Skip navigation
1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next

Jive Talks

765 posts

sally struthers.jpgAfter extensive research (time on Twitter) and deep study (that insomnia period between 2 and 4AM), I have compiled a list of the most common mistakes made by individuals on social media. I feel I should cite my sources so here goes:  Linda.  (Man, citations are a royal pain, aren't they??)

Now, sure, we're not all on social media for the same reasons. Some are here to network, to increase influence by building and engaging with people.  Some are here for shenanigans. Sometimes these two groups behave differently, and that's OK. That's what makes it interesting and fun.  Occasionally, the rules for all are the same, regardless of why we're here.

Don't cry, Sally. I'll make this as painless as possible.

1. No profile picture or, even worse, a horrible profile picture:

Your profile is part of your online identity.  It's a key component to how people connect to you virtually. Now, I get it - we can't all be beauty queens like Sally here. But, girl, work that selfie!  Show your smile, your personality, your quirk. Problem with a double-chin? Don't worry - I have an angle!

Shenanigans people: so you want to remain anonymous, huh? We're OK with that. Find something that speaks to who you are, even if it's not your face. Find a cartoon character or a brand or an item. One of my favorite Twitter people uses a drawing of her made by her toddler. Another friend uses Yosemite Sam. Your favorite wine label. A killer high-heel shoe.  There is something out there you can find to help people make a visual connection, even if it's not with your adorable face.  And Brandon??  Um, no.  Not that. Please.  I'm sure yours is lovely - I don't need to see it.

2. Profile empty or incomplete:

After the visual connection of a picture, the content of your profile is the next most important thing. Whether it's LinkedIn or Twitter or Jive - tell people what you're there for, give them a reason to connect with you.

Shenanigans people: same deal, dawg. Make it edgy or funny or sweet. Just don't make it mundane.  Anything but mundane. Most importantly, be original.

3. Locked-down privacy:

If you've chosen to engage on social media, you have to give 'em something. If you are so locked down nobody can see anything, you are sending a "No Trespassers" sign to those who may want to connect. Perhaps that's your intent - far be it from me to judge.  To me, it's kind of like going to church and when someone reaches out for the 'Peace be with you' handshake, you turn wearing a sign that says "I'm not here for the interaction."  Put out a little bit of a welcome mat if you're coming to the party.

Shenanigans people: let me in! Sometimes it's the tightest locked accounts that have all the good stuff! You are the back room at the club where one has to be tapped on the shoulder and invited to get through the green door. You make us all curious, and a little nervous. Keep it up!

4. Taking without giving:

Social media is built on a system of give-and-take.  Sure, that big account doesn't give you the time of day, even though your mama thinks you are a brilliant, shiny, unique snowflake.  But that doesn't mean he or she doesn't pay into the system. Don't worry about him - worry about yourself. Didn't your mama ever teach you that? If he jumped off a bridge... well, never mind.  If you're a taker - there to pimp out your content only without ever giving back to somebody - eventually people will be turned off by that.  I like using a rule-of-three.  For every 1 thing I push out, I take time to appreciate at least 3 things pushed out by others. Or maybe 10. Sometimes 20 or 30.  I like to give! It makes me feel less needy and greedy.

Shenanigans people: you're attention whores - just accept it, make peace with it, and let your freak flags fly. Just kidding - this rule applies to you, too.  Give more than you take.  Good rule for humanity in general.

5. Over-reliance on the Like:

Yeah, we all use the Like a lot. It's important - don't get me wrong. It says "I was here." It might say "I agree." Or maybe just "I saw this." and, go figure, sometimes it even means "I like what you shared."  But what if the world devolved into a place where all people gave was Likes?  IT'S NOT ENOUGH! We all want the interaction, the conversation, the discussion, the debate. Occasionally take time to engage beyond just the Like. Occasionally leave a comment or ask a question.

Shenanigans people: you're there for the feel-good whoosh of attention and interaction. A Like isn't enough for you - you want that deeply felt LOL or contemplative Haha.  It means something, man. A Like is one click. An LOL is only 3. Won't you give 3 clicks to make an under-appreciated sit-down comedian feel better about himself? You can make a difference! Please give. (You read that while picturing Sally Struthers wiping a tear away, didn't you? I hope so because that's what I intended. CAN I GET A HA-HA?? This level of comedy doesn't come for free, you know. Time to pay the piper!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Social media is personal - do it your way. But make sure you are sending the signals you intend to be sending and behaving in such a way that is consistent with what you wish to get out of it.  If you want the connections and interaction, then perhaps one of these tips will make you think differently about your profile or what you give in to the system.

But hey - if you're an enigma, a fiercely private person, anti-social... well, maybe consider one of these for your profile picture:

goopy-get-off-my-lawn.jpggetoffmylawn.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 10.17.27 AM.png

Guest post by paul.vinelli

A lot of people are familiar with Reddit's "Ask Me Anything" forums, where some of the world's most fascinating people will take on any question from passionate fans.  While we at Jive might not be able to land Joan Jett or President Obama (yet), our community members have integrated the AMA concept into the Jive platform to showcase their amazing executives.  This type of outreach connects corporate leaders with their employees, and creates top notch content to showcase broad thinking throughout the entire company.

