1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next

Jive Talks

699 posts

Consulting for my clients I am often asked “Why should our enterprise leadership even care about this Social Collaboration Stuff? (my livelihood, my passion, my zealotry is now “Stuff”)  And I reply that one of the things they gain is a wider audience inside the organization for their ideas, opinions and world view.

So I am speaking at JiveWorld13 this year (Advanced Community Management Track – Open Leadership: Gaining Executive Engagement) and I realize that I am in the unenviable position of being a consultant who has to take his own advice – I am going to broaden my audience for my ideas, opinions and world view.  I have to take this Social Collaboration Stuff, and wave my flag and that of JiveWorld13, my talk; and that of my trusty sidekick (although I am sure she would say that I am her sidekick) and co-speaker Nikki Bussard.

Coach.jpgSo here goes.  If you attend our talk, not only will you get to see witty, charming, erudite and humble me (and Nikki!) give a life changing and life affirming talk about why and how you can get leaders engaged in your community, you will also be attending JiveWorld13.  JiveWorld is the only conference of its kind that offers practical advice and ideas from time-tested practitioners – AND teaches you how you can transform your organization to be more efficient, effective, fun and cool – at the same time.  And couldn’t we all use a little more cool in our work lives?

I found my life’s purpose at JiveWorld (“I create a more peaceful planet by working to eliminate the Reply-All email with attachment.”) and it will make you smarter at what you do – which is supposed to be making your organization better, faster and stronger. You will meet other people who have also drunk the social collaboration Kool-Aid and will willingly – enthusiastically even – impart to you incredible pearls of wisdom – that they often learned the (very) hard way.

When you come to my session and others, you will be doing IRL (In Real Life) what you preach in your communities every day – but you will do it better.  You will make friends.  You will meet some of the Jivers who helped you out of a jam that time (Remember when you removed all the permissions from your root space and couldn’t see anything?  Yeah…that time.)

JiveWorld is the cool school you never got to go to, and Gaining Executive Engagement is the cool kids table.  You’ll learn how to get your leaders and executives engaged and stay engaged.  Plus, we have cookies!  (Not really, but come anyway.)

Benjamin Taub is the Director of Enterprise Collaboration at Akira Technologies and is a graybeard in the federal enterprise collaboration space and has multiple, successful implementations of Jive under his belt.  Information on his JiveWorld13 talk with Nikki Bussard – "Gaining Executive Engagement" is HERE on the JiveWorld13 Agenda.

Image credit: buchachon / 123RF Stock Photo

364x211_team.jpgLast week, we wrapped up our 2013 Social Intranet Summer Series where Gia Lyons, Director of Product Marketing at Jive Software, hosted industry leaders from companies like Thompson Reuters (SlideShare) and Alcatel-Lucent (SlideShare) to discuss current trends in social business. We also invited social business experts from Jive to show us how to rethink your company intranet to deliver business value. Thank you to everyone who attended, shared and promoted this series. We are incredibly happy with how popular the series became and look forward to hosting another very soon!

In our last webcast How to Use Social For Corporate Communications (SlideShare) Gia and Kathryn Everest, Senior Director of Business Consulting at Jive Software, discussed how a social intranet enables more employees to find and engage in corporate communications and strategic messages, thus driving greater alignment and buy-in. Here are the questions and Gia's (GL) and Kathryn's (KE) answers from that webcast:

1. KG - Are there any Jive plug ins to listen to the voice of the employee? I want to be able to use social media listening technology to have real-time insight into the sentiment of employees.
    GL - We recently invested in Jive Resonata. We are tremendously excited about the the powerful semantic analysis, big data, and insight capabilities this brings to Jive. We already have a powerful solution available today for externally-facing Jive communities and continue to work to leverage this more broadly throughout our platform. More to come on this next year, so stay tuned.

2. RR - Will a future release of Jive provide the ability to create Custom Streams and have community managers or administrators ASSIGN those Custom Streams to specific groups?
    GL - Attention Streams that end users can configure as they wish have been available since Jive 6. An interface for assigning pre-configured curated streams is available today as a Jive Professional Services extension, which many of our customers have leveraged. We are eager to bring this into the core experience in a future release.

3. DR - What are some better ways to get younger members of my company who might be shy about posting content in a space with more senior people?
    KE - I have a couple of responses.  First, I’m a HUGE advocate of introducing Jive during company orientation – and not just on how to use it for job onboarding and for work!  People need appreciate the opportunity that is presented to develop and shape their professional reputation, as well as providing new opportunities to contribute to the organization.  And how you do this is by participating and “moving the conversation forward”.  That is what gets you noticed.  So, cueing younger employees to think about how they can contribute and how they can begin to really make a contribution are the first seeds to plant.  True, it is a bit of a risk sometimes to speak, that’s true, especially if they don’t have the communication skills to “disagree without being disagreeable”, but with higher risk comes higher reward. Contributing in Jive can get you noticed – make sure it is for the right reason!  My second response is that you may need to model the behavior so that people will know it is safe.  I sometime liken social software to a junior high school dance J.  Sometimes you have to get the “popular kids” on the dance floor first to get the dancing going otherwise, everyone just sits on the sidelines. So what does that mean?  Find a younger person and ask them to comment on the CEO’s blog.  Even ask them to make a comment other than “Very interesting!  Thank you” but perhaps help them craft a comment that you know will be well-received.  You may need to model this behavior for a while, but eventually – they will catch on.

4. LW - Do you have any tips on how to keep employee engagement high post launch.
    KE - I get asked this question a lot, and wonder if people are looking for campaigns or tactics – which concerns me.  This can be very tricky to answer because what you don’t want to do it feel you have to invent reasons to collaborate and communicate, but rather have users understand how value this is to their work.  This is key.  But there are some events that have been very successful at various enterprises – let me pass a few along.
    • Ask Me Anything – AMA – this is a time-based event where you have an executive who is willing to take questions – and like the title says – about anything!
    • Contests – contests can help boost adoption and can be very work related (such as a specific innovation challenge) or non-work related (ugliest sweater contests)
    • Pop Up Genius Bars – identifying a number of advocates who can help out in a physical location who help users answer questions and understand some key use cases.  They can also help users get set up on mobile, update their profile, or learn how to customize a stream.
    • Introduce or emphasize a new capability or feature.  Use this as an opportunity to get back users who may not have returned by enabling something new.  This could be a content type (such as ideas), or a capability (such as mobile).
    • Circulate great, engaging success stories to inspire others on how to use social software for business.
    • Gamify certain activities to keep people engaged in further exploring the platform.
  5. SC - Do you have ideas for implementation and adoption when only a minor portion of the business is using social software and those aren't are reluctant to transition both how they publish and receive content? (80% not on software)
    KE - I’d love to understand more here – so perhaps this would be a good time to talk?  If you are a Jive customer, I’d encourage you to contact your Sales Representative so we can set up a time to chat.  But social software, as your users are experiencing, work best when you have critical mass.  So – it seems very “chicken and egg” I know!  But one technique I would suggest is to find a business process that is, well, painful  and that many people HAVE to do.  We’ve seen situations where bringing the process into Jive has been really successful. It does two things.  First, they see that using it isn’t what they may have thought (in other words – it is easier than they think) and it can be used to make business more efficient.  With this mindset they are more incline to use it, as well as think of processes where Jive can remove some pain.  You may also want to have a campaign of “what are some processes that you find PAINFUL” and see if you can use Jive to make things less painful for your users.  But this can be a hard question to provide a satisfying answer to without more information.

6. BW - As an existing Jive user, how do I use that reporting/tracking just highlighted on step 4 (not having to rely on annual surveys)? I have never seen these analytics before.
    GL - Impact Metrics are what you saw, and they are available now in Jive Cloud. They have been improved since our Summer '13 Cloud release, so watch for those improvements in our Fall '13 Cloud release in November, and in Jive 7 in December for dedicated hosted and on-premise installations.
  7. KL - You mentioned the "Official Content" label available for Jive - how does that work? Is coming in Jive 7?
    GL - The Official outcome label is one of several choices in our Structured Outcomes feature. Structured Outcomes are available now in Jive Cloud. They have been improved since our Summer '13 Cloud release, so watch for the Official label in our Fall '13 Cloud release in November, and in Jive 7 in December for dedicated hosted and on-premise installations. You will be able to click "Mark as Official" as one of several marking choices, which will appear along the right side of a document.

Want to take the productivity leap? Learn more about how a social intranet can help boost output in a single bound here. See you at the next series!

The B2B Summer School Series kicked off with James Ninnivaggi of SiriusDecisions showing us how to make those crucial hours in the work week we dedicate to actually selling more productive and more effective (SlideShare). Next, James Cater and Lauren Klein of Hitachi Data Systems went in-depth about their own account management transformation and how Jive's social platform helped them enable their customers with the tools to be able to touch and reach into all parts of Hitachi Data Systems rather than settle for the traditional one-to-one relationship (SlideShare).

And now joining us for our final installment in the B2B Summer School series is Scott Santucci, Principal Analyst & Research Director serving Sales Enablement Professionals at Forrester.

All too often new sales reps sit in corporate training for a few weeks, complete the tests, and head back into the field with their binders. When they get into actual selling situations do they really have what they need to close the deal? In this webcast, Scott will challenge you to think critically about:

• Creating innovative go-to market strategies, sales-ready tools, and strategic account programs.
  • Enabling your sales team to collaborate with buyers more effectively.
  • Developing impressive data-drive performance reporting and measurement programs.

Register now for the last webcast of the series!

Featured Speakers:

Scott Santucci, Principal Analyst, Forrester Research

Jarrett O'Brien, Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Jive Software

J Award.jpeg.jpgI'm happy to announce the finalists for the 2013 Jive Awards! The Jive Awards celebrate outstanding customer results using Jive, and each year we look forward to recognizing our amazing customers. We had a record number of submissions this year that were all very impressive and I want to take this opportunity thank everyone for submitting their success stories.

Congratulations to the following customers who have been selected as finalists for the 2013 Jive Awards! Winners will be announced on Main Stage at JiveWorld13 on October 24th at 5:00 p.m.

Extend Jive - This is a new award designed to recognize an organization that developed a solution leveraging the API and integration frameworks to bring new capability to a platform, change systems of record into systems of engagement, and deliver real results to redefine how work gets done. The company should have contributed to the Jive Eco-system by sharing best practices and code and frequently participating in the Jive developer community, user groups, hackathons, open social and other developer initiatives.

Finalists:

• TeleTech
  • Pokeshot

Teaming - Recognizes the best application of Jive for a group or division in a company that has achieved qualitative and quantitative success and changed the way their team impacts the organization. This award will recognize a team or group that accomplished a specific goal or project which set the bar and led to greater use of Jive in the organization.

Finalists:

• Fidelity
  • Cerner

Engage Customers - Showcases customer engagement leading to stronger self-service support, greater customer loyalty and satisfaction, a stronger company brand and/or product/services innovation. This award will recognize an organization for building a customer service solution that has improved customer satisfaction, increased loyalty and boosted engagement.

Finalists:

• ADP
  • ADTRAN
  • Eloqua
  • Pearson

Engage Partners - Heightened partner engagement by driving improvements, sharing best practices and enhancing co-selling. This award will recognize an organization that drove higher business results by engaging their business-to-business network in a collaborative community environment.

Finalist:

• Steelcase

Engage Employees - Demonstrates remarkable employee engagement leading to business results. This award will recognize a social intranet solution that helped foster cross-departmental collaboration, efficiency improvements, problem solving and innovative approaches to drive adoption.

Finalist:

• Ricoh
  • Royal Bank of Canada
  • AIA
  • Thomson Reuters

New Way to Business - Showcased mastery in the use of Jive across employee, customer and partner communities to fundamentally change the way business gets done across the enterprise. This recognizes an organization that has demonstrated a strategic organizational change in the way work gets done, for the better.

Finalist:

• Schneider/Telvent
  • Hitachi Data Systems

New Way to Lead - Recognizes an individual or company who has demonstrated shift in the way work gets done, from a top-down management style to a more collaborative and open leadership approach using Jive. This award will go to an individual or project leadership team responsible for orchestrating a successful roll-out and adoption of the Jive solution.

Finalist:

• Lafarge
  • Mylan

Our Social Intranet Summer Series wraps up on Wednesday, September 25th with insights and commentary on the benefits of using a social platform for corporate communications.

The first webcast in this series gave a high-level overview of what a social intranet should deliver - get work done, find information and internal experts, and deliver official communications and information. In the second webcast, experts did a deep dive on how a social intranet can be used for IT project management to increase productivity. In the third, we showed how a social intranet is used to innovate your business.

Now in our final installment, social business experts Gia Lyons and Kathryn Everest will examine:

• How a social intranet enables more employees to find and engage in corporate communications and strategic messages
  • How greater employee engagement drives greater alignment and buy-in
  • What you can do today to implement a social corporate communications strategy

We hope to see you there! Register now!

Featured Speakers:

Jive Software

Gia Lyons

Director, Product Marketing

Jive Software

Jive Software

Kathryn Everest

Sr. Director, Business Consulting

Jive Software

Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 2.29.11 PM.png

Answer: That Jive Software is Awesome!

No, I'm not referencing internet superstar and creator of The Fox Ylvis.  We had someone even better onsite at Jive headquarters in Palo Alto today.

Liz Claman from Fox Business!

Jive hosted the fantastic crew of the segment 3 Days in the Valley, which annually profiles the best technology companies in the Bay Area. Each day during the event, Liz sets up a mobile studio at a different location and invites notaries to share their industry insights.

Since The Valley is "dripping with optimism, ideas, and innovation," it's no surprise that Jive was featured alongside other great organizations like Flipboard, Intel, Glyde, and Facebook.

We were proud to show off our strong leadership, fun culture, and impactful vision.

Specifically, check out the following videos:

Jive Software Hosts Fox Business News: 3 Days in the Valley - YouTube

Jive and Fox Business Host GitHub CEO Tom Preston-Werner - YouTube

Fox Business Talks with Members of Jive's Board - YouTube

To view all coverage from the day, tune into Jive's YouTube Channel or check out our Instagram stream.

Please join us in congratulating your fellow peers, EMC, Prudential, UnitedHealth Group, Life Technologies, Hitachi, and T-Mobile, who are being recognized for their achievements as finalists for the Constellation Research's Supernova Awards (#SNA2013).

The third annual SuperNova Awards celebrate innovators in disruptive technology. More than 220 applications were submitted for first round judging by the research firm's panel of judges.  You can support your colleagues by voting for them as your favorite and help get them recognized as innovators in disruptive technology.

Public voting has opened and will continue through October 9, 2013. Only one vote per IP address is allowed. The winners will be announced on the first night of Constellation's Connected Enterprise innovation summit (#CCE2013) at the SuperNova Awards Gala dinner on October 30, 2013 in Half Moon Bay, California.

VOTE NOW

1.jpg2.jpeg.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpeg.jpg

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9343&size=350Several people have asked me how to blog and get a style, so this is a brief attempt to share a few thoughts around see one, do one, and be one.  Thanks Ryan Rutan for the nudge.

Consider reading and searching around the internet, on-line resources, books, magazines or libraries.  What I mean by that is: simply spend a few minutes reading content from industry experts, peers or your mentors.  This can give you context on styles you relate to and/or inspire you.

Secondly.  Just do it.  Most organizations encourage learning. If you are reading this, you can look into wordpress to post a blog, so all you need to do is create a blog title, write down a paragraph, run spell check and post.  Don’t over think it.  Just do it.  Take a few moments to share something you have recently shared over the telephone with a family member, customer, business associate or partner and try to ‘capture it’ in words.  If you can’t do that.  Record yourself or ask someone else to do it.  Actually I find it is a good opportunity to self-reflect and learn about your communication in general if you listen to yourself speak or present.

Seek peer input. I often find that if I ask for feedback that I will get it.  What I mean, is be explicit with your friends, family, staff, peers or your management.  Ask them to carve out time to give you their candid feedback on what they would do if they were you, who influences their communication approaches and/or areas they see as ‘development opportunities’ for you to consider.

Have a blogging best practice that has worked well for you to make you a better blogger?  Take a moment and share them below.

Do you know anyone at your company that you think is a genius? Each company has their own variety of geniuses and it’s important that their brainpower is unleashed in order to achieve business goals. Companies must engage employees to fuel innovation through the organization.

A social intranet acts as a hub for enterprise collaboration and communication that engages and informs employees. This allows silos to break down and the best thinking rises to the top. Innovative cultures are uncovered and energized through the functions of a social intranet.

This SlideShare will teach you how to boost your company's brainpower by:

1. Connecting your people
  2. Finding and recognizing your Einsteins
  3. Brainstorming more effectively
  4. Capturing the ‘light bulb’ moments
  5. Taking action on good ideas quickly

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 3.28.32 PM.png

If your company has uncovered tactics that help shed light on bright ideas submit them to be included in our eBook. Bonus: you'll receive a complimentary white paper with your submission!

Jive and Box have been working in partnership to help organizations modernize their IT environment with best of breed cloud offerings
for file sharing and workplace collaboration.

NuanceLogo_Horz_k.jpg

We'd like to invite everyone to learn more by inviting you to attend a webcast featuring Nuance Communications, a current customer of both Jive and Box who will share their strategy for how they will use Jive and Box to drive collaboration and employee alignment.   Please join Kim Nelson, The Voice Community Manager from Nuance Communications by registering for the upcoming webcast. 

Nuance Communications designs intelligent systems for people and businesses around the globe will share how their Jive powered
social intranet called “The Voice” is not only mission critical for the business to meet those same organizational challenges, but also
vital for their business to support and encourage collaboration and innovation.

What you will learn:

• How Nuance is using the Jive cloud features like external groups to work in shared spaces with outside collaborators.
  • How you can leverage Box for Jive to provide an even richer level of interaction, by seamlessly integrating Box content into Jive and
    connecting all the people, information and tools you need.
  • Key learnings that you can take back to your organization to further the discussion of how your business can gain from social business
    collaboration with the integration of Jive and Box.

boxworks logo.png

You can also learn more by coming to see Jive at BoxWorks

Jive is proud to be a platinum level sponsor at the upcoming BoxWorks conference in San Francisco on September 16-18th.     If you're live in or planning to be in the Bay Area we'd like to invite you to take advantage of a special discount extended to Jive Customers.  It’s a chance to learn more about how the industries top cloud providers are envisioning the future of IT.  It’s two days of conversation focused on what’s possible and what’s next in technology, business, society and how Jive and Box can  48 hours in which you turn “what if” into what can be.

• Come see our CEO, Tony Zingale discuss “The Future of Cloud” alongside Box’s CEO, Aaron Levie, on Tuesday, September 17 at 11:45 a.m.
  • Jive's VP of Product Management, Olivia Teich, will also be featured on a panel “Integrating Box and Enterprise Apps” on
    Monday, September 16 at 2:30pm
  • Stop by the Jive Booth to check out the integration advancements with Jive and Box

Special Offer for Jive Customers!

Jive Customers can register today for only $399 (a $400 savings!)  by using the discount code for Box13SponJive. 

We hope to see you there!

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=13550&size=350I am an educator whose academic and professional interests focus on technology, learning and knowledge sharing. One of the questions that keeps me going is: Just how do people become social (in the good-digital-citizen, knowledge-sharing, reciprocating, narrating-your-work-because-it's-just-what-we-do kinda way)?

This is not just a purely academic interest. And I am more a realist than a utopian when it comes to digital networks and people. But I truly believe social business depends on our collective ability to broadly develop digital literacy and competent digital citizens. We all win when the majority of participants in digital spaces operate in the kinda-way I outlined above.

So how does that happen? What might drive it?

We use Jive as our learning environment in the graduate program in which I teach (yes - correct. we've pretty much dumped the university LMS). One of my joys is watching how graduate students begin to connect and learn outside of the formal class groups we create, when no one is telling them what to do or post or share. And as a co-conspirator and participant of ETMOOC - a "connectivist" Massive Open Online Course designed specifically to foster social collaboration and networking around the course topics - I watched as nearly 2,000 people enthusiastically learned and shared, cross-commented on blog posts, jumped all over Twitter chats, and did so with civility.

If you dig into this a little bit, the people who become good at operating in this way are often explicitly working on developing their personal learning networks (PLNs). They see the web as a resource to help them develop professionally or personally; use a variety of technology tools and platforms to collect, curate, share and develop knowledge; and they understand the importance of sharing and reciprocity as the kind of "golden rule" of operating in a civil manner on the web. (See a few of my collected resources on PLNs if you are interested in how I get to this point).

And it's the reason we are running an open online seminar this fall (Oct. 7 - Nov. 5): Exploring Personal Learning Networks: Practical Issues for Organizations. We're going to provide participants with some background on PLNs and then engage in a couple of weeks of facilitated discussion: What might happen IF...PLNs became an everyday part of professional development within organizations? Could we build better social muscle? If we focus on the personal first, do we create a pull into social that benefits us all?

I would love to get this community's insights on these questions.

gamificationGamification has recently become a popular topic within enterprise collaboration platforms – so much so that I think my spell check now accepts the word as valid. As with many other social technologies, gamification first gained adoption in the consumer world with apps like Foursquare, so it isn’t a novel concept, but applying it in a business setting is still fairly new to most people. The key difference is that there’s more to gamification in a business setting than badges and points – it can actually be used to solve critical business problems, such as employee engagement.

As Rajat Paharia points out in his new book Loyalty 3.0, 70 percent of people who go to work every day aren’t engaged in their jobs, costing the U.S. economy up to $350 billion per year in lost productivity. Done right, gamification offers a unique and effective way to mitigate this problem by giving employees a way to gain recognition for their contributions as they work.

Recognition is the root of gamification. People want to be recognized for their contributions; in fact, they feel they deserve to be recognized. As an informal poll, I asked some of my friends, all under age 40, what would make them happier about their workplace. Although “more money” was the response that would make them happier personally, “more recognition” was the response that made them happier at work.

In today’s world of instant gratification, using gamification as a public recognition tool within an employee collaboration community can be much more effective than quarterly awards. And while every gamification initiative starts with a simple badge and point system to drive initial adoption and engagement in the early stages of your community, your deeper strategy should be geared towards changing and shaping employee behavior to drive long-term business results.

With new technology comes new work processes that need to be learned, and gamification can help drive those desired behaviors. One example is making content easy to search through proper tagging.  Most people forget to tag and don’t realize how important it is for document location, but you can design your gamification module to make tagging (or attaching metadata) a repeatable event so it rewards users for doing something of value to the community. They may start doing this for points, but eventually it will become a habit.

A more advanced example is generating involvement for a real world event in the community. By applying custom badges that can be earned leading up to the event and promoting the event with “limited time” badges, users that may not have been interested otherwise will participate in the event. I’ve seen this happen on one such occasion that produced the largest physical turnout at a volunteer event the company had ever seen.

So what is it about points and badges in a virtual community that make people change their behavior? There isn’t any real value to the points, and badges are meaningless outside of a particular community. Still, conversations about who can post a document first, “… because I need the points,” pop up all over the enterprise when a gamification tool is used. If points go missing or places are exchanged on a leaderboard, it becomes a point of contention for many. This irrational obsession with status and recognition is a powerful tool that a company can tap into to shape behavior in their community.

Using positive reinforcement, recognition, and status in the community are the underlying utilities that gamification employs. And one of the best things about gamification is that you can make adjustments and introduce new badges as you go to achieve desired outcomes and drive changes in behavior.

Are you taking advantage of these tools to engage your employees, or are you losing your share?

Gamification is the latest buzz word. You can't read a social business blog post or attend a conference without people debating the merits of this technique, which uses game, economic and loyalty to engage people and solve problems. Check out these surprising gamification stats:

More than 70% of the world’s largest 2,000 companies are expected to have deployed at least one gamified application by year-end 2014 (Gartner)

Vendors claim that gamification can lead to a 100% to 150% pickup in engagement metrics including unique views, page views, community activities, and time on site (M2 Research)

Over 2/3rds of employers consider gamification an effective strategy for encouraging their employees to improve their health (Buck Consultants)
80% of current gamified enterprise applications will fail to meet their objectives, due largely to poor design (Gartner)
63% of American adults agree that making everyday activities more like a game would make them more fun and rewarding (JW Intelligence)

While you should be able to gamify most everything to provide incentives and reward people for meeting their goals, the logistics and execution can be rather complex. At Jive, we wanted to move beyond the hype. We turned to our community of thought-leaders to determine some best practices, measures of success and interesting stories.  Check out our user-generated gamification best practices SlideShare:

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 3.29.56 PM.png

I'd like to give a shout out to all of the fabulous contributors: Ted Hopton, Shirlin Hsu, Jennifer Kelley, Alan Lepofsky, Wes Goldstein, John Summers and Megan Truett.

What tips do you have for gamification? Comment below or join these swarm discussions:

Look for additional swarms in the Jive Community on other topics. Who knows, your insights could end up in a similar best practices document!

Ensuring that every customer receives a consistent, high-quality experience is no easy task. You've got global teams, multiple client divisions as well as new products, services, and solutions launching all the time. How do you keep it all together for a single positive customer experience?

Join us for the second installment of the B2B Summer School Series where you'll discover how Hitachi Data Systems:

• Ensures that its account teams have access to critical customer information to keep up to date.
  • Fully aligned their entire organization with customer needs.
  • Became proactive in delivering on customer demands.
  • Enabled the HDS Community to be a hub of customer loyalty.

James Cater, VP of Global Accounts Development, and Lauren Klein, Communities & Collaboration Consultant, at Hitachi Data Systems join Jive to show you how to champion customer satisfaction challenges!

Reserve your seat today!

SiriusDecision

James Cater

VP Worldwide Global Accounts Development

Hitachi Data Systems

Jive Software

Lauren Klein

Communities & Collaboration Consultant

Hitachi Data Systems

After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”  ― Philip Pullman

Want people to remember your message and share it with others?  Tell a story.  From parables to autobiographies to charitable campaigns, we know that storytelling can be powerful and engaging.  What if you could use the power of stories to help people not only understand how a collaboration platform could help them do their work, but motivate them to use it?

Some Early Failures

As we rolled out our Jive instance (called myDB) we talked about the potential benefits of working collaboratively.  We spoke about the importance of connecting to colleagues and the ease with which you could find people and information.  We created a "Solutions Catalogue" listing potential use cases.  We had a one-page marketing 'brochure' to answer questions like, "What is it?” and “What does it do?"

None of these had very much impact.  Until we noticed a shift. Stories began to emerge of how people were actually using myDB.  And as we continued to give demos and speak at team meetings evangelizing on what it was and what you could do with it, we found ourselves retelling these stories.  The result?  More people started to get it.

Inspiration from a Strange Place

My background is in theatre.  I grew up spending my summers at drama camp or in the local, community production of "The King and I".  Theatre is all about storytelling.  The choices you make as an actor need to serve the playwright's words and the director’s vision.  And it always comes back to the story you are telling.

But while I understood using storytelling as a device in a business context intellectually, I didn’t entirely understand its power until I tried it.   During a demo as I would launch into my script describing various features and functionalities of myDB, I saw people's eyes light up when I told them a story of what someone else was doing on myDB and the impact it had.

6 Kinds of Stories

Here are a few different ways we’ve discovered (so far) to tell our stories.

• Working out loud profiles - Interviews with people who are active on myDB, sharing the benefits they are seeing from working more transparently and openly.
  • Team profiles - Similar  to  the  Working  out loud  profiles, but highlighting teams that are using myDB to engage with clients, improve team collaboration and get feedback and input from others.
  • Use case stories - Instead of listing potential use cases - like we tried with the "Solutions Catalogue" - writing up and telling the stories of people crowdsourcing solutions to common problems.  (An example is our Genius Bar story describing a grassroots effort to help people be more productive by allowing them to connect to work via their iPhones and iPad - conceived and rolled out via myDB).
  • Today's Picks - Daily stories of content, conversations and people doing ‘interesting’ things told in a distinctive ‘voice’.
  • Video spolights – Filmed interviews of people talking about their personal myDB stories - when it started making an impact, when they had an "ah ha!" moment, etc.
  • Advocate stories – Short anecdotes (told in a variety of ways) highlighting how members of our advocate program are helping others see benefit from myDB.

From Stories to Purpose

We’ve found that sharing how others are benefiting from a collaboration platform helps shift the focus from a purely tactical conversation around whether to create a group or a space or which widget to use, to a richer understanding around how people can benefit and the value it can add to your organization.  And we’ve discovered that by doing this, pretty soon people will stop asking “What is it?” and “What does it do?” and begin asking, “How else can we be using this?”

Filter Blog

By date:
By tag:
Introducing Tracks on the Jive Community
Configure your Jive Community experience by selecting a track. We'll use this track on the homepage to show you relevant content and help you find resources quickly. You can change your track easily from the homepage or your profile.
As a community manager, you're an ambassador for your Jive community as you build places, curate content and engage with fellow community members. To help you go further with your site, we'll share success stories and other resources.
Whether considering a new purchase or working on an upgrade, technology managers need insight on the best ways to implement a community and learn more about the various upgrades in software releases.
An effective community starts with sound business strategy. As your community matures, you'll want to learn and share best practices for implementation and continued success.
Whether you're a developer, system administrator or a designer, you need insight on building a great user experience for your Jive community. Get the scoop on theming, API's, upgrades and more.
We've got a special area for partners to get essential information and best practices they need for describing and selling Jive to potential customers.
Whether or not you have a specific role in your Jive community, this track highlights areas of interest to Jive users such as training materials, community best practices and an opportunity to network with other customers.
save and close