2016.1 was released earlier this year and here below is a sneak peek of all the Jive-n product strides we made with that release. Many of these features apply to external (Jive-x) communities as well, but here is a dedicated Jive-x sneak peek post.
Content that speaks to you
Jive is where the workforce of our customers get their work done, day in and day out. How they experience their Jive work-hub is extremely critical our customers and hence is top of mind for us. A great user experience is what drives adoption, it is what enables productivity, it is what employees start associating their company's brands with. With the 2016.1 release, we focused on making all our core content types look more beautiful, be more mobile optimized and put a spotlight on the most important functionality.
Visually appealing blog posts that delight the viewer at first glance. One change you will instantly notice is the eye-catching banner image on top. This image will also be the primary photo that shows up as the post appears in news streams, daily, and digest emails.
We also switched to a fixed width column formatting which ensures high readability and same look-and-feel irrespective of screen resolution.
Ideas and Polls
Ideas content type is structured so as to instantly give you the essence of the what the idea suggestion is about and how popular it is. Polls have a similarly re-designed look as well.
Events and Calendars
Corporate calendars are a key piece of a company's digital workhub. It enables sharing of company events, holidays, tradeshows, launch dates and more easily without needing to send out company-wide emails. With this release, our events and calendaring is getting layered on with some really compelling functionality.
- Events can now be color coded to be able to visibly distinguish between different event types. When you browse through the Jive calendar, it will now show the at-a-glance view of the various events, along with a legend on their color codes. This has been a feature request from many you, and we hope you as thrilled about this new feature as we are.
- Employee profile avatars show up under "Going", "Not Going" tabs of the event pages so you can get an at-a-glance view into who is attending.
- We have also made numerous minor improvements such as the ability to filter events by tags. And the entire experience is completely responsive on any mobile device.
Images, Image Collections & Videos
Happy hours, company offsites, conferences and team events generate tons of memorable photos and videos that typically get posted and stored on intranets. These create a sense of community and belonging amongst employees. There are tons of other kinds of imagery and video that might reside in an intranet such as brand images and training/how-to videos. Photos and videos are such critical content types for engaging, informing and supporting your employees. Needless to say, images, image collections and videos are a major part of our content type revamp efforts with this release.
- Our newly enhanced image browsing experience enables users to experience graphics in a beautiful, engaging and information-rich manner. If the image is part of a collection, you can also move to the next or previous image in the collection with mouse or keyboard arrows.
- User will now have the ability to group graphics chronologically or thematically related so as to tell a visual story. Our enhanced filtering and sorting capabilities, combined with dynamic collection creation functionality makes this effortless. In other words, you have the ability to view and save collections of images and videos based on categories, tags, and more.
- You can also share these collections with a person or group, to tell a story, motivate and inspire others, use them for educational or research purposes, or communicate information related to a physical environment you are working on such as an exhibit, construction site, or streetscape.
Documents, Discussions & More
Discussions, documents, questions, files and all other content types have been enhanced as well, so as to have a consistent visual structure across all content types.
Behind a Feature Toggle
To ensure we are giving your community ample time to prepare for these changes, we have placed all of the above content type changes behind a feature toggle. In other words, they are not activated by default for existing customers - community admins would need to explicitly toggle it on for these changes to show up.
By definition, Feature Toggles are temporary configuration settings for specific features that give our cloud customers time to understand large changes and plan their own roll out of the feature. Typically we keep a specific feature behind a toggle for not more than one cloud release, but your feedback about these features is highly important to us so that we can make changes or extend the toggle functionality, if needed.
Jive Daily - the intranet is now in your pocket
With this release, we are have made such vast improvements with the Jive Daily mobile app, that it is now the mobile app for Jive-n cloud. Search, create, edit, comment, share, browse, vote – all on the go. It will come pre-installed with the release of 2016.1 - no need for installing any add-on and no need for any configurations! Preview customers, however, will still need the add-on prior to the release (seeJive Daily Add-on Steps in Jive-n).
Jive Daily is currently only available for cloud customers. On-prem and hosted customers can continue using the Jive Mobile v3/v4 as always.
Our other workstyle apps, Chime and Circle got a lot of love as well. Jive Chime now has groups, file sharing, and search. Jive Circle now has a redesigned home tab with focus on your day, enhanced logic for surfacing search results and more.
Lesser friction, Fewer clicks
One of the most effective ways to boost employee productivity is simply by reducing the number of clicks they need to get to key information or to make updates. Which is why Jive continues to actively design and manage the core experiences related more effective and thoughtful information rendering. With this release, we have some fresh design elements that brings more information upfront - whether you are searching for something specific or casually browsing your activity streams.
Your company's content resides across multiple storage locations and communities. Many times, when you are searching for a specific content, you don't know where exactly it resides which is why it is natural to expect your search functionality to work across your content communities. Jive has now implemented the Open Search specification which allows you to show preview results from external sources on your main Jive search page. If you have specific external content communities (such as a OneDrive storage location or your jive-x community), you can create a bridge to that community so content from those locations are also included in your Jive search, intermixed with the Jive results.
Intelligent Activity Streams
- Activity indicators per stream highlight new activity since you last visited
Note that the activity indicator functionality is also toggled off by default but you can request to have it enabled.
- See most active content per stream since you last visited
- Email digests now available for Inbox and specific streams
Bulk Content Management
Findability of content in a community relies heavily on how it is organized, structured and tagged. Social group owners, space owners, and people with 'Manage Community' permissions can now bulk manage content to add tags, categories, move, delete. You'll find the "Bulk manage content" link under the Content tab for the places you have Administrator access. Note that bulk management can only be done at the place level.
In sections above, you read about how we revamped our video content type. The creation and consumption of videos - both in the consumer word and also within enterprises - is at an all-time high and still surging. So in-spite of its complexity as a content type, there is the rising expectation that creating, managing and working with videos be as seamless, intuitive, fast as text-based or image-based content types. This release brings with it some serious investments in this area:
- You can now download videos! - so you can watch these downloaded videos during your travel or when you don't have an internet connection.
- You can not only create a video (Create -> Video), you can also update these videos directly in your Jive video document.
- We have removed the Flash dependency - you no longer require Flash to create a video.
- You can now embed videos from hundreds of third-party sources (e.g. Wistia) directly in the content editor.
Many more video goodies that you will hear about in upcoming deep dive blog posts.
Celebrate your co-worker; watch engagement soar
According to Towers Watson, a leading global human resource consulting firm, effectively recognizing performance can increase employee engagement by almost 60%. Peer-to-peer recognition is one of the most valuable forms of appreciation at the workplace that motivates employees and builds emotional connection to the workplace and peers. With this release of Jive cloud, employees can now recognize their peers and celebrate everyday accomplishments in a simple, fun and meaningful manner!
Peer Recognition Badge
An employee can send a quick appreciation to another employee with the new peer recognition badge functionality. Whether an employee got promoted, was being super supportive and helpful, did a great job at a presentation or was being awesome in some other way, their peers and managers can show their appreciation by presenting them with a badge.
User badges show as content that can be liked, shared, commented-on and can even become trending. Also, every employee will have access to their recognition history. In addition, we also have many enhancements to leaderboards, rewards, and quest reports. More on that coming soon, in as part of our deep dive posts.
Measuring Employee Engagement
Better employee engagement directly translates to more participation and contribution to the employee community. We have 3 new engagement reports with this release that help you measure these consumption, participation and contribution rates.
- Participation ladder for Active Users which shows community engagement by how many active members belong to each of three tiers: consumer, participant, and contributor.
- Engagement Index by User type which can be used to measure how engaged different user types are in the community.
- Daily Active Users (DAU) / Monthly Active Users (MAU) chart measures the depth of engagement and stickiness of your Jive community. A 50% DAU/MAU means that on average active members are returning 50% of a given month (or 15 out of 30 calendar days)
Communicate with your global employees in the language of their choice
Being a globally dispersed company means being able to support different languages. You want to get your company news across different teams and enable your worldwide employees to collaborate. With 2016.1 cloud release, we're adding the ability to consume and read content in the language of your choice. With one click, users will be able to translate content and comments, leveraging the most common translation services currently existing.
We are incredibly excited about this release and everything that it brings to our customers. As always, we are eager for your thoughts, comments and feedback, so please let us know what you think.