burks Jorge Camargo Sarah Carter Nick Crawford Kevin Crossman Patrick Darling Kim England Krissy Espindola Claire Flanagan Heather Foeh Karen.Gettman Mary Hamilton rheskin Ted Hopton Jem Janik Brice Jewell Chad.Jones Brooks Jordan Kevin Joyce Thomas Kallstenius Laura Kelso Dianne Kibbey tristankime Scott Lawley Trisha Liu Gary Lungarini Tracy Maurer Todd Miller jeanne ericni25 Mpinchevsky Robert Reti  Jon-Michael Richardson jen.schultz PeterSimonsen John Stepper John Summers Daryll Swager Heather Tortorelli Andy Wang ... and that's just to name a "few"! =)

So how does it work? 

Wire transfers to a stranded Nigerian dignitary, tedious magazine subscription promotions, or a first born child perhaps?  No. (we tried those, they didn't work j/k). 

Instead, all you have to do is visit:  JiveWorld12 - Speakers and let us know what topics you'd like to present.  That's it!

Obligatory fine-print:  All submissions will be reviewed, and speakers will be notified in early May.

Sounds great, but what should I talk about?

For starters, we recommend that you talk about you!  But to kick start your mind, here are some thoughts to consider:

• How did you come to embrace social business?
  • What was your journey like?
  • What obstacles did you overcome?  How did you overcome them?
  • Last but not least, what role did Jive play in this journey?

JiveWorld is a conference for the customer, by the customer.

Customers want to hear from you.  Your lessons learned, successes, and failures all make great topics!

Topics that are historically in high demand include:

Social Intranet, The specified item was not found., Marketing & Sales, Social Business, Plugin Developer

Also, if you have questions, feel free to reach out to the Jive Community and ask past speakers about their experience(s).  A "few" have been listed above. =)

Hope to see your submissions soon, and look forward to inducting some new members into the JiveWorld Customer Speakers Club.

Note: There isn't a club "per say", but there is a secret handshake!  Am I kidding?  Submit your topic(s), and find out.

As popular as the term "social business" is in the industry today, there are still significant gaps in clarity about what it actually means.  Case in point:  Social Business, as defined by Wikipedia, is a:

... non-loss, non-dividend company designed to address a social objective within the highly regulated marketplace of today ...

This article is about a business with a social objective. For organization designed around social tools, social media, and social networks, see Social media.

Strange. In my life, I can hardly remember looking for something on Wikipedia and not finding it.  My hard copy 1984 World Book encyclopedia, that's  a different story.  Granted, it points me to "social media." which I feel covers aspects of "social business," but is in my opinion, nowhere near comprehensive.  So I started to think, the problem has to be one of two scenarios:

1. My definition of "social business" does not exist, is made-up, or may even be imaginary. (Yet Bigfoot and Bunyip appear to make the cut?  Note: Check CraigsList for pet griffin), or ...
  2. Wikipedia needs a correction, and I should finally sign up and share my 2.5 cents.

So before I get too carried away, I felt compelled to share my take on "social business."  To do so, I have assembled an evolutionary framework that illustrates how "social business" and perhaps "social media" can have such varied interpretations.  Goal:  To better articulate the "social business" landscape for companies looking to define/refine social adoption.

Social Business Evolution Portfolio
Display social business evolutionary progress.

10 Stages of Social Business Evolution

1. Self Enablement
    Productivity driven by "the one"
  2. Team Enablement
    Productivity driven by "the few"
  3. Social Intranet
    Productivity available to "the many"
  4. Ubiquitous Access
    Productivity "anywhere" and "any time"
  5. Customer Engagement
    Integrated productivity and coordination with Customers
  6. Partner Enablement
    Integrated productivity and coordination with Partners
  7. Hybrid Enablement
    Integrated team productivity across Employees, Customers, and Partners
  8. Enterprise Enablement
    Integrated productivity and coordination with foundational Enterprise Systems
  9. Social Awareness
    Monitoring en masse, reacting in time, and engaging relevantly at scale
  10. Social Process Management
    Established social indicators driving foundational business processes (*see below)

In social business, much like evolution, few paths or destinations are identical. This is in part due to unique business models, but more so to the fact that social business evolution is not always linear. In many cases there are logical progressions, such as: Self Enablement to Team Enablement to Social Intranet; however, there are multiple points of entry for social business, and each journey can be influenced by numerous factors, such as industry exposure, business need, and/or available resources. Still, some of these "stages" may not even be relevant to a company, thus creating yet another permutation. The result? A Darwinian marketplace filled with varied perceptions and realities of social business sophistication and status. And of course, a link on Wikipedia that started this article.

What stage(s) are you most interested in?

What stage(s) are you currently adopting?

Did this help YOUR perception of "social business"? Perhaps influence your definition? 

If so, you may find the Social Business Evolution Portfolio (above) helpful in not only visualizing your destination, but also communicating progress to stakeholders.

Note:  If you like this evolutionary framework, I have attached a worksheet pre-configured to generate this chart.

Most important: Should I sign-up for Wikipedia and share my thoughts? =)

* Beyond the organic lessons learned in the previous 9 stages, "Social Process Management"  involves the onset of social data analytics, establishing key performance indicators (KPI), and instrumenting an organization to react (if needed).  For example, much like the way the federal funds rate and prime rate influence credit card rates, Social Process Management would look to KPIs for proven correlations and automate behaviors and process to ensure timely and appropriate reaction.  Practical applications can range dramatically between portfolios; however, here are some common themes I have already seen in primitive form:

• Monitoring trends of key social topics for competitor footprint, and publishing ready-made content into social channels to reclaim the conversation. (a.k.a. low-touch newsjacking)
  • Monitoring aggregate conversation sentiment in external channels regarding products, and initiating conversation of product owner(s), management, and engineering on the social intranet to formulate a timely and relevant response.
  • Monitoring aggregate conversation sentiment in external channels to time releases of product promotions and corresponding marketing efforts

This is the primary reason Social Process Management is the last stage of Social Business evolution, as it should be based off actual results from your social business portfolio, not a hypothetical one.

** Productivity (as used in this post) infers enabling efficient execution of efforts that promote or add "positive value" to the business.

Social customer service in a nutshell

You have a question, another person has the answer. You learn from the answer and share what you've learned with others. Everyone benefits from everyone else's efforts. Now contrast that with the fragmented systems, the barriers to communication, and duplicated effort that typify traditional customer service processes.  It becomes a journey just to get to an answer that may lie with your colleagues, just feet (or meters) away.

I've learned a lot from our customers over the last 5 years. I've seen the difficulties customer service teams face when handling questions - first hand.  I know how those pain points can be reduced or removed by social solutions through frictionless information flow and sharing. And I've found that every customer service team needs metrics to measure value and promote further investment once the honeymoon period of 'new software' is over.

So how exactly does traditional customer service go wrong? And how does social customer service provide a better way? I helped put together the following infographic to show the impact of a complete social customer service solution, backed up by results from our customers.

You can learn more by grabbing our customer service toolkit here: Customer Service Solution Toolkit - Jive Social Business Software

And be sure to register for the upcoming customer service webinar here:  http://www.jivesoftware.com/events/webcast/register-accenture-thinkjar

(click for larger view, or download in the attachments)

http://www.jivesoftware.com/files/pdf/infographic/Customer-Service-Infographic.png

*Results may vary based extent of hydra infestation.

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.30.09 AM.pngYesterday was Super Tuesday in the United States.  It was almost exciting as the Superbowl in my house.  Throughout college, I worked for a state senator and then started my professional career off in public affairs.  For 24 hours, I was glued to the results of the Republican presidential primary.

I was especially excited to see the social statistics on this important day because as William Powers of Bluefin Labs stated, "social media is the frontier of democracy."

Even if you aren't a social media geek like me, it was impossible to login to Twitter, Facebook or even Instagram and not get overwhelmed by the amount of social buzz surrounding the candidates.  So I decided to setup a monitor using Jive Fathom Pro (which thanks to our community manager Ryan Rutan you can now download the app on the Jive Community), to see who generated the most social buzz.  I wanted to keep my sources small, so I just looked at Facebook and Twitter updates.

Official Results

Before I share the social stats, let's look at the official results:

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.14.49 AM.png

Social Mentions

As you can see above, all of the candidates failed to break out from the pack.  This was not the case for social.  Rick Santorum was the clear front runner, with Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich tied for second, and Ron Paul coming in last in terms of overall social mentions.

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.20.58 AM.png

Sentiment

However, pure mentions, weren't enough for me to analyze.  I also wanted to see general sentiment score. In Fathom the scale is from -100 to 100, negative to positive.  The data below shows that while Santorum had more mentions he had less positive tweets and status updates than the other candidates.

• Romney: 9.88
  • Gingrich: 9.88
  • Paul: 9.63
  • Santorum: 7.13

Conversations

Since social is more than just numbers and data, here is a collection of some of the more interesting updates. (NOTE: I'm not taking sides, just pointing out some interesting conversations).

From the Candidates:

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.47.49 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.48.21 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.49.18 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.51.38 AM.png

From the General Public:

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.54.11 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.00.46 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.55.13 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.58.01 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.05.14 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.06.30 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.08.31 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.11.40 AM.png

We've Already Moved On...

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.57.23 AM.png

Did you do anything special for Super Tuesday on social media sites?

To explore this question further, I sat down with Tim Zonca Jive's Director of Product Marketing.

Q: Are companies really replacing their intranets with social business technologies?

In a recent conversation with an industry analyst, he interjected, "You keep using the word 'intranet' as you talk about using social business for internal collaboration. Do people really use Jive as their intranet?"  My response: you bet they do. Our customers have been using Jive to connect employees at some of the largest organizations on the planet. For example, Yum! Brands, the world's largest restaurant company, uses our products to foster unity and creativity in the business units in 110 countries. They have found that global collaboration has sparked innovation, saving critical time and money.

Q. What business challenges is the social intranet trying to solve?

Whether you want to replace your intranet, or just give it a facelift by adding a social layer, you need to figure out why. And "better collaboration" isn't a clear enough reason.

If you don't know what problems you're trying to solve, you'll end up underwhelming and confusing your execs, chasing pointless integrations, distilling a massive vendor list, and wasting time. (Check out this great post from John Stepper on the topic: When your audience says: “No time. No money. No thanks.”)

Regardless the industry, I've seen our customers deliver a social intranet to address these main challenges. They want to:

1. Give employees a way to find the information and experts needed to get their jobs done faster, better.

2. Foster a culture of innovation and shorten the time required to take new ideas to market and to implement new ideas within the company.

3. Reduce the costs associated with keeping employees informed, aligned and trained.

Q. Specifically, how does the social intranet help improve internal communication?

I see our customers solve these collaboration problems across a few broad areas of collaboration:

1. Corporate communications: The top-down dissemination of information across the company. This can come in the flavor of communications from execs and HR, career development & training initiatives, and communications steering organizational alignment.

2. Cross-department, cross-organization collaboration: This is the type of collaboration that spurs innovation and connects people to the information and experts, outside of their team, that will help them get their jobs done better, faster.

3. Team, department collaboration: Working better as a team, for example marketing coordinating product launch activities, sales teams working around opportunities, R&D collaborating on product development, support solving customer issues.

Q. Show me the results.  How do we know this is successful?

Don't forget why its important to solve these challenges: Value.  According to Social Business Value Survey results, by using social technologies, Jive customers see a 32% increase in ideas generated and 25% decrease in onboarding time.

Q. What else is important to understand about social intranets?

It is important to have integrations with key intranet technologies and back-end systems. Providing rich integrations with common systems and apps like SharePoint, Office, Outlook, along with a powerful integration layer for custom integrations should be assumed as givens for any social intranet platform. Likewise, a great mobile experience for workers is critical for effective internal collaboration.

Q. What's the #1 thing people exploring intranets should takeaway?

Overall, I think social intranets empower end users to collaborate more efficiently, and inevitability helping solve key business challenges.

What's your take? Are you trying to address these challenges? Is your current intranet cutting it? Where do you think social business technology can help most?

Do either of these images look familiar?

office-party.jpg  Boring-Office-Party.jpg

Chances are if you work in an office environment you have witnessed one or both of these scenarios - the holiday party that got a little out of control or the boring birthday "bash" consisting of cardboard cake in a conference room.  While the planners had the best intention of getting co-workers to bond, most of the time, these events are a bust.

IMO, one of the best ways to increase employee satisfaction and connectedness is through social! Social tools have made it easier for people to communicate with others that are important to them in their personal lives and better maintain friendships. I found this also to be true in the world of social business.

In an independent survey of our customers, respondents reported an increase in employee connectedness by 39%. The survey respondents also reported that social business tools increased employee satisfaction by 30%. All of this adds up to higher level of employee engagement. This is a critical metric that translates into real, hard-dollar ROI.

At consumer electronics retailer Best Buy, a .1% increase in employee engagement survey ratings at a store translates into a $100,000 bump in annual revenues at that location, according to research published in the Harvard Business Review.

A 2007 study by polling and research company Gallup Organization found that publicly traded companies rated in the top 25% in employee engagement metrics posted earnings per share (EPS) growth nearly 9% higher than EPS growth of comparable companies rated in the lower half of the study. According to other research from Gallup, more satisfied employees equates to higher levels of all manner of related KPIs including: customer loyalty (+56%), productivity (+50%) and employee retention (+50%).

In summary, higher engagement = higher profits.

Plus, it keeps remote workers like me from feeling too isolated.  Just check out the extreme I went to with my "office mate."

Screen shot 2012-03-05 at 3.51.39 PM.png

(Yes, this really is MY dog Bailey in a tie).

I want to hear from you.  Has social business technology increased employee connectedness at your organization?  If that's too intense for a Monday morning, what's your favorite office party memory? 

Email. Email. Email.

Today, I got to geek out about #socbiz with Michael Brito, SVP of Social Business Planning @EdelmanDigital

During our conversation, I talked about an interesting question that was posed on the community this week by Esther Goh "does social actual decrease email or does it just move the same conversation to a new technology?"  Esther was referencing a Jive customer survey we released last year that showcased the following employee engagement benefits:

https://community.jivesoftware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-3859-47965/Survey+summary+for+TechCrunch+Interview-6.pptx-5.jpg

Here are my thoughts: according to IDC, the average knowledge worker spends 13 hours per week writing and reading emails. That represents an annualized cost per employee of $21,000. This number likely stretches higher in higher-paying organizations or verticals, and for higher job roles. There are even indications the IDC numbers are quite conservative. A survey of 1,000 workers in the United Kingdom by Star, a provider of on-demand computing and communication services, found that employees spend, on average, 32.5, 8-hour work days a year on email alone.

The benefits of social tools are undeniable. Based on sheer adoption numbers (ie. hundreds of millions of Facebook users ), consumer social platforms have clearly illustrated a tremendous ROI in terms of allowing consumers to more easily communicate with friends and family and share information. For example, my best friend posts 100s of pictures of her baby on Facebook.  Sometimes, she will send out an email with a link to the photo-album.  This shows that social doesn't eliminate email, but changes its purpose– it's not a new message just different.

Reducing time spent by 27% would then represent a cost savings of greater than $5,000 per employee, per year. Beyond hard dollar savings, reducing email has other beneficial effects.

Social platforms for enterprise logically extend these capabilities. IMO, I don't think the survey would be fair if it didn't take into consideration things like email notifications so I would hope that the 27% is actually less email into your inbox, net of the alerts.

Social technologies, like Jive, make information more accessible and more searchable by the entire organization and breaking down information silos that lead to related inefficiencies.  So it’s more than just a technology swap (ie. Email vs. announcement in a Jive group).  Social actual helps organizations be more productive.

