Bridging the Gap: Jive + Office 365
In the Jive fall 2014 release, we are extending Jive's Communication and Collaboration Hub capabilities by introducing the long awaited Office 365 and SharePoint online integration that helps customers bridge the gap between
on-premise and cloud Microsoft applications. The new features cover three product areas:
- Jive Connector for Office Online eliminates the hurdle of working in Office documents, spreadsheets and presentations across on-premise and cloud versions. You can now co-author Office 365 files directly from Jive or bring Jive to Office 365, across any device or operating system. With the addition of Jive's popular impact metrics feature, you can also analyze the reach and sentiment of Office 365 documents to optimize the effectiveness of your communication.
- Jive Connector for Outlook Online brings relevant Jive content and conversations into Outlook email threads for easy reference, while enabling the conversion of emails to Jive discussions. View and reply to conversations directly in Outlook Online, while applying structured outcomes. And because it's all browser-based, you can work across any device and operating system, including Mac OS.
- Jive Connector for SharePoint Online (also known as O365 Sites and OneDrive for Business) enables files to be stored in OneDrive for Business while still being accessible in Jive. Leveraging our External Storage Framework means that documents stored in OneDrive for Business are visible in Jive. This makes it easier to find your documents using Jive's social search capabilities, and users can easily collaborate as well as track the reach and impact of their documents.
What it is
Jive's Communication and Collaboration Hub
|Jive Connector for Outlook|
|Jive Connector for Office|
|Jive Connector for SharePoint Online (aka OneDrive for Business)|
Walk-through & How To
Jive + Office 365 Outlook Web App
To use the new Jive for Office 365 Outlook web App, do the following:
- Make sure all your desired users have O365 accounts
- Install Jive Anywhere 2.3 on the browser of your choice and connect it to your Jive Cloud instance featuring the latest Fall 2014 release
- Install the Jive Anywhere cartridge for Mail Online via your Jive Admin console. Don't have the cartridge and already have a current Jive for Outlook license? Contact support to get it ASAP.
Jive + Office 365 Documents / SharePoint Online
Using the Office 365 web document integration in the Jive 2014 Fall release, requires that the documents be stored in SharePoint Online which also serves them as web documents. In order for the Office 365 experience to be available for users creating and connecting Jive groups - a Jive admin needs to install the Office 365 & SharePoint Online Add-on.
Frequently Asked Questions
|What version of Jive is supported with the new O365 connector ?||The new Office 365 and SharePoint Online connectors are released with the Jive 2014 Fall cloud release. I is planned to be supported in Jive 8 for Hosted and on-Prem deployments|
|What components are necessary to enable the integration ?||The new integration is powered by several Jive frameworks and technologies including External storage framework (ESF) and Jive Anywhere (JA). The integration is packaged in a Jive Add-on that distributes and installs the necessary components.|
|Can we connect Spaces and projects too ?||In this first release, only Jive groups can be connected to SharePoint Online. Future versions will support spaces and projects.|
|Can I use Mail Online if some of my users still use outlook desktop client ?||Office 365 Mail web app is powered by a cloud Exchange server that may also support Outlook desktop clients. Specific considerations to a hybrid usage should be verified with the Microsoft documentation|
|Can we use the existing SharePoint connected in parallel to the new SharePoint online connector ?||The two connectors are packaged in separate Add-Ons and may be used concurrently, however not in the same Jive groups.|