So, who made this possible?  Our community members, of course!  After davidfcarr InformationWeek asked for Tips on hosting an executive Town Hall online?, four of Jive's most active thought leaders (Tracy Maurer, nbussard, Jem Janik) chimed in to discuss best practices.  Not only that, but Jacqui Chan of Deutsche Bank took it a step further and composed A Guide to organise an AMA on Jive so that everyone can maximize their Jive experience.  Her "critical success factors" outlined:

• Choice of executive to kick-start your AMA movement
  • Engagement rules
  • Orchestration
  • The "I GAVE" principle
  • Having a curated list of AMA guidelines handy for easy reference

Want to read more?  Check out Jacqui's post here.  And tell us more about how YOU integrate Jive into your company everyday so we can share YOUR story!

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a security expert; however, for the last month, I've been geeking out about the topic. Personally, the term "security" drums up the same level of excitement "social" did in 2006.

iStock_000024893774Small.jpgAs you may have seen in my post From Google to Gaga: The Top 9 Takeaways from SXSW 2014, the biggest breakthrough in tech this year wasn’t a new startup. It was the subject of privacy.  It started when Wikileaks founder Julian Assange Skped from an Ecuadorian embassy in London with more than 3,500 conference attendees.  At first, it seemed like a scene from a sci-fi movie with rhetoric from the latest conspiracy theorists. 

But then, Assange began sharing his point-of-view on the “military occupation of the Internet” and the ability for a few technology companies to capture massive amounts of information, creating a “surveillance nightmare.”  I left the session wanting to setup a Zuck vs. Assange debate and questioning the “share, share, share” mantra I’ve been preaching since I took my first social job in 2006. 

I continued to explore this topic. I went to sessions about Secret, a new app that allows users to “speak freely;” Darknet, a new kind of Internet where people can conceal their online behavior; and BitCoin, which enables anonymous payments using peer-to-peer technology to operate with no central authority or bank.

I started having flashbacks of my childhood, when I spent hours in Prodigy chatrooms creating fictional characters. I began to worry that as a technology community were going backwards.

Then, I came to realization that it’s about contextual privacy.  In our world of “connected things,” sensors are prolific.  They collect data about everything from location to heart rate. While I can’t help but geek out about the opportunity to use these new technologies, I must now UNDERSTAND what, when, where and why my information is being collected, analyzed, and shared.   As a good corporate marketer, I’m also on the mission to balance organizational needs with consumer desires.

Fatemeh Khatibloo, senior analyst at Forrester, put it this way, “context enables control, choice, and respect by putting guardrails around: data access and collection; data use; and data sharing.”

Additionally, she noted that contextual privacy addresses five questions:

• Temporal: When can I collect info about and when can I use it?
  • Spatial: Where can I use data about you?
  • Functional: How can I collect and use data about you?
  • Identity: What persona are you when I interact with you?
  • Social: With whom can I share information about you?

Before I grant another app access to my Facebook page, I want to answer the questions above about the service.

Finally, in one of the highest attended sessions, Edward Snowden, who is famous for disclosing thousands of classified documents that revealed the operational details of global surveillance programs run by key governments, called on the technology community to build products that protect the right to privacy through the use of strong encryption technology.

I'm excited and proud to work for a social technology company that truly values user security and data.  Millions of users across the private and public sectors depend on Jive every day to keep their information safe and drive mission-critical business processes. That’s why we’ve taken a no-compromises approach to security, privacy and availability that combines best-of-breed technology, a highly trained and experienced staff, adherence to the strictest standards in the industry, and the flexibility to meet diverse requirements.

Many have you been asking When will the Jive Community upgrade to version 7?  Well, I'm happy to announce that day has come.   We

iStock_000003041480Small.jpgare now on the latest and greatest version of JiveX. 

Here are the 7 new features I'm most excited to share with you!

Social Sharing: Easily share your favorite Jive Community content on social media sites.

Enhanced Profiles: List your expertise and endorse your contacts.

Impact Metrics: See not only who has viewed your blog posts and documents, but who has referred them to others.

Search Weighting: Get more accurate results from a streamlined UX and new "smart search" algorithms.

Structured Outcomes: Mark content for action, or find final and official documentation.

Place Templates: Use pre-configured place templates designed for common use cases.

Enhanced iOS Native App: Create content, search for expertise, and interact via your custom streams. 

For a full list of all the enhancements, watch The specified item was not found..

P.S. This blog post was created by using the communications template from The specified item was not found. Cheers to drinking our own champagne!

P.S.S. Visit Behind-the-Scenes: Upgrade the Jive Community to 7 for inside look on the process.

What's your favorite new feature in JiveX 7? Also, if you have The specified item was not found. or see issues report them in the The specified item was not found. space.  Thanks!

6a012876c6c7fb970c017d3cfc82f1970c.gifI know most of you reading that title are saying, "Duh;" however, it's an important reminder.

As someone who has managed corporate social media channels for the last NINE years (yes, I started with a corporate MySpace page), I often get wrapped up in the business goals and numbers surrounding social:

* How many fans and followers do we have?

* How many net new names are we getting from our efforts?

* How many clicks to the website did social deliver?

While all of those are important, I got an email today that made me sit back and reflect. First I thought, "Why am I getting an email? Everyone should message me in the community."  Then, I put my gialyons-esque rant aside and got excited.  The simple note made me remember why I created my first social marketing program in 2006.  I wanted to have a true connection in real-time with my audience.

You see, I started off in Public Relations.  I graduated with a B.S. in P.R. No joke! Then, I spent years ghostwriting for state and local politicians, phone pitching the media on behalf of companies like HP, and leading crisis communications drills for large energy companies. While all of these things were exciting, I wanted a more direct relationship with the "public."  The emerging social channels gave me that.

The social media landscape, however, changed in the last few years.

• There are only a few key social media sites, which are driven by data collection and ad dollars.
  • There is more noise, spam, and negativity posted than ever before.
  • There are a 8,224,925 people claiming to be social media experts on LinkedIn (myself included).

Why do I bring this up? Because I want Jive customers and employees to remember the best parts of being a company that "gets" social marketing.  We have to use social to build connections with customers, partners, employees, and prospects; share interesting information; and just be f'in cool. We also have to know that the social world is complex and sometimes nothing beats a face-to-face meetup.

So, I want to thank the folks internally at Jive and Rona Fouche at PWC for sharing the note below.  It made my day.

There was a power outage in the Phoenix Data Center and Rona Fouche from PwC said she first heard about it on Facebook by following Jive.

IMHO, social marketing is about truly about sharing the right information to the right people at the right time!

How have you seen social marketing evolve?  Share your story in the comments below.

Gamification 201, our second webcast in our three-part series, is now in the books. If you missed it, don’t fear… you can catch the on-demand version here

The webcast featured Community Managers from Hitachi Data Systems (Donna Garber and ngable) and SolarWinds (Michael Torok) and was moderated by 7Summits (jdavidson). The community managers shared their unique stories on how Gamification was implemented in each of their communities and how it continues to play a critical role in the success of their external communities. 

As Gamification 201 comes to a close, don’t forget what James Davidson mentioned in his opening of the webcast:

"Gamification should be a key part of your implementation."

"It should not be an afterthought and needs to be planned, managed, measured and adjusted as your company matures."

According to Gartner:

More than 70% of the world’s largest 2,000 companies are expected to have deployed at least one gamified application by year-end 2014.

However, Gartner also predicts that:

By 2014, 80% of current gamified applications will fail to meet business objectives.

So, continue to learn on ways Gamification can help you meet your strategic community goals.

Jive_Gamification301_Promo.png

Finally, I want to thank our speakers and audience members who made Gamification 201 such an outstanding webcast.

The final chapter in our three part series is Gamification 301: 5 Ways Gamification Helps Advance a Social Business Strategy.  The webcast will take place on Wednesday, April 16th at 10:00 AM PST and feature guest speaker Kim Celestre, Senior Analyst at Forrester Research.

In the webcast, Kim will discuss how Gamification can help advance your social business strategy, more specifically:

• What is Gamification and why it is essential in today's real-time environment
  • Five ways to advance your internal and external social strategy using Gamification
  • Examples of how brands use Gamification to drive and optimize desired action

Kim is an award-winning social media thought leader that specializes on social trends, challenges, and best practices that help marketers create social strategies and tactics that deliver value to their prospects and customers. Her research covers B2B and B2C marketing, with a specific emphasis on the use of social marketing platforms and online communities that shape exploration and buying behaviors. 

Don’t miss out on this chance to learn from this award winning thought leader!

We're saving you a seat. Register Now

iStock_000028641964Large.jpgOn March 10, I celebrated my 7th anniversary with my first social media darling, Twitter.  In fact, according to Twopcharts, that's 99.9 percent longer than all other Twitter users.

While we've had our ups and downs over the years, I still find Twitter to be a valuable social platform. Specifically (and measurably), for Jive, it's one of the most effective ways to share information about industry news, congratulate our customers, and connect in real-time during important events.

Luckily, I'm not the only one that sees value in this platform. Recently, CEOWorld Magazine named Jive CMO Elisa Steele one of the "Top Chief Marketing Officers You Should Follow on Twitter."

In light of this recognition, I did an informal interview with @elisasteele and gave her one rule: answer all my questions in 140 characters or less!

How long have you been on Twitter?

Started in 2009. Now it's part of my #workstyle.

What made you join?

Curiosity. Wanted to see the stories people were sharing. Had no intention of telling my own!

What made you get active?

Discovered @Twitter is a great platform to share what I love, learn from others and build relationships.

What are the subjects of your tweets?

#Moments #Work #Life #Whatever

You can continue this conversation with Elisa and me in the comments below or on Twitter at @elisasteele and @deirdrewalsh.

Summary

Effectively reporting on community metrics is a continued challenge for many Jive customers. We’ve taken new approach of using big data analytics tools that we normally use for IT data, have seen some amazing results. Skip to the “Playing with data” section and absolutely watch the video to see the results. If you are interested in my experiences leading up to this, start from the beginning.

Reporting is hard

I’ve been working with Jive as a user, consultant and developer for 6 years now, and one of the most persistent topics in my own work and in discussions with other Jive customers is (you guessed it): Reporting and Analytics.

When you are running a platform like Jive knowing what is happening in your community is relevant on many different levels:

• Community Managers need to know which groups are active and which can be retired to keep the environment relevant and less cluttered
  • Your marketing team wants to know which product areas are most frequented and discussed
  • The customer support team wants to know if their FAQ articles are found and reach the right audience
  • Sales enablement would likely kill if they could find out how a successful sales rep’s usage of Jive differs from an unsuccessful one

The list goes on, and I’m sure anyone who is responsible for a Jive powered community has had similar requests.

Now, all reporting solutions for Jive that I’ve experienced so far (Community Reports, Analytics, Business Object powered analytics, Community Manager Reports, JBA, Resonata and a myriad of home grown solutions customers have built) have one thing in common:

They make assumptions on what data you need/want.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan best practices in the form of out of the box reports. However, it always seems that in my day to day work with our own data and customers, something is missing.  So it seems I’m constantly exporting data to Excel or running database queries to get to the needed.

Example: The places activity CMR is great, but if I need to know who is using a group that I want to retire, I can assume it’s the group owner and ask them (more often than not, they don’t know either), or I can start running SQL queries against the Jive database. Not ideal, especially if this is a recurring task.

Likewise: The new Jive Business Analytics looks awesome, but what if my customers have a different opinion on success criteria?

47493814.jpg

A different approach

My path to Jive reporting and analytics nirvana (at least for me) started when we started working with the new data export API available in Jive 7 and Cloud. We ported the functionality to a plugin for a customer running an air gapped on premise installation of Jive.

To work with and compare the exported activity data I used one of the tools we use in our IT operations, called Splunk.

If you are not familiar with Splunk, it is a data analytics tool, typically used in IT and security operations to manage large amounts of machine data. It is very intelligent in regards to making sense of unstructured data and works amazingly well even with large datasets (think billions of records and terabytes of data not uncommon in IT).

So after creating a data connector between Splunk and the Jive data export service, it became clear very quickly that this was the answer to the vast majority of my reporting and analytics requirements.

Playing with data

So let’s get started. Here we have an overview dashboard that presents some community stats for me.

dashboard1.png

A global map of community activity, a high level health indicator (based on the level of activity compared to the average level of activity), and an overview report showing which activity happens where.

There are two things about Splunk that have changed how I go about working with community data dramatically:

• You always have access to the underlying raw data and you can always drill down to it

Dashboard2.png

• You can always change the source data for a report on the fly, no need for report building, SQL and Excel sheets

So in the example above I can see in the Place Activity report that most of my activity is happening in social groups. Let’s say I want to find the social groups with the least activity, so I can start retiring them. I can do this in two clicks:

• Click on the socialgroup link (which takes me to the underlying data)

• View the groups with the lowest activity

Step 1:

search1.png

Step 2:

search2.png

Since I do have access the raw data, I can actually take things a step further and click on the group with the lowest activity:

search3.png

So now I can directly see that Anna from the HR department was the only one using this group recently, and I can now reach out to her. Or I can use the Jive Anywhere cartridge we’ve built for Splunk to share this report with my colleagues. All of this within 3 clicks.

Of course this is just one example, but this complete flexibility has been amazing.

For more formal reporting, we’ve also created data models on top of the raw Jive data.

Let’s say I want to analyze content creation and consumption to figure out which departments create the most content and which departments consume it.

Create a new pivot using the content activity data model

pivot1.png

I start out with a new pivot dataset holding all events

pivot2.png

Add additional data points (Department and Activity Type)

pivot3.png

Departments added

pivot4.png

Activity Types added

pivot5.png

Switching to bar chart for easier visual analysis

pivot6.png

pivot7.png

All reports remain full interactive for drill down, and can be added to a dashboard scheduled and emailed if necessary

pivot8.png

And to blow your mind completely: This data is actually coming from two separate internal Jive communities for one organization, seamlessly combined. So if you have more than one community for historical or other reasons, like many companies do, you can now elegantly combine your data.

Conclusion

I hope this was of interest to you. The examples I’ve included are clearly only scratching the surface of what’s possible, but as I mentioned above, my approach on how to report and analyze Jive community metrics has improved dramatically. We’ve also started enriching the Jive data

We are currently working to package this, so it can be shared. If you are interested in leveraging this integration for yourself, please feel free to reach out to me.

TL DR

I've started using Splunk to analyze and report on Jive data. It is awesome.

WhatAboutBob.jpgWhat a dry title for a post, eh? Maybe I should call it "The Lizard that Sells You Car Insurance".

But this post isn't about lizards because ewww.  It's about "those people" - the nameless, faceless people that run an entity or a function.  Nameless, faceless people are always suspect. Those idiots at the DMV (for those reading who are not US-based, that's the Department of Motor Vehicles), for example. Nameless, faceless people are often idiots who are blamed for bad things. 

Guess what?  To someone out there, you are part of a nameless, faceless group.  Think of it in terms of your work-life.  Those idiots in IT. Those idiots in Accounts Payable. Those idiots in HR. (Just a bit of advice - never utter "Those idiots in Payroll" where you may be overheard. Bad, bad idea. Don't mess with Payroll!)

One definition of personification is making the inanimate come alive.  We see it in advertising all the time - the Geico lizard, the Pillsbury dough-boy, the Jack-in-the-Box who sells us cheeseburgers. 

What I'm talking about is a little different than that.  I lead a group who are sometimes referred to as "those idiots in Purchasing".  Hi, nice to meet you. I'm the head idiot.  I'm talking about the personification of a group or entity. Bring that group to life!

The truth is that Purchasing or IT or HR or AP are all made up of people and probably 87% of them are definitely not idiots. Nobody knows that, though, because they just see it as one big nameless, faceless entity. 

Enter Social Business. 

Social business is personal - it's not just a company or a department or a function. It's the people behind it - the names and faces of many non-idiots.  It's letting customers (internal and external) see those faces and learn those names and it's about creating engagement, connection, understanding, and trust.

In my experience, when your group is nameless and faceless, no one has any trust in what they are doing.  You could have the most brilliant minds ever steering the ship, but if nobody can see that captain or the crew, they think the ship is being tossed about on a corporate ocean at the random whim of the prevailing winds. They will not believe in the course you have set until they see and know the people who have set that course and are steering that ship.

Social business allows us to do that. Quit hiding behind a generic entity name. Encourage the captains and crews to step out on the deck and say "Hi, I am the captain of this ship." or "I am the crew member who manages the sails." or "I am the crew member who monitors the stars".  (That is the extent of my sailing knowledge all poured out in that metaphor. I learned all I know about sailing from the movie What About Bob. In other words, not much. Hey, I'm from Missouri - we don't sail on the Mississippi, people!)

My group has gained significantly in awareness, engagement, understanding, and trust since my company has implemented Jive.  We have made ourselves visible and vocal. We've put on our listening ears and we've collaborated with our customers. We have helped and guided and explained. It's not like I expect a point to come where we will no longer participate in this way - it will be ongoing.  But - and this is the important part - the more people we reach, the more visible we are, the lower the number of people who refer to us as "those idiots in Purchasing".  They know our names and our faces, they know we are steering the ship and adjusting the sails and watching the stars.

Trust is the golden cup here.  Social business via Jive is the means we achieve it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This blog post was inspired by a conversation I had with tara.panu this morning.  Thanks for the engaging chat, Tara!

Employee Appreciation Day Badge.jpg

Do you know why March 7th was significant? Friday, March 7th was Employee Appreciation Day! Generally held the first Friday of March, this unofficial holiday first hit the books in 1995 as a chance for all employers in all industries to focus their attention on employee recognition. SO, THANK YOU JIVERS! In honor of Employee Appreciation Day, we wanted to recognize the focus and innovation of all of our FABULOUS Jivers around the globe.

In celebration, each Jiver received a special Employee Appreciation Day 2014 Badge (yeah Gamification!) as a reminder that Jive appreciates, our GNAKs (Good Natured A$$ Kickers)!

Recent Props_3.7.2014.jpg

What do we appreciate? We appreciate their drive for results. We appreciate the transparency that all Jivers help to create within our organization, and most of all, we appreciate their commitment to changing the way work gets done.

We also wanted to give Jivers the opportunity to share THEIR gratitude for one another using the Props App in Brewspace.  We made sure all Jivers took some time to recognize one another.

And of course, in celebration of Employee Appreciation Day, we enjoyed a variety of fresh pies (U.S.) and festive treats (U.K. & Israel) to celebrate. We appreciate ALL our Jivers do every day of the year!

Did your company do anything special for Employee Appreciation Day? I would love to know!

Employee Appreciate Day Pics.jpg

2014 marks my 16th year attending the SXSW Interactive, Film and Music conference.  Throughout the years, I’ve been part of some historic tech moments.  I blogged alongside Scoble in 2006…literally, I elbowed him by accident.  I joined the Twitter explosion in 2007.  I sat in the front row for Zuckerburg’s keynote in 2008. While memories like these standout, this year’s event was the most holistically thought-provoking.  I left re-energized and inspired by new ideas, connections and passions.

Below are nine trends from SXSW that have motivated me to innovate.  Also, feel free to download this SlideShare presentation for the highlights!

1. Privacy

Untitled design (10).pngThe biggest breakthrough this year wasn’t a new startup - it was the subject of privacy.   Speakers like Julian Assange, founder of Wikileaks; Edward Snowden, an NSA whistleblower; and Christopher Soghoian, principal technologist at the American Civil Liberties Union; gave mind-blowing presentations about data security and government surveillance. Beyond the center stage, people were buzzing about Secret, a new app that allows users to “speak freely;” Darknet, a new kind of Internet where people can conceal their online behavior; BitCoin, which enables anonymous payments with no central bank; and Ghostery, which looks for third-party page elements (or "trackers") on the web pages you visit and notifies you if they are present.  Even with all of this news, we are just starting to scratch the surface of this important topic.

2. Wearables and Printables

Untitled design (11).png

While software enthusiasts preached privacy, the hardware gurus pushed sensors, wearable gadgets, and 3D printers. Google exec Sundar Pichai announced the company’s plan to release an Android-based SDK for wearable devices. In addition, several SXSW attendees demoed the potential to use new technologies.  I saw everything from a Twitter-powered, 3D printer that allows you to create your own Oreo flavor to smart medicine bottles that will send you a text message if you miss a dose. 

3. Legislation

Untitled design (13).pngFrom digital lobbying to patent reform to the power of the online “unruly mob,” SXSW made it clear that entrepreneurs and elected officials want to cooperate to modernize US legislation and government.  A new film by Brian Knappenberger called “The Internet’s Own Boy premiered at SXSW and shined light on outdated technology laws. This Kickstarter documentary follows programming pioneer Aaron Swartz from his involvement in RSS and Reddit to the tragic consequences following his hacking stunt at MIT. This film not only celebrates the life of an online visionary, but also inspires heated discussion about online access to information and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.  It’s a must-watch film for anyone in tech!

4. Data

Copy of  Copy of  Copy of  Untitled design   .pngYou couldn’t turn a corner this year without hearing someone talk about “small data” or “big data.” Lots of smart marketers showcased how they’re using information for research, personalized news delivery, and location-based incentives. The best session I went to on the topic came from the energetic Founder of Kiip, Brian Wong. His mission is to serendipitously reward people for everyday moments like running, playing games, and listening to music. For example, if your mobile fitness app detects you’ve just beat your all-time running record, a third-party consumer company could send you a coupon for a free sports drink.  Beyond entertainment, Wong showed that people want to be rewarded for completing a task on their to-do-list. Sounds like a new feature idea for Producteev!

5. Experiences

2.pngThe one thing SXSW does better than any other event is provide a platform for unique experience creation.  From small app companies to corporate giants, the most successful organizations focused on manifesting shared experiences - not pushing messages. (Hello, bacon-scented alarm clock!) In all seriousness - it’s time to get smart about our smart devices.  Soon, your tablet, fitness tracker, and refrigerator will all be connected. Brands must think beyond how to serve up a specific marketing campaign.  Instead, they must start focusing on how to create daily, customized experiences across connected devices and IRL!

6. Economy

Copy of  Copy of  Copy of  Untitled design    (1).pngFrom Uber cars to Airbnb rooms, most SXSW attendees participated in some form of the sharing/collaborative economy.  If you aren’t familiar with this latest buzz phrase, you soon will be.  According to Crowd Companies exec Jeremiah Owyang, “it’s a powerful movement in which people are getting goods and services from each other” rather than buying from big brands.

7. Work

1.pngYes, people talk about work at SXSW. In the session “Workhacking Away from ‘Business As Usual,'" strategist Ayelet Baron and Forbes Blogger Rawn Shah led a conversation about modern work. They painted a beautiful picture of  “café people” moving from:

- Work-life to life-work balance

- Function-based jobs to project-based work

- Competing for market share to creating new markets

They also made bold statements, such as "change management will die because it will happen too quickly", and "retirement will be a thing of the past." While I’m not ready to “divorce my job,” I was truly inspired by their passion, knowledge and predictions.

8. Community

Copy of  Copy of  Untitled design   (2).pngCommunity and social media got plenty of airtime at SXSW.  Jive intern paul.vinelli made several recommendations based on his experience studying the What.CD online music community. Some of my favorite takeaways included the following:

- Backscratching and praise leads to strong relationships.

- Individuals should be accountable for whom they bring into communities.  If you invite someone in who breaches the guidelines, both you and the violator can be penalized.

- Members must main a strong ratio of contribution to consumption - say goodbye 90:9:1!

- Community membership is in many ways its own reward.

9. Passion

Copy of  Copy of  Untitled design   (1).pngOut of the hundreds of people I listened to during the week, none exhibited more passion than pop-star Lady Gaga. My favorite quote from her Friday morning keynote is "at the end of the day, nobody's going to remember what you tweeted when you die. No one's going to remember your Web content. What's going to be remembered is those magical moments you have helped create.”

Did you attend SXSW?  If so, what did I miss? Share you favorite moment in the comment section below.

I'm really excited to announce that we just launched our very first custom app (developed in-house)!! We've taken the open-source code for Props and turned it into a great way for employees in our global workforce to recognize each other. It launched today (technically, at 7:45PM Eastern time last night to coincide with China's morning), and people are Wowing up a storm! Wow is our name for our custom version of Props.

How did this happen? Well, it all started when one of our People & Culture managers (thanks, brivera!) saw the Props app and asked the question, "Could Jive make this customizable, so that we could bring it more in line with our brand?" Mark Weitzel and I had been talking a bit at that point about apps in general, and so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. He said he'd heard the same question from another customer, so he put together a meeting where we talked about what we'd all be looking for. A requirements document came into being. Mark went about working with Jive folks to make the code ready for open source and the move into github. He then hired a great summer intern who added some specific hooks for the kinds of customizations we'd all been looking for, and helped to create some documentation. In the meantime, at UBM Beth worked on deciding what the app would be called, what the trophies would be for and would look like. We also found a development resource (kcastillo) willing to help on the project.

Fast forwarding past some slow starts and dry spells, a little shove here and a nudge there, we finally arrived at launch day this week! Although UBM is very divisional in focus, we were able to have the P&C teams help drive awareness, and people have jumped in and started using it right away. One employee even commented that because of the changes from Props to Wow, he is more comfortable and confident using it to recognize his peers.

It has been a great experience of collaboration between Jive customers and product management, internal collaboration in our own company, as well as ongoing support from Mark Weitzel, Ryan Rutan and others at Jive. And especially since we went through it with a very green team on our side (our first Jive development), Ryan was able to plug all of the documentation holes to make it super easy for anyone else who wants to follow in our footsteps.

Wows given.png

Do you wish your employees could say thanks to one another more easily, in a way that mirrors your culture? Maybe you have an external community and you want to encourage recognition between your staff and the larger community, using your branding elements. Custom Props is the way to go!! You can:

• Give it a name of your choosing
  • Add trophies that match your culture, with images that resonate internally
  • Merge Props trophies already received into your new app, so that awards already given aren't lost as part of the transition
  • Tie it in with BunchBall (Advanced Gamification) so that you can
    • Track usage (who is giving and receiving)
    • Award points to encourage giving, and the behaviors that prompted it
    • Award a badge for first time giving (for example)

Additional thanks to patohagan, Murali VP, Ramesh Seetharaman, Ted Hopton, and Ian Klein. And to anyone else I might have missed naming who helped out, I apologize!

wow award collage.jpg

Social business trends and best practices can change in the blink of an eye! I have found it hard at times to keep up with this fast-paced industry, especially with the frequency of conferences and technology innovation I’ve seen just over the past year.

Luckily, Jive's social team makes it easy to keep up with the industry’s brightest thought leaders!

Every month, we create a SlideShare deck to share the hottest topics, trends and corresponding articles being shared by social business thought leaders. Read on, and let us know if this helps you stay updated. This month's SlideShare features insights from:

• Gartner's mikegotta
  • Justin Somaini from Box
  • Richard Binhammer from Binhammer Social Business and Corporation Communications Consulting
  • sandraleupold.smz from Pokeshot///SMZ
  • Simon Scullion from Social Edge Consulting
  • ownCloud's Larry Alston
  • balasa from Jive

February Insights from Social Business Thought Leaders:

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 3.19.23 PM.png

Learn something new? Check out Jive SlideShares from past months to keep adding to your social business knowledge.

Think you have what it takes to make the cut? Have a new trend that you would like to share? Reach out to me, and maybe you’ll see your face in an upcoming Jive thought leader deck!

cc Internal Communities External Communities

These days all “Top 10 technologies to look for this year” lists invariably have the mention of Gamification. After all stakeholder disengagement is a major reason for productivity loss across functions & industries. No wonder, enterprises are willing to know more about gamification and how it could help in better engagement, sharing & collaboration and also how it could add to high-value interactions with customers, employees and partners. Gartner predicts that more than 70% of the world’s largest 2,000 companies are expected to have deployed at least one gamified application by year-end 2014.

Industry experts are all gung ho about the value adds gamification brings to an enterprise. While there are many case-studies on how gamification could help in building better engagement loyalty, there are words of caution too! 80% of current gamified enterprise applications will fail to meet their objectives, largely due to poor design says Gartner.
Big question is how to have the right gamification strategy and reduce the risk of failure?
Is there a framework for enterprises to succeed in their gamification initiative? Follows the best practices for enterprise gamification.

Have well defined objectives- Every industry has its own pain points and performance metrics. In order to set the objectives right it’s important to understand the key metrics of a business that are critical for success. Once such ‘critical business factors’ are identified setting goals around it becomes easy. For example-

a) Contact Centers would be interested to improve on the metrics like CHT (Call Handle Time), FCR (First Call Resolution) etc.

b) A Banking or Insurance firm would like to improve on CuSat, TAT (Turn Around Time), better recovery, improved subrogation yield etc.

c) A telecom firm would like to improve on its ARPA ( Average Revenue per Account)

d) A Health Care firm would be interested to reduce load on the critical care services.

e) A power utility firm would like to reduce its energy losses and improve customer safety.

Any improvement on the metrics which could directly impact a business and add to the bottom line would immediately attract executive buy-ins. Top Management’s sponsorship is important for the success of any initiative.

Identify the challenges in meeting the objectives- Have a clear understanding on why is the service levels not met. Best way to start is to ask the stakeholders write their top business challenges on a whiteboard and identify the ones that could be solved by better engagement. Most of the pain points mentioned above are pure engagement problems and could be due to one or more of the following…

a)       Lack of required knowledge/skills to perform 

b)       Difficulties in connecting with experts/ mavens

c)       Poor process/ system adoption/ deviation from set procedures

d)       Low customer loyalty/ higher customer churn

e)       Poorly engaged and less motivated workforce/ High attrition rate

f)       Lack of new ideas & innovation

g)       Boredom & Lethargy

Spot the motivation factors- Try to find out why someone would like to engage, complete the tasks and show specific high value behavior. The psychological behaviors make motivation factors vary from groups to groups. Understand why someone would like to score points or top the leaderboard. Reasons could be…

a)       Showcase the medals on ones lapel (as a matter of pride)

b)       Get recognized as an expert/maven in the network

c)       Compete with others and be a leader.

d)       Teaming up with new colleagues.

e)       Explore new skill areas & interests.

f)       Get monetary benefits & gift vouchers.

Design to keep players perfectly challenged- People will be motivated only if they find something interesting & challenging.  It’s important to keep the players always in a “perfectly challenged” state.

When challenge is <smaller than> current skills it may result in boredom;
and
When challenge is <bigger than> current skills it may lead to frustration.

Use the right game mechanics and program design. The system should automatically configure difficult tasks as the player’s skills are enhanced. This is critical in keeping the players engaged & focused always.

Measure and iterate- Measure the improvements in engagement and the benefits achieved.

a)  Use Heuristics- Make intuitive judgment on how gamification is improving engagement. Talk to the stakeholders and have their views.

b)   Get analytics reports/ dashboards generated by the software/ platform to understand on what motivates the players.

c)    Check the KPI & metrics to see the % improvement in objectives as we identified in the first step.

Be ready to improve the design based on inputs and the performance reports.

Enterprise Gamification could help in barreling through the problems related to disengagement of the stakeholders. A successful gamification strategy needs a detailed understanding of the enterprise needs and the objectives to be met.

Jive_RemoteEmployees01.png

Work isn't what it used to be. More workers are telecommuting from all over the globe via laptops and mobile devices – no longer is sitting in a brick and mortar office a requirement. Social collaboration has played a key role in empowering employees to work effectively regardless of their location, allowing them to share knowledge, find information and chat with subject matter experts from wherever they may be. Over the years departments like IT and sales have fully capitalized on this change – the question is why hasn't human resources?

According to Global Workplace Analytics, the number of remote employees in the United States has swelled 79.7% between 2005 and 2012. As commutes morph from driving to the office to slipping out of bed to shuffle down the hallway to a laptop, HR must modify its practices to leverage social collaboration. This goes beyond storing and sharing documents with employees and expands to include utilizing social collaboration to recruit and retain top talent, facilitate coaching and offer better learning environments, and accelerate the return on hiring investments.

Build It and They Will Come: Recruiting and Retaining Top Talent

Companies are more often reporting that their biggest pain point is finding leadership talent with the skill-set required who are willing to relocate. Social collaboration allows organizations to break down geographical barriers and expand the talent pool beyond their backyard.

It’s also the era of the freelancer – Adecco, a temporary placement service provider, predicts that freelancers will eventually make up about 25% of the global workforce. The bottom line is convenience is becoming the name of the game. Workers want to work where they want, when they want – an office-only policy could be a deal breaker.

Go Team Go! Building Organic Coaching and Learning Environments

Collaboration practices can unleash the potential in employees. According to Aberdeen’s 2013 Learning Study, 51% of the learning that takes place in organizations today is unstructured; that is, workers are digging around on their own to seek out knowledge rather than partaking in structured courses. Social collaboration software gives employees the ability to chat with subject matter experts, brainstorm with peers and access company information at the drop of a hat.

Reap What You Sow: Accelerate ROI on Hiring Investments

If you’ve ever started a new job, you know the most frustrating part of it is the dreaded “ramp time.” Getting up to speed in a brand new space isn’t just hard for new employees – on-boarding costs the business real dollars. 

Collaboration tools house everything an employee would need to know to ramp up on a new gig, beyond just documents and videos. A new employee now also has easy access to other employees and a first-hand look at how employees communicate with each other, processes and documentation.

Stay tuned in the coming weeks as we dig deeper into each of these HR initiatives – I've only scratched the surface in this post. If you’d like to learn more about how HR and social collaboration can work together in perfect harmony, check out these resources:

You can also register for an upcoming webcast featuring Mollie Lombardi of the Aberdeen Group tomorrow,March 6 at 10 a.m. PST/ 2 p.m. EST. She'll discuss these topics and more to demonstrate how HR can use social collaboration to its full potential – see you there!

Filter Blog

By date: By tag: