Version 7

Summary

If you wish to rename certain names or phrases in the Jive user interface, you may do so using phrase substitution.  Phrase substitution requires use of a theme and individual translations for each locale (language) within that theme.  The translations are drawn from the regular expressions (regex) keys within the internationalization (i18n) properties file.

Versions

• Applies to Jive Custom 6, 7, 8
    • Not available in Jive Cloud

Accessing and Extracting the i18n File

For on-prem or self-hosted customers, the jive_i18n_en.properties file may be found in src/java/ in the code and is packaged in the core .jar file (/usr/local/jive/application/sbs/application/WEB-INF/lib/jive-sbs-[employee/public]-[version].jar) on the web application nodes.  To extract the file, use Java Archive Tool and the following command:

jar xf [archive_file] jive_i18n_en.properties

So for example, in Jive 7, the command syntax would be:

jar xf jive-core-7.0.0.0.jar jive_i18n_en.properties

For more information on using the Java Archive Tool, refer to:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/basicsindex.html

Since phrase substitutions are tied to the theme, changes made to your theme through upgrades or deliberate theme changes may affect the availability of phrase substitutions and must be reapplied.

Sample i18n Files

For hosted customers, samples of the English version i18n files for Jive 4.5, 5.0, 6.0, and 7.0 have been attached to the bottom of this article.

Configuring a Simple Phrase Substitution

Using simple phrase substitution, you will be able to quickly and easily change the names for spaces, documents, discussions, and blogs as seen by your users.  For example, the name for the content type blogs.

simple1.png

To add a simple phrase substitution:

1. Navigate in the admin console to System > Settings > Phrase Substitutions and select the appropriate locale and theme.

simple2.png

2. Add a singular and plural name for "Blog" and then click the "Save" button.

simple3.png

3. Upon refreshing the page and while the theme is applied, you should now see the new name diary where blog had been previously mentioned.

simple4.png

4. Repeat this for each locale needed.

Configuring an Advanced Phrase Substitution

To modify additional phrase strings, you will want to use advance phrase substitution.  For example, you may wish to modify the welcome message on the login page.

advance1.png

There are two ways to enter the advance phrase substitution: substitution by string, or substitution by i18n key.  To find the i18n key, you will need to first view and search the i18n file in your favorite text editor to identify the appropriate phrase key or phrase strings to use based on the default wording.  If you already know the string you want to substitute for, you can skip to Step 1.In this example for Jive 6, we will be using:

[PHRASE_KEY] = [PHRASE_STRING]
    login.intro.header = Welcome to the new way to business.login.intro.text = Jive gives you everything you need and love about social in your personal life, at work. Connect and share instantly, ask questions, find and follow experts, and keep track of team progress. With Jive, you can change the way work gets done.

Once the phrase keys or phrase strings have been identified:

1. Navigate in the admin console to System > Settings > Phrase Substitutions, noting that the correct locale and theme has been selected, and then click the View Rules button.

advance2.png

2. Click on the "Add Rule" button.

advance3.png

1. If you know the phrase key (login.intro.header), enter the following values:

Target:  Key
        Operator:  Equals
        Pattern:  login.intro.header
        Replace With:  [YOUR CUSTOM WELCOME MESSAGE]

Click "Save" when you are done and r
        epeat for any remaining phrase keys.

advance4.png

2. If you do not know the phrase key, but know the entire phrase string, enter the following values:

Target:  Value
        Operator:  Equals
        Pattern:  Welcome to the new way to business.
        Replace With:  [YOUR CUSTOM WELCOME MESSAGE]

Click "Save" when you are done and repeat for any remaining phrase strings.

advance5.png

3. Click "Add Rule" to add any additional rules needed as per how many additional phrase keys are to be employed.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 for each locale needed.
    5. Ensure that the desired theme is enabled, then navigate to your Jive instance to view the intended page.  You should now see the changes.

advance6.png
      If you do not see the change, refresh your browser and/or clear the browser cache.  If the issue persists, check to see if you have internet caching or CDN caching at the network level and either manually clear the network cache, or allow some time to pass for it to automatically clear on its own.

Related Content

If you require any additional customization or theming assistance beyond what has been outlined here, we highly encourage reaching out to your Account Manager to help look into the scope and requirements of a Jive Professional Services (PS) engagement.  Our PS team is expertly equipped to handle this and will be happy to assist you. For additional information on phrase substitutions, please refer to the Jive Documentation below: