Product name: Jive for iOS 3.0
- Jive 6.0.3+, Jive 7, Jive Cloud
- iOS 6.0 or later
Release Date: November 15, 2013
Overview: The Jive 3.0 iOS app has been completely redesigned and rebuilt to provide a richer, more responsive Jive experience on both the iPhone and the iPad. This is the only version of the Jive iOS app that is supported for Jive 7.0 and Jive Cloud; it is also compatible with Jive 6.0.3+.
The Jive 3.0 iOS app features a completely redesigned UI that runs natively on both iPhone and iPads, with many improvements and new features, including:
- A rich, full-featured iPad user experience, designed specifically for iPad
- Create and edit status updates, documents, blog posts, discussions, videos
- Content creation and editing provides tools for rich formatting and inline images
- @mention content and places in addition to people
- Redesigned search, including compound filtering of search parameters (filters available on iPad only)
A more complete list of feature differences is available here: Jive Mobile Product Comparison Matrix
- Security/Authentication: For more detailed security information, please see: https://community.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-102698
- The Jive Mobile Gateway no longer proxies traffic: This version of the app does not use the Jive Mobile Gateway as a proxy to your Jive installation. Mobile devices running Jive 3.0 for iOS must be able to connect to the Jive installation directly. Depending on the network enviornment, this could mean connecting through a VPN, MDM, or other proxy.
- Authentication method changes:
- Added support for web-based SAML SSO. The app will detect when standard SAML SSO is enabled and provides an embedded web browser view to authenticate to the SSO. If no SSO is configured, the app will fall back to username/password-based authentication. Note that mobile devices must be able to access to the sign-in page (IdP).
- Removed mobile device registration. Authentication via mobile device registration/activation (with or without passcodes) is no longer supported. We recommend using an MDM for greater device security.
- Added support for MDMs and internal enterprise distribution: On request, Jive will provide binaries that can be wrapped and distributed internally using an MDM solution such as Good Dynamics or MobileIron. Please contact your Jive account manager for more information.
- Jive Version Compatibility
- Jive 7.0 & Jive Cloud: Jive 3.0 for iOS is the only version of the iOS app that is supported with Jive 7.0 and Jive Cloud. See Upgrading to Jive Cloud: Changes to Mobile Access for more details.
- Jive 6.0: The app is compatible with Jive 6.0.3+. It is an optional upgrade for Jive 6 communities. See Jive 6 and Mobile 3 Upgrade Information for more details.
- The app can be downloaded from the App Store: Jive Software on the App Store on iTunes
- Upgrade and installation details vary depending on which Jive versions you are upgrading from and to. Please refer to the appropriate document for your situation:
- Why is the Mobile Gateway no longer used? With earlier versions of the iOS app, the Mobile Gateway proxied traffic to the Jive instance. This allowed some simplifications for basic network access controls, but severely limited the options for customers seeking to implement a more standardized mobile device access control strategy.
- How does the web SSO integration work? After successful authentication via web SSO, the Jive mobile client saves the session cookies used to identify the user's session, and uses them to request Jive data the same way a web browser would. When the user logs out of the app by tapping the logout button in the Settings menu, the cookie is destroyed.
- How will end users be notified of the new Jive 3.0 app?
- On Jive 7.0 and Jive Cloud:
- Existing users of the Jive Mobile 2.x app for iPhone will be prompted to install the 3.0 app if they try to connect to a Jive 7.0 or Jive Cloud community with the 2.x app. This feature can be disabled by opening a case with Jive Support.
- Users of the iOS web browser who open a Jive link on a mobile-enabled Jive Cloud or Jive 7.0 community ("Employee" license only) will see a prompt allowing them to either continue to the web browser or open the install in the Jive 3.0 app. This prompt can be disabled.
- No prompt is shown for Jive 6 communities, but it can be enabled for any mobile-enabled Jive 6 community by opening a case with Jive Support.
- On Jive 7.0 and Jive Cloud:
- We haven't approved the 3.0 app for use internally. Is it possible to prevent access from the Jive 3.0 iOS app? Yes, if you are running Jive 126.96.36.199+ or Jive 7.0+. Set the system property jive.mobile.nativeapp.allowed to false. This will cause the App Store-distributed version of the app to refuse to connect to the community.
- Is there an equivalent app for Android? Not yet, but it is under development. On Jive 6 communities, Android users can continue to use the existing Jive Mobile 1.x app. For Jive 7 and Jive Cloud, we recommend mobile web as the interim solution for Android users.