Projects allow you to collect people’s content in a way that focuses their work along a schedule toward a specific goal. A project is a great way to give collaborative work a context that’s time-, outcome-, and task-based.
A project can contain the same kinds of content as groups and spaces, but it can also contain tasks that you can assign to people, set due dates, and mark them as complete.
You can add checkpoints to a project as a way of making sure your project is proceeding on track. A checkpoint is like a milestone in the schedule and it’s often used as a point at which to review your project before proceeding.
Remember that projects are created inside groups and spaces.
To create a project:
- Click Create > Project. (Project appears under Places)
- Choose the space or a group where your project will live.
- Give your project a name and description.
- Set the project start and end dates. These dates can be modified at any time.
- Choose who the project owner is. The default is the user creating the project but you can change that to another user. Note: only 1 user can own a project.
- Enter tags to help search find your project.
- Click the Advanced Options link.
- Choose which landing page you wish to use for the project. For information on the difference between the two landing pages see the Choosing the Right Landing Page help document.
- If you decide to use the activity page you can then use the predetermined templates available. For information on how to work with the templates see the Creating New Groups help document. If you decide to use the overview page simply click the Preview button.
- In the Project Features and Activity section click the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Determine if you wish to enable project blogs. Projects will inherit other content types based on what the parent group or space has enabled.
- Optionally click the Avatar button to add a picture for your project.
- Optionally click the Background button to change the project header background.
- Click the Create Project button to save your project.