Social isn’t just a replacement for traditional communications either.  For example, survey respondents also noted that meetings work better in conjunction with social business tools due to social mechanisms for capturing unstructured information through tags and other collaboration tools and annotation tools.

Even though we are now in the Post-Dilbert era, jokes about corporate life and copious time wasted sitting in unnecessary meetings and replying to useless email chains still ring true for many employees and senior managers alike. Social business appears to alleviate and moderate these woes and not just transfer them from one technology to the next.

What are your thoughts on this common debate?

Deirdre Walsh

Join Jive @SXSW

Posted by Deirdre Walsh Feb 28, 2012

When people think of SXSW, they often imagine hipsters, rockers, actors, and drunkards descending down upon my hometown Austin.  But I'm here to tell you that it's more than "spring break for adults."

I've attended SXSW Interactive for the last decade.  During these conferences, I've networked with amazing social strategists like Jeremiah Owyang and Guy Kawasaki; discovered new technologies (hello, I got on Twitter in March 2007); and learned practical tips on how to build a word-class social program. So, if you are going to this year's event, we would love to connect with you!

SXSW POSTER FINAL.jpg

Jive House Party

Take a break from the intensity of the sessions and the hustle of the bars.  We are hosting an old-skool house party.

We'll have plenty of local food, including a mini-taco bar; an open bar stocked with Austin's best brews; and tunes spun by my favorite mixmaster, DJ Chicken George.

It's more than just a scene from a cheesy teen movie.  The best part of this intimate event will be the conversation. We are going to have plenty of networking opportunities, including real-life #tagging, and customers from companies like National Instruments.

Some of the Jive folks you'll meet include:

Ryan Rutan - Jive Community Mastermind

Kristina Johansson - Brewspace Bada** (our internal community)

Mark Weitzel - Mr. "Open Social"

Karen To - Crushin' Corp Comm Expert

If you plan on attending, please RSVP!

Interactive Sessions

There are more than 1000 sessions this year, but here are some of the ones I'm personally most excited about:

Social Business Meet Up

Big Data + Social Graph

Security and Privacy in Social Networks

The B2B Social Media Book

Programming Social Applications

@BettyDraper's Guide to Social Storytelling

Social Role-Playing: Brands and Publishers

Everything You Need to Know About B2B Marketing

Humanizing B2B Brands with Video & Comedy

The Promise and Pitfalls of Real-Time Marketing

Where Will YOU Be?

Share in the comments below which sessions and events you are looking forward to so that you can connect with others in the Jive Community.

Can't Attend?

Stay updated throughout the conference by following @JiveSoftware on Twitter.

Give Your Customer Service Organization an Inside Advantage

support.pngWhen you hear the phrase “customer service community” what do you think of? I’m betting that for most people, the first (and maybe only) thing that comes to mind is a public-facing customer community.  And no doubt, public communities are the centerpiece of any social customer service solution. But it would be a huge mistake to overlook the critical role of internal communities in customer service.

Internal communities offer a leap in service team effectiveness, allowing employees to share best practices, put their heads together to solve tough cases, and alert each other to important feedback, emerging issues, and trends. By spreading vital knowledge across the entire group, they can make the whole team as smart as its smartest members. Given the inevitable turnover in support staff and the high cost of training, the ability to capture and preserve expertise saves a boatload of money.

Compare this to the traditional tools still used by many service organizations: e-mail, IM, static intranets, wikis, and the like. Vast amounts of effort and information are lost or duplicated in such systems. Without an internal community, your customer service agents have to resort to those traditional, siloed systems to hunt for answers.

Many of our most successful customers have expanded from internal- or external-only communities to a combination internal and external, realizing big synergies in the process.

T-Mobile, for instance, backs its 150,000-strong Jive-based customer service community with internal collaborative communities, also powered by Jive. As T-Mobile Enterprise Community Manager Will Rose explains, their service staff used to rely on a  patchwork of nine separate systems for their knowledge base, customer feedback, collaboration and other functions. Now all those activities are supported by T-Mobile’s Jive communities, resulting in major improvements in knowledge sharing, rep effectiveness,call deflection and resolution rates.

Another customer, StrongMail, has two Jive communities—one for employees and one for customers—integrated via bridging. Bridging makes possible a variety of features that leverage the complementary relationship between internal and external communities. So, for example, customer service agents should be able to easily pull in unanswered questions from the external community, collaborate on the answers with employees who don't normally go to the customer community, and push them back out to the customers. In StrongMail's case, this has enabled their service organization to put customer concerns front and center inside the company and tap their globally distributed workforce to rapidly answer critical customer questions.

Bridging can also simplify knowledge base creation, with features that allow users to take a customer discussion, turn it into a document with a single click, edit it, and, with a few more clicks, publish it as a searchable, fully indexed article in the internal or external community.

These are some of the ways an internal community can not only make your service team better, but improve your external community, too.

Bottom line: if you’re leaving employee collaboration out of the customer service equation, you're missing out on some of the key benefits of social. It’s only logical to give your service team the same advantages you give to customers. That’s why Jive has bundled a 100-member team community as standard equipment in our Customer Service Solution to work alongside the customer-facing community. It makes sense.

If you would like to connect with others who are interested in customer service check out the group: The specified item was not found.

Screen Shot 2011-12-20 at 11.33.49 AM.png

Jive's Customer Service Solution includes team and customer communities with bridging; Fathom and Fathom Pro social media monitoring; and integration with CRM and Microsoft Outlook.  For more information check out the Customer Service Toolkit

Jive+2011+Highlights+Infographic_FINAL.jpg

Today we are hosting our first earnings conference call as a public company -- a major first for many reasons. Without going into all the details (which you'll see below) Jive had a great 2011. Bottom-line:  it's been a legendary year for Jive. 2011 could not

have been possible without our customers -- the visionaries in this space. A big thank you from all of us at Jive!

To our customers, I've said it once and I'll say it again, you are the agents of change. Together as a team, we have shown that social is no longer just the new way to business. It is rapidly becoming the only way to do business.

In the video below, Matt, Bill, and I -- along with some of our customers -- talk about how social is transforming work. It's the truth -- the future is bright -- not just for Jive, but for our social business ecosystem. I often reflect upon how you don't get many moments in your career to say "I was there" when a massive paradigm shift took place. And let me tell you, we are here now. If you look back on 2011, and ahead to 2012, social is the new currency in all of our interactions, personally and professionally.

Setup

(Note: this part was written back on 1/25/11.  And apologies if the images are difficult to read, pop them open and they will be just fine.)

A few weeks ago, Deirdre Walsh tasked me with writing a Jive Community blog post about how we could use Jive Fathom to monitor the ads that are played during the Super Bowl.  Here's what I've done, so far, with final analysis to come after the game airs:

I gathered the list of potential advertisers from multiple sources (for some reason, some advertisers like to keep mum about their Super Bowl ad plans), notably:

Set up 50+ (and counting) monitors for various brand names.  Many of the larger advertisers are doing specific product line ads, so there may be some overlap.  For instance, Chevrolet is running separate commercials for at least 4 car models.  I've split those into separate monitors to get more fine-grained results.

Here's the list of brands with more than one monitor, and the reasoning behind that:

BrandProducts or TermsNotes
AcuraAcura, Seinfeld, Soup NaziSeinfeld and Soup Nazi Return in Funny Acura SuperBowl Ad
AudiAudi, Twilight, vampireAudi is doing a vampire themed commercial: Super Bowl Ad: Vampires are no match for the Audi S7s LED headlights - Top Speed
BudweiserBudweiser, Bud Light, #makeitplatinumBudweiser is one of a few companies that has set up it's own hashtag for the Super Bowl.
ChevroletSonic, Volt, Camaro, SilveradoMultiple cars lines, under the Chevy umbrella.
ChryslerChrysler, FiatMost people will probably respond with "Fiat," but this covers both bases.
Coca-ColaCoca-Cola, CokeChoose your own adventure/ending type of ad, based on outcome of game, with polar bears.
DannonDannon, OikosIt's unclear whether this will be an ad for Dannon, or for their Greek yogurt brand, Oikos.  These should capture both, unless people can't spell Oikos.
H&MH&M, Beckham

Rumor has it that David Beckham will be modeling his new underwear line for retailer H&M.  Will people post about Beckham or H&M?  Capturing both.  Perhaps I should turn on the Fathom Pro image search for this one...

Fashion News: Super Bowl ad features David Beckham in H&M underwear - latimes.com

HondaCR-V, Ferris BuellerThis ad is causing a huge stir on the interwebs, as it was released already.  I suspect that we'll miss some of the results if people misspell "bueller."   Ferris Bueller Super Bowl Commercial: Matthew Broderick Reprises Role For Ad (VIDEO)
KiaKia, Motley, Lima, ChuckKia is debuting a male-fantasy commercial that includes super model Adriana Lima, Motley Crue, and martial arts fighter Chuck Liddell:  2012 Kia Super Bowl Ad Features Supermodel Adriana Lima - No Hamsters
M&MsM&M, brownThe Mars company is unveiling a new character: Ms. Brown: Super Bowl XLVI Commercial To Anchor Marketing Launch Of M&M’s Ms. Brown | The Big Lead
PricelinePriceline, ShatnerShatner is as much of a brand as Priceline, if not more.  Capturing both.
VolkswagenVW, BeetleAd will be for the new Beetle, but I wanted to make sure we capture people simply referring to the car as a VW.  VW stole the show last year with their kid-as-Vader commercial, so they're under considerable pressure to repeat.  VW Reveals Much-Anticipated Beetle Ad Ahead of Super Bowl | Special: Super Bowl - Advertising Age

I've limited the data I'm searching to only Facebook and Twitter.  I really want to focus on the immediate results on the social web.  This will reduce numbers, but hone in more specifically on those immediate and gut reactions.

There are also several ads that are only being run in select markets; I'm not tracking those.

I've added several qualifier words.  My results need to contain at least one of the following words or terms: superbowl, super bowl, commercial, xlvi, in addition to the target ("ALL") term.  This will also reduce the result set, but it will ensure the results we're picking up are directly related to the commercial that aired during the Super Bowl.

monitor.png

A preliminary check looks like Ferris Bueller and his ad for the Honda CR-V are early winners; we'll see if they can hold onto their lead...

ferris.png

Analysis

Well, it's Monday February, 6th, and the Super Bowl has come and gone.  How did the advertisers fare?  There were some definite winners, and some who probably wish they hadn't spent $3.5 million on a 30 second spot.  Because there were so many types of advertisers, I've broken the results out into categories.  After running through those, I'll do a summary analysis.

