Skip navigation
1 23 24 25 26 27 Previous Next

Jive Talks

741 posts

https://community.jivesoftware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/73-23115-169156/200-128/SBM-Final.jpg

-Your Legacy...

Won't be measured by the words in a performance evaluation or the size of your office.

It will be measured by how you changed a culture and the lives you touched. By the risks you were willing to take and the foresight of your ideas. By how you made people more productive by making them care more and work smarter. By how you broke down barriers created by titles, levels and cube walls. By how you opened the direction of your business to everyone.

Your legacy will be judged on what you leave behind. So that even when you're gone, they'll still talk about the day you gave them Jive.

To celebrate this manifesto, we've declared May to be Social Business Month

Here are the Top 7 Ways to Get Involved

• Join the The specified item was not found. Community

• The specified item was not found.

• Challenge Your Network to Join the Movement by clicking on the share button above

How will you get involved?

Deloitte recently published its list of Top 10 Tech Trends for 2012. At the top of the Disruptors category is Social Business. 

The emergence of boomers as digital natives and the rise of social media in daily life have paved the way for social business in the enterprise. This is leading organizations to apply social technologies on social networks, amplified by social media, to fundamentally reshape how business gets done. Some of the initial successful use cases are consumer-centric, but business value is available – and should be realized – across the enterprise.

To get a greater understand of the trends IN social business, I sat down with Jive Chief Strategy Officer Christopher Morace.

http://m4.licdn.com/media/p/3/000/08b/1bc/129d551.jpgChris, what are the Top Trends in Social Business today?

Chris Morace: Social Business is at a very exciting stage of its maturity. It's becoming crystal clear that this is a massively disruptive solution touching the way we share knowledge, collaborate, find each other, make decisions, do work, and communicate within the enterprise. In many ways this is fantastic because the tools we've built over the last two decades haven't lived up to the job. They were built in a time that didn't even contemplate the volume and speed of information that needs to be processed in order to enable decision making and action in the modern enterprise.  They were designed around enabling organizations to optimize pre-determined process and control at the expense of agility. In this way, Social Business offers the most promise for a new and better way to work.

Recently, we have learned some things about what social needs to be great at in order to provide a solution that does not fail us like the previous generations of technology. The first is that Social Business Software must provide a way to effortlessly eliminate the noise and offer high value information based on context. This context can be everything from the knowledge of you based on a real time assessment of the social graph to the place you are or the type of work you are trying to do. Many vendors are mindlessly integrating into enterprise systems recreating the disastrous dead end that was email notifications and RSS readers. Initially, it was delightful to have information coming to you, but eventually the solution collapsed under its own weight. You can't ask a user to constantly manicure streams and manually adjust following models--it's too much overhead.

Systems are intelligent enough now to process information at scale, perform what they call big data analytics, and adapt intelligently and in a personalized way to a user. This is a massive investment for the providers of these solutions, but ultimately this is the heart and soul of social business. Having a system that mindlessly spins noise off into an activity stream does not make it social. Organizations are getting smart enough to understand the difference.

The second big learning is that a Social Business solution needs to touch and integrate into almost all aspects of the enterprise. The systems that contain content, the systems of record for critical business data, and the existing tools that enable productivity and communication.  The challenge here is that we can't approach this like we did in the past. We can't integrate into a system that breaks when one side upgrades and then the other side upgrades resulting in an endless dance of help desk tickets and IT projects.

On top of that we have this movement from the software systems of the past to the cloud driven services of the future. Most enterprises have not embraced the cloud yet in a meaningful way. Penetration and spend in the enterprise is still somewhere around 10%.  We must go to the systems that are being used by the enterprise today while still being mindful of the hundreds of new and exciting solutions being embraced each week.

The key here is to integrate in a way that is fluid with the way people use Social Business platforms to get their work done.  The content must stay in the systems that control access and compliance. The data must stay in the systems of record, but still be presented in a way that provides meaningful context. It sounds like an impossible task, but the solutions are in front of us.

Techniques that literally enable user driven and "no click" integration. Things like (Archived) Jive Apps Market which allow a user to pull another solution inside of Jive--not just UI, but also actions and the ability to contextually pull data that resides in other systems into social activities.  Tools like Jive Anywhere that ride along in the browser, can recognize other applications like Salesforce, SAP, or Oracle and pull in context from a social business platform, but can also recognize data from those systems that a user may want to discuss on a social platform. These types of approaches allow IT to still be in control and protect the business, but allow a user to immediately get work done and fluidly adapt to a changing application ecosystem within their enterprise. It's really exciting.

What do you think? Comment below with your reactions to Chris' post or share your own social business trend.

113643-vQeg2.pngJivers knows how to celebrate releases, especially ones that are this panda-licous. We're incredibly proud of innovations like !apps, Jive Anywhere, myriad user experience improvements, and perhaps most importantly, the fact that it's now so easy for anyone in the world to Try Jive.

We don't often show how a new release looks from the inside. As a taste of that, I wanted to post three of the "launch videos" that various teams created to celebrate the features they worked on. As a disclaimer, all the videos were made for an internal contest and with the expectation that they'd never be shown publicly... but I had to share some anyway.

!apps Launch

What if you could extend the amazing !apps experience to your whole life?

Jive (is) Anywhere

From Jive's Israel office, the power of bringing social to every web page and application.

Quality Team Launch

Just what does it from our quality team to bring a Jive release to market...?

When I joined Jive about 10 months ago, I had several interesting revelations. Having been in Silicon Valley for my entire career, I thought I was plugged in. I was at Intel and lent a hand to the creation of what is now Flash memory. As a member of the original Mac team at Apple, I learned about changing the world. I was CMO of one of the earliest tablet companies and most recently ran transformational technology startups as CEO. So I'd been around the block, as they say. But Jive was the biggest company I'd never heard of in the hottest market on earth. No awareness, but lots of blue-chip customers. It was weird.

I learned that Jive's customers were driving massive change in their organizations with the courage of early pioneers. They were bent on a mission to transform the way work gets done - and they were fervent in this objective. Fervent. Jive also had the most powerful technology, but the market was asking for something simpler and easier. Competitors seemed to think that if you gave away bite-sized social experiences, users would like them. But users found that those solutions wasted time instead of saving it.  And we all need more time. Jive, on the other hand, was focused on delivering proven results for the whole company at once and built a franchise for 700 key customers as a result.

I quickly became passionate about these areas of opportunity for Jive, and as a result was asked to lead a team of great colleagues from across the company to help me on this charge. We all took on night jobs (and in most cases day AND night jobs), so to speak, to transform much of what we do.

Why am I so proud? Jive launched a major innovation initiative, not only centered on accelerating the pace of our technology leadership in the social business market, but also in the way that we expand the value we deliver to customers.

Our launch has three major components:

• Immediate availability of our next-generation social business platform in Jive Cloud which drives more users and more usage, more of the time for proven business results. Ubiquitous.
  • Launch of Try Jive, a "one-click" free trial for new Jive users who want to experience social business and see how it applies to teams of 25 to 250,000. Simple & easy.
  • A change to the Jive brand as well as a major outbound marketing campaign to reach those team leaders who want Jive within the Global 10,000. Broad-based & friendly.

For more information on this news, read more here: Jive On! 

But you don't have to take our word for it. Check out this testimonial from HP's Trisha Liu:

I AM proud, because with this launch, we now have a fast on-ramp to the power of the Jive platform, making it simple; we've extending the platform to any employee in a company who uses web apps, mobile, Office, or Outlook technology, making it pervasive; we're making it available for free trial, allowing the power of our product speak for itself to teams of 25 and more; and we're communicating all of this through a new brand emphasizing the ubiquity that Jive's Social Business platform provides.

These initiatives were the result of tremendous work by our engineering, data center, product management, professional services, sales, and marketing teams.  While I'm the lucky one who's writing the blog post, I do so acknowledging and thanking all of Jive in this tremendous effort.

Now, I would like to hear from you. Please share your thoughts, ideas and questions in the comments below. What do you think of our new platform? How about Try Jive? How can Jive serve you better? What more can we do?

Thanks again for driving the New Way to Business through Jive, and we look forward to continuing, together, to change the way work gets done.

Tell me if you've heard this song:

I show how #socbiz can change us, I give them studies and tales.

That seems to make them happy, but it all grows somewhat stale.

I don't know what they need now, I can't say that I'm sure,

But executives seem bent on asking for so much more.

I got the measurement blues.

Everybody knows I got the blues.

If I could give them ROI,

My blues would turn into good news.

(Don't worry. I won't quit my day job.)

It's all about benchmarking.

You can't measure whether something is making a difference or not, unless you know what the thing looked like before you tried to make that difference. And yes, so much of what #socbiz can reduce, replace, improve, or make newly possible is considered "soft dollar," but that's not even half of your measurement story.

Here's one way to figure out what you need to benchmark before implementing your #socbiz project

Once you've figured out which groups of people or business processes you want to start with, ask these questions:

1. How do you measure your group or process today? Typically, a group or process is measured in a very concrete way. For example, sales and dealers measure individual productivity (how much revenue they generate in a given time period), win rate; call centers measure the cost of a customer phone call, customer satisfaction; marketing measures number of lead conversions, brand awareness levels, web site traffic; professional services measure project delivery time and quality; operations measures customer support costs, employee on-boarding costs, M&A on-boarding costs; this list goes on.

2. What is your hypothesis about how #socbiz will positively affect those metrics? This is where you create a vision for your stakeholders. For example, using #socbiz behaviors and technologies can decrease employee on-boarding time by 25%, decrease customer support calls by 28%, and increase employee satisfaction by 30%, according to some reports. Just taking a fraction of these reported improvements might be enough to warrant further examination and investment in your project.

3. What data must you gather to benchmark your hypothesis? If you're betting that #socbiz can significantly decrease the time it takes to on-board a new or newly acquired employee in a specific job function, such as sales rep, customer service rep, or engineer, then you'll need to gather some numbers, including: average base salary within a particular job function, and the current time it takes for a new employee in that function to achieve 100% productivity. Then, you'll need to know how many of those types of employees are hired within a given month or quarter. With this kind of data, you can apply formulas to calculate the potential value of your #socbiz hypothesis. Do this for a a few more use cases or hypotheses with buzz-worthy groups or processes, and you'll have the beginnings of a data-driven business case.

4. Which senior executives care about this? Now that you've the potential value of your #socbiz project, find a senior executive who cares about your hypothesis, and even more importantly, is tasked with improving what you've identified. For example, the SVP Sales will care about on-boarding new sales reps faster, because that can potentially lead to that rep closing more deals earlier. You might want to shop for critical business initiatives in your company's annual report, if you've got one.

For more helpful social business tips, register for the JiveLive Tour (http://bit.ly/HGkfN7)

I once worked with a client who... well... freaked out because they were overwhelmed with trying to figure out how to start their social business project. After we all calmed down, though, we started.

Starting is the most important step you'll take.

StartNow.png

Where did we start? With whatever was keeping them up at night. For them, this was trying to choose the right groups of end users to start with. Because, let's face it - however you start, that's how you continue. Those first users end up setting the tone and examples that others will follow.

Do you want #socbiz to be something folks do only when they have the time? (FYI: they'll never have the time.) Or, do you want it to be a critical part of how things get done inside/outside your organization?

Start with the right groups and processes.

Here's one way to figure out which groups or processes to start with.

Ask these questions:

1. Which groups or processes are "buzz-worthy"? These are those groups or processes that, when you're successful injecting social business behaviors into them, everyone else in your organization will notice and want some for themselves. The best places to look for these are in sales, call centers, R&D, engineering, consulting - basically, any group or process that ultimately makes the firm money, saves money, innovates faster, or satisfies customers better.

2. How do they do a particular process today, and what problems exist? This is when you want to document the "before shot" prior to doing your Social Business Extreme Makeover, if you will. You want to ask the people who know the process the best about how they find, connect, and collaborate with other people and content in order to enact that process, or, if it's a process they're not even doing yet, why it's important for them to do it going forward. You want to make a list of all the applications and events they use (hint: it'll likely be email, conference calls, instant messaging, and some knowledge management, collaboration or document management system). You'll also want to know what the problems are. For example, ask how long it takes customers, or sales reps, or customer service reps to get answers to questions; or how marketing finds and grows the number of brand ambassadors; or how inefficient collaboration with partners and customers is; or how many quality ideas are generated and refined by employees, partners and customers.

3. How would you do that process, using social business behaviors and technologies? This is where you need to first understand the capabilities of #socbiz software, and help your stakeholders understand the potential new way of doing things. They will have no idea what is possible, other than what they've experienced in public consumer social networks, which promote usage "when I have the time." You know better. If you're trying to change the way your organization works with #socbiz, then you need to focus on using it "because it's critical to how I do my work." For example, instead of emailing 3 people with a question, a sales rep can ask 3,000 by simply posting their question in your community - they'll likely get an answer faster from people they don't even know, and the community will vet the answer for correctness. You never get that in an email! Or, perhaps a customer can read questions and answers in your community, and never even need to call your call center. Maybe your employees, partners and customers can submit ideas and refine one another's concepts, vote them up or down, thus better prioritizing what your engineering team should focus on.

Once you get answers to these questions, you'll have a better idea of who to start your #socbiz project with to get early success.

For more helpful tips, sign-up for the JiveLive Tour, coming to a city near you!

Last night, I was having dinner with some folks in my social circle.  One of them exclaimed, "Good news! We FINALLY get to hire an internal community manager."  We all raised a glass to toast the victory. See, he had been battling to get a headcount to manage his social intranet for years.

Based on his struggle, I decided to develop the Top 10 Roles of an Internal Community Manager.

Now, for some huge Social Business software customers these will come as no surprise, but at smaller companies with more modest resources, an FTE might bust the budget. In these cases, carving out a partial responsibility and making it official reduces the danger of the social intranet becoming beloved in concept but largely shelf ware.

So, here’s the list of the Top 10 Internal Community Manager Roles they often juggle:

HiRes.jpg1. Ambassador. One of the biggest drivers of social business success is company culture. Community managers help form a successful company culture by being open, responsive, and strategic. 

2. Unifier. Community managers helps unite distributed leadership on the best practices for internal collaboration. 

3. Builder. Skilled managers focus on best ways to structure and design for interaction and engagement. They also stimulate conversation and have content plans until the community matures.

4. Coach. They are excellent at articulating how employees can use the new technology to accomplish real business objectives, without leaving their comfort zone (which often means their email inboxes). 

5. Cheerleader. Community managers often bust out the virtual pompoms.  They reward positive behavior. 

6. Leader. One of the most important jobs of the community manager is to identify effective volunteer advocates and facilitators for various units (marketing, sales, finance, R&D, manufacturing, etc.). Without these foot soldiers, the community will not take flight.

7. Game Maker.  No, I’m not referring to Panem! Community managers come up with awesome techniques to keep employees engaged and reward the most active contributors or the executives who “get it.”

8. Listener. Community managers understand better than anyone the “pulse” of the employee base.  They often can be the voice of the masses when it comes to marketing ideas, product features, etc. 

9. Governor. Community managers help develop and enforce social media guidelines.

10. Analyzer. Successful community managers can help point to real business value (ie. Employee satisfaction, productivity improvements, increase in sales, etc).  They can also do predictive modeling based on sentiment, help find the true expert in a given area, and understand valuable enterprise relationships.

I want to hear from theInternal Communities, What’s the biggest value you bring to your organization?

cc: The specified item was not found.

Socializing SharePoint

Posted by oudi.antebi Apr 11, 2012
Jive in SharePoint

SharePoint has been considered the de-facto platform for enterprise intranets and document management for close to a decade. SharePoint has allowed companies to build a combination of managed pages for the organization such as the main landing page of the intranet, official pages for HR, Sales and all other departments in the organization.

SharePoint has also allowed teams to create their team’s intranet sites where they could share documents and content for the entire team to consume.

In many organizations SharePoint equals Intranet.SharePoint Screenshot-2.png

I had the honor to be part of the SharePoint product team for several years while I worked for Microsoft and must admit it was exciting to see this product thrive.

The biggest challenge SharePoint is facing today is user engagement. While it is the place to go to consume data, it has not managed to become the place where people engage. Engagement in my view is when you spend more than 1 minute on a page where all you do is try to find and download a file. Engagement is where you actually do proactive collaboration, discussion, share ideas and comment on other people’s ideas.

So when we joined Jive right after the OffiSync acquisition, my team and I decided to take on a project where we would make the intranet a more engaging solution for the enterprise, fully realizing that a big part of realizing this vision would be to make SharePoint a more engaging platform. The main tool at our disposal as new Jivers was of course the Jive platform. So we embarked on this journey to take a social platform and combine it with the best of SharePoint and through that deliver a new kind of Intranet, an engaging one.

So what did we do? We take any existing SharePoint site and inject Social engaging capabilities in it. Every document can now be discussed, calendar items can be socialized, shared, discussed and liked, every site has an engaging micro-blogging capabilities that let people share ideas and comment on others.

What I’m mostly proud of is the fact that I believe we have something special here, something that will let customers keep SharePoint if they wish to do so, make that the de-facto document management system, keep that as the intranet platform, yet make it engaging, make it a destination where users will spend most of their time to collaborate, share and express themselves.

Can’t wait to get this to the hands of users, I know they will love it. I am also thinking about all the IT folks that run SharePoint with whom I’ve engaged over the years trying to find ways to make SharePoint really become the main collaboration platform and widely adopted. I’m sure it will be a fun ride and a fun way to make SharePoint great.

What's your take? What has your experience with SharePoint been like? Is it currently your intranet? Are you trying to socialize it?

When something doesn’t work at home, you might complain on Twitter or use your smartphone to report the problem. Or you’ll search for a solution on-line and fix the problem yourself.

But what do you do at work? Probably nothing.

At most companies, it’s simply too hard to fix small things. Every department has their own portal and their own number to call. It’s not nearly convenient enough, so you just live with the problem or leave it for the next person. And dissatisfaction and disengagement multiplies.

There’s a better way. And it may be more important than you think.

The Broken Windows theory

In 1982, two sociologists wrote an article that said, in essence, small breakdowns in a society, left untended, lead to bigger breakdowns.

“Consider a building with a few broken windows. If the windows are not repaired, the tendency is for vandals to break a few more windows. Eventually, they may even break into the building, and if it's unoccupied, perhaps become squatters or light fires inside. Or consider a sidewalk. Some litter accumulates. Soon, more litter accumulates. Eventually, people even start leaving bags of trash from take-out restaurants there or breaking into cars.”

One of the authors subsequently worked as a consultant to the NYC Transit Authority in the late 1980s, when they started to target graffiti and minor violations. Later, he influenced the Police Department, leading to NYC’s  “zero tolerance” and “quality of life” strategies that are widely seen to have significantly reduced both petty and serious crime.

Broken windows at work

While the debate continues about causation and correlation, most people agree that the Broken Windows theory matters because social cues matter. That is, “individuals look for signals within the environment as to the social norms in the setting and...one of those signals is the area's general appearance.”

What are the equivalents of graffiti and broken windows at work?

They're the broken speakerphone and missing network adapter in the conference room. The leaking sink and mis-set clock. The empty vending machine and the dirty pantry.

It’s an endless list of little things, typically in shared spaces, that are big enough to irritate someone but not so big that they’ll do much to report it or put much effort into fixing it themselves.

Those seemingly little issues add up to a culture where it’s okay for things not to work. And quality and productivity suffer as a result.

3 ways to modernize employee service

Improving customer support is a classic use case for social tools and practices. It’s not often applied inside the firm, but it could be. Here are 3 ways to improve service for employees.

Make it easy to report issues - and for service providers to engage: instead of every department having their own way to report a problem, social platforms let anyone post a simple complaint from their iPhone, iPad, or desktop. Those same platforms make it easy for the right people to listen, engage the person complaining, and fix the problem more quickly - all in a way that everyone else can observe. (Here's a recent example from BofA's customer service on Twitter.)

Let people help themselves: the internal helpdesks at your firm - from HR to IT to facilities - are anachronisms and almost pure waste. Each one consults their own knowledge base to handle endless phone calls and emails, largely the same questions over and over. Using a single collaboration platform instead boosts self-service by providing a universal set of on-line forums. That makes it easy for anyone to search for answers, provide feedback on the results, or ask their own questions.

Let people help each other: When the problem can’t be readily solved by a forum or by a service provider, it can be usually be solved if you find the right person. Here's where on-line, role-based communities are extremely valuable. They make it easy to get your question in front of relevant people and to identify experts on specific topics.

“Doesn’t anybody care?”

We have all of this at home. (We don't call the Google helpdesk. And, increasingly, even municipal governments are adopting social tools and practices to improve service.) We can and should have better service at work, too, because it’s better for the employees and better for the firm.

Responsive service inside the firm sets cues for the rest of the organization and shapes  the culture. It says:

“We care about our workplace. We care about our employees. We care about the quality of our products and the service we provide for our customers.”

Last week I talked to three separate prospects that rely on memos to communicate to employees. Yes, memos. All three embarrasingly mentioned how they actually use the didn't-you-get-the-memo joke.

What's more is that all three companies have big investments in SharePoint. But despite a few solid use cases where SharePoint helps manage high-maintenance documents, most Team Sites were fragmented wastelands avoided by most business users. I asked, "How do people find the information and experts they need to get their jobs done?" The common response: "There's no one, easy way to do it. It takes forever. Some people blast out emails, others pick up the phone. Whatever people do, they figure something out, but it's painful and doesn't scale. We end up reinventing the wheel and waste tons of time."

I can go on detailing painful details, but you get the picture. Traditional intranets, by and large, are failures. In many cases, then, people resort to email, and though email is good at sending a message to a colleague, it's awful for broad collaboration.

