1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next

Blogs: Jive Talks

597 posts

photo of liz.png

Elizabeth Brigham is a Product Marketing Manager at Jive Software, overseeing the Social Marketing and Sales Solution. Her passion lies in providing fellow marketers and sales practitioners a better way to get work done, beat the competition to market and close sales faster. Prior to Jive, Elizabeth was a Manager of Product Management at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Online where she managed content and commerce strategy for the Parks and Resorts portfolio of brands. She began her career at McMaster-Carr Supply Company managing call center teams, domestic and international sales operations, supply chain logistics, and sales software development. Elizabeth earned her BA in English Literature from Davidson College and an MBA from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. In this piece, Elizabeth explains how to engage sales with competitive learning:

With JiveWorld past us and Halloween imminent, many of us are knee-deep preparing for a big kick off to 2013. As a product marketer, I'm thinking about themes, goals and best practices to prepare for our annual Sales Kick Off event coming in January. More specifically, I'm working with my team to brainstorm strategies and tactics around the 4 E's - Engage, Educate, Energize, and Extend - adding those to our marketing suitcase of the 4 P's and C's. When I think about the 4 E's of Sales Kick Off, here are the main tenets that I keep in mind:

• Engage
    • Get buy-in and collaboration from marketing and sales to develop the kick off eventgia.png
    • Put together an agenda and content that will excite the sales team; keep it as short as possible while still achieving main goals
    • Think about "virtual" kick off opportunities for globally distributed teams
    • Figure out a way to bring in key partners/channels so they hear the same message as the rest of the sales team
  • Educate
    • Ensure all new product information is conveyed in an easily digestible format; include specific benefits and talking points that sales can use immediately
    • Reinforce learning through different channels - video, documents, discussions, etc
    • Connect sales to the appropriate product marketing SMEs
  • Energize
    • Make it fun; rally the troops; send them out with guns blazing
    • Share quotas, incentives and other comp plans
    • Present awards, recognize achievements
  • Extend
    • Develop ways to make sales kick off into a year-round activity/state of mind
    • Make all materials available and easy to access for sales post-event
    • Get sales ramped up as quickly as possible to close business faster
    • Shorten sales cycles by ensuring questions from sales kick off get answered and schedule follow ups as necessary

Over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing video interviews from our Jive experts on how they use Jive to deliver on the goals outlined above.

I want to hear how you're preparing for Sales Kick Off! What are your best practices for getting sales engaged in 2013?

• I am a member of six airline customer loyalty programs, but I would only recommend one to my friends (appreciate the great service, Jet Blue).
  • I have at least 14 frequent buyer cards shoved in my wallet, but I only visit one establishment enough to make it worth it (Nom Nom, Monkey's Nest).
  • I've "liked" 243 brands on Facebook, but I only engage with a few of them (I regularly share posts from ACL Live since I love music).
  • I've used dozens of enterprise apps, but only loved one so much that I decided to go work there (thank goodness for Jive).

iStock_000021690483XSmall.jpgMy point - building and recognizing true loyalty is hard. Sometimes social managers assume that by giving away the latest tech toy or, let's be honest, Apple product, they will build loyalty.  However, in order to be successful, it's necessary to build meaningful relationships with your loyal influencers. But what does this mean? 

A lot of people have debated the meaning of "loyalty," "satisfaction," and "influencer," so I'm not going to go down that route.  Instead, I will share 5 tips for moving away from being just another mass marketer on social to delighting your customers, employees, partners and fans.

1. Activate  You have to make it easy for people to share your content in a meaningful way.  Much like right-rail ads, people have become accustomed (a.k.a. now gloss over) social sharing buttons on websites.  However, when you build a meaningful or unique experience, they will want to share that with their network. For example, for a recent campaign, we created a Facebook application that asked, "What Type of Office Hero Are You?" After answering a few simple questions, users got an avatar that they could share with their social networks. What's even more interesting is that when people shared that information, I could see who shared, what channel they used, and how many people clicked on the link. In essence, I could track loyalty to the application and influencer. Plus, we gave our customers an exciting experience.

2. Reward  Building a good relationship with influencers is more than just increasing word-of-mouth-marketing.  It's important to also reward people.  For Jive's recent user conference, we created a series of online games for attendees.  We understood that people attending the conference are some of our most loyal customers; therefore, by doing online games, they could earn their share and be motivated by limited edition badges and prizes.  More than 10% of conference attendees completed the full game, and because several of the activities tied to social media goals (i.e., follow us on Twitter), we were able to increase our social reach among qualified people.

3. Recognize  Don't assume it's all about the #bling. Customers aren't always looking for a t-shirt or gift card. They are actually trying to build a better connection with you.  We regularly spotlight Real Office Heroes - a.k.a. customers who are pioneering social business at their organization. When we spotlight a user, we do a brief three-question blog post with them that is featured on our community, share the post on our social channels, have them show-up as the cover photo on our corporate Facebook cover image, etc.  Here is an example of a blog series highlighting customers: Real Office Hero Spotlight: Tracy Maurer, UBM

Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 2.41.15 PM.png

Weekly, we also do #ThursdayThanks on Twitter, highlighting community members that said nice things about the brand or our products that week. This is an idea we got from Emilie Kopp at National Instruments:

Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 2.23.06 PM.png

4. Amplify  Once you've gotten people talking, it's time to amplify their voices.  As seen by the examples below, we've taken customer-generated social content and turned it into conversations starters on other platforms. For example, when we recently sent Jive-branded boxing gloves to attendees of last year's user conference.  Enthusiastically, people shared tweets and pictures of their gloves. We then used that user-generated content on this year's conference website and on our official social channels.

Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 2.47.27 PM.png

5. Look Inside  You don't have to look far to find advocates.  At Jive, we've done a series of employee video interviews.  The subjects are nominated by their fellow employees, and informally discuss how they use social business tools to get their jobs done.  We've featured people from various departments, including support, human resources, engineering, and product marketing.These YouTube videos allow us to:

• recognize our best assets (our employees)
  • teach people about our software
  • generate awareness for the company
  • and even help us obtain new leads (true story - one video turned into a major deal)!

How do you build valuable relationships with loyal influencers?  Comment below.

J Award.jpeg.jpg

We have truly amazing customers. This year we had a record number of customers apply for a Jive Award and want to thank them for taking the time to share their success stories. It was a tough choice, and we are pleased to recognized six unstoppable customers who have really taken their use of Jive to a new level. I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you about these customers and why they were selected as winners for their respective categories:

Screen Shot 2012-10-11 at 5.19.56 PM.png

Health-Fitness started using Jive for Teams to connect remote employees who felt disconnected from corporate. Jive allowed them to link up program managers with the company and global colleagues, improving communication, collaboration, and a sense of togetherness. In fact, our esteemed panel of judges went as far as to say that, "They exemplify why Jive created 'Jive for Teams'."

Screen Shot 2012-10-11 at 5.20.16 PM.pngEngaging Employees

When it came to employee engagement, creative agency Millward Brown achieved a remarkable 86% adoption in their first five months, which enabled the company to attract new business, solve challenging problems faster, and build thought leadership through expertise location. Millward Brown has 84 Champions worldwide driving their transformation. Today, employees across 88 offices in 58 countries collaborate on a daily basis. The judges characterized their use of Jive as a, "Impressive, flawless implementation. Essence of what social is about." I couldn't agree more.

Engaging CustomersScreen Shot 2012-10-11 at 5.20.39 PM.png

For engaging customers, two companies topped the list and the judges couldn’t pick just one deserving winner. So we called it a tie between Verizon and Premier Farnell. Both of these companies have such unique and successful stories, they each deserved to win.

Verizon migrated off a previous Lithium community, where registrations for their community peaked at 150,000 users after a few years. After their migration to Jive, their customer community skyrocketed to over 1.7 million customers in the first six months.   With this huge active new community, they were able to resolve over 10,000 customer inquiries within the community. One judge even noted that, "I experienced their solution as a customer and it saved me!"

Screen Shot 2012-10-11 at 5.21.06 PM.pngOur other winner, Premier Farnell, leveraged the power of their 115,000 registered community members to help acquire and engage net new customers. They experienced an astounding growth rate of 600,000 in monthly visits from 30 countries, which represents a 200% annual growth rate. In addition to a growing their business by leveraging their community, Premier Farnell has significantly improved customer loyalty and brand reputation through their consistent and authentic engagement strategy. One of our judges observed that this is an "Interesting use of social commerce. They are a trendsetter for their competition to follow."

New Way to LeadScreen Shot 2012-10-11 at 5.21.15 PM.png

Jive is all about changing the way work gets done. John Stepper, from Deutsche Bank, embodies this ideal by inspiring his peers and other financial services companies on how they can improve their bottom line through the use of social business technologies. Deutsche Bank was able to de-commission six separate tools, dozens of websites, and countless antiquated systems that were formerly used to store and share content. The company managed to dramatically reduce costs by empowering its employees with the information they need through Jive, eliminating waste and generating value. Our judges said, "They really showed that there is a different way to lead the company through the use of Jive." One judge remarked that John Stepper is "…an industry role model. He has hosted meetups for his peers, speaks at industry events, and manages a thought provoking blog around the value of collaboration."

New Way to Win

Our judges selected PwC for the winner of this final category because of how the company mastered the use of Jive for employees, customers and partners. PwC aligned 180,000 people throughout 156 countries with their usage of their Jive community, Spark. With each new territory leader, they are able to immediately engage and connect with employees worldwide. The judges put it perfectly when they said, "They are a beacon for uncovering true business value! Citing just a single example of how PwC improved the ability to deliver quality proposals in half the amount of time than before using Jive!"

Screen Shot 2012-10-11 at 5.21.31 PM.png

We are really thankful to everyone who was able to attend JiveWorld and our unstoppable customers worldwide. What do you think it will take to win a Jive Award in 2013?

JiveWorld12 is here!

As the social media manager at Jive, I know our social ecosystem would not be complete without your help.  We appreciate the thoughtfulness and ingenuity in everything you do. To make it easier for you to get social this week, I've compiled a list of activities.

