Version 1

Recently, I had the opportunity