When you purchase Enhanced Disaster Recovery and the order is processed, our Finance team will send a case to Hosting to initiate the setup of your EDR site. This case will appear in your customer support group here on the Jive Community and will be used to further coordinate and inform you of the onboarding process.
Jive's process to onboard a new EDR customer consists of the following steps:
- Complete an assessment of the existing production instance to determine which components, plugins, and customizations are used.
- Create a skeleton site in the appropriate secondary data center.
- Link the production site to the skeleton site and begin replicating data.
- Set up any components that require EDR-specific configurations, such as a virtual private network (VPN).
- Onboarding Level 2 customers also involves scheduling and performing the first of the annual EDR tests.
The entire onboarding process typically takes approximately three weeks to complete, though the amount of time required will vary depending on the size of the instance and the components identified in the initial assessment. Some components, such as VPN, may also require customer involvement in order to complete the configuration.
Disaster Recovery Plan
Once the initial setup is complete, Hosting will post a copy of the Disaster Recovery Plan to your support group here on the Jive Community.
- Level 1 customers are entitled to a copy of the generic disaster recovery plan document for the specific data center in which their production instance is hosted.
- Level 2 customers will receive a custom disaster recovery plan.
- EDR Level 2 customers will need to schedule the first of their annual EDR Tests as part of the onboarding process in order for Jive to develop and validate the disaster recovery plan.
Disaster Recovery Test
EDR tests do not affect production instances. Tests are performed on the EDR instance using a separate URL and a snapshot of the data recovered from a recent backup.
Prior to the test, Jive performs another site audit to identify any test-specific configurations needed. At the beginning of the test, the replicated data volumes in the secondary data center are cloned and the virtual machines are connected to the cloned volumes. Replication from the primary to the secondary data center continues in the background, while the customer tests with the cloned data. After the test completes, the cloned data is removed and the VMs are once again connected to the skeleton volumes.
It is important that you supply at least 3 weeks notice prior to your desired test window so that Jive can perform the necessary preparation work.
- Entitled to one test per year.
- Jive sets aside 72-hour windows for these tests and designates them for customers upon request on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The first 48 hours of the test window are reserved by Jive to perform configuration, recover the site, and run through internal validation steps.
- Customers will have the site available for their own testing for at least the final 24 hours of the test, though the site will be turned over sooner if the recovery steps require less than the full 48 hours.
- Entitled to two tests per year.
- Tests may be scheduled outside of the pre-established windows mentioned above, at a mutually agreed upon time. Level 2 tests are scheduled in a 32 hour window.
- Jive only reserves the first 8 hours for configuration, recovery, and validation.
- Level 2 customers will have the site available for their own testing for the final 24 hours of the test, unless Jive's portion is completed sooner.
The following basic acceptance test of the environment will be performed by Jive prior to handoff:
- Verify site is operational and log in via admin and non-admin accounts.
- View server documents, blogs, and discussions in various spaces.
- Verify email notifications and email replies by watching a document with one user account, replying with another, and then replying by email to the notification.
- Verify search on various words located in document, blog, and discussion titles.
- Test creation of content by creating a group, and then a document, discussion, and blog inside of that group.
EDR Test Site Limitations
An EDR Test site will have the following limitations which would not be present in a real life disaster:
- Apps: Individual apps installed for users will not be installed for users in the EDR test site.
- Akamai: This requires additional configuration but is optional to test in EDR. If you will want to do so please let us know as far in advance as possible. Additional fees may apply to this service.
- LDAP/Single Sign On (SSO): This will be disabled.
- Email: This will be disabled. All email addresses will have 'localhost' appended to them to prevent accidental notifications from the test, and the SMTP server is set to an invalid address. If you wish to test email you can adjust the settings to allow it:
- Open the Admin Console.
- Click System > Settings > Email server.
- Change the Mail Host to the one for your EDR site location:
- US Customers: mx1-out1.ewr1.jivehosted.com
- EMEA Customers: mx1-out1.lhr1.jivehosted.com
- You may want to change the Server Admin Email to a non-production value.
- Click Save Changes.
- You will also need to change the email address for any test users that should receive email.
- Module & Plugin Limitations:
- Video: Neither existing or new video content can be tested in the EDR test site.
- Business Objects (BOBJ): This will be disabled.
- Mobile: If you wish to test Mobile in EDR you will need to configure the Mobile URL specifically for the EDR site in the admin console.
- Gamification: This will be disabled.
- Records Retention: If you wish to test Records Retention you will need to set a valid email address to receive reports, due to addresses being scrubbed in EDR.
- SharePoint Connector or Jive for SharePoint: This will be disabled.
- Custom Plugins:
- Jive will install the necessary Jive-supported plugins based on the results of the assessment of your Production site.
- Customers will be given temporary access to the EDR site in the Jive Cloud Admin to allow for installing any custom plugins and restarting the site.
- If the assessment shows that you have plugins developed by Jive Professional Services we will work to coordinate the possible enablement of those plugins in the EDR site (Additional PS fees may apply).
Please see the Disaster Recovery FAQ. If your question is not answered there please feel free to submit a support case.