Have a compelling success story, or a funny photo from the show? We would love for you to share it!

Here are the major ways to get involved:

The JiveWorld12 Challenge:  https://community.jivesoftware.com/community/jiveworld

Be sure to take the JiveWorld2012 Challenges!  We are doing a series of games, and you can earn some awesome prizes and new Jive Community badges.

Daily, we will be posting the don't miss activities and onsite videos.  It's also a great way to network before you get to Vegas or stay tuned in if you can't make the show.

Twitter: @jivesoftware, @jiveworld, @jiveofficehero, #jw12,  #jiveon

We’ll be streaming mentions of #jw12 on larger than life monitors during JiveWorld. If you tweet and use the #jw12 hashtag, your tweet will be displayed for the entire conference to see.

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/fans.of.jive

Connect with a community of fellow #socbiz superstars and participate in fun activities.  I'm dying to know WHICH OFFICE HERO ARE YOU? (Jive Software - Palo Alto, CA - Internet/Software - Office Hero | Facebook)

Instagram and the Mobile Photo Contest:  @jivesoftware #jw12

Capture all your greatest moments using your smart phone, uploading to Instagram or the JiveWorld mobile app, and show off that unique artistic side for a chance to win some cool SWAG.

YouTube: www.youtube.com/jivesoftware, #jw12, #jiveworld, #jiveofficehero

Can't make it this year? Don't worry. We’ll be capturing clips of our customers and speakers throughout the event and posting them live. If you're onsite andcapture some of your own videos, remember to use the hashtags above when you share them.

LinkedIn: Jive Software Group Jive Software | LinkedIn

Join our LinkedIn group and stay connected to the people you meet IRL.

Google+:  @jivesoftware, #jw12

Share with your circles, give them the gift of Jive.  Leave no stone unturned.

Help us spread the word about JiveWorld12, make some industry history, and keep setting the social trend.  I look forward to seeing you in Las Vegas, and please let me know if you have any questions.

iStock_000017197148XSmall.jpgLike most kids, I loved LEGO.  I would spend hours building everything from a space shuttle to a house for my chihuahua (true story).

As an adult, building a community has that same sense of awesomeness.

Here is a list of the top 7 things LEGO taught me about building a quality community.

Accessibility. You can find LEGO building blocks anywhere (especially stuffed between the couch cushions at my cousin's house).  Social business needs to be the same.  A strong enterprise community should span internally and externally, across departments, geographies, and devices.

Usability. Unlike Ikea furniture, anybody can pick up a few LEGO blocks, stick them together, and build something amazing.  A good community should make it easy for members to go from a newbie to expert in record time, with engaging tutorials and introductory tours.

Fun. LEGO allows people spend hours being creative. Enterprise communities should engage users.  With recent improvements in areas like gamficiation, this becomes a lot easier.

Beneficial. LEGOs are more than just an entertaining toy. By playing with LEGOs, kids learn things like simple mechanics. The same should ring true for your community - members should learn through building and sharing.

Next Generational. LEGO has evolved its product offerings. In a previous role, I got to help launch the LEGO Mindstorms NXT. This flavor of LEGO allows you to build and program robots - a far advancement from the standard building blocks.  A good community will also adopt next-generation technologies, such as enterprise applications, social search engines that knows what you're looking for and find it fast, and adaptive social intelligence to provide more personalized, relevant results.

Versatile. By buying a single set of LEGOs you can make several different creations. One day, you'll build a log cabin and the next day a castle.  Building a community is similar. With an investment in one strong social business platform, like Jive, you can build a variety of vibrant communities for areas like customer support, sales and marketing, social intranet, etc.

Leader.  Every box of LEGOs comes with one of those cool little, plastic people. Like those guys, it's key to have a community manager, who can serve as the front-man. Altimeter Research’s Jeremiah Owyang studied community manager job descriptions from 16 different organizations and found four key elements: community advocacy, brand evangelism, savvy communication skills and editorial planning, and liaising between internal decision makers and community members.  One of my mentors was Jake McKee, who served on the front lines of community management for LEGO. Check him out Jake McKee | LinkedIn.

While building a community might not feel like child's play, just remember that it can be fun and the hard work will pay off in the end.

Now, if I can only get my hair to stay as perfect as the LEGO girl's....

HiRes.jpegLeading analyst firm Gartner named Jive a Social Software and CRM Leader in the 2012 Magic Quadrant Reports.

We could not have achieved this milestone without YOU - our customers, partners and employees who are helping us drive the new way to business. I’d like to thank everyone who has contributed to our success. We look forward to stepping it up to an even bigger level as we continue to improve our products and services to help you grow your business.

Here are some of the details behind this achievement:

We are a Leader in the two Gartner Magic Quadrants covering the social business software market:  Social Software in the Workplace and Social CRM. (For those of you paying close attention the Magic Quadrant for Externally Facing Social Software has been collapsed into Social Software in the Workplace). Gartner positions vendors in the "Leaders" quadrant based on completeness of vision and their ability to execute on that vision.

Complimentary copies of these reports can be downloaded.

We feel this recognition from Gartner is a testament of the strength and leadership of our social business platform. And we are just getting started. We are constantly looking at every aspect of our business and will continue to innovate and invest in creating the best products in the market. Just as consumer social technologies are changing the way we live, Jive is building social business software to transform the way we work.  I look forward to sharing our future visions with you at JiveWorld12.

carrie car.jpg

During the course of her five years with Jive Professional Services, Carrie Gilbert has guided dozens of Jive customers through the process of defining and implementing their community strategies, drawing on her extensive professional and academic background in interaction design, technical communication, and usability. In this piece, Carrie shares her insight on how and when to make a splash with your rollout strategy. Carrie also invites you to drop by and say hello to her and her team at the New Customer Experience booth at JiveWorld 12!

When we last spoke poolside, we discussed the situations in which a company- or organization-wide rollout strategy can be beneficial. Today we'll pick up where we left off, looking at some of the considerations of implementing a department-by-department approach, and then discussing some of the ways in which the two models can be effectively blended to achieve your launch communication goals.

The Departmental Rollout

A common strategy with successful Jive customers is the staggered rollout: deploying the community to smaller subsets of the organization in defined "waves" based on specific departmental or team needs. This approach is effective in supporting "vertical" usage models—that is, situations where you may be using Jive to support deeper forms of collaboration around a discrete organizational unit, discipline, program or event.

Some common examples include:

• RFP response process
  • Frontline support team knowledge sharing
  • Sales enablement efforts and sales tool creation
  • Collaboration in support of an event or project being handled by an outside agency

Benefits of Easing In

Unlike with an organization-wide rollout, a more staggered approach lends itself to iterative improvements: you can see what's most effective with each wave and incrementally evolve the rollout process (and the community itself) with each subsequent phase. Because of its smaller, more focused scope, it also allows you and your team to dedicate all your energy to proving value to a specified audience within a defined context. Plus, the smaller, tight-knit audience typically inherent in a vertical usage pattern is generally more likely to actively participate in online collaboration.

Things to Consider Before Dipping Those Toes

Despite the obvious benefits of the piece-by-piece approach, there are a few potential limitations to keep in mind, the biggest being the constrained visibility—and the constrained buy-in that it often accompanies. By definition, from a sponsorship perspective, a successful departmental rollout requires nothing more than a motivated team committed to better collaboration. As soon as that team begins spreading the word to other colleagues, however, the efficacy of that word-of-mouth will vary according to the degree to which each department or division's leadership supports the initiative. So, while your primary focus should be the current department's needs, be sure to keep others peripherally engaged and informed as well.

Decisions, Decisions...

So, aside from two tidy lists of pros and cons for each approach, where does all this leave you as you plan your rollout? Well, there's good news and bad news on that: Good news is you don't have to choose one! Bad news is you should do both, which can require a bit more planning and energy. However, by leveraging a hybrid strategy, you get the best of both worlds, while cancelling out the downsides of each. Make the big splash that's only possible with an organization-wide launch, while reaping the benefits of staying (mostly) dry as you ease into the water. Facilitate the "sticky" engagement (like users posting comments and replies) that is typically more common with a vertical model, while maximizing the visibility of your social business initiative that often goes hand in hand with a horizontal model.

Here are some tips on simultaneously balancing both approaches:

1. For your first wave of departmental rollouts, target the teams that are closely tied to your selected company-wide usage model(s). For example, if you're announcing Jive as your new employee communication platform, work closely with your corporate communications team to show them how they can do all their internal team collaboration in Jive, too. If you're promoting Jive as a company-wide onboarding tool for new-hires, make sure human resources is on your departmental shortlist.
  2. Keep the messaging focused. When you're addressing multiple usage models of varying scales all at once, it can be easy to lead with a pitch that tries to promise all things to all people. Avoid that temptation and always come back to the primary value proposition for each of your selected usage models.
  3. Remember that this is phase one of an evolving program. You have to deliver enough value to participants that they are motivated to return, but that doesn't mean you have to deliver a perfect solution on day one. Keep an open mind, learn from your experiences, and listen to participants' feedback to inform future improvements.

How do you plan to rollout your community? For those of you who have already been there, done that, which approach(es) worked best for you?

Creative Commons image credits: "Day 51: Summer in the pool" by eyesofgreen

Week 4 Jive Office Hero Banner 10.1.12.png

Heather Foeh is the Director of Customer Culture at Eloqua (which she thinks is the most awesome job she's ever had). She's responsible for nurturing and communicating with Eloqua's amazing advocates, as well as managing Eloqua's popular online community, Topliners. When she's not creating delightful customer experiences and loyal advocates, Heather can usually be found with knitting needles in her hands.

We had the opportunity to get Heather's thoughts on social business.

What's the #1 piece of advice you have to those new to Social Business?

It's worth it to spend time knowing your audience and planning what they need and want before you build your community. A two-day workshop, closed in a room, will pay dividends in the future.

What will you be discussing at JiveWorld12?

I'm looking forward to sharing how we measure the engagement of our customer community and tie it to customer retention and what we're doing to positively affect both.

In one word, what's your favorite thing about Jive?

To connect with Heather on LinkedIn and sign up to meet her at JiveWorld12!

carrie car.jpg

During the course of her five years with Jive Professional Services, Carrie Gilbert has guided dozens of Jive customers through the process of defining and implementing their community strategies, drawing on her extensive professional and academic background in interaction design, technical communication, and usability. In this piece, Carrie shares her insight on how and when to make a splash with your rollout strategy. Carrie also invites you to drop by and say hello to her and her team at the New Customer Experience booth at JiveWorld 12!

Summer may be drawing to a close, but that doesn't mean you can't sneak in one more trip to the pool before fall officially takes hold. You are faced with two options as you stand on the edge of the pool: gingerly dip your toes in as you adjust to the cool water, or jump right in with a big splash. So too are your options when rolling out your new Jive community: ease in one department at a time, or go for the company-wide cannonball. Which one makes the most sense for your organization? The answer is typically based on the types of activities you plan to facilitate with your Jive implementation and who those activities impact the most. We'll be exploring the company-wide approach in today's post, and then looking more closely at the departmental rollout next time.

The Organization-Wide Rollout

In many cases, this approach can just as aptly be called the company-wide rollout, but in particularly large organizations, it may sometimes take the shape of a division- or BU-wide rollout. This is a particularly effective rollout strategy for launching what might be called "horizontal" usage models—any situation where the target audience of the activities you're looking to support are effectively the entire organization.

Examples of horizontal usage models include:

• Informing all employees of a change in their benefits, soliciting questions and comments, and providing ongoing updates to plan information
  • Sharing Marketing templates, guidelines, and general updates with all customer-facing employees
  • Building momentum in preparation of large company events (such as All Hands or Annual Kickoffs), staying informed during the event, and continuing the dialog afterward
  • Connecting with like-minded individuals across the organization via relevant communities of practice (frequently related to a technology or discipline)

Benefits of Making a Big Splash

"All-in" campaigns can be more effective than a more gradual approach since they generally lend a certain heft or official-ness to the message being communicated—especially when they are scaffolded with messages from leadership. This can make it easier to show employees this is something they should pay attention to (not just more organizational "noise"). In some organizations, it's also easier to coordinate and obtain budget for one large campaign than for several smaller ones across individual units. Additionally, a company-wide rollout can often piggyback onto other programs or tie into value or mission statements. This can provide a clear context for the community's positioning and help ensure the broader audience is listening. And, since you are likely not the first one to launch something to your entire organization, you can take advantage of existing precedents of what works (and doesn't work!) for communicating out a new platform or program to your workforce, which can inform your approach and prevent missteps. Finally, when implemented effectively, there is an unquestionable momentum that results from a widespread rollout campaign that can be quite powerful.

Things to Consider Before Sitting in the Splash Zone

While all the benefits can make a company-wide rollout very attractive, there are a few caveats around this approach as well. You typically have one shot at communicating something out to the entire organization. So, you need to make sure you nail it the first time out. (No pressure, right?) That means you need to be prepared to deliver value to every new community member out of the gate to avoid a scenario where they log in, see nothing relevant to them, and do not return. Also keep in mind that while this approach works well for horizontal usage models, those models frequently lend themselves to more "consumption-centric" engagement. So your expectations and success criteria should reflect that. For example, if you post a debugging tip in the Java Developers community, while it may provide a lot of value, it won't necessarily result in each recipient of that tip posting their own ideas.

Next time, we'll take a similar look at the departmental rollout and explore how to take the best of both approaches to define the right rollout strategy for your Jive community.

Have you conducted or are you planning to conduct a company-wide rollout of your Jive community? If so, share your story in the comments below!

Creative Commons image credit: "Pool Splash" by Joe Shlabotnik

iStock_000016240475XSmall.jpgThis blog is part of an 8-part series on building a Social Business.

As a social media practitioner, I know it is sometimes overwhelming to remember all of the day-to-day responsibilities we have.

Did I post an update on Facebook?

Did I listen to all of my customers on Twitter?

What the bleep should I do with Pinterest?

How is my new YouTube video performing?

Add to these internal questions all of the inquires from corporate stakeholders, the blogs you have to read to stay updated on the latest trends, and education you must provide as a social pioneer, and it can seem like you are drowning in a sea of post-it notes (or in my case digital alerts).

As we covered, there is a lot of noise on the social Web so once you've started to Listen Up, Social Managers!, you can start engaging and the real fun can begin.  Here are some strategies I've deployed at Jive to gain efficiencies and ensure I'm spending my time doing the things that really matter.

Content CalendarScreen Shot 2012-09-26 at 9.50.40 AM.png

The first step is to create a detailed content calendar that tracks all of our proactive and reactive social conversations.  From Tweets to detailed blog posts, we are strategic about the dialogue we were starting and joining.

Integrated Content Strategy

Additionally, we leverage our limited resources.  For example, when we launch a new white paper, we re-purpose it into a series of blog posts, interview the author for a YouTube video, and promote all of these assets on both social and traditional outlets. This helps ensure we have a steady flow of information.

Vary Types of Conversations

We also focus on having different types of content and ensuring the frequency of each is relevant to each social channel (based on our previous ecosystem and engagement analysis).

• Industry / Social Business: Industry Trends (content created internally and externally), Hot Topics, Internal Expertise
  • Customer: Case Studies, Testimonials, Interviews
  • Brand Persona: Culture/Fun Questions/Images, Tactical Takeaways, Relate-able Office Banter
  • Niche Topics: Community Management, Customer Service, Technical, etc.
  • Promotion: Jive Company News (e.g., new executives, new partners, press releases), Product/Solution Offerings, Product Updates
  • Events: Industry Events, JiveWorld, etc.

We set a goal to have 50% of our content on sites like Twitter come from outside sources.  We wanted to ensure we were engaging and not a mass marketing machine.

Promote Content

Our plan for paid social is to Build, Nurture, and Convert our target audience. The early emphasis is to build Jive’s opt-in audience while opportunistically pushing conversions.  As we mature in this area, the mix will gradually shift as the nurture campaigns prove successful. (We are currently still working on this aspect our program).

Bridge Online and Offline

A great example of this is our recent Office Hero campaign, which we launched to help support a free 30-day trial of Social Business Software.  While the Office Hero YouTube video was central to our strategy, we wanted to engage in offline activities too.  So, we did some larger than life activities in NYC Times Square and at relevant events like BlogWell Chicago. We had social media coordinators on the streets engaging audiences, going to Good Morning America, and capturing all of it on sites like Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.

Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 3.06.49 PM.png  Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 3.08.09 PM.png

How do you ensure you are building an engaging Social Business? What has worked well (and not so well)? Let's learn from each other!

Links to Previous Posts in this Series:

It's Time to Define the Social Business Relationship

Does your organization have Social DNA?

Listen Up, Social Managers!

iStock_000021513385XSmall.jpgRight now, the Social Business industry is buzzing with information pouring out of the recent McKinsey report, "The social economy: unlocking value and productivity through social technologies."

Some of the most interesting stats in the report include:

• The annual value that can be unlocked by social technologies total between $900 billion and $1.3 trillion.
  • Over half of each work week, ~ 28 hours per week, is spent by knowledge workers writing e-mails, searching for information and collaborating internally.
  • 20-25% potential improvement possible in knowledge worker productivity by utilizing social technologies
  • There is 2 TIMES potential value from better enterprise communication and collaboration compared to other social technology benefits.

To get a better understanding of the current state of social, I sat down with Jive's CMO John Rizzo.

What is the #1 factor of success for building a next generation company?

As the economic realities of today continue to be uncertain and turbulent, companies must extract maximum amounts of business value from their number one asset: their employees.  Today, about 40% of enterprise spending goes to employee costs.  According to McKinsey, knowledge workers in the enterprise spend 28 hours a week doing email (invented 40 years ago in 1971 and I doubt we'd find anyone today that loves email), searching for information (does anyone really like the way that enterprise document search works?), and collaborating internally.  If companies can surface just one day more a week of productive time by cutting those 28 hours to 20, then we can create hundreds of billions of dollars in productivity.

Next generation companies are trying to unlock their most valuable assets - their people.  By using social business technologies, they can accomplish this goal as well as have greater sales growth, more innovative products, and better customer relationships at a lower cost.

What is the #1 trend you are seeing in the Social Business industry today?

We're crossing the chasm.  The early adopters are now truly able to show how social business technologies, like Jive, derive massive value. Overall, we're shifting from an early stage market to a mainstream one.

In one word, how would you describe the future of Social Business?

One word: Yesterday.  Social business is SO 2011. At Jive we've moved far beyond talking about Social Business as a technology and are now moving onto mainstream usage where massive business value is unlocked.  This is not about social anymore.  It's about taking what we've learned by being out in front of creating this market and being focused on technical features,  and unlocking employee productivity and value in ways that hasn't ever been possible until now.   Social is yesterday.  Value is today and tomorrow. And Jive is the only one with proven value.

Comment below to ask John Rizzo your social business questions.

Week 3 Jive Office Hero Banner 9.24.12.png

JiveWorld12 is quickly approaching! One of the speakers I'm most excited to hear is Justin Strasburg, Knowledge Manager at EVault, a Seagate company.

Justin has worked with technical support groups the last twelve years, both as an engineer and SME. In that time, he has worked on several projects designed to improve the online self service experience for a variety of audiences from customers to partners to employees. At EVault, he is leveraging Jive to bring the customer closer to the product enhancement lifecycle through ideation.

I interviewed Justin to get his thoughts on Social Business.

Justin, what was the business driver behind launching social business?

We needed to reduce our support cost by building a better self service portal and engaging our partners and customers to help answer each others questions.

What's the best success story you can share about your social business implementation?

Our support agents spend on average 2 to 3 hours less a week researching or looking for information due to our Jive implementation.

What advice do you have for people new to social business?

Make sure you have executive buy-off and support for internal communities. It's crucial in building the external community to identify your customer "champions" and nurture them.

To connect with Justin, visit his LinkedIn profile or sign-up to meet him at JiveWorld12.

We're all familiar with the following scenario - a customer complaining or asking a question about your company or product on Twitter.

Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 10.58.56 AM.png

This tweet is an opportunity.  Today's social Web provides great insight into what is being said about your organization, products, markets, and even the competition. By tracking important wikis, forums, blogs, and other Web content, you can now engage customers and prospects to quickly identify opportunities and threats, share them in real-time, and collaboratively respond.  If done correctly, you can help develop your company's brand WITH your customers.

In this case, the message is Jive listens to their customers.

Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 10.59.16 AM.png

In this post (part of the 7 Pillars of Social Business Success series), I will cover LISTENING.

Your public relations team is probably doing a great job monitoring online conversations; however, much of their gathered intelligence often lives in a vacuum.  It commonly gets buried in inboxes and on servers or is shared in a silo among team members who have access to expensive social media monitoring tools.

Additionally, with the "old school" public relations model, few employees beyond marketing or support teams are even empowered to actively engage customers and help develop the corporate reputation. I see this as a problem.  As the senior social media manager at Jive, my team is responsible for listening, responding and tracking key conversations.  We need a better method than spreadsheets, emails, and standalone listening services that charged by the keyword.  We need to bridge the conversations happening inside and outside the firewall.

Utilizing a combination of Jive tools and Spredfast, I developed 6 Steps to Social Media Monitoring.

Step 1: Collect Information.  The Jive social media team acts like classic telephone operators.  We use software as well as insights from our employees to listen to key conversations in the social Web about the brand, products, markets, etc.

Step 2: Filter. Then, we apply several filters to determine if the conversation helps meet one of our core social business objectives. We determines whether these conversations can impact our goals of support, product feedback, sales, marketing, public relations, or community-building. We also evaluate the source to see if they are influential or if we have a historic relationship with them.  Finally, we looks to see if responding would be a good opportunity from an SEO standpoint.

Step 3: Engage the Subject Area Experts. If it meets one of the items on the checklist, we post a link to the “actionable conversation” directly into the employee community or branded public community with Jive Anywhere. In the communities, we can then have a detailed conversations about the best response and pull in topic experts. This step is especially important at large or complex organizations. It is impossible for one person or a team of people to be experts in each area of the business, so leveraging the employee network and branded customer community helps ensure the best response.

Step 4: Respond. Either a member of the “core response team," or a topic expert responds on the original platform and links to valuable content and resources.

Step 5: Assign Sentiment. Next, we assign the post a sentiment score.  This helps keep track of our overall brand perception on the social Web as well as helps us identify any potential crisis communications issues.  We've found that 80% of the conversation is neutral; therefore, it’s really important to take action on the outliers. Keep in mind, while sentiment is subjective and not perfect, we've developed ways to use sentiment to help track the online attitude, opinion or intended meaning of a writer and their message.

Step 6: Analyze. All of these actionable conversations are then tracked, recorded and searchable for inclusion in metric reports as well as for making business decisions about innovation, marketing messaging, prospects, support plans, etc.

It's also important to note that listening on the social Web isn’t just about being reactive.  It's great for relationship-building and competitive insights.

For example, Emilie Kopp is the internal subject area expert on robotics at National Instruments (NI).  She was listening to a blogger talk about the industry.  Although the post didn’t mention NI, she was able to add value to the conversation by linking back to her own blog and a targeted discussion space in their public community for more information.  This simple task opened up dialogue and helped her build a relationship with one of the top subject experts in the world.

At Jive, we are also utilizing listening tools to look at competitor conversations.  We can see where they are being discussed, who their key influencers are and stay updated on their latest news all in one tool.

While 140 characters seems small, there is a huge opportunity when you listen, empower your employees and customers to respond, and utilize the insight gained to make real business decisions.

Click Below to Read Previous Posts in this Series:

This post is part of an 8-part series on the pillars of social business success.

social dna.pngOnce you have taken the big plunge and "DTR" with social business (see: It's Time to Define the Social Business Relationship) , you're ready to start integrating social into your organization.

Since 2006, I've had various "social titles" (community manager, community marketing, social media manager, social specialist, social business manager, etc.).  Despite all of this evolution, one thing always remains the same - you will run into people that think social is merely a way for new moms to share baby pictures on Facebook and will only reduce productivity in the office.  There are several ways to combat this and ensure that your organization has Social DNA.

The first step is to find a leader who is willing to back (or at least experiment) with social.  I've spent a great amount of time (and sleepless nights) trying to convert the non-believers.  However, I learned it's better to find and empower an executive who can champion your successes. Otherwise, you will spend wasted energy trying to get the entire leadership team to jump on the social bandwagon.

Once you have some executive support, you're ready to begin genome mapping internally.  There are various models for how to structure your internal integration; however, the one that has worked best for me is the Hub and Spoke.

At Jive, we used our own social intranet to create a virtual "social business team" with contacts in key departments that help integrate the social into their primary functions. For example, a sales rep drafts content for the rest of the sales force to send to prospects and current customers when we create a new Facebook App.  This group meets regularly to discuss strategy, review employee social guidelines, and get trained on specific social technologies.  The goals of this group are (1) to ensure all of our employees are empowered and rewarded for participation and (2) that we successfully meet our social targets.

Once you have a social team aligned, you can start integrating all of your Social Strategies.  We formed one core team to handle all promoted, earned and owned social media in order to drive activity, reach and engagement.  In doing this, we were able to create a social funnel and prove that social acquisition of fans and followers plus increased engagement equals leads and measurable sales.

The final integration, and possibly the most important, is to determine how to integrate social throughout the customer journey. This unprecedented level of connection means we can successfully impact, nurture and track from a "like" on Facebook all the way to a advocate using social technologies!

In summary, integration is key in order for social to work at, well, work.

Here are the previous posts in this series:

It's Time to Define the Social Business Relationship

What problems have you encountered in your journey to integrate social into your organization?

Week 3 Jive Office Hero Banner. 9.17.12.png

Gino Rossi is a Social Business Scientist at Quest Software. He is a senior web professional with a wealth of experience in information systems, online marketing campaigns, online social networks, business development, project management and customer relations.

Like with any company, each department and group has unique needs when it comes to project management.  Gino was tasked with the challenge of matching those unique needs to the Jive platform capabilities. I had the opportunity to talk to Gino about how he uses Jive.

What problem were you experiencing?

Early this summer, our Corporate Communications lead approached me about using the Commons (our internal Jive instance) to solve a collaboration problem this department was facing. The requirements were as follows:

1. Team Portal: a central area to store documents and hold discussions
  2. Calendar/Project: a way to track press releases
  3. Notifications/Stream View: ability to keep all team members notified of activity in their community

How do you use Jive to organize and collaborate?

With a new space on our platform, we achieved inclusiveness and high-level visibility of everything going on in their community. We then added a number of out-of-the-box widgets on the Overview page to help meet more granular needs. The "RSS widget" provided the community with quick access to the currently available public press releases from our corporate website. The "Categories widget" helped organize content that would be hosted on the community but was not a "Press Release". The "Unanswered Questions widget" drew attention to questions asked in the community. And the "Recent Activity widget" highlighted everything that was going on including activity taking place within projects. At center stage in the space is the "Projects widget".

How does Jive help with project and time management?

We created projects as a way to organize the releases of public announcements. Each project was named after the current year, such as 2012 Quest Press Release Calendar. Each press release schedule was created as a "Task" and it was either created by or assigned to the person responsible for that announcement. We configured the "Tasks widget" to show only outstanding tasks; completed tasks would fall off the view and if necessary a report of all tasks (completed & pending) can be generated from the "Actions widget". Inside the project, the "Project Calendar widget" provides a high level view of all press releases for that month, allowing community members to see upcoming announcements. Our products are broken down by business units, so we added each business unit as a category in the "Categories widget". This feature was critical to organizing the scheduled press releases once they hit the news wire. The final press release was uploaded to the project as a document (word or pdf) and a category was assigned to the document pertaining to the appropriate business unit. Tags for each post (uploaded document or discussion) would include the product name, product version, etc. This would help populate the tag cloud and further assist in finding the correct information.

How do employees stay up to date using Jive?

If you wanted to stay on top of everything going on in the Community and stay clear on the press release publication calendar, you needed to subscribe to "Receive email notifications". All the activity taking place within the Project, including the Press Release Calendar, would be displayed in the "Recent Content widget" on the Corporate Communications space. All team members could see all activities and collaborate when needed. Product Managers and Product Marketing Managers at our company appreciate knowing when certain announcements are going live or when postponements are taking place, which made the notifications and stream view a significant part of the community.

More from Gino:

Connect Gino Rossi on LinkedIn

Have a discussion with Gino in the Jive Community GinoRossi's Profile

Meet Gino in person at JiveWorld12. He is speaking on Day 3 at the Ringside with the Experts for Marketing and Sales Session.

Filter Blog

By date:
By tag:
Introducing Tracks on the Jive Community
Configure your Jive Community experience by selecting a track. We'll use this track on the homepage to show you relevant content and help you find resources quickly. You can change your track easily from the homepage or your profile.
As a community manager, you're an ambassador for your Jive community as you build places, curate content and engage with fellow community members. To help you go further with your site, we'll share success stories and other resources.
Whether considering a new purchase or working on an upgrade, technology managers need insight on the best ways to implement a community and learn more about the various upgrades in software releases.
An effective community starts with sound business strategy. As your community matures, you'll want to learn and share best practices for implementation and continued success.
Whether you're a developer, system administrator or a designer, you need insight on building a great user experience for your Jive community. Get the scoop on theming, API's, upgrades and more.
We've got a special area for partners to get essential information and best practices they need for describing and selling Jive to potential customers.
Whether or not you have a specific role in your Jive community, this track highlights areas of interest to Jive users such as training materials, community best practices and an opportunity to network with other customers.
save and close