Skip navigation
1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next

Jive Talks

750 posts

Part 1 of our 3-part Gamification series was fantastic! If you missed it, you can watch it on demand. As promised we have more goodness to share with all of you, next up: Gamification 201: Winning with Gamification, A Guide to Success.

First off, THANK YOU to everyone who attended Gamification 101: What You Need to Take Engagement to the Next Level. We had a large turnout and our presenters, Jive Software’s Christopher Morace  and Bunchball’s Rajat Paharia, were absolutely phenomenal. They touched on various aspects of Gamification and showed best-in-class examples of how Gamification is not only tangible to many organizations across many industries, but also the associated success these companies are seeing today.

In addition, we had quite a few audience questions come in that we weren’t able to answer during our time. Both Rajat and Chris have agreed to review all the questions and supply a FAQ document as a supplement to the webcast for those that attended. 

As a preview I've included some of the questions answered courtesy of Rajat Paharia below. A full FAQ supplement will be available in coming weeks. If you have any more questions pertaining to Gamification 101, please reach out to me.

Q: Please list the books, authors, and studies you referenced in the webcast.

A: Self Determination Theory

Q: How did you convince people to participate and buy into the Gamification concept?

A: If there’s meaningful value to be realized for participating (whether intrinsic, or extrinsic), then people will participate – they don’t need to be convinced – they do it out of desire or self-interest. And participants don’t need to buy into “Gamification” – they’re just engaging with systems as they normally would, but now they’re seeing their “quantified self”, and are being give fast feedback, transparency, goals, competition, collaboration, community, etc. around it.

Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 2.54.29 PM.png

Q: It looks like focus is on the enterprise employee motivations, how does the motivation work when there is interaction between B2B communities?

A: It works exactly the same. Many of our joint customers with Jive are using Gamification in B2B Communities including:

Q: Where have you seen the effects of Gamification in the education system?

A: I covered this a bit in my book – Loyalty 3.0: How to Revolutionize Customer and Employee Engagement with Big Data and Gamification. Most of the interesting use of Gamification in education (as opposed to training) is happening in startups, like Duolingo, Khan Academy, and Course Hero. Then there are some interesting things going on in traditional education, like RIT’s Just Press Play program and Lee Sheldon’s Multiplayer Classroom.

Gamification Webcast #2.jpgThere are still two more sessions in the Gamification series. Next up on Tuesday, March 11 at 10AM PT is Gamification 201: Winning with Gamification, A Guide to Success. This webcast features:

• Michael Torok, Director of Community at SolarWinds
  • Donna Garber, External Community Manager at Hitachi Data Systems
  • ngable, Community Manager at Hitachi Data Systems
  • Moderated by jdavidson, Partner/VP of Digital Strategy at 7Summits

Gamification 201 will delve into the core elements needed to achieve the desired business and program goals. In addition, it will feature design principles to consider during implementation and how to plan missions, rewards, and recognition to guide your user’s behaviors. Finally, you will hear from our panelists SolarWinds and Hitachi Data Systems who will share their Gamification stories from inception to present day.

This is a fantastic opportunity to hear from experts who have applied Gamification to their communities and have been successful doing it!

Reserve your live webcast spot today. An on demand recording will not be readily available post the session.

Intro

In my lifetime, I've personally witnessed a large number of technology disruptions in business. I think we're in the middle of a new one.

My First Memory of Software Disruption

I can still remember the day my dad brought home his WordPerfect floppy disks to install on our home PC. My father was born during the great depression, when almost no one had a car, when telephones were shared by entire blocks of people in downtown Chicago. This man, the first in his family to pass 8th grade in education, was introducing me to the first of many software revolutions I would see. Personal business productivity software changed how business was done. It was clear to my dad how word processing on a PC was a huge efficiency boost for his work as a scientific researcher, but he wasn't the first or the last to adopt to the change from typewriters. That was almost 30 years ago and my dad didn't live to see the next revolution of email use become mainstream, but I have no doubt he would have embraced that new medium, as well.

HenryResing1933to1988.png

From Static Public Web Sites to Dynamic Web Communities

For most of the past 20 years, I've had a single minded focus on helping businesses improve through the use of web software. For the last seven, my work has been almost exclusively SharePoint consulting. The public web was a revolution in business software supported by hardware and networking innovations. Web sites inside businesses took off with document management. SharePoint lead this revolution and represented the strongest of a breed of self-service web site creation and document sharing software to emerge in it's generation.

Today, I'm seeing a new revolution in software that is enabling community building in businesses. At some point in time for each revolution, it became clear to me that PCs, Word processing software, email, the public web sites and document management were having big impacts. I've come to that point now for social business, socbiz And just so it's clear, you can call it Social Media, Social Business, Social Collaboration or anything else you want, it's about communities and people. I think this software revolution looks a lot like Jive - whether it's the vehicle of delivery for most or just the proof the concept that social business works, it's a model that's broken into the mainstream in the last 12 months.

WebRevolutions.png

Why Jive?

People ask me occasionally why I choose to work at Jive, so I posted Why Jive on my personal blog. As I wrote there:

Jive is the most compelling web software I’ve come across.

Maybe writing those words helped my software revolution vision. I think we're in the middle of another one. What about you?

leigh_pankonien

Happy Valentine's Day!

Posted by leigh_pankonien Feb 14, 2014

Jive_Valentine-Social-Badge.pngOne of my favorite The specified item was not found. video scripts that the social team asked attendees corresponded with the "Love Badge." This video prompted attendees to answer three simple questions to earn the oh-so-desired Love Badge.

1. Name a person that has knocked your socks off so far at JiveWorld, and why.
  2. Name a person at your company who is doing an awesome job, and why.
  3. Who do you think of when I say....(4 quick fire positions, like "IT Genius")

Dana Grennier from Milwaukee School of Engineering loved Eddie Obeng's Keynote and can't live without her Community Manager, kipkussman. Dana has also really enjoyed working with 7 Summits.

wjastrowski from Swiss Re raves about Eddie Obeng's Keynote, the Swiss Re CEO and staff.

Jeffrey Murnan from GE Healthcare shares how co-workers  Laura McCullum, pdobel, and Pam Egbert are doing a killer job. Also, Lucas Sparks from 7 Summits comes to mind when he thinks of a 'social business guru.'

mgroffburling and Lauren Klein from Hitachi Data Systems enjoyed Dustin Smith from Tableau Software at JiveWorld13, and think Community Manager Donna Garber and 'social business guru' John Stepper are doing an excellent job!

Dan Larsen from Qual Comm San Diego gives shout-outs to scott.crum, Barbara Ludwig and Michael Chiles.

Thanks to everyone who poured their hearts out during JiveWorld. Praise is a pretty awesome Valentine in my opinion.

Internal Communities and External Communities Managers: take some time to praise someone in your company who is doing a great job for Valentine's Day!

Software development is a sophisticated work which demands lot of control on the time and cost parameters for success. It’s often surprising that software companies follow best practices, have quality certifications like ISO, SEI etc, use PMBOK®, have an array of techniques for controlling quality, risk, budget, schedule, and scope but still their projects fail due to cost and time overruns. As per HBR survey, the average project overrun in IT is 27%, 17% projects have a cost overrun and a schedule overrun of almost 70%.

Enterprise gamification could help software companies make their software teams more engaged & collaborative to save time & resources and build better products. Here are the areas it could add value…

Not reinventing the wheel again/ Code reusability

Everyday thousands of lines of code are written by software engineers in diverse platforms and languages. Software techies study, spend hours and days to build ‘logic’ and write codes. Once the project is over all these resources become a part of the colloquial ‘dump’ spread across locations & geographies. A major challenge for the software companies is how these resources could be reused in future. Software developers have to reinvent the wheel often as finding the right algorithms and piece of code is difficult. This challenge could be addressed with gamification and big data. Gamification could motivate people to share their inputs on how they solved similar problems in the past. Big data analytics could further identify specific codes/resources from petabytes of old projects data. A collaborated effort to reuse both code & knowledge could save time, resources and reduce cost.

Building powerful technical community

Agile methodology proposes collaboration between self-organizing, cross-functional teams for better results in software development. However, software engineers in companies (even with more than 50k of head count) often search Google, LinkedIn groups, books,

external forums for their technical queries when the knowledge is very much available within the enterprise itself. The participation in the internal technical communities in most of the software companies is quite low. Problem is people get paid for only what they build and there is no recognition for what they share. A gamified environment could motivate people to share, participate and engage better. This would help a developer get his queries resolved/ get new ideas from geographically dispersed teams within the enterprise.

Following best practices

Software development is a process driven work. It involves various best practices across the analysis, design, coding, testing and maintenance phases. It’s critical that software engineers follow the best practices, process frameworks and development models to ensure quality in software. Especially areas like quality & change management are critical for project success as rework/ modifications are difficult and costly. Gamification could motivate engineers follow the process and be aligned to standards. They could be rewarded when they adhere to & follow the steps defined in the framework. For instance ‘points’ could be awarded to all employees who have watched the ‘video’ and signed the “BYOD security guidelines”. Gamification could help a software company become highly process oriented and compliant to standards.

Building a ubiquitous Learning environment

Software development and learning go hand in hand. Software engineers have to sharpen their axes on the latest in technologies regularly. They have to master new technologies, refresh the existing ones and learn all that is necessary to deliver the right solutions. This is possible through a ‘gamified social learning platform’ and not by the traditional classroom training. Gamification could motivate the software developers take the right training courses and also share & recommend courses for others.

Making the knowledge portals work

IDC estimates that the average worker spends up to 35% of his time just looking for information. Software companies too have communities, portals and the ESN for the engineers to access relevant content which they may need during software development work. The portals and content ‘box’es within the organizations often lack relevant material.

That’s the reason people prefer to get such content over email from others instead of searching them internally. Since no value is seen, employees hardly share anything on the portals/ communities.  Enterprise gamification could motivate teams to submit and share content for all to use.

Recognizing & identifying technology/ domain experts

While expertise is critical, there are usually no formal/ proven ways to identify experts in a software company. Much is based on generic certifications, word of mouth or personal perceptions. Badges & leaderboards could help experts get recognized so that they could be identified and roped in for new projects/assignments.

Recognizing the unsung heroes

There are many who contribute in the success of a software project but are often left unrecognized. Gamification could help in recognizing and motivating such people. Remember the ‘techservices’ guy who solves your problems (even during the wee hours) when you are at the customer sites. He too deserves a small medal on his lapel. This will motivate him to do a better job next time.

Gamification could help in building the ‘engagement loyalty’ much needed for success in software project management. Gamification could help barrel through problems related to stakeholders disengagement. Gamification is “the use of game elements and game design” in non-game contexts. Business challenges like customer retention, employee engagement, enhancing productivity & revenue etc. could be effectively addressed using enterprise gamification.

Happy 13th birthday, Jive Software!

jive-13-birthday (1).jpg

"After nearly 6 years with you, Jive, I'd still drunk-dial you at 3 in the morning and tell you I love you." - gialyons
“From our earliest days, we’ve been most motivated by stories from our customers about the positive impact Jive has on their businesses. Thank you to them for letting us do what we love every day! I’m excited for many more years of Jiving on our 13th anniversary." - Matt Tucker
"Jive has been as much as home as a job for me over the last 6+ years. Whether I'm meeting new colleagues or catching up with long time friends, we're all pushing each other to accomplish more and do better. It's a shared sense of drive. We know, as Jivers, that we're building something unique and it's always an exciting endeavor!" - Billy Volpone

"Jive continues to grow and change but one thing stays the same: the people I work with are awesome!" - Victor Soares

"There is no where I'd rather be.  I'm so proud of everything we've done and psyched about everything we plan to do." - Kathryn Everest 
"I joined Jive when it was about 3 ½ years old.  What we’ve accomplished in the time I’ve been here is overwhelmingly amazing and I could not be more proud to be a part of it.  While teenage years are not something you typically look forward to, I’m thrilled to be a part of Jive’s next chapter!" - Megan Ross Farrell
"I can't imagine working somewhere other then Jive.  How would I get work done?  What disconnected and random set of tools would I be forced to use?  Collaboration through Jive makes work easier and more fun, it also makes it easier to connect with other employees that normally you would never meet over the course of your time at a company." - Curtis Gross

Jive Israel celebrated a proper Jewish 13th birthday. It was a "JiveMitzva!" They had yarmulkes for every employee, proud family greetings, 2 BarMitzva Boys (Matt Tucker and Bill Lynch) dressed traditionally, Jewish games of throwing candles at the BarMitzva Boys and more! Thanks to everyone that contributed to this awesome celebration and video: Adi Levy, Lev Waisberg, Sagi Eliyahu, alex.pavlovski, Roy Antebi, and the entire Jive Israel team.

Feel free to share your own birthday wishes or reflect upon your relationship with Jive so far!

raunak

How you say it counts.

Posted by raunak Feb 6, 2014

Social Business : Every business these days has a major social angle. After the social media explosion most companies want to ensure they have a positive public image. You can post your comments / complaints on their social media pages and be sure you will get a call for issue resolution.

As they say: 90% of the times its not what you say but how you say it that counts.

Chess is a game, we in the business world could easily relate with. After all it’s a game about planning and making the right moves to defeat the opponent and win the game. The phenomenon is closely like what people do to win in the business world too. No wonder chess is the favorite game of the business leaders. Mentors who coach managers on business strategy also use the analogy of chess in their sermons and leadership programs.

The game of Chess teaches the right tactics business leaders need to succeed. While Chess is about tactics to win, a relatively lesser known game Wei qi, having its origin in China (often called as ‘Go’) is about strategy. In Wei  qi, the two players alternately place “stones" on the vacant intersections . The object of the game is to use one's stones to surround a larger total area of the board than the opponent. The game ends when both players pass, and players pass when there are no more profitable moves to be made. The chess player aims for total victory. The wei qi player seeks relative advantage. Chess is about winning. Wei qi is about having the larger ‘territory’. Chess is about short term win. Wei qi is about long term engagement.

People often misinterpret business to be a war to be won or lost. No it is not. Business is much more than absolute wins and losses. It is not about a decisive battle but a prolonged campaign. It is not about defeating the competition but to have relative advantage over it. The focus is not to elbow the competition out of the race but to have the competitive advantage through better engagement & long term relationships with the stakeholders. Remember, just like Wei qi, business too doesn’t end when either of the companies (players) is defeated but it is only when there are no more markets or customers left to win. What do we want our employees be doing? Defeating each others to win individually or collaborating to win collectively. Business is about collaborative learning, group efforts, mutual support and collective success. This could be made possible through better engagement loyalty. This could me made possible through initiatives like enterprise gamification.

Enterprise Gamification is about using game mechanics into non gaming contexts.  It could be an effective means to build a competitive platform for stakeholders to perform better. We know distracted & disengaged stakeholders could translate into huge losses in terms of productivity & revenues. Gamification is not just about winning more badges, ascending higher levels or be on top of the leaderboards. It’s the secret sauce to engagement loyalty….a motivational ‘booster shot’ for people to excel in what leads to business success. Enterprise gamification ensures engagement so that success doesn’t slip through the cracks.

If engagement loyalty matters to your business. Enterprise gamification is the way to go.

2014 State of Community Management Survey Each year The Community Roundtable undertakes research to report on the state of community management. In years past we've focused on the community maturity model and the value of community management. We’re excited to kick off the 2014 State of Community Management research which will explore the questions:

• How are communities performing?
  • What are the standards and strengths of online communities today?
  • What opportunities should community managers focus on to grow their programs?

Data gathered will determine how communities are performing in the eight competencies in TheCR’s Community Maturity Model. Jive customers have long been vibrant and vital members of the research process at TheCR - we hope that you will participate this year and add your voice and experience to the industry-leading research.

The 2014 SOCM is designed to help participants and Community Audit clients build roadmaps like the one below. Framing current and desired performance by competency enables constructive dialog with stakeholders about strategic, budget and resource decisions - and helps you gain the support and resources you need to be successful.

Community Roadmap

Want to participate? We’re looking for community managers, community strategists, community program leaders and volunteers who have community management responsibilities to tell us more about their communities in this online survey through February 28, 2014. The survey will take you 15-20 minutes to complete.

We are interested in learning more about communities at all levels of maturity and of all sizes. So your response is important to us whether your community is large or small, in the early or advanced stages of development. In order to provide the most comprehensive research possible we're looking for communities of every stripe and color.

As a thank you for participating, you will receive a promotion code for a discount of $500 that you can apply to a new individual membership in TheCR Network in 2014. We’re also launching a new Community Audit service and offering special pricing to the first five interested participants. Click here to take the survey now!

gamification-bunchball.jpgWhat is Gamification and why should you care?  Gamification is not a new idea, it is a proven tool that has been in the workforce for quite some time. Ultimately gamification allows companies to encourage and engage their customers (internal – employees, or external – customers) in a desired behavior by creating opportunities of problem solving, learning, loyalty, and communication.  I don’t know about you, but that is a pretty lengthy purpose for a concept that is still misunderstood and the cause of great debate.

Questions many are asking:

• How does it work?
  • How do we build it?
  • Who should build it?
  • Has anyone done this before and were they successful?
  • And how do we measure it?

Recently, this topic has increased in popularity and has been noted by some experts to be a game changer – one of the most important trends in technology.  The fact that gamification is not siloed to internal use by organizations toward their employees, but can be extended to external use by an organizations toward their customers - makes this a desirable tool and provides advantages to organizations who embrace this early on.

Early adopters and best-in-class organizations; do you know a few? These are the leaders of your industry – beacons of success; benchmark organizations that all other organizations watch to see what trails they are blazing. These companies are organizations that may have higher employee engagement numbers as recently shared in a Gallup Report that “…
only 30% of American workers were engaged, or involved in, enthusiastic about, and committed to their workplace.”

In a study by M2 Research, vendors claim that Gamification can lead to a 100% to 150% pickup in engagement metrics including unique views, page views, community activities, and time on site.  In addition, Gartner reported more than 70% of the world’s largest 2,000 companies are expected to have deployed at least one gamified application by year-end 2014. Organizations have already begun adopting gamification applications and it does not look like it will be slowing down any time soon.  The overall market for gamification tools, services, and applications is projected to be $5.5 billion by 2018 (M2 Research).

I have only scratched the surface on why gamification is on every organization's mind – but "what does it all mean to me?" is the question you may have on your mind.  I would like to invite you to check out a three-part webcast series focused on Gamification and why you should take notice.

The first webcast will take place on Wednesday, February 12 at 10:00 AM PST, featuring Rajat Paharia (Rajat Paharia), the father of Gamification & Founder of Bunchball along with Christopher Morace, Chief Strategy Officer at Jive Software.  Chris is a recognized leader in the Social Business Software space and author of a New York Times and USA Today bestselling book, “Transform: How Leading Companies are Winning with Disruptive Social Technology."

Subsequent webcasts will focus on customer examples and insight from a leading analyst from Forrester Research.  If you started reading this post thinking gamification was another word for game – hopefully you will have a clearer understanding– and that the relevance of this tool in your organization could have significant impact on your future.

Register today....we are saving a seat for you.

cc Internal Communities, External Communities, Gamification, Engagement, and Rewards, Jive Gamification User Group

The other week, I posted about some of disruptive the macro trends we're seeing in the world: the shift to connecting via mobile devices, and the increasing youthfulness (and associated changing expectations) of the workforce. We've been talking a lot here at Jive about what these changes mean for our mission of changing the way work gets done.

By and large, enterprise apps have been behind in serving (forget about delighting) the mobile worker. Security, regulations, network restrictions, fear, etc. have all made this transition harder at work than at home. But, happily for all of us as users, the landscape is changing. The battle for mobile heart- and mindshare at work is just getting started. Jive has its own more recent entrants into the race with Mobile 3, but this is just a start.

In thinking about where to go next, it's easy to jump on the Mobile First bandwagon. It's a clear, simple rallying cry that's easy to get behind. Google and everybody else has, right?

“The answer should always be mobile first.”

– Eric Schmidt, CEO, Google

For any audience that tends to think mobile last, Mobile First is a useful counterbalance to pull towards a better balance. But putting any one form factor above all others is ultimately the wrong answer. Mobile first has problems too. One smart UX and design guy, Kevin Powell, summed them up nicely:

Problems.png

(His excellent presentation with much more detail on these points is well worth checking out.)

‘Mobile first’ is the extreme reaction to the vast majority doing a lousy job with mobile so far. It’s fueled by just how hard it is to actually make mobile a first class citizen for established products. And it doesn’t reflect the realities of work today, which do still include (and in many jobs favor) desktops and browsers, especially when it comes to rich content creation. Ultimately the pendulum will swing back to a place of balance. At Jive, we're aiming to skip the detour and go straight to Experience First.

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 3.26.04 PM.png

✭ We are committed to empowering people to work naturally with, instead of against, the device they're on, both in the consumption-weighted and short-form conversation that comes naturally typing with thumbs, and with creating and leveraging heavily-crafted content better suited to big screens.

✭ We are committed to giving people the means to connect, communicate, and collaborate quickly; to find experts and answers; to easily share from any device.

✭ We are committed to breaking down the walls that keep out employees, customers, and partners who may not even have a desktop machine or laptop; who are using their own personal device; who may not have corporate email accounts or high-speed access.

Our commitment is to improve the way people connect with each other – across business ecosystems – to get work done, everywhere they work.

We have already been shifting our conversations here towards Experience First, across devices. This means designing for mobile, and tablet, and web, and desktop... (And ultimately glasses, wrists, rings... we've been playing with these too, but it's still early.) It's not an overnight change. We will continue to push some things that are mobile-first to accelerate the mentality change. We catch ourselves often; have to remind our teams, but change is happening today in Jive in product management, design, development, partner ecosystem and more.

I am tremendously excited about the shifts happening in the world around us and about the work we're doing in mobile today. (And I say this even having had the pleasure of introducing our very first ever native mobile app at the first JiveWorld 4 years ago!) We are adding both great end user and enterprise capabilities, rounding out information discovery, portals, and creation and consumption. Mobilizing the Intranet and Portals is a big step for the workforce that has had no access away from their desk. Now we are increasing our focus on connecting in the people who are not so strongly tethered to a desk or deeply immersed in Jive on the web today, helping them to experience a better way to work. Even with all of the channels available today – email, phone, IM, etc. – struggling to connect is still too often the norm.

How are you staying in sync at your company when on the go? Are the 'deskless' workers in your ecosystem connected in? Are people using consumer solutions like WhatsApp on the down-low? And, where are you finding that today's readily available realtime channels like chat, SMS, phone, and video conferencing let you down?

1619231_10151796831186916_524108938_n.pngHappy cmad14 to all of our Internal and External Communities!!!

I know many The specified item was not found. celebrate CMAD in their own way... we wanted to call out a special thanks to all of the cmgrs that use and navigate Jive every day. Thanks to Social Edge Consulting for hosting an awesome tweet chat earlier today as well!

community_manager_large.png

Thought we'd keep it light this year and honor the day in a different way:

Let's highlight some awesome things about the day and some info for those who are new to Community Manager Appreciation Day (CMAD)  

Firstly, let's dig in to this CMAD thing -

• Some quick background: CMAD is a few years old now, started by a smart fellow named Jeremiah Owyang. He has one hell of a blog (here) that highlights a lot of things, ranging from general business and leadership principles, to online strategy best practices, including Community Management, Community Managers, and why all of its important.

So for clarity, What is CMAD?
Many_Hats_of_Community_Manager_infographic_GetSatisfaction.png     CMAD is an appreciation day for the community managers who run the gamut in their day-to-day efforts to manage and change the way work gets done:

experts on information architecture, information strategy, discussion fostering, governance implementation,

mentors in how to leverage platforms, best practices on sharing, online ethics, and social workplace,

data nerds in having to research and prepare what metrics are delivered on, what metrics should be looked at, and how the metrics shift with the community

the voice of the communities (external or internal) to the rest of the organization - the voice of the end user, and the constant politician and middle-man (or woman!)

a marketer - master communicator and evangelist, leverager of the best technologies and processes available to get to the most people

...and so many more things. I think we're all pretty familiar with the infographics to the right  by now, and can identify at some level

Obviously this wouldn't be complete without a twitter feed, too many images, and some links to Linkedin or CM Meetups or CMAD events. Following Ryan's fashion, I'll use this as a reminder that I'm here! I'm your Community Manager, and I'm digging it. If we haven't engaged yet - please intro yourself, shoot me a note, and more than anything if you have any questions -- Please let me know! @mention me, send me a message, share to me, send me an email... whatever you need, I do my best to be available and responsive.

5875._2300_cmad.jpgcommunity-manager-appreciation-day-card-manage-vacation.jpgcommunity-manager-appreciation-day-card-manage-urinal.jpgcommunity-manager-appreciation-day-card-manage.jpg

Point in all of this -

I'm sure many people engage in communities throughout their day without ever knowing. Many more of us (especially here) have an idea of, or are directly involved in what goes on behind the scenes every day... take half a second and think about all of the pieces that go in to everything that you're touching. All of the applications or websites you touch.. there's quite a bit of set up and involvement in the background, and it doesn't all come together without some serious, hardcore project management and translation between different constituents.

Kudos to all of the community managers and The specified item was not found. diehards out there - it's not an easy task, but it's sure a fun one. Go give one of those crazy folks a hug... they probably need it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu9jZ_Ss5-hmLFqSlKkXUmHBPGeevOxkjth6KpzHQWg5V-HVOSRQ

As a last note, I'll also take this opportunity to say - we're working on some stuff with the Jive Community, and have some cool things coming, so stay tuned!

Short term, if you have ideas or feedback, please post in the The specified item was not found. space!

300x600_jw13_banner_droid_H.jpg

Now that we're coming on the end of January, it's time to release our The specified item was not found. recordings, presentations, and make public some of the best parts of the year!

This year was the biggest JiveWorld in Jive history; following Deirdre Walsh's amazing Mainstange Recap and virtual jiveworld goodies - we had over 1600

JiveWorld this year covered 8 tracks, listed here below. Click on JiveWorld13 Track Presentations & Videos below or on the icons below to get to the track recordings!!

Not only did Jive get recordings and presentations of the tracks and get some great recaps for you, but tony.stewart@nbcuni.com got some awesome

The specified item was not found. Track Presentations & Videos

See the JW13 agenda for the tracks here

social_intranet.png customer_engagement.pngsales.pngmarketing.pngdeveloper.pngstrategy.pngadvanced_community_mgmt.pngproducts.png

NOTE* Some videos and presentations are not available

Enjoy!

JIVE_UNIVERSE_ART_AJONES_.jpg

There's a big conversation we've been having inside Jive over the last several months (much of it driven by our fantastic new head of mobile products, Anuj Verma). This topic is bigger than one company or product and we'd like to open up the conversation with all of you: what do the changes in how the world interacts with each other and the web mean for business at large, and what does this change in our demands of the products that enable us?

In part 1, we'll review key trends we and others are seeing in the market that shape the new landscape, both in technology and shifting workforce demographics.

In part 2, we'll share how these trends have helped shape our thinking about products and user experience across devices at Jive.

Disruption, transition, and change form a familiar context for us at Jive. Against dramatically shifting behavioral and technology landscapes (the rise of social networks and increased sharing and transparency, the replatforming of the enterprise, the shift to cloud...), we have built Jive to improve the way people connect and work. And, we are now facing the single biggest and most globally disruptive change yet: mobile.

2014 is the year that mobile Internet use surpasses desktops. It’s also the year when we flip to more people in the workforce having been born after 1984 than before (and they all grew up with a phone in their hand). It’s the year that the real fight for enabling employees hits the enterprise market.

We succeed in fixing work in this round only if we all drive through this change together. We succeed, and we all reap the rewards of the new way. We fail, and we go the way of the dinosaur, making way for the next new contender.

Dinosaur.png

Fact: The way people connect is at a tipping point.

The following several charts are shared from Mary Meeker's outstanding 2013 Internet Trends Report. The whole presentation is well worth reviewing if you haven't seen it.

More Internet traffic will be coming from mobile devices than desktops in 2014. This is already the reality in India, China, and North Korea today.

TippingPoint.png

And, mobile traffic as a % of total Internet traffic is growing fast.

Growth.png

It’s even more dramatic in consumer social: 68% of Facebook’s traffic comes from mobile, per their Q2 earnings report. For them, it’s monetize mobile or die.

Facebook.png

Tablets only accelerate the shift with their unprecedented adoption. Tablets open up more possibilities for work, from anywhere, but come with experience expectations and capabilities more akin to a phone than a PC.

Tablet.png

Fact: The workforce is changing - the majority have now grown up in an always-on, mobile world.

The workforce now has more people born after 1984 than before.

millenials.png

http://www.hrtecheurope.com/uploads/avatar/millenials-career-infographic.png

And the millennials aren’t alone in bringing their own devices to work. The vast majority of us are bringing more than one!

phonesatwork.png

http://www.b4j.co/mobile-hr

Mobile behaviors are shifting as well, more towards targeted, short-form, realtime communications that suit the device, growing privacy concerns, and our fragmented focus.

Enterprise solutions have been behind, but that's starting to change fast, to all of our benefit. In part 2, I'd like to share what these trends mean to us at Jive and our product strategy. In the meantime, we'd love to hear from you and open up the discussion:

• What disruption have you and your company experienced with the mobile revolution?
  • What's the biggest barrier you face with trying to work remotely?
  • What mobile apps have successfully won you over and replaced or displaced other apps for you?
  • Where do you think the future of mobile at work is headed?

It's Friday. Who else could use a good joke?jw13-game-300-humor.png

During The specified item was not found. the social media team collected video footage on a wide range of topics. My very favorite being the videos filmed in order to earn the prized humor badge.

Some were The specified item was not found. related and some were just plain funny. Enjoy:

awooler jokes about his long trip to JiveWorld from the UK.

I LOVE deb start's delivery!

Sarah Scoular shares her funniest social business story. Can anyone beat this one? I think not.

Pretty corny, Roguen Keller.

A big thanks to all of the video participants! And I would love to hear your best joke or funniest social business moment!

lindoty

Brand Fan > Customer

Posted by lindoty Jan 16, 2014

Red-Lobster-Remodeled-Restaurant.jpgFact: Everyone selling something wants customers.

The corollary to that is we're all selling something. Right here, right now - I'm trying to sell you on my savoir-faire.  On my writing, my business acumen, my social-business jen ne sais quoi.

On my amazing grasp of the French language.

When you're selling something, what is the most important thing to have? A great product? An impeccable reputation? A good-looking sales force?

Perhaps.

Surely the most important thing to have is customers, right?  RIGHT?

Maybe not.

Way better than customers are brand-fans. A customer will buy something from you and use it, but a brand-fan will become an extension of your sales force.  Even better - a horde of brand-fans becomes a groundswell of Crowd Marketing. I'm writing about what, in essence, Malcolm Gladwell meant when he talked about The Tipping Point.

Companies are trying to figure out how to create that groundswell and find that tipping-point. I'm afraid you won't find the secret formula here, even if you read to the bottom, mostly because there isn't one secret formula. There are, however, some overarching concepts that seem to hold true for those brands that have achieved this highly-sought-after phenomena. 

Often, the brands that reach this nirvana weren't primarily trying to make money - they were trying to provide something they truly believed in. They come across as genuine and 3-dimensional. In other words, they aren't used-car-salesmen with overstated promises and an in-your-face sales style to the point where you avoid them like the plague. They care about you, their customer. Even if they don't care about you as one individual customer, you see evidence they have shown care for other individual customers, which makes you think they probably would care about you if they had the chance to interact with you about something.

Here's what many brands don't get about social business: it's not about overt selling on Twitter or  any of the social media platforms.  It's about building your reputation in those places; winning individuals to become brand-fans.  Customers and potential customers get to experience brands out there and see who they are, how they act.

And if they win us over? Watch out.

Because social business isn't about Brand A selling to Customer B by tweeting a 15% off promo code.  Social business is about Brand A winning the heart of Customer B so that Customer B goes to Facebook and tells his 400+ friends "You have GOT to try this niche beer made by the local microbrewery! They are such a cool company and their beer is awesome!"

Let me tell you a story... I participated on a message board in 2001 on a community site called ePregnancy (that no longer exists).  It was a community for expectant mothers, allowing us to band together and compare our pregnancy aches and pains, ask questions, share hopes and dreams.  The forum I participated on was called Due In January and starting around the end of December, we all produced tiny humans - a few of us got more than one - and we moved, together, to the next stage in our journey.

Shortly after that, a couple dozen of us managed to assembled in one city and meet each other in person. The other 100+ members of the forum followed virtually on the message board while we shared photos and stores and wished they could have made it.  Here's what it looked like:

the babies.JPG.jpg

Those babies are all turning 12 this month and we're plotting to get together again and recreate this photo with a bunch of surly pre-teens. We'll let you know how that goes. 

Us moms are still together in a private virtual community and still comparing our aches and pains and hopes and dreams. There is a reason I am telling you this and it ties into social business and social selling. Hundreds of times over the past 12 years, I've seen the dynamic play out where one of the women comes into the community with a glowing endorsement for something, and each time, a subset of the community gets inspired and runs out to buy that thing. When these January 2002 children were babies, one mom bought the Fisher Price Ball Blast toy and reported back how great it was and how much her little punkin-schnookums loved it and next thing you knew, there was a stampede of mothers who were desperate for ways to occupy their little punkin-sscnookumses and willing to try anything who ran out to buy it.

We had a small army of little human beings learning to blast plastic balls all over the place and some of us (perhaps only 1, ahem) eventually regretted chasing those stupid little plastic balls everywhere.

But I digress.

There have been many stampedes like this over the dozen years we've been together. Anything from make-up to books to gadgets to toys to kitchen appliances to apps. I have been a follower of some of these endorsements, and I have been an endorser more than once. Brand-fandom takes a happy customer to the next level - to become an endorser.  I don't mean a person who writes a recommendation on Amazon, although that's a good thing for brands to have too, but someone who stands in front of a crowd of people he or she knows personally and puts his or her stamp of approval on a product or service. The more third-party-endorsers (TPEs - it's a thing, for real - GOOGLE IT!) a brand gets, the better its product does.

I'm no marketing person.  I don't have Social Media in my title.  I've never worked doing PR.  But I know this much is true: the goal for any business is to convert customers too brand-fans, or it should be.  The methods?  Quit trying to sell so hard and instead try to build your reputation.  Engage. Earn trust. Answer questions. Solve problems. Make people laugh.  You cannot buy these fans, they must be earned.  There are no short-cuts.  Engage authentically.  Care about your customers and their problems.  Laugh at their jokes.  'Like' their endorsements of your products.  Get social, bi-directionally.  Don't just push your sales-blitz-promos out to them and wonder why it's not effective.

I don't follow many brands, but one exception is Mr. Clean because he makes me laugh and he never does a hard-sell on me.

MrClean.JPG.jpg

You can bet there is a part of my brain that has a feel-good response to Mr. Clean and when I walk down the cleaning aisle at the supermarket, the fact that he's given me occasional smiles with his humor mean his products have an advantage in my decision-making process.  Therefore, I know that brands that are funny without doing a hard-sell are effective on winning me as a customer and potentially brand-fan. 

I also know that brands that interact with me garner my goodwill.  A handful of times on Twitter, brands like Red Lobster and SlimJims have responded to my tweets that mention them.  I didn't @mention them or tag them in the post, I merely mentioned their products in silly tweets and they replied in an upbeat, friendly, and engaging way.

I won't lie - it was a little bit of a buzz for me.

When brands interact with me in a positive way - without trying to commoditize me as a customer -  it creates an infusion of good feelings.  I like them better than I did before.  Hey, they noticed me, they talked to me. ME, little me! Wow.  Imagine more and more of that.

The truth is that I am already a brand-fan for Red Lobster. I plan to be buried in a casket filled with Cheddar-Bay Biscuits. I have taken a lot of grief for it over the years, but I sing my endorsement of their delicious biscuits from the rooftops.  I'm not ready to be buried in a casket full of Slim Jims yet, but I do feel fond of them and who knows what the future holds. Watch this space. Or the obituaries, maybe.

My most recent encounter is my favorite one yet.  Just last month, I made a joke on Twitter where I tagged two brands.  I never expected a response to the joke but one of the two brands did respond and this little teeny-tiny interaction totally made my day.  I love them for it.  I installed their app on my phone.  As such, I'm more likely to share their content on my social networks.  They won a little piece of my heart is what I'm telling you (even though they didn't think my comedic genius was worth some Mountain Dew and Cheetos, which I vehemently disagree with!).  

cheezburger.JPG.jpg

moutain dew.JPG.jpg

Let's stop for a moment and reflect back on Malcolm Gladwell, shall we?  His book is subtitled How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. Companies all over are trying to force content to go viral.  They develop great content and have armies of people who pimp it out and, often, it falls flat.  What if Cheetos or Mountain Dew had jumped into this social-conversation with me and the Cheezburger brand?  What if it kept going? What if it got more hilarious? What if....

Come out to play with your customers.  Build your reputations. Build goodwill and trust. Build an army of super-fans who love you because you made them feel good, because you care and are passionate about your products and services.  They will sing of their love from the rooftops and, hey, if something goes viral? Great!  If not, you still did the right thing.

You still did the right thing.

Me? I'm selling you my words.  More accurately, I'm giving my words away in order to sell myself. Is that even legal?  I'm just trying to save up enough to fill my casket with Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits.

Your move, Slim Jim.

Filter Blog

By date: By tag: