1 23 24 25 26 27 Previous Next

Jive Talks

697 posts

iStock_000014702097XSmall.jpgThe question of how to make a company more cost effective has been around since the beginning of ... well ... business.  It's only in  "recent history" that a focus has been made on improving company collaboration to gain efficiency at scale.

In the 19th century, companies turned to telegraphy, a technology that allows operators to send messages via hand-tapped Morse Code.  This method quickly fell out of favor, as a single office-wide forward regularly caused substantial operator backlogs.  Any profits gained were subsequently erased by spiking overtime pay.  Thanks a lot, Mr. Telegraph!

Moving on to the 20th century, we discover internet and electronic mail (a.k.a email for those technophiles).  Before email, an office patron would have to:

• Walk to the mailbox (exercise)
  • Walk back to the desk (exercise)
  • Open envelopes (killing trees + paper cuts)
  • Read the letter (literacy required)

All this taking upwards of at least 5-10 minutes a day.  If they have to do this up to 6 times daily, that's nearly an hour every day just checking mail!  But now there's email, which makes the process so much simpler:

• Click on Inbox (exercise)
  • Liberal SPAM Filter (message deleted)
  • Read Subject-Line Only (literacy optional, emoticons instruct when to open)
    • Double-Click (exercise) and Read Message (only 1 in 20 messages actually read)
  • Click back to Solitaire  (exercise)

Now office workers can check mail in less than 10 seconds, as many times a day as needed.  Not only are they informed, but they can spend less time obtaining knowledge.

What are historians going to say about Social Business technologies?  Only time will tell, but you can share your thoughts now by answering this question:

How has your social business platform helped your company "tighten the belt"?

Previous Days of Conversation:

Day 1:  Why did you choose your social business platform?

Introducing the 12 Days of Conversations ...

iStock_000018159142XSmall.jpgIt may feel some what like a broken record question,

"Why did you choose platform X, or what were the use-cases behind product Y?"

But the truth of the matter is that these questions are the 2nd biggest questions asked in today's social landscape.  Only topped by the predecessor:

How do I justify investing money into something as new as social business?

In a way, answering these questions is a lot like a box of chocolates (and no I didn't say it like that). 

Here are just a few parallels, I've been able to put together these past few moments:

• Similar factors:  Which brand?  Pre-packaged vs. custom?  Expiration date? 
    • Ok maybe that one is just for us last minute shoppers at the local convenience store.  #rule_of_thumb, if the chocolates say 1990s and dont sport the words vintage, authentic, or preservatives ... best to probably move  along.  =)
  • It's something that you tend to give to others, rather than buy for yourself.
    • This isn't to say that eating a 16-count gourmet box of chocolates by yourself on your first Valentine's Day dance alone because your date decided there were better things to do is a bad thing, but in the end ... I think that's why Haagen Daaz and Ben and Jerry's were established; for these extenuating circumstances (at least this is what I tell myself).
  • It's usually good to read the card that tells what each chocolate is and what to expect. 
    • Sometimes you can get lucky and choose something great, like #smoky_chocolate_bbq_ganache, or something a bit less pleasing, like #coconut_tripe_truffles.

So back to the question(s) at hand,

• Why did you choose your social business platform? 
  • What made it stand out above the rest?
  • If you had it to do all over again, would you make the same decision? Why?

It's that time of year again, and by that I mean December.  The month of holiday music, black friday hangovers, and chocolate-covered goodness (not necessarily in that order).  Since we can't play holiday muzak, dip your avatars in chocolate, or absolve your guilt from aggressive holiday shopping, we wanted to find a way to bring the holiday spirit to our community. 

And this is what we came up with:

The 12 Days of Conversations

Over the next 12 (business) days, we will post a series of anecdotes and icebreakers (with a fun twist) to help our users engage in open discussion about their social business experiences.   Our goal: To unite people in conversations that may benefit their social business initiatives in 2012 and beyond.

Keep an eye out for the first conversation!

Better late than never, right?  Well, this may not be posted the minute, day, or week of the actual panel, but it doesn't take away from the fact that there were some great  topics discussed.  So what better way to distill, share, and proliferate those topics than to make a blog post?  (Lunar laser inscription fees apparently are not an "approved budget item", sad_panda)  So with that in mind, let's get this recap blog post started!

Designing Social Applications - Panelists

Discussion Topics:

• Importance of Standards for the Enterprise, very important!  Allows for IT to maximize ROI on training / knowledge / architectures.
  • OpenSocial - Build on ubiquitous skill-sets, such as HTML5, JS, CSS, and REST Services.  A specification capable of addressing both consumer AND enterprise demands.
    • "It is what Portal should have been" says Ryan Rutan (a.k.a me).  Portal is only as good as the number of systems it interconnects.  Inherent barriers to integration, complex, and isolated stacks have historically constrained portal adoption.  No intrinsic value beyond the proposition of aggregation.
    • Reduces technology barriers and enables small, intermediate, or full immersion into "social" to gauge culture match and success.  Better ROI validation across multiple domains.  Most OpenSocial containers offer functionality in addition to aggregation, such as collaboration.
  • Write-once, deploy everywhere mentality unrealistic.  OpenSocial containers, while technically compliant, are not contextually interchangeable.  Apps tend to behave differently in different social constructs.  As such, it is in the Apps best interest to embrace these contextual differences and optimize accordingly.
  • Natural harmonies exist between architectures of Mobile and OpenSocial.  Acknowledged by OpenSocial 2.0 specification with "mobile" view support, enabling further ROI and low-barrier options for mobile support.
  • OAuth2 - Very important to enterprise readiness (ease of implementation) and general adoption of trusted/secured application development.  Capable of supporting internet, intranet, and mixed-mode trust scenarios.
    • Imperative to separate Authentication and Authorization.  For example, Facebook uses OAuth2 for both.  Works well for Facebook, not so much as a good rule of thumb for traditional enterprise architectures.
  • Gamification - "It's not about making work not suck" (Zickerman)  Appeal to elements of human behavior and the corporate culture.  Mismatches tend to lead to failure.
    • App interactions should be timely, relevant, and highly contextual for viral appeal.
  • What sorts of enterprise applications are a great match for "socialization"?
    • Ask yourself:  How important is it to the business? How bad is the experience for the End Users?  The apps that intersect are likely good candidates.
    • Goal: Improve the 80% use-cases, preserve legacy system as 20% fall back.

As an industry, I feel we are standing at the precipice of change in how we get work done and do business as a whole.  Building and/or leveraging enterprise applications, that incorporate our social-selves, has the potential to create tremendous competitive advantages for companies looking to maximize employee productivity.  (Sounds like a good thing, right?)  Topics such as those listed above should be at the forefront of any forward looking competitive enterprise application strategy.   If not, then now is good time to start playing catch-up. =)

Have a question, opinion, idea, or just general thoughts about  any of the topics discussed?  Feel free to share and keep the discussion going!

Before I announce the winner, lets meet some of the finalists:

Dr. Bruce Banner - Nuclear Physicist, United States DoD

Extremely smart, good natured, and driven personality.  Conflict resolution skills and social "interactiveness" leave room for improvement.

Collaboration Gooooood! … Email Baaaaaaad!

Ferris Bueller - Social Director, Italian Horse Automotives, Inc.

Exceptional social skills, thinks on his feet, and knows how to energize a crowd.  Excessive sick leave leads to concerns about long-term health.

I should have gotten a car instead of this computer, at least the car doesn't come equipped with a flooded inbox!

Ryan Rutan - Social Business Architect, National Instruments

Strong backgrounds in technology, business, theater, as well as the the Jive platform.   Excessive desire to share thoughts on Social Business and interject humor.

I believe whole-heartedly that embracing the power of people in the enterprise is the new way to business!

On one hand, we have an individual with intelligence, super powers, and anger management problems.  On the other, we have a "life of the party" person who can rally anyone into a Twist and Shout montage at the drop of a hat.  Sitting in the middle, is Ryan who has been preaching the value of Jive, as a customer, for more than 4 years and seems determined to drive Social Business awareness and adoption in the industry.  In the end, the final decision was obvious!  But Bruce decided to take his super powers to The Avengers and Ferris replied with an Out of Office "Barfing up Lung" response.  So that leaves me, writing this blog post.  Introducing myself as the new Jive Community Manager.

What should you expect from me as the new Jive Community Manager?

• I'll focus on community direction, purpose, and structure.
  • I'll provide better communication around what, when, how, and where to collaborate to achieve the best results.
  • I'll be your biggest advocate to help make the Jive platform successful for your company!
  • I will never intentionally leave you hanging
  • I will never promise something I honestly feel I cannot deliver.
  • I will never use the terms "Talking Jive" or "Jive Talkin" (karaoke exemption)

What do I ask in return?

• Patience - I need to get ramped up into my new role and responsibilities.  (It shouldn't take long.)
  • Cooperation - Work with me to make realistic and actionable plans that lead to measurable outcomes to address your needs.  I enjoy a good venting as much as the next person; however, venting without action tends to be less cathartic.  Help me … help you.
  • Benefit of the Doubt -  Asking for your trust on day one is a tall order. Instead, I'm asking for your "benefit of the doubt"; that I will act in the best interest of ALL community members.  In time, I hope to earn everyone's trust as your official liaison to Jive product management.

and the question that is on everyone's mind …

What about your plugins?

The short answer is, they will still be available for FREE and I will continue to develop plugins to help address needs/demands (where appropriate) in the community.  I will try to channel some of the more popular features into the Jive product road map to provide a better long term solution, but unsure of how realistic that is at this point in time. It is still my intention to deliver an Evernote plugin (announced at JiveWorld11) in the near future; however, timing will need to re-evaluated.  Stay tuned to Plugins by ryanrutan for more details.

I look forward to working with, and for, each of you in this new role to further Jive's leadership in the social business industry

Registration for JiveWorld11 has official opened. Here are the Top 5 to Stay Connected Before, During and After the show (even for the folks stuck in their office this week):

get connected icons.jpg

1. JiveWorld11 Community: jivesoftware.com/jw11community

Either from your laptop or the official JiveWorld11 mobile app, you can share pictures, updates and more with the entire JiveWorld11 community.

2. Twitter: twitter.com/jivesoftware

Broadcast brief messages to colleagues and other attendees from your laptop or mobile phone and receive valuable conference information from Jive staff. Remember to type #jw11 in your tweet to send updates to the entire JiveWorld community on Twitter.

3. LinkedIn: http://linkd.in/jw11li

Make a lot of new contacts at JiveWorld? Build your network of connections on LinkedIn and exchange information, ideas, and professional opportunities.

4. Facebook: facebook.com/fans.of.jive

Want to be friends? Stay up to date on conference news, get special discounts, and connect with other attendees by “liking” Jive on Facebook. You can also connect with fellow customers and get company news and resources.

5. YouTube: youtube.com/jivesoftware

View videos contributed by Jive staff and other conference attendees of cool product demonstrations from the exhibition as well as interviews with Jive leadership and industry experts.

Jive for Outlook® is here

Posted by ariel.cohen Sep 29, 2011

I'm extremely happy  to announce that Jive for Outlook® is now generally available!  With this game-changing product we are continuing our mission of driving the new way to business.

Jive for outlook® is the biggest result of our OffiSync acquisition (read more about it here: Jive Acquires OffiSync. Brings a Complete Social Experience to Your Microsoft Desktop) enabling us to accelerate the time to market with such a revolutionary solution.

No other company or products have ever come close to delivering such a deep and broad integration with Outlook®. The level of complexity to reach such results required us to go above and beyond the standard level of integration.

Jive for Outlook® transforms the way information workers use email and engage with one another. We make it possible to actually use Outlook® to boost productivity.

Email remains the most common collaboration solution in the enterprise, yet we all know it's a very unproductive one. Employees spend too much time sifting through old and new threads looking for the information needed and trying to keep up with the email overload. And while email is a communication tool between people, PEOPLE don't get the priority they deserve. Jive for Outlook® changes that by putting people at the center of every communication, adding context and social profiles that improves the way people manage their communications, making the process more productive and social. Additionally we help people find the right communication whether it is trapped in their inbox or available in Jive by using our new Super Search (and super fast) technology, that looks  across Outlook® and their Jive communities to find the information and experts they need to get their jobs done faster. All from one quick search.

Collaborate better, faster. With Jive for Outlook® we give customers a way to replace “reply all” and “group emails” with the new way to work – up-to-date discussions. Now, users can easily create Jive discussions from Outlook® directly. Plus, they can post updates, send direct messages and consume all Jive content (yeah, that means blogs, document updates, company newsletters, threaded discussions, you name it) in an innovative threaded way without leaving the comfort of Outlook®. Why does that matter? It means that Outlook users can finally easily get critical information and knowledge out of their inboxes and in front of the people that need to see it.

If you want to learn more about Jive for Outlook® Try it. If you aren't using it already, start now – you'll love it. For more info go to our community plugins page: <<Enter Link>>>

To read more about this product, click here or watch a demo below.

And finally, but importantly, I want to acknowledge the incredible work with our alpha and beta customers which really helped us to make a great product.

Thank you!

Ariel and the Jive for Outlook team. 

In my travels through the Social Business universe, I'm regularly struck by how often I hear software companies talking about social as if it were an entirely different software animal -- a visitor from Planet Facebook, if you will. You know, that place where we all live in the stream and random people we have met throughout our lives drop in and out of our social living rooms with bulletins on their lives.

Since I work at Jive, I’m clearly biased. But here’s an insightful theory from Geoffrey Moore, author of Crossing the Chasm. Enterprise IT has been locked for the past 20 years in an era of “Systems of Record.” Databases, CRM systems, and accounting software are all designed to capture transactions for posterity.

But Social Business, like social media is a friendlier software buddy, a critter that is more interested in context than transactions. Context is simply not in the vocabulary of legacy enterprise software, and because of this you’ll find that social data doesn’t easily fit into the structured format of the records we’ve maintained for the last couple decades.

Yet, context will define the next generation of enterprise IT -- a generation focused more on “Systems of Engagement” that are geared towards capturing context and the many other squishy, fuzzy parts of interactions between companies and customers and within companies themselves. And these are the parts of a relationship that comprise the truly valuable knowledge that can make the difference on a sales call or in a new product launch.

Systems of Record would tell you that your friend from high school now works at company XYX, lives in St. Louis, and likes chocolate. A System of Record will give you the address, title, and a few extra details about a customer.

But a System of Engagement would let you recall exactly how this friend reacted to the box of white chocolate you sent last year (they prefer dark but white is good because their husband/wife likes dark and eats it all), how many weeks they went on vacation, and what articles in the New York Times intrigue them.

In the same vein, a System of Engagement will let you look back at how a customer interacted during the sales process, whether they wanted a white paper or a video, how long it took them to make their decision, and who else they had to consult in their company, and whether they felt comfortable discussing technical details or needed a more technical team member. Both systems will co-exist forever -- the capture of a transaction record is essential for accounting processes and running a business.

But Planet Facebook and the insistent incursion of ways to capture, manage and search through past engagements inform smart decisions based on contextual information that Systems of Record aren’t good at providing.

What do you think? Will bringing more context into the enterprise and adding “Systems of Engagement” drive a new revolution in Enterprise IT?

As Jive's social media manager, I'm always experimenting with new and cool technologies. Although geeky, it's not uncommon for me to spend my weekend debating the best new mobile app or the validity of the Words with Friends dictionary. However, my true passion lies when I get to take interesting social tools and apply them to the enterprise.  That's why I was super excited when I discovered CrowdFactory, a Jive Apps Partner. This sweet app makes it easy to create social offers and contests; embed social elements into traditional ads, videos, landing pages; empower brand advocates; build a social database; and track ROI!

Within 10 minutes, I was able to setup an Facebook campaign that rewards Jive brand advocates like you!

Here's how it works:

Step 1: Visit Jive's Facebook Page

Step 2: Like Us, if you haven't already

Step 3: Tap into Your Network. Tell them to meet you at JiveWorld11 in Las Vegas.

Step 4: Track Your Progress. When 3 colleagues or friends click on the unique link from your share, you'll get an email with a special confirmation code.

Step 5: Enter this code here and get $200 off JiveWorld11 registration.

Step 6: Get ready to be blown away at the premier Social Business conference!

Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 11.10.40 AM.png

Have questions, thoughts, or feedback on this offer? Comment below.

iStock_000003673612XSmall.jpgWe have awesome customers and want to give you, the social change agents, a chance to be recognized.

Each year, the Society for New Communications Research presents the prestigious SNCR Excellence in New Communications Awards. The Society’s prestigious awards program honors individuals, corporations, nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, and media outlets that are innovating the use of social media and Internet communications technologies (ICT) in the areas of business, media, journalism and professional communications, entertainment, education, social initiatives, government and politics.

Full information on this award can be found online, and I've provided some highlighted details below:

· There are 6 leading categories for submission

· In 2010, in addition to the 6 awards categories, awards entitled “Commendations of Merit and Commendations of Excellence” were also presented to nearly 30 additional organizations that submitted case studies to the awards program.

· Submissions are $75 each, with winning case studies having been published in previous years

·  If selected, awards are given at the SNCR Research Symposium & Awards Gala held on Thursday, November 3rd through Friday, November 4th at Harvard University, in Cambridge, MA

·  In addition to the gala, a press release will be issued announcing the winners, which recipients typically leverage for outreach (recipients also have issued a press release on their respective wins)

The deadline for the submission is Friday, September 9, 2011.

internal_community_manager external_community_managers jive_champion

This week we are happy to announce that Jive was recognized by the two leading industry research firms -- Forrester and Gartner -- as a leader in the social software industry. 

We could not have achieved this milestone without YOU - our customers, partners and employees who are helping us drive the new way to business. I’d like to thank everyone who has contributed to our success. We look forward to stepping it up to an even bigger level as we continue to improve our products and services to help you grow your business.

Here are some of the details behind this achievement:

Screen shot 2011-09-02 at 11.59.16 AM.pngWe are a Leader in three Gartner Magic Quadrants, covering the social business software market. The three reports include the "Magic Quadrant for Social Software in the Workplace, 2011," the "Magic Quadrant for Externally Facing Social Software, 2011," and the "Magic Quadrant for Social CRM, 2011."  Complimentary copies of these reports can be downloaded here. Gartner positions vendors in the "Leaders" quadrant based on completeness of vision and their ability to execute on that vision.

Forrester Research recognized us as a Leader in "The Forrester WaveTM: Enterprise Social Platforms, Q3 2011" report. The report analyzes the state of the enterprise social platforms market as well as the strengths and weaknesses of top enterprise social platforms vendors. Nine products were evaluated and eighteen user companies were interviewed.

According to Forrester, “Jive continues to drive to establish and lead 'social business' as a new software category. With strong momentum and an application marketplace coming on line this year, 2011 could prove a pivotal year in its quest.”  If you are interested in getting a copy, you can download the report here. Screen shot 2011-09-02 at 11.59.27 AM.png

This recognition from Forrester and Gartner is a testament of the strength and leadership of our social business platform. And we are just getting started. We are constantly looking at every aspect of our business and will continue to innovate and invest in creating the best products in the market. Just as consumer social technologies are changing the way we live, Jive is building social business software to transform the way we work.

3shells.jpg

"3 Seashells" Back Story

You may be asking yourself ... three seashells?  Or hopefully, like me, you made the same connection between the new notification management features in Jive 5 and the subtle movie sub-plot in the 1993 "blockbuster" Demolition Man, also known as that other movie Sandra Bullock starred in before Speed.

For those of you who missed out, may not remember, or consciously repressed any knowledge of this mega-movie classic, here is a quick recap: (spoiler alert)

• Rogue hero cop (Stallone) in a war-torn LA set in the "future" (1996), gets things done, breaks the rules, framed for crime by super villain (Snipes), both are cryogenically frozen for imprisonment
  • While frozen for 40 years, society becomes civilized and aggression is weeded out; however, super villain escapes from ice cube (not the rapper), city needs rogue hero cop to stop him
  • Too many cliche scenes about how different the future is to someone from the past
  • Bad guys lose, good guys win, and Stallone eats a rat burger.  The End.

Enter the three seashells.  Looking at the above picture, it is relatively obvious as to the use of the 3 seashells.  Right?  Wrong.  And the movie racks up comedy bonus miles galore by not explaining them to the audience (or more importantly, Stallone).  In fact, in one scene Rob Schneider mocks Stallone for not knowing how to use them.  How to use the three seashells (successfully) is no doubt one of the greatest mysteries left unsolved from the 1990s, topped only by the wild success of Pogs

Notification Management with Jive What Matters

pastedImage_18.png

Fast forward to July 2011 and Jive 5 implements it's own version of the three seashells.  Like crop circles in the night, these three icons appear in the new Jive 5 social platform.  (see right image).  What are they?  Where did they come from? What do they do?  If the purpose of these icons isn't immediately clear, I'll go ahead and break the suspense.  They are for notification management (apologies for the Shyamalanian twist) and they are collectively referred to as "Jive What Matters".

The Problem

We all know the problem, it stares us in the face every day.  In our web browser,  inbox, and even on dry-erase boards at our desks, we all have just too much to do.  Does the following sound familiar?

Ever since I started using [INSERT SOCIAL PLATFORM NAME], I've been flooded with too much information.  And the emails!  I'm hearing too much Garfunkel and not enough Simon.  How am I supposed to get things done?  It's literally like drinking from a fire hose.  Yes, Iiterally!  There's got to be a better way!!!!

nitalk-notification-management-diagram.png

The Solution - Jive What Matters

Jive What Matters is a collection of features added to Jive 5  that, when used together, can empower users to better align their social awareness with their social readiness. These features include:

• All Activity - Allows users to observe the fire hose, defined as an unfiltered list of all content in all places by all people that is viewable for a given user. 
    • This is traditionally used for organic conversation discovery and recreational interest across all knowledge domains.
  • Followed Activity - Allows users to define rules to filter the fire hose towards specific content, places, and people
    • This is traditionally used for refined conversation discovery around specific knowledge domains.
    • Hide Filtering - Allows users to define exceptions to the Followed Activity rules.
  • Jive Genius - Service that analyzes a user's behavior across all content, places, people, and topics in an effort to predict high-quality conversations that are relevant to the user.
  • My Communications - Allows users to focus on active conversations where they are engaged or expressed explicit interest.
    • Untrack Filtering - Allows users to define exceptions to their tracking rules.
  • Actions - Allows users to focus on what they need to do, as defined by themselves, others, or applications.

When it comes to using tools to monitor social activity, people adopt two distinct behaviors:

• Fear of Exclusion - Defined as people who prefer to see possibly more than needed so they do not miss anything.
    • Its like watching infomercial re-runs all night long because you don't want to miss the premiere of the next big, must-have doohickey.
  • Fear of Overload - Defined as people who prefer to see as little as possible, so they can avoid unnecessary noise. 
    • Its like turning on the TV at exactly 1:33am to just catch the ShamWow "buy now" special offer because really, there's sliced bread and ShamWows...and that's about it.

At any point in time, people adopt one of these two behaviors, but this decision isn't fixed.  As conditions change, so does the need to re-evaluate one's social behavior.   For example,

When doing research on a topic that is relatively new, it is more likely for someone to desire more content rather than less.  As they become more educated on the subject matter, it is more likely for them to intelligently select information sources that are in line with their specific information needs.  Same person.  Same topic.  Different point in time.  Different behaviors.

The funnel diagram (right) attempts to depict a user's collaboration environment, as it relates to these behaviors, Jive What Matters, and the activity fire hose.  In a nutshell,

For times when you need to be inwardly focused (high personal responsibility), Jive offers the use of Actions (just tell me what to do) and My Communications (help me keep track of what I'm already doing) to help control information overload.  For those who tend to be more socially responsible (by virtue of personality and/or job function), using the Followed Activity interface provides a great way to sift through what's going on.  Be sure to leverage the "Hide" and "Untrack" features in Activity and My Communications respectively to keep your streams more relevant.  Engage the Jive Genius recommendation engine frequently to discover new conversations, as well as to improve its understanding of what matters most to you.  Jive Genius fundamentally bridges the two distinct social behaviors offering "quality" missed conversations in an interface that is unobtrusive, and yet readily available.

Conclusion

When it comes to social software, notification management is THE 800 lb. Gorilla in the room.  Platforms that continue to ignore Giggles (yes, I named the gorilla) and provide sub-par tools to manage user notifications will find their longevity in the marketplace cut drastically short.  It is inevitable.  As users become more interconnected with each other, collaboration will organically flourish into a bountiful forest of notifications.  And, while that future sounds all lollipops and kittens, the reality is: notification mismanagement is the #1 deterrent to social software adoption.   Selecting a social platform capable of answering this challenge is imperative for long-term success

From what I've seen in Jive 5 and Jive What Matters thus far, I can only feel positive about the road ahead!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WX28QBAHa30/TG3ZLl5mtrI/AAAAAAAABFU/ra2FX3PQ4PQ/s1600/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Some closing thoughts:

• If you are considering a new social platform for your enterprise or community, I highly recommend that you consider evaluating platforms with a mind-set beyond the first six months to address this notification management problem head on.
    • How will the solution(s) empower users to manage this problem, when it occurs?  How many levels of granularity does it provide?
    • How will the solution(s) cater to both social behaviors, "Fear of Exclusion" and "Fear of Overload" on-demand?
    • How will the solution(s) compel users to keep them engaged in the system?  Will your users react accordingly?
  • If you are already using Jive 5 (or a previous version of Jive),
    • Take the time to provide quality training to users on the Jive What Matters interface(s), and how they can be used to promote an efficient  collaboration environment. 
    • Don't leave users stranded in a cubicle (or bathroom stall) staring perplexed at three seashells while getting overrun by excess notifications.
    • Don't mock users for being new to the future of enterprise collaboration.
  • Lastly, regardless of what Google might suggest from this article, watching Demolition Man will not make you an expert on notification management, Jive 5, or Jive What Matters.  At best, you'll want to tweet about your impromptu enchirito craving for Fourthmeal.

The more you know. 

Be well.

Ryan has over 10 years of experience in web technologies including Java, eMarketplace, ECM, CRM, Web Analytics, Email Deliverability and Collaboration. As the Social Business Architect at National Instruments, Ryan is responsible for orchestrating collaboration solutions that connect employees, customers, and enterprise systems.  Ryan is an MIS graduate of the McCombs School of Business at The University of Texas at Austin.  You can connect with him online at @ryanrutan or on LinkedIn.

jw_jc_blog_header_082311.jpg

As Jive's director of events it's hard to believe that our third JiveWorld is almost upon us. Where did the summer go? Well, on my end, it went toward the million little details that ensure you have a great experience at JiveWorld. Let's just say, the Cosmopolitan is going to be smokin', and you won't be disappointed.

I just got a sneak peek at the final line-up and can honestly say that JiveWorld11 is shaping up to be the most inspirational, content rich, Social Business event of the year. Highlights include:

• Keynote presentation by Maria Pinchevsky, SVP of Support, T-Mobile - "How Social Became Mission-Critical for T-Mobile"
  • Deep dive into gamification with expert Gabe Zichermann
  • Social Business thought-leadership on the The Decade Ahead panel with industry leaders
  • More networking than ever before through events like Old School Social Networking night, JiveWorld11 Run and Yoga Club, and a Dinner Networking Night at the Cosmo. 

Oh, and get this: we're going to have more than 50 sessions lead by Jive customers and product experts. Here's a snapshot but you can find the full agenda here.

Track:  The New Way to Marketing

Session: Avon’s Marketing Makeover: Tailoring the Global Message

Speaker:  Jeanne Morton, Avon Products, Inc.

Track:  So You Think You’re a Social Business Guru?

Session: Advanced Measurement: Measuring and Acting on Employee Community Data

Speaker:  Ted Hopton, UBM and Brice Jewell, Cerner

Track:  The New Way to Work

Session: The Next Phase of Social Business

Speaker:  Andy Wang, Genentech

Track:  Best Practices in Social Business

Session: Always Learning at Pearson - Getting Internal Communities off to the Right Start

Speakers:  Kim England and Karen Gettman, Pearson

Don't forget:  Summer pricing ends on August 31st - take advantage of the savings by registering this week.

For more updates on JiveWorld11, head on over to the community where I'll be blogging regularly.

See you in Vegas!

Some people picture SXSW Interactive like this...

Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 2.09.55 PM.png

(Photo by Deirdre Walsh)

...BUT it's also a great networking, technology-pimpin' and best practice sharing conference that has a lot to offer Social Businesses.  I'm not just referring to the next hot start-up either.  Enterprise companies have a lot to gain from the 2012 event. 

Now, I need your help by voting and commenting on the following Jive-submitted sessions.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for helping elevated the coolness factor of REAL SOCIAL BUSINESS!

Also, feel free to add your session proposals in the comments section, so others can vote for you.

Marketing EnlightenmentWhat happens when your Marketing team is made up of folks at the corporate level, at the regional and local levels, all over the world? Or even just all over your office building? Mix in all the agency folks you work with, and you've got a recipe for a hot mess, coordination-wise.

If you're in Marketing, tell me if any of these sound familiar:

• "Who just updated the XYZ section of our Facebook fan page?"
  • "I'm. So. Tired. Of using email to collaborate with our agencies."
  • "Which digital assets have been most effective in which markets?"
  • "Where are the damn passwords to our 14 Twitter accounts?"
  • "Can someone tell me where our last customer survey results are?"
  • "Oh heck. I didn't know our Brazilian marketing team scheduled that event."
  • "The term 'Integrated Marketing' sounds like an oxymoron right now."
  • "I need to collaborate with someone before responding to this nasty Facebook post, but I don't know who."
  • "We've got a PR crisis in Germany. Who's responsible for responding? Who do we need from Legal on this?"
  • "Why are our 27 brand managers not coordinating with our SoMe team?"

I could go on, but I'm getting depressed.

National Instruments marketing organization figured out how to use Social Business Software to eliminate these pains and even win a Forrester Groundswell award.

Sure, it took time to get there, but it was worth the journey.

How would YOU use Social Business Software to coordinate your organization's marketing efforts?

Filter Blog

By date:
By tag:
Introducing Tracks on the Jive Community
Configure your Jive Community experience by selecting a track. We'll use this track on the homepage to show you relevant content and help you find resources quickly. You can change your track easily from the homepage or your profile.
As a community manager, you're an ambassador for your Jive community as you build places, curate content and engage with fellow community members. To help you go further with your site, we'll share success stories and other resources.
Whether considering a new purchase or working on an upgrade, technology managers need insight on the best ways to implement a community and learn more about the various upgrades in software releases.
An effective community starts with sound business strategy. As your community matures, you'll want to learn and share best practices for implementation and continued success.
Whether you're a developer, system administrator or a designer, you need insight on building a great user experience for your Jive community. Get the scoop on theming, API's, upgrades and more.
We've got a special area for partners to get essential information and best practices they need for describing and selling Jive to potential customers.
Whether or not you have a specific role in your Jive community, this track highlights areas of interest to Jive users such as training materials, community best practices and an opportunity to network with other customers.
save and close