Groups are collaborative places where people can work together and share information on a specific subject. You can join existing groups or create your own and invite people. Four different levels of privacy allow you to choose who can view and contribute to a group as well as how they gain access to the group.
Before you create a new group, consider the purpose of the group and how you can attract members who will participate regularly. The way you name the group and the tags you assign it are ways you can make it easy to find for those who are interested in it.
Create a new group:
- To create a new group click Create > Group. (Group appears under the Places tab.)
- When the new group page loads a pop-up will appear with some details about the group.
- Enter a title for your group. Make sure to avoid abbreviations that others might not know to help your group be found easier.
- Enter a description for your group. This should reflect the purpose and communicate to the users joining the group what you are trying to do with the group.
- Enter any tags that are needed to help search find the group.
- Determine if you want the group to be externally accessible. This will allow you to invite users that are not members of your community, like partners or contractors, to collaborate in this group and only this group. They will be invited by their email address and have no other access to the community.
- Determine the type of group you wish to create. The group type will determine how the users can access the group and what they will be able to see as a non-member.
- Open groups are truly open environments. Any user can navigate to the group and view and comment on existing content as well as create new content of their own without having to join the group. A user can optionally join the group if they wish.
- Members Only groups are similar to open groups in that any user can navigate and read existing content but before they can comment or create content of their own they are required to opt in to be a member by joining the group. This process requires the user to simply click the button “Join this Group” in the top right corner of the group header.
- Private groups allow users to see the group is available but they will have to request access from the group owner (the person who created the group) before they can view any content in the group. The requests will come to the group owner in the Inbox as a notification.
- Secret groups are completely confidential. No user can see a secret group unless the group owner specifically invites them to the group. The invite will be presented in the Inbox as a notification.
- Click the Advanced Options link.
- Choose whether you wish to use the group Activity or Overview page. For more information on both of these see the help document Choosing the Right Landing Page.
- If you decide to use the Activity page, click the Preview and browse templates button. See the “Templates” section of this document for information on activity page templates. If using the Overview page, click the Preview button.
- In the Group Features and Activity section directly above the Create Group button, click the gear wheel icon in the top right corner.
- Choose which group features (content types) you wish to turn on in the group. Be sure to use the features that will help you fulfill your group purpose. Once done, click the Apply button.
- Optionally, click the Avatar button in the group header to add a picture that will help spice up your group.
- Optionally click the Background button in the group header to change the background for the group header, including adding your own image.
- Once you are finished, click the Create Group button.
When you decide to use the activity page there are a series of predetermined group templates that are available for you to use that will give you different tiles on the activity page. Tiles surface content in your group on the activity page and reside on the right hand column of the page. Each activity page can have up to 7 total tiles.
- To change the template of the group, click the Manage drop down and choose Settings.
- At the top of the page directly above the group header, click the Browse Templates button.
- Determine the template category you wish to use (example: General) and select it. This will display all available templates for that category.
- Select the category you wish to use (example: Team Collaboration). Information about that template will appear to the right of the name.
- Click the Apply Template button to apply that template.
- Once done, click the Save button.