Consumer Products (not cars, not beer)

The top six advertisers in this category were:

AdvertiserNumber of Mentions*
M&M67,020
Pepsi34,032
H&M (using the "Beckman" monitor)12,669
Coke12,029
Samsung8,140
GoDaddy6,333

* remember, these are only Facebook and Twitter mentions...

M&M mention trends.png

Beer

The Budweiser company had several different products in the advertising mix.  In addition, they had a hashtag they released for the Super Bowl: #makeitplatinum, which appears to have been a bit of a flop, based on mentions.  Their commercial with the rescue dog, "Weego," was a hit.  Here are the results of the beer category (in which Budweiser essentially competed against themselves):

Bud Light15,576
Budweiser13,361
#makeitplatinum1,248

Total BudweiserTotal Number of Mentions*
Budweiser30,185

Bud Light mention trends.png

Cars

Cars are the category that most people expect great things from, commercial-wise, during the Super Bowl.  This year had some good commercials that resonated with folks.  In order to dig into the details, I've broken the cars section into two two different categories, foreign and domestic.

Foreign

Audi14,497
Kia9,279
Hyundai7,778
VW7,764
Honda (Ferris Bueller monitor)6,394
Acura5,974
Acura (Seinfeld monitor)5,305
VW (Beetle monitor)2,193

There are couple interesting things to delve into in the above data.  Several car companies did well with the multiple monitors I have set up.  You'll notice VW and Acura have four entries in the above table.  They were split out to ensure I caught all mentions by a particular advertiser.  For instance, many, many users referenced "Seinfeld" without mentioning "Acura."  The Seinfeld-specific monitor captured those.  So, if we roll the totals for Acura and VW together, we get a slightly different view of the data:

AdvertiserTotal Number of Mentions*
Audi14,497
Acura11,279
VW9,957
Kia9,279
Hyundai7,778
Honda (Ferris Bueller monitor)6,394

Looking at the data split out graphically, this is what we see:

Foreign cars mention trends.png

What's interesting to note from the above graph, is that the "Ferris Bueller" Honda ad created a huge stir when it was first released on January 30th.  On that day, we captured 17,998 articles, by far more than any other car maker, on Super Bowl Sunday.  However, they weren't able to sustain that momentum of mentions through the Super Bowl.  Finally, Lexus and Suzuki barely registered (and aren't included above): they each had < 1,000 mentions.

Domestic

Chrysler16,947
Chrysler (Fiat monitor)13,885
Chevy (Sonic monitor)3,518
Chevy (Camaro monitor)3,380
Chevy (Volt monitor)485
Cadillac401

If we roll this data up, we'll see a similar outcome, with Chrysler at the top:

Chrysler30,832
Chevy7,383
Cadillac401

And here's the data, graphically:

Domestic cars mention trends.png

Winners

Looking at the data for Super Bowl day only, here are the top 5 advertisers, as picked up on Facebook and Twitter, based on mentions.

AdvertisersNumber of Mentions*
M&M67,020
Pepsi34,032
Chrysler30,832
Budweiser30,185
Audi14,497

One more thing: if we include all the Facebook and Twitter mentions for "Ferris Bueller," starting when the ad was first released (Jan. 30) until today, Ferris squeaks into the top 3 based on mentions:

Honda (Ferris Bueller monitor)33,814

But, who was the real winner?  It was, of course, Madonna.  Would you expect anything less from Madge?  Madonna had more mentions than all of the top advertisers.  And the Puppy Bowl did well, too, beating all of the top advertisers except M&Ms.  Part of these results might be that the halftime show and the Puppy Bowl were on for a significantly longer duration than the typical 30 second ad slot.  Or, part of it could simply be that Madonna is Madonna, and puppies are cute.

OthersNumber of Mentions*
Madonna97,859
Puppy Bowl41,140

madge.png

Keep in mind that these are raw counts of mentions, only.  The cool thing about Fathom Pro is that it also analyzes the sentiment of each item returned.  But I might just wait to dig into sentiment analysis for another post on another topic.  2012 election, maybe?

What was your favorite commercial of the Super Bowl?

WOW - that's big.  I have to say I was surprised when I read that in Matt Wilson's recent article from Ragan Communications. According to a recent report from the Altimeter Group that's the average number of discrete social media accounts across global corporations they talked with (like Hallmark, Adobe, JP Morgan, etc.) - NOT including employee accounts.  Many companies don't even have an accurate count of all the corporate social handles.  And now virtually every employee has accounts across multiple social networks.  A tongue and cheek example of this absurd reality (from a recent YouTube video) we now live in -

That humorous example of the array of networks both companies and their prospective customers navigate now on a regular basis isn't too far off from reality.

So two questions to ask yourself-

1. Is information overload further exacerbated by social media?
  2. Could people across your company benefit from leveraging and tapping into social media?

On #1, I'm of the same mind set as Brian Solis, who wrote another great post recently on The Fallacy of Information Overload, and Clay Shirky - "There's no such thing as information overload - only filter failure".

On #2, I'd go even further and say that without an easy an intuitive way for people across your company to easily set up the right social media filters around topics and information that could help them do their job better they will NEVER be able to leverage the power of social media.

So everyone is on the social web, as my Social Business Index infographic pointed out a little while back, right.  Now is the time to throw everyone in the organization the life preserver before they really start drowning.

What do I mean by that?  I mean give every person a tool to leverage where all the real information across the web now lives - on social networks.  This is the way Jive thinks about social.  It's not just for the brand police, it's for every single person.  And I'm glad we have this philosophy because it's both unique across the landscape of all the social business and media monitoring companies out there, and it's helping every person in organizations that work with us to be more productive.  Specifically, I'm talking about integrating social media monitoring capabilities seamlessly into the company's social and collaboration network vs. just the stand alone social media campaign tracking tool that the brand police leverage.

If you haven't seen our Fathom app before take a quick look below at some of the features (and there's more detail in myFathom blog post from few months back) and I think you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

So yes, you have to do all the things that Jeremiah Owyang says in his report, but I'd argue that there's one giant to-do that is too often overlooked - solving the 'filter failure' problem for everyone in the company now that everyone is on social media

What are your thoughts?  Do you think every employee achieve better results if they could more easily tap into external social networks?

Recently Jive announced a partnership with Actiance, a leader in data retention and compliance solutions for regulated industries. The result of the partnership is a plug-in that integrates the Jive and Actiance systems and enables Jive customers to meet key corporate and government regulatory requirements. I asked Actiance VP of Marketing Sarah Carter and Jive SVP of Business Development Chris Morace about the partnership and the importance of a compliance solution for social content.

Screen shot 2012-01-23 at 9.40.59 AM.pngSarah, tell us a little about Actiance and the service you provide for companies.

Sarah Carter: Actiance enables enterprises in highly regulated industries to comply with corporate, state, and federal rules and guidelines while taking full advantage of modern communication and social systems. We help customers meet challenges such as eDiscovery compliance, data leakage, and the need for a common policy and reporting framework for simplified administration – not only when using traditional communication technologies such as email and IM, but also social systems. That includes both consumer social (Facebook, LinkedIn) and business platforms (Jive).

Why is social compliance important? How does the Jive-Actiance partnership address it?

SC: In the past, companies focused compliance efforts on systems such as email. In recent years, as Social Business solutions have become mission-critical at large and small companies, communications have been shifting to these systems. Many industry and state agencies have made it clear that retaining email records is no longer enough. Enterprises must keep records of social communications based on the content, nature and purpose of the communication. That’s created a potential compliance gap and presented companies with a difficult choice: risk non-compliance or forego the benefits of Social Business. The seamless integration of Actiance and Jive means there’s no longer a dilemma. Enterprises can take full advantage of the power of Social Business and still meet regulatory and corporate governance standards.

Who will benefit most from this solution?

SC: The companies who will benefit most are those in highly regulated industries with stringent compliance requirements – financial services, for example. Until now, some of these organizations felt they had to take a go-slow approach to Social Business because of the compliance risks. Now, with the Actiance-Jive solution, they can really tap the power of social while meeting all their regulatory obligations. So, for example, we’re seeing financial services customers taking quick action to meet regulations such as FINRA Notices 10-06 and 11-39. And customers who have been involved in various types of litigation are moving rapidly to put archiving policies in place so that Social Business content is available for eDiscovery.

Chris, from the Jive perspective, what was the driver that made you realize that a solution like Actiance was necessary?

Chris Morace: Our customers really drove this partnership with Actiance. Financial services has been one of Jive’s top three verticals for the last couple of years. Financial services firms are aggressive early adopters of technology, but they are also highly regulated at both state and federal levels. Because of this, we worked closely with these customers to understand how the use of Social Business affected their compliance practices. For example, one of our customers sits on FINRA’s (the Financial Services Regulatory Agency) board and was able to help guide us through the frequent updates by FINRA on what was needed. This ultimately led us to Actiance, who already had an extensive footprint in financial services. As we got to know their solution and roadmap, we realized that this could be the perfect partnership, not just for financial services but for other regulated industries such as life sciences.

So how will this Jive plug-in work with the Actiance system?

CM: The great thing about this integration is that it is completely transparent to end-users. One of the things that Jive’s customers love about Jive is the user experience, and we didn’t want to break that. Behind the scenes, however, there is a lot happening. All of the things that compliance and legal officers need to be mindful of can be maintained as policies within Actiance. When these policies are triggered, Actiance can pull appropriate information from Jive, maintain its relationship and integrity, provide management and security, and enable it to be easily navigated for eDiscovery purposes. The Actiance solution can also be used to protect intellectual property and sensitive personal information (such as credit card and social security numbers). And Actiance integrates with all of the leading archiving vendors if the customer wants to send the Jive data into another platform for long-term storage or eDiscovery.

Lastly, Sarah, as Social Business continues to become mission-critical, what advice would you have for companies in regulated industries?

SC: We advise customers to look at Social Business from a holistic perspective, i.e., one that includes enterprise as well as public social platforms. Platforms like Jive now provide a seamless way to interact with public platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Enterprises should look at implementing a compliance platform that can provide unified policies, security and management across all of the Social Business platforms and social networks they are using.

Well folks, its that time of year again. That's right, recovery from an action-packed triple-header of festivities honoring some of the most cherished holidays in modern civilization. By that, of course, I mean Squirrel Appreciation Day, National Hug Day, and Answer Your Cat's Questions Day! What ... never heard of them? You mean you haven't spent the last 48 hours hugging and consoling a cat while observing, with teary-eyed majesty, the art of squirrel nut hoarding?  Really??? Well, that just means you're well rested to celebrate a holiday that's rocking the charts. Today is Community Manager Appreciation Day!

History

Community Manager Appreciation Day takes place every 4th Monday of January as a way to recognize and celebrate the efforts of community managers around the world using social media to improve customer experiences.

Jeremiah Owyang initiated this international event in 2010.[1] People are encouraged to send sincere Thank You notes to their online community managers. People using Twitter include the #CMAD and #CMGR hashtag in their tweets about this event. Many online community managers and vendors in the social media marketplace post blogs in appreciation of their community managers. Cities with large concentrations of Social Media focused businesses, such as Boston, Austin, and San Francisco hold in-person meetup events to celebrate and honor those who represent and support their online communities.

Reference: Wikipedia

Community Manager Appreciation Day at Jive

Here at Jive we take Community Manager Appreciation Day (or #CMAD) pretty seriously! We have to-- we have TWO Community Managers! But that's something that you might not have known. While I am responsible for Jive's external community, my counterpart, Kristina Johansson is the Community Manager for Jive's employee community, known as Brewspace. She has been with Jive for almost 4 years and has been doing a stellar job keeping our community healthy, employees productive, and dodging praise for her efforts every chance she gets.  (Sorry Kristina, cant dodge a holiday)

This year for cmad, Kristina and I wanted to celebrate by sharing with you a little about who we are and our takes on community management. In the end, we see this day as an opportunity to promote the awareness and relevance of the community manager position in the modern enterprise and how it should be seen as a strategic investment for social businesses. So without further ado, here they are ... the Jive Community Managers:

swedish_mafia.jpg

Kristina Johansson

Jive Internal Community Manager

Born and raised in southern California, now enduring wet Vans in rainy Portland. Worked in support for 12 years before moving to community management.

Favorites:

Author:  Truman Capote

AdviceAnimal: Paranoid Parrot

TV Series: NewsRadio; Party Down; Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist

What inspires you in your job every day?

Primarily, it's the people I work with. Secondary are the rewards of carrying out projects and day to day tasks: creating order, being a trusted advisor, helping individuals and departments use our site effectively, helping to hang onto the small-company culture as we grow.

Do you feel you manage a community, or do they manage you?

Both. Your community's purpose and goals should be defined, but I am one of the users as much (or moreso) as I am the manager. There are certainly things I will make decisions about alone or with a smaller group, but if it's in Jivers' best interest to decide together or provide feedback about, I'll throw it out there. For instance, I am making decisions about non-departmental/"public" places, but when it came time to update our internal use guidelines, I wrote the draft but posted it for feedback to make sure they were representative of how we use Brewspace and how we want everyone to use Brewspace.

Ultimately, we are all here to work, so it must be an environment that gets people connected to the resources they need to get their jobs done.

If you could share one piece of feedback, on what it takes to be a successful Community Manager...what would it be?

Demonstrate desired behavior. To me that means living our community guidelines every day: Participate, Represent, Be open, Drive, Recognize others, Keep perspective, Know its limits.

Know your users and make it easy for them to get to know each other. Understand who they are as individuals, not as employee #3984. In your community, create ways for people to be comfortable with sharing who they are so others can get to know them too.

headshot.jpg

Ryan Rutan

Jive External Community Manager

Family.  Native Texan.  Technology.  Nerd.  Extrovert.   Business.  Strategy.  Nerd.  Theatre.  Enabler of the Impossible!  Nerd.  Sandwiches.

Favorites:

Hashtag: cmadrun, whoneedsaspacebar

TV Series:  Sports Night, Firefly

Movie(s): Shawshank RedemptionThe Power of One

What inspires you in your job every day?

I see the enterprise standing at the precipice of a monumental decision to adopt social business.  Helping cultivate success stories and being both a business and technology thought-leader are my ways to usher in this new way to business.  Plus, I really enjoy meeting people on the front-lines, and knowing that I make a difference.  callmecrazy, but I think there might just be something to this whole notion of making it financially justifiable for companies to invest in their employee's morale, and see exponential returns in productivity and innovation.

Do you feel you manage a community, or do they manage you?

I agree with Kristina on this one, definitely both.  Its a constant balancing act of promoting what you want in a community, and listening to what the customers want, while taking that feedback, and merging the two together to maintain a unified vision.  If you choose just one or the other, you risk becoming irrelevant, and that is the kiss of death for any community.

If you could share one piece of feedback, on what it takes to be a successful Community Manager...what would it be?

Walk the walk.  Plain and simple.  Be the example your customers follow, and inspire them to participate, do not "expect" and most certainly do not demand.  And to echo Kristina's point, be genuinely interested in the person behind the username.

On this day, Kristina, myself, and all other Jivers say: Thank You to ALL Community Managers ... you are truly appreciated! cmad

If there is a Community Manager you would like to publicly recognize for their efforts, feel free to leave a comment on this blog post giving praise.  Or better yet, tweet it!

"Happy #cmad, ... #cmgr #socbiz @JiveSoftware - http://bit.ly/yEcsnv

click here to tweet

If you are interested in learning more about the role a Community Manager plays in the enterprise, please visit The Community Roundtable.

Filter Blog

By date:
By tag: