Skip navigation
1 23 24 25 26 27 Previous Next

Jive Talks

714 posts

aneesh_chopra.jpegOn Tuesday, I was privileged to attend a special event hosted by the United States Chief Technology Officer Aneesh Chopra in San Francisco.  It was a chance to meet with the CTO and his staff to talk about how to create jobs, and specifically how tech companies like Jive can help create opportunities underprivileged youth in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).

If you've never seen Chopra speak, he's pretty amazing.  He seems to constantly have a cuppa joe in one hand while pontificating with the other.  He's an inspiring guy in different ways, and is masterful at creating coalitions that act in the common interest.  He owns the Open Data movement inside the USG, charged with incubating creative new ways to bring data, technologists, and companies together to generate low- or no-cost solutions to important national problems.  His office has been sponsoring a number of innovative hackathons and app challenges.  You might have seen the recent Veterans Day Hackathon, which drew a number of app teams together to help Veterans find critical services and resources at zero cost to the taxpayer.

The focus on Tuesday was on how we in technology can help train and educate disadvantaged young people in STEM.  It was a good, though high-level, discussion. Additionally, Mitch Kapor and Zach Sims (CodeAcademy) announced some exciting new projects like SMASH and Summer Code Academy + in support of the President's new initiative.

The bottom line is that government is really looking to us in industry to help define the agenda, innovate rapidly together, and focus on measurable results. That's a worthwhile request.

We intend to take him up on his challenge.  Stay tuned to the Jive Talks blog for more on this exciting topic.

If you visit Jive’s website today, you’ll see a special message. It’s part of a demonstration taking place across the web, with a wide array of businesses, tech leaders, and organizations voicing their opposition to two Congressional bills now under consideration—the House’s Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Senate’s Protect IP Act (PIPA). Jive is joining with the Internet community to oppose this legislation because of the potentially disastrous impact it could have on our customers and on social business in general.

site_mockup.png

SOPA and PIPA are intended to combat online piracy and copyright infringement. These are serious problems, and we support the efforts of content creators and intellectual property owners to protect their investments. But the bills as written are much too broad and badly overreach. They put a huge and unrealistic burden on online sites and service providers to police user content, and subject companies to massive penalties for the actions of a handful of users.

For example, many of our customers maintain vital public communities, where people exchange information, work together, and carry on all sorts of productive collaborations. Under SOPA and PIPA, a single user posting infringing material unbeknownst to the company could expose the company to lawsuits and domain blocking, effectively causing the community to be shut down. In order to avoid that sort of calamity, the customer would have to pre-emptively monitor and screen every post and comment in their community around the clock.

It’s just not practically possible. With the massive liabilities involved, it turns social business into a very risky business. We think it would have a chilling effect on social sharing, collaboration, and innovation across the Internet. It could impair critical processes that millions of people and thousands of companies have come to depend on.

Dozens of leading technology businesses, consumer and free speech advocacy organizations, and much of the online community have come out against the legislation. Recently the White House joined the opposition, issuing a statement that “we will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet.” https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#/!/response/combating-online-piracy-while-protecting-open-and-innovative-internet

We agree. Protecting intellectual property is critical, but it’s a matter of balancing effective enforcement with the need to preserve the openness that has made the Internet and social business such empowering and transformative technologies. SOPA and PIPA don’t strike that balance. We believe a better solution can be worked out, but it will require a broader conversation among stakeholders in industry, government,  public interest groups, the Internet community, and the public at large. We look forward to being a part of that conversation, and we encourage everyone to become educated on these issues and take part in driving an outcome that works for all involved.

deirdrewalsh

The New Way to IPO

Posted by deirdrewalsh Jan 12, 2012

In my role at Jive, I'm responsible for the head-spinning job of doing social media marketing for the social business leader.  In other words, up until recently, my parents had no idea what I did for a living. But that all changed when I helped market Jive's IPO.

ipo5.jpg

The core philosophy of our social program at Jive is to Engage Employees, Engage Customers, and Engage the Social Web in order to help accomplish real business objectives. This mantra came to life as we reached a major corporate milestone. I'm always preaching that we should "Jive on Jive," so I wanted to share with you a brief case study of how we used our own products to accomplish a New Way to IPO.

Engage Employees.

• Marketing Enablement. As you can imagine, an IPO takes lots of internal coordination and collaboration between executives, finance, legal, marketing, etc. It was key to be able to find the people, content and expertise needed to coordinate this important event, so we utilized our own software.  Additionally, using out-of-the-box features in Jive, we were able to centralize knowledge and set strict privacy controls. These measures ensured that only key employees and outside legal and financial contractors could discuss and stay updated on the IPO progress.

• Executive Communications. During major checkpoints throughout the process, such as filing the S-1, the Jive executive team including our CEO, CFO and Chief Legal Counsel provided key updates to the entire company through their internal blogs.  Each post simultaneously reached our 400 employees around the world and enabled them to comment in real-time with any questions or thoughts.

• Corporate Culture. Jive wouldn't be Jive without a little fun.  To celebrate listing on the NASDAQ, our internal community manager and designers launched a fresh new theme.  This was an easy and fun way for employees around the world to see the impact of the IPO. 

ipo3.jpg

Engage Customers

• Jive Community.  At Jive, we know this exciting day wouldn't have been possible without our awesome customers; therefore, we paid tribute to them on the Jive Community. From the huge thank you banner to showcasing their tweets and videos, we wanted to celebrate with our community.  Jive's CEO Tony Zingale wrote a corporate blog post announcing the news, we had a livestream to the opening ceremony (as well as a YouTube video for those who missed it), and a place for the community to discuss the IPO. 

• In-Person Event.  We also realized that as much as we love doing everything online, there is no replacing face-to-face interactions.  Therefore, we invited key community members to be onsite at NASDAQ.  They live blogged the event, recorded time capsule video messages, and celebrated with by toasting each other and Jive executives.

ipo4.jpg

Engage The Social Web.

• Social Media Monitoring. Throughout the entire IPO process, we used Jive's social media monitoring application Fathom Pro. This tool enabled us to mine the social Web for corporate mentions; identify key influencers and PR opportunities; and quickly uncover conversations impacting the brand. We were also able to analyze the effectiveness of product campaigns during the quiet period.

• Social Media Marketing. Obviously, one of our business objectives was to share and monitor the exciting news; however, this was more than a public relations campaign. We also wanted to bridge the physical and digital worlds so that we could thank and celebrate with our entire ecosystem of employees, customers, partners and investors. Since we couldn't bring everyone to the Big Apple, we decided to bring it to them. We created a unique Twitter hashtag for the occasion - #jiveipo - and invited folks to join the online conversation.  We gathered, moderated, and then displayed tweets on the 7-story NASDAQ building in Times Square. We also had a livestream video display so that people could see themselves appear in Times Square and share it with their social networks.  Beyond the marquee, we posted live updates to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn that included rich-media like photos and YouTube videos ( Jive Lists on NASDAQ - Opening Ceremony - YouTube).

ipo1.jpg

Obviously, this social effort required the help of all-stars throughout the company including executives, the internal and external community managers, designers and developers, marketers, etc.  And as an end-user of Jive since 2007, this was an extremely special day for me personally.  I was thrilled to be able to showcase the power of Jive during an awesome event.  Comment below with your questions and feedback!

iStock_000014285670XSmall.jpg

Everyone loves making predictions, at least I know I do.  Sometimes predictions are simple, such as predicting the outcome of a sporting event (Gray's Sports Almanac).  They can also be mathematical, for example: Sir Isaac Newton's Law of Gravity predicting the existance of the planet Pluto

What's that?  Just a rock?  Sorry Isaac, at least you get to keep the cookie

And finally, they can sometimes be completely out of one's imagination (two words … Jules Verne) or  from an all-telling orb (a Magic 8 Ball of course)!

Regardless of the inspiration, the ability to say, "I told you so" has to be one of the most compelling motivators for humanity.  Perhaps not as powerful as "breathing" as Maslow would care to admit, but it definitely makes the top 10.  The first (and most important) step of this journey is to state your prediction in a  place that is public and easily referenced, like the Jive Community.

So for all of you aspiring Nostradami out there, we at Jive ask this very simple question,

What are your social business predictions for 2012?

Previous Days of Conversation:

Day 11: What's Your 2012 Social Business Resolution?

Day 10: Where do you draw the line for social in your business?

Day 9:  What do you do to reward participation in your online community?

Day 8:  What movie quote best represents the state of your social business?

Day 7: What is next on your social business To-Do list?

Day 6: Who is your Social Santa?

Day 5: Where is your social business beard?

Day 4: What social traditions do you participate in during the holiday season?

Day 3: How social are you at your company during the holidays?

Day 2: How has your social business platform helped your company "tighten the belt"?

Day 1:  Why did you choose your social business platform?

Introducing the 12 Days of Conversations ...

Jive Social Media Monitoring Helps Quest Software Increase their Social Reach by 90%

Today, Jive introduced a new member of our social media monitoring app family, called Fathom. It's available for free from the Jive Apps Market, making it easer than ever for all Jive 5 users to listen to the social web. Read more about Fathom at Can you Fathom the future of the social web? To explore the increasingly critical role that social media monitoring plays for our customers, I sat down with Megan Cynaumon, Social Media Coordinator at Quest Software. Over the past year, Quest has had great success using Fathom's full-featured cousin, Fathom Pro, to get closer to their customer base and gain new insights into their market and competitors.

Hi Megan. So tell me a little about Quest and your work there.

We’re an IT systems management company, providing tools for managing databases and other systems. As the Social Media Coordinator here, I’m Quest’s point person on the social web. I monitor social media--including Facebook, Twitter, blogs, forums, and more--for content that's important to the company. This includes comments and complaints from customers, support and sales questions, and information about our competitors and industry. I capture relevant observations and route them to key people in our various business units, such as product marketing and support managers. I analyze trends and sometimes engage in direct dialogue with social media users.

Why did you start using Jive social media monitoring?

We needed more visibility into the social web, and we weren't getting that using native social network tools. We also couldn’t report metrics about social web chatter in any meaningful way. We were missing important feedback about our company, our competitors and our market, and we weren't able to effectively track the impact of our campaigns.

So you have been using Fathom Pro for some time now, could you describe how you have been using it?

Fathom Pro is a big part of my job. It’s my primary social media listening tool. It alerts me to conversations of interest from a wide range of social media sources and allows me to easily share the information with my colleagues. It also helps me analyze social data and identify trends. Specifically, I’ve set up a large number of monitors (more than 500) using various combinations of search terms to track information important to our business units. For example, we monitor hashtags for topics related to our company, our competitors, and industry. And we create our own unique hashtags for Quest events, contests, and campaigns—this is a great way to track the response to and impact of each initiative. I share valuable observations with coworkers by posting them to groups in our Jive-powered internal community. I create monthly reports for each of our business units, summarizing statistics such as mentions of our company versus competitor mentions.

What do you see as the primary benefits?

We're better informed, on a minute-to-minute basis, on what people are saying and thinking about issues vital to our company. And because of that we can engage the public in more effective ways. I often reach out to people directly to clear up misinformation, resolve complaints, and connect them with someone in our company who can help them. That kind of dialogue has helped us build brand loyalty, and to spot potential problems and turn them around quickly. It's also helped me drive users to our public-facing Jive community, by directing them to resources and people who can assist them with their questions and issues.

Can you give an example of a customer issue you were able to resolve?

We had a key influencer—a widely read blogger—who posted that she’d had a bad experience with our phone sales. Fathom Pro alerted me to her post, and we were able to contact her and address the issue within hours. As a result, she quickly followed up with a post saying, “Quest took care of it.” That’s just one example of how Jive has enabled us to deal with issues as they arise, to become a really agile company that clearly listens to and responds to customers’ needs.

How about internally, has there been an effect on users? Any effect to the culture?

It's been great. I want to stress that it's not just me doing social media monitoring. We have a number of people in seven of our business units who also use Fathom Pro. The fact that it's very convenient to use and supports any number of users without extra fees (unlike some of the other products out there) makes it really easy to spread the capability around the organization. And that's really important, because the goal is to become a listening company. Fathom Pro has helped make that a reality at Quest. We've also come up with some creative ways to increase employee involvement with social media. We held a contest to see who could use one of our Twitter hashtags over a short period. We used Fathom Pro to monitor the results and pick the winner. The winner was an employee who managed to tweet 100 times over four hours!

What features of Fathom Pro do you, personally, find especially useful?

I like the breadth of data sources, from Facebook and Twitter to blogs, forums, news services, and even RSS feeds. The search capabilities are great, enabling us to set up a wide variety of highly targeted monitors. We have a broad portfolio of products, initiatives and acquisitions, so we need a lot of monitors to track different kinds of information. Fathom Pro’s sharing and analytic capabilities are also very helpful, letting me quickly pass key information to colleagues in our Jive community, and to generate periodic reports.

Lastly, for anybody starting out in a similar positions as yours, what advice would you have to offer them?

When I began, I was hesitant to respond directly to commenters on the social web. Now I know it’s imperative to respond, and to do so quickly. I try not to let anything slip by me and to respond as quickly as possible. It lets people know we’re here, we’re paying attention, and we care. It’s helped humanize us. In effect, our social media outreach has become the public face of our company. By enabling us to listen better, Fathom Pro is a big part of that.

Social-Web pic.pngI'm happy to share today that everybody using Jive across our customer base--like those working with John Summers at NetApp, or Tim Wike at Thomson Reuters, or any of the other millions of Jive users--will now have an even easier time gleaning vital information from across the social web.  Our goal has always been to make social media monitoring and engagement as ubiquitous as email and Google searches. Our newest offering, Fathom, fulfills that vision.

What is Fathom?  Glad you asked. Fathom is a new app in Jive's App Market (available to all Jive customers on Jive 5). It is completely free to install and allows you to monitor sources like Twitter, Facebook Fan pages, communities, and 100M+ other sites across the web. You just create the search by choosing keywords of interest, and Fathom scans the social web, collecting relevant results. This is not a 'trial' app or demo of Jive's broader social media engagement capabilities. It's a new product that brings social media listening to everyone--whether you're in support, sales, R&D, HR, or Marketing--at no cost.

Fathom provides access to the entire social web, including the full Twitter firehose. In addition, it's tightly integrated with Jive's Social Business platform. Results are reported to you right in Jive, making them easy to keep track of and share with colleagues. If you see a tweet or post of interest to your peers or coworkers, you can just click to turn the item into a discussion, document or blog post for others to see. Fathom also helps you analyze the data it collects, identify trends, and share periodic reports.

For those social media experts in your company who want to do even more, Jive now also offers the more advanced Fathom Pro through the Jive Apps Market for $49 per person per month. Fathom Pro's features include the ability to engage directly with social media: you can log into your Facebook or Twitter accounts to post, reply, tweet or retweet, without leaving Fathom Pro. Fathom Pro also also provides more advanced analytics--such as the ability to track sentiment trends and measure user influence. And Fathom Pro lets you create an unlimited number of automated searches at no additional charge--another aspect of Jive's approach social web engagement that sets us apart from most others in the industry.

So my recommendation for any Jive 5 customer who wants to be a hero and introduce the power of social media monitoring to everyone at your company is, start getting the word out about Fathom now!

Here are some additional details around the differences between Fathom and Fathom Pro (this list is not exhaustive of all the functionality, just an overview):

FeatureFathomFathom Pro
Number of saved searches3Unlimited
History of the social web14 Days30 Days
Analytics history14 Days6 Months
Analytics - mention trends
Analytics - compare mention trends for multiple searchesUp to 3Unlimited
Analytics - media distribution
Alerts - receive alerts in your Jive activity stream
Alerts - receive alerts in your email
Collaborate on results within your Jive community (create discussions, documents, blog posts quoting results)
Collaborate on analytics graphs within your Jive community (create discussions, documents, blog posts quoting results)
Share searches between team members
View and track sentiment of results
Analytics - sentiment trends
Engage with the social web (post, reply, retweet, favorite, like)
Connect your Facebook and Twitter accounts for use in posting
See author's Klout scores to understand their social influence
Export data to csv

Any questions, thoughts, or reactions?  We're listening

Adam Mertz, Jive Product Marketing

iStock_000018166765XSmall.jpgThe approach of New Year's Day has me not only looking back over the major Jive milestones of 2011, but more importantly, thinking about the future.  The holidays are the time of year to reflect and promise to adopt a variety of goals. 

Do these sound familiar?

• Quit...drinking, smoking, over-eating
            • Start...working out, spending more time with the family, learning how to play the piano
            • Get...organized, out of debt, a new haircut
            • Give...time, money

I've found that the best New Year's resolutions are specific, measurable, and offer a reward that you don't have to wait 365 days to evaluate. 

So, Jive Community, I want to hear from you: What are your 2012 Social Business Resolutions?

Day 10: Where do you draw the line for social in your business?

Day 2: How has your social business platform helped your company "tighten the belt"?

iStock_000018063279XSmall.jpg

One of the biggest advantages of social business is the ability for people to socially orchestrate solutions and execute with agility; saving time and money.  Not unlike its predecessors, social cannot escape the reality that it may not always be the best answer.  Whether in a primary or complimentary capacity, balancing the role social plays in the enterprise is an exercise in managing risk, reward, and cost, just like any other business decision.

Due to its virtually endless applicability in the enterprise, it is often more important to deflect use-cases that will knowingly not succeed (as defined by your organizational values) on social, more so than solicit use-cases where you think social is applicable.  It has been my experience that for every use-case you identify that can benefit from social enhancement, your constituents will find another 4.  As such, educating people on lessons learned and known limitations will help reduce wasted efforts down the road, but also benefit your social adoption.  Which brings me to the question at hand,

Where do you draw the line for social in your business?

Based on your organizational value(s) are there any areas that you consider off limits for social enhancement in your enterprise?  If so, what is the reasoning or context for this decision?

Companies are now anxious to adopt all things “social”. But as many of us know, you could select the best, industry-leading tool and your community could still fail.

Why? As my InfoWeek blog “Who’s to Blame for a Failed Community” suggests, social software vendors may provide you with best practice advice or strategy toolkits, but the responsibility for success lies solely at the feet of the customer organization to both invest in and execute upon a well thought out social business strategy. A key part of that strategy must include investing in both community management and a strong community advocate program.

Kevin Crossman just covered last month The specified item was not found., so let me focus this blog post on the role of Community Advocates and why you need them.

It is my firm belief that a community can’t grow; sometimes it can’t even get off the ground well, if you don’t have these advocates involved early and often with you. Advocates can be your secret weapon in going wide, viral and global in both employee and market facing/customer communities.

The tactical way in which you locate or engage with your advocates may vary based upon the type of community (employee, customer, product support, etc.), but the principles I’ll describe below can apply to either type of community.

What are Community Advocates?

fan-small.png

Wikipedia says “an advocate is someone who speaks on behalf of another person”. Advocates are also sometimes thought of as an “influencer”.  Sean Driscoll of Ant's Eye View, in a recent presentation on "An Advocacy Program Framework", shared the following definition (referenced with permission):

“Advocate (Ad-vo-cate), noun

1. one that pleads the cause of another
  2. one that defends or maintains a cause or proposal
  3. one that supports or promotes the interests of another”

What Advocates Do and Why You Need Them?

We’ve defined “advocates”, but why are they so important to your community? First let's look at what a few experts have to say below.

"Without advocates--people who encourage others to use social business software to enact purpose-driven use cases that solve an end user's pain, or satisfy a business need for them--expect adoption to mosey along at a frustratingly slow pace, especially in more traditional cultures and regulated industries."Gia Lyons, Strategic Advisor and Jive Software Business Community Manager

"Customers become advocates when they willingly advocate on behalf of your company in public. . . There are of course totally organic advocates who will tirelessly promote your company out of affinity for your products or services. If you are not engaging these people, stop reading this piece and figure out how to do it right now.” David Armano, EVP, Global Innovation & Integration, “Humanizing Business & Brands: Your Ambassador Ecosystem

So what do advocates do? And why is that important?

First, advocates can share in Community Work.

Advocates can help you get real work done in the community.  They can:

• Lifeguard_chair-small.pngLead topics, discussions or smaller communities of interest
  • Show members ways to make effective use of the community to accomplish business goals
  • Help welcome new members
  • Deliver training or coaching sessions
  • Answer questions in the community
  • Write help topics for the community
  • Share best practices

Bottom line, advocates provide extra arms and legs you need to get community work done.

At CSC, we called our advocate group our “C3 Lifeguards”. They became our “strategic planning partners” in our social business journey. Our early team of 100 advocates helped us plan, seed and lead 200 use cases (or groups in C3) prior to our pilot launch. We asked these advocates to be local storytellers and deliver training sessions to their local teams, executives and business units. We attributed the early success of our pilot directly to the effectiveness of this advocate program.

Second, advocates can increase your community reach and word of mouth promotion.

megaphone_newsboy-small.pngOften, these advocates will not only promote, or spread word of mouth about the community, but highly engaged advocates will also vocally defend the community to naysayers and critics in areas where community managers alone cannot reach.

I just recently witnessed a powerful example where community advocates came to the defense of a brand in the marketplace. An industry blogger released a post that contained brand information many brand advocates perceived as inaccurate. The advocate group was so fully knowledgeable and engaged with that brand that the advocates responded in significant numbers to that industry blog post with what the advocates perceived as more correct facts.

Why was that so important?

1. Well, first the brand in question did not ask the advocates to reply.
  2. Second, the collective voice of the advocates was more powerful, and truly more influential, than that of a brand’s marketing or PR team.
  3. And finally, the advocates proved to be more credible, because they provided real examples from their specific experience supporting their contrary positions.

At CSC, our C3 Lifeguards helped us promote both the announcement of our new employee community and the effective use of the community for business purposes. They helped run local Lunch & Learn training sessions, and promote C3 to their local project teams and executives. They volunteered to lead 200 use cases that had local or business unit applications and in many ways helped us reach more people across our company and across the globe with real work examples. In 20 weeks our member registrations grew from 100 advocates to 25,000 registered users and from 200 work groups to 2000 groups. We attributed this viral growth of both user registrations and sponsored groups to the direct result of our C3 Lifeguard efforts.

Third, advocates can be a powerful front line source of end user and member support.

If you nurture advocates well, train them, arm them with templates, and make them feel part of your planning team, they can be a powerful source of end user or member support. Your advocates may field simple questions such as “how do I use” the community features or they may answer more complex questions such as “how do I use a brand’s product or solution”. Bottom line, these advocates can be your local storytellers, sharing best practices and use case examples for business value. This type of user generated community support can reduce the need for direct answers or intervention from a community manager or helpbutton-small.pngmoderator.

Again, at CSC, our C3 Lifeguards proved to be immensely in providing member support around the clock. Our employees did not have to wait for me to wake up on East Coast time to get an answer. As advocates came online in other times zones I knew they could, and would, watch and answer community member questions.

That type of immediate, front line source of support is not only beneficial, but it also shows members that member questions really do matter. When members get their questions answered quickly, they are left with a positive experience and keep using the community or even recommend the community to their network of colleagues.

Fourth, advocates can help you prune and curate community content. 

Prune-small.pngIt’s impossible for any one person to be able to create all the content a community needs nor be able to read, answer and engage with all members or questions in a large, vibrant community. Advocates can be an effective way to scale the work of content planning, pruning and curation.

Jeremiah Owyang, Altimeter Group, addresses this phenomenon best as he describes the Rings of Social Influence . . . “Companies cannot scale for social business -customers will always outnumber you. [To solve for this companies must] Leverage all the voices in your "rings" [of influence] . . . Use the crowd to self support not just in customer service, but also in marketing.”

In fact, this very Jive Community is an excellent example of great community advocacy at work. Many of us have volunteered to write blog posts to benefit the larger community knowledge base. There are others among us who are great curators or awesome at posting “lessons learned” and helpful tips & tricks. And there are other members who know the Jive Community membership well enough, and each of our strengths, to know when to push posts or questions other members for them to answer.

Finally (although the list could go on!), your community advocates can be a trusted source of user feedback.

feedback-small.pngAdvocates are often very highly engaged with a brand’s products or services. They may also know the sentiment of the community and its members by being so highly engaged in the community. As such, this audience can be an important and trusted source for product, solution, brand or community feedback.  Brands can leverage these advocates by providing behind the scenes product previews with the goal of gaining insights and innovative ideas.

At CSC we continue to engage our C3 Lifeguards in release testing, feature release priorities and other programs where we value the input and feedback of our members.

What’s the Bottom Line?

In short, a community manager must not forget the essential role community advocates can play in a healthy, vibrant community.

“Spend lots of love and attention on identified advocates… Equip them to onboard their network, wherever it happens to exist. These people are critical to a positive, rapid and widespread adoption experience.” Gia Lyons

As a community manager, it’s important that you locate, nurture and engage with your community advocates. The effort you invest with this advocate team will pay you immense dividends in the long run.

In summary, advocates can:

• Be your local story tellers to their peers, to others in the industry or with other members;
  • Demonstrate best practices for community use to be emulated by others in the community;
  • Be a powerful front line source for member support and answers;
  • Be a highly motivated voice of your brand, influencing not only the community members, but others in the marketplace as well;
  • Be a source of content and engagement planning; 
  • Be a source of feedback and guidance for you as you steer your community to success.

Claire Flanagan is CSC’s Director of Social Business and Community Strategy and a Jive Champion. She led CSC’s employee community C3 and is leading efforts to bring social business capabilities to other aspects of CSC’s eco-system of customers and partners.

Claire speaks regularly at industry conferences about social business and has received numerous awards along the way such as the Jive Community Adoption Award, The 2.0 Adoption Council’s Internal Evangelist of the Year Award and the Jive Champion Award. The C3 team was a CSC Chairman’s Award for Excellence Finalist. She is a charter member of The Social Business Council, board member for The Community BackChannel #cmtybc, and a member of The Community Roundtable. You can connect with Claire on Twitter at @cflanagan.

The views expressed here are Claire’s personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by CSC and do not necessarily represent the views of CSC.

iStock_000018094908XSmall.jpg

Rewarding community participation is imperative to the longevity of any online community.  Most online communities follow the 90:9:1 principle, which according to Wikipedia:

The "90–9–1" … states that 1% of people create content, 9% edit or modify that content, and 90% view the content without contributing.

So to break this down into "lamens terms", for every batch of 7,843,113 users, you have:

• 7,058,801.7 users who view (.7 indicates right eye is half-shut)
  • 705,880.17 users who modify / edit content (.17 indicates mouse only interaction)
  • 78,431.13 users who actually create content (.13 indicates liberal lorem ipsum usage)

Now that that's cleared up, standard interpretations and actions are pretty straight forward and universal: increase content creators.  If you fall below the 1% mark for creators....then theoretically your community may be being starved for content.  Conversely, having too many creators is rarely a problem as long as they are complementary.  Rewards for community participation play a key role in achieving this goal at scale, and should be leveraged by community managers who wish to keep pace with their spiking growth trends.  In fact, I've been working with laurie martin on some new ways to reward our customers in the Jive Community … so stay tuned!

But back to the question at hand,

What do you do to reward participation in your online community?

P.S.  I may have found the wrong definition for "lamens terms". =)

iStock_000018511656XSmall.jpg

Believe it or not, movies are a great communication tool for relating societal trends and sentiment.  But not all movies are created equal.  For example, there are movies like Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, and The Godfather that frequently are revered as the best movies of all-time; while rounding out the bottom we have cinematic "gems" like Mac and Me, Battlefield Earth, and Santa with Muscles (don't ask how I know this one). 

If you look at the winners listed above, you'll see strong elements of plot, character, and underlying motifs at play that resonate with most people.  If you look at the other movies … well … you probably just wasted $1.99 on iTunes.  But, good or bad, movies are a great vehicle for expressing yourself socially, as they tend to generate quotable phrases that can provide deep contextual meaning with very few words.

For example:

• Have fun storming the castle!
  • I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.
  • You can't handle the truth!
  • Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
  • These go to 11.

(Can you name these movies without Google?)

So this brings me back to the question at hand,

What movie quote(s) best represents the state of your social business?

P.S. I'll be back … for another day of conversation tomorrow.

iStock_000014181195XSmall.jpg

Lists are great.  We all make them in one shape or another. Grocery lists, shopping lists, and even the never-ending To-Do list.   Lists give us a sense of accomplishment; crossing off items and allowing us to look back and see what we've done.  But its what's left on the list that tends to be the most important.

Today, Jive Software crossed a huge item off it's list, going public. (see Paving the new way to the NASDAQ ... with Social Business). 

This feat would not have been possible without our customers, and again, from the bottom of our hearts … we thank you for your vision and support for the new way to business.

So what's left on our list?  We turn the focus towards our customers, and ask the simple question:

What's next on your social business To-Do list?

Today we began our life as a publicly-traded company. This marks a major milestone in Jive's history: from a small, two person company that started in Iowa to a leading global provider of Social Business software, listed on the NASDAQ. Wow, have we come a long way!

This event is significant not just for Jive as a company, but also for the broader market and for all of you, our customers, without whom this could not have happened. You are the agents of change, embracing social to drive not just the new way but the ONLY way to get work done. Jive's IPO is a testament to the power of social -- it's here to stay. It is clear that the market at large is taking note and recognizing its importance. As I have said many times, social business is the most significant enterprise software category in the last decade -- it is transforming how we work, making us so much more productive and driving better business outcomes.

As we celebrate this major achievement today at Jive, we hope that you will join us in enjoying this moment. You have been and will continue to be a vital part of this process. We simply could not have achieved this without you. THANK YOU!

We are on a long-term journey to change the way works gets done. This event is one, albeit, important stop on our way. Our vision is greater and our journey will continue: our focus remains on delivering great value to our customers with social business.

I wish all of you a happy holiday season with your families and loved ones. We look forward to continuing to drive the new way to business with you in 2012, and thank you again for partnering with and investing in Jive.

Tony Z

P.S. Throughout the day today, we will be posting pictures and videos of the event, so stay tuned for some behind the scenes footage!

opening-ceremony.pngtower.pngcake.png

Every year around the holidays, children write letters to Santa sending him their Christmas wish lists.  As of late, some children have adopted a more modern approach:

@SantaClaus #xmaswishlist2011 Nintendo 3DS #want, iPod Touch 4th Gen #reallywant #beengood #promise#santaisawesomesauce

Either way, the idea of Santa is established as an icon of joy, happiness, good-will, and getting us what we want.  So what is a "social santa," you may ask?  A "social santa" is the person that introduced and got you to BELIEVE in Social Business. This person can be someone you know personally, through a reference, or even just someone whose blog you've read. It doesn't even have to be a person, a "social santa" can be anything that sparks the "Ah ha!" moment for you.

Personally, my social santa started with my interest in the power of people in mass.  It's amazing how much people working towards a common goal can accomplish.  I mean, just check out these guys:   Any "force" that can motivate this many nerds has got to be substantial.  That is the power of social, and the power social business software can unleash for an enterprise (in my opinion).  This is what keeps me excited, and more importantly … what keeps me believing in social business software.

So give a shout out to those people, things, or events that inspired your social business passion, by answering:

Who is your social santa?

Social business beards.  Really?  Never heard of them?  Well here at Jive, we just wrapped up a pretty epic "Novembeard" contest. Every year, as one of the many ways we keep things fun while we're working hard, a group of us get a clean shave on November 1st, and then grow our beards as fiercely as possible until Dec 1st. It's similar to the Movembeard movement, but our angle is that we're going for full beards during the month -- neck shaving only! We want to get those facial manes nice and scraggly. Then, come December, we have a furry canvas upon which to practice the fine art of shaving.

This year, 41 brave folks entered the fray (which we of course managed on our internal Jive network). Here's some of the beards after 30 days:

IMG_1564.jpgbearded.jpg photo.JPGPhoto+on+2011-11-30+at+12.13.jpg20111130_154754.jpg

sturgeon-beard.jpgbeard-4.jpgBill.jpgphoto (1).jpglumberjack.jpg

2011-11-30_16-28-52_671.jpgnov-30.jpgPhoto+on+11-30-11+at+8.27+AM.jpgpic.pngbeard_week4.jpg20111130.jpg

And here's some of what happened in the post-shave aftermath - style points!

DSCF2382.jpgmonkeytail_side.jpgIMAG0113.jpg

Did your company get in on the hirsute antics? Who won?

Filter Blog

By date: By tag:
Introducing Tracks on the Jive Community
Configure your Jive Community experience by selecting a track. We'll use this track on the homepage to show you relevant content and help you find resources quickly. You can change your track easily from the homepage or your profile.
As a community manager, you're an ambassador for your Jive community as you build places, curate content and engage with fellow community members. To help you go further with your site, we'll share success stories and other resources.
Whether considering a new purchase or working on an upgrade, technology managers need insight on the best ways to implement a community and learn more about the various upgrades in software releases.
An effective community starts with sound business strategy. As your community matures, you'll want to learn and share best practices for implementation and continued success.
Whether you're a developer, system administrator or a designer, you need insight on building a great user experience for your Jive community. Get the scoop on theming, API's, upgrades and more.
We've got a special area for partners to get essential information and best practices they need for describing and selling Jive to potential customers.
Whether or not you have a specific role in your Jive community, this track highlights areas of interest to Jive users such as training materials, community best practices and an opportunity to network with other customers.
save and close