Jive Cloud 2013 Fall release incorporates Mobile 3, which results in a number of important changes to mobile access.
This document is intended to help Jive 4.5, Jive 5, or Jive 6 customers who are planning an upgrade to Jive Cloud understand the changes in mobile access that are part of this upgrade.
The table below describes the components of Mobile 3 compared to the previous Mobile 2 architecture. For a more detailed comparison of features, please see Jive Mobile Product Comparison Matrix.
|Mobile 3||Mobile 2|
|Compatible Jive Versions|
Jive 6, Jive 7, Jive Cloud
Jive 4.5.6+, Jive 5, Jive 6
|Mobile Admin Plugin|
integrated with Jive Cloud installation
separate download & install
(mobile-specific web interface)
mobile browsers connect to <Jive URL>/mobile/
served from Jive Mobile Gateway; mobile browsers connect to <mobile hostname>.jive-mobile.com
|Native iOS App|
Jive 3.0 for iOS - runs on both iPhone & iPad
Jive Mobile 2.x for iPhone - iPhone only
|Native Android App|
Jive 3.0 for Android - not yet released
Jive Mobile 1.x for Android
* Mobile Web refers to the mobile-specific web interface enabled by the mobile module. It does not refer to using the full Jive web interface from a mobile browser. Support for accessing the full Jive web interface from mobile browsers depends on the Jive version, not on the Mobile module version.
The following changes to mobile access should be expected when upgrading to Jive Cloud. This does not include many of the user-visible feature changes, as this document is intended to highlight only the most significant changes to mobile acess that are relevant to planning an upgrade. For a more detailed list of feature differences, please see: Jive Mobile Product Comparison Matrix.
- Jive Cloud is compatible with the new Jive 3.0 iOS app, but not with the Jive Mobile 2.x iPhone app. Jive Mobile 2.x app users will be prompted to install the Jive 3.0 app when they use the older 2.x app to connect to a Jive Cloud community.
- Jive 3.0 for iOS requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- For more information on the Jive 3.0 iOS app, please see Jive for iOS 3.0 App (Mobile 3): Technical Note and the Jive documentation.
- Mobile Web in Jive Cloud supports access from iOS 6.0 or later on iPhones using Mobile Safari
- Mobile Web for iPad is no longer available -- this refers to the iPad-specific web interface, not to using the full web UI on an iPad. We recommend the Jive 3.x iOS app for iPad users.
- The Jive Mobile 1.0.x app for Android is no longer supported with Jive Cloud.
- A new, redesigned native app for Android is under active development, with planned availability in Q2 of 2014. We recommend mobile web as an interim solution for Android users.
- Mobile Web in Jive Cloud still supports access from Android 2.3 or later devices using the standard Android web browser
Jive Mobile Gateway
The Jive Mobile Gateway no longer proxies all incoming traffic for from web browsers or native apps.
- Mobile devices must be able to access the Jive instance and any required SAML SSO page (IdP) directly, which may require using a VPN, MDM, or other proxy.
- Mobile Web was previously served from jive-mobile.com; with Jive Cloud it is now served directly on the Jive instance at <Jive URL>/mobile/
- Web browsers that attempt to access your previous Mobile Web URL at <hostname>.jive-mobile.com will be redirected to the Jive URL
The Mobile Gateway is still used as a push notification gateway for the standard distributions of Jive native apps.
- Mobile Web and the Jive 3.0 iOS app use the same web-based SAML SSO that desktop users would use to access Jive, if any is configured. Note that the sign-in page (IdP) must be accessible directly from the mobile device, or a VPN, MDM or other proxy may be required.
- If no SSO is configured, username/password authentication will be used instead.
- Mobile device registration/activation and mobile passcode are not available with Jive Cloud. We recommend using an MDM solution for greater device-level security.
More details on the security of Mobile 3 are available here: https://community.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-102698
Custom Enterprise iOS App Distribution and MDM Wrapping
With Mobile 3, we are introducing a program to enable custom enterprise distribution of the iOS app, including wrapping with MDM tools like Good Dynamics or MobileIron.
Participating customers will be provided access to iOS binaries (.ipa files) for the Jive app, and will be able to perform some customizations, as well as app signing and wrapping. Contact your Jive account representative for more information.
Can we continue to use the Mobile 2 module with Jive Cloud?
No, only the Mobile 3 module is compatible with Jive Cloud.
Our web SSO/policies is not designed to work with mobile devices, are there any alternatives?
Not right now, but we are working on more authentication options for the next release of Jive Cloud. Please stay tuned.