Sound familiar? Does your company rely on emailed memos? Is your intranet a soul-sucking wasteland? There's got to be a better way, right? As Director of Product Marketing at Jive, I'm tremendously biased =o) but there is a better way. And it's a proven way. We have myriad customers that use Jive to power their social intranet. But rather than read from a biased marketer, check out what we've learned, and what our customers have learned by grabbing our social intranet toolkit here. We'll also be kicking off a ten-part social intranet blog series where you can learn more about the Social Intranet directly from Jive experts, customers, and partners and experts.

What about your traditional intranet? What horror stories do you have? Are you still sending memos?

(click for larger view, or download in the attachments)

http://www.jivesoftware.com/files/images/infographics/Social-Intranet-Infographic.jpg

What's that you say?

I can speak at JiveWorld12?  That's right!  .... You too can follow in the foot steps of people like:

Steven Bamberger Mark Brundage Heather Burks Jorge Camargo Sarah Carter Nick Crawford Kevin Crossman Patrick Darling Kim England Krissy Espindola Claire Flanagan Heather Foeh Karen Gettman Mary Hamilton Rachel Heskin Ted Hopton Jem Janik Brice Jewell Chad Jones Brooks Jordan Kevin Joyce Thomas Kallstenius Laura Kelso dkibbey@newark.com Tristan Kime Scott Lawley Trisha Liu Gary Lungarini Tracy Maurer todd.miller jeanne Eric Nielsen Maria Pinchevsky Robert Reti  Jon-Michael Richardson jen schultz Peter Simonsen John Stepper John Summers Daryll Swager Heather Tortorelli Andy Wang ... and that's just to name a "few"! =)

So how does it work? 

Wire transfers to a stranded Nigerian dignitary, tedious magazine subscription promotions, or a first born child perhaps?  No. (we tried those, they didn't work j/k). 

Instead, all you have to do is visit:  JiveWorld12 - Speakers and let us know what topics you'd like to present.  That's it!

Obligatory fine-print:  All submissions will be reviewed, and speakers will be notified in early May.

Sounds great, but what should I talk about?

For starters, we recommend that you talk about you!  But to kick start your mind, here are some thoughts to consider:

• How did you come to embrace social business?
  • What was your journey like?
  • What obstacles did you overcome?  How did you overcome them?
  • Last but not least, what role did Jive play in this journey?

JiveWorld is a conference for the customer, by the customer.

Customers want to hear from you.  Your lessons learned, successes, and failures all make great topics!

Topics that are historically in high demand include:

The specified item was not found., The specified item was not found., The specified item was not found., The specified item was not found., Plugin Developer

Also, if you have questions, feel free to reach out to the Jive Community and ask past speakers about their experience(s).  A "few" have been listed above. =)

Hope to see your submissions soon, and look forward to inducting some new members into the JiveWorld Customer Speakers Club.

Note: There isn't a club "per say", but there is a secret handshake!  Am I kidding?  Submit your topic(s), and find out.

As popular as the term "social business" is in the industry today, there are still significant gaps in clarity about what it actually means.  Case in point:  Social Business, as defined by Wikipedia, is a:

... non-loss, non-dividend company designed to address a social objective within the highly regulated marketplace of today ...

This article is about a business with a social objective. For organization designed around social tools, social media, and social networks, see Social media.

Strange. In my life, I can hardly remember looking for something on Wikipedia and not finding it.  My hard copy 1984 World Book encyclopedia, that's  a different story.  Granted, it points me to "social media." which I feel covers aspects of "social business," but is in my opinion, nowhere near comprehensive.  So I started to think, the problem has to be one of two scenarios:

1. My definition of "social business" does not exist, is made-up, or may even be imaginary. (Yet Bigfoot and Bunyip appear to make the cut?  Note: Check CraigsList for pet griffin), or ...
  2. Wikipedia needs a correction, and I should finally sign up and share my 2.5 cents.

So before I get too carried away, I felt compelled to share my take on "social business."  To do so, I have assembled an evolutionary framework that illustrates how "social business" and perhaps "social media" can have such varied interpretations.  Goal:  To better articulate the "social business" landscape for companies looking to define/refine social adoption.

Social Business Evolution Portfolio
Display social business evolutionary progress.

10 Stages of Social Business Evolution

1. Self Enablement
    Productivity driven by "the one"
  2. Team Enablement
    Productivity driven by "the few"
  3. Social Intranet
    Productivity available to "the many"
  4. Ubiquitous Access
    Productivity "anywhere" and "any time"
  5. Customer Engagement
    Integrated productivity and coordination with Customers
  6. Partner Enablement
    Integrated productivity and coordination with Partners
  7. Hybrid Enablement
    Integrated team productivity across Employees, Customers, and Partners
  8. Enterprise Enablement
    Integrated productivity and coordination with foundational Enterprise Systems
  9. Social Awareness
    Monitoring en masse, reacting in time, and engaging relevantly at scale
  10. Social Process Management
    Established social indicators driving foundational business processes (*see below)

In social business, much like evolution, few paths or destinations are identical. This is in part due to unique business models, but more so to the fact that social business evolution is not always linear. In many cases there are logical progressions, such as: Self Enablement to Team Enablement to Social Intranet; however, there are multiple points of entry for social business, and each journey can be influenced by numerous factors, such as industry exposure, business need, and/or available resources. Still, some of these "stages" may not even be relevant to a company, thus creating yet another permutation. The result? A Darwinian marketplace filled with varied perceptions and realities of social business sophistication and status. And of course, a link on Wikipedia that started this article.

What stage(s) are you most interested in?

What stage(s) are you currently adopting?

Did this help YOUR perception of "social business"? Perhaps influence your definition? 

If so, you may find the Social Business Evolution Portfolio (above) helpful in not only visualizing your destination, but also communicating progress to stakeholders.

Note:  If you like this evolutionary framework, I have attached a worksheet pre-configured to generate this chart.

Most important: Should I sign-up for Wikipedia and share my thoughts? =)

* Beyond the organic lessons learned in the previous 9 stages, "Social Process Management"  involves the onset of social data analytics, establishing key performance indicators (KPI), and instrumenting an organization to react (if needed).  For example, much like the way the federal funds rate and prime rate influence credit card rates, Social Process Management would look to KPIs for proven correlations and automate behaviors and process to ensure timely and appropriate reaction.  Practical applications can range dramatically between portfolios; however, here are some common themes I have already seen in primitive form:

• Monitoring trends of key social topics for competitor footprint, and publishing ready-made content into social channels to reclaim the conversation. (a.k.a. low-touch newsjacking)
  • Monitoring aggregate conversation sentiment in external channels regarding products, and initiating conversation of product owner(s), management, and engineering on the social intranet to formulate a timely and relevant response.
  • Monitoring aggregate conversation sentiment in external channels to time releases of product promotions and corresponding marketing efforts

This is the primary reason Social Process Management is the last stage of Social Business evolution, as it should be based off actual results from your social business portfolio, not a hypothetical one.

** Productivity (as used in this post) infers enabling efficient execution of efforts that promote or add "positive value" to the business.

Social customer service in a nutshell

You have a question, another person has the answer. You learn from the answer and share what you've learned with others. Everyone benefits from everyone else's efforts. Now contrast that with the fragmented systems, the barriers to communication, and duplicated effort that typify traditional customer service processes.  It becomes a journey just to get to an answer that may lie with your colleagues, just feet (or meters) away.

I've learned a lot from our customers over the last 5 years. I've seen the difficulties customer service teams face when handling questions - first hand.  I know how those pain points can be reduced or removed by social solutions through frictionless information flow and sharing. And I've found that every customer service team needs metrics to measure value and promote further investment once the honeymoon period of 'new software' is over.

So how exactly does traditional customer service go wrong? And how does social customer service provide a better way? I helped put together the following infographic to show the impact of a complete social customer service solution, backed up by results from our customers.

You can learn more by grabbing our customer service toolkit here: Customer Service Solution Toolkit - Jive Social Business Software

And be sure to register for the upcoming customer service webinar here:  http://www.jivesoftware.com/events/webcast/register-accenture-thinkjar

(click for larger view, or download in the attachments)

http://www.jivesoftware.com/files/pdf/infographic/Customer-Service-Infographic.png

*Results may vary based extent of hydra infestation.

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.30.09 AM.pngYesterday was Super Tuesday in the United States.  It was almost exciting as the Superbowl in my house.  Throughout college, I worked for a state senator and then started my professional career off in public affairs.  For 24 hours, I was glued to the results of the Republican presidential primary.

I was especially excited to see the social statistics on this important day because as William Powers of Bluefin Labs stated, "social media is the frontier of democracy."

Even if you aren't a social media geek like me, it was impossible to login to Twitter, Facebook or even Instagram and not get overwhelmed by the amount of social buzz surrounding the candidates.  So I decided to setup a monitor using Jive Fathom Pro (which thanks to our community manager Ryan Rutan you can now download the app on the Jive Community), to see who generated the most social buzz.  I wanted to keep my sources small, so I just looked at Facebook and Twitter updates.

Official Results

Before I share the social stats, let's look at the official results:

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.14.49 AM.png

Social Mentions

As you can see above, all of the candidates failed to break out from the pack.  This was not the case for social.  Rick Santorum was the clear front runner, with Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich tied for second, and Ron Paul coming in last in terms of overall social mentions.

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.20.58 AM.png

Sentiment

However, pure mentions, weren't enough for me to analyze.  I also wanted to see general sentiment score. In Fathom the scale is from -100 to 100, negative to positive.  The data below shows that while Santorum had more mentions he had less positive tweets and status updates than the other candidates.

• Romney: 9.88
  • Gingrich: 9.88
  • Paul: 9.63
  • Santorum: 7.13

Conversations

Since social is more than just numbers and data, here is a collection of some of the more interesting updates. (NOTE: I'm not taking sides, just pointing out some interesting conversations).

From the Candidates:

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.47.49 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.48.21 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.49.18 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.51.38 AM.png

From the General Public:

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.54.11 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.00.46 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.55.13 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.58.01 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.05.14 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.06.30 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.08.31 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 11.11.40 AM.png

We've Already Moved On...

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 10.57.23 AM.png

Did you do anything special for Super Tuesday on social media sites?

To explore this question further, I sat down with Tim Zonca Jive's Director of Product Marketing.

Q: Are companies really replacing their intranets with social business technologies?

In a recent conversation with an industry analyst, he interjected, "You keep using the word 'intranet' as you talk about using social business for internal collaboration. Do people really use Jive as their intranet?"  My response: you bet they do. Our customers have been using Jive to connect employees at some of the largest organizations on the planet. For example, Yum! Brands, the world's largest restaurant company, uses our products to foster unity and creativity in the business units in 110 countries. They have found that global collaboration has sparked innovation, saving critical time and money.

Q. What business challenges is the social intranet trying to solve?

Whether you want to replace your intranet, or just give it a facelift by adding a social layer, you need to figure out why. And "better collaboration" isn't a clear enough reason.

If you don't know what problems you're trying to solve, you'll end up underwhelming and confusing your execs, chasing pointless integrations, distilling a massive vendor list, and wasting time. (Check out this great post from John Stepper on the topic: When your audience says: “No time. No money. No thanks.”)

Regardless the industry, I've seen our customers deliver a social intranet to address these main challenges. They want to:

1. Give employees a way to find the information and experts needed to get their jobs done faster, better.

2. Foster a culture of innovation and shorten the time required to take new ideas to market and to implement new ideas within the company.

3. Reduce the costs associated with keeping employees informed, aligned and trained.

Q. Specifically, how does the social intranet help improve internal communication?

I see our customers solve these collaboration problems across a few broad areas of collaboration:

1. Corporate communications: The top-down dissemination of information across the company. This can come in the flavor of communications from execs and HR, career development & training initiatives, and communications steering organizational alignment.

2. Cross-department, cross-organization collaboration: This is the type of collaboration that spurs innovation and connects people to the information and experts, outside of their team, that will help them get their jobs done better, faster.

3. Team, department collaboration: Working better as a team, for example marketing coordinating product launch activities, sales teams working around opportunities, R&D collaborating on product development, support solving customer issues.

Q. Show me the results.  How do we know this is successful?

Don't forget why its important to solve these challenges: Value.  According to Social Business Value Survey results, by using social technologies, Jive customers see a 32% increase in ideas generated and 25% decrease in onboarding time.

Q. What else is important to understand about social intranets?

It is important to have integrations with key intranet technologies and back-end systems. Providing rich integrations with common systems and apps like SharePoint, Office, Outlook, along with a powerful integration layer for custom integrations should be assumed as givens for any social intranet platform. Likewise, a great mobile experience for workers is critical for effective internal collaboration.

Q. What's the #1 thing people exploring intranets should takeaway?

Overall, I think social intranets empower end users to collaborate more efficiently, and inevitability helping solve key business challenges.

What's your take? Are you trying to address these challenges? Is your current intranet cutting it? Where do you think social business technology can help most?

Filter Blog

By date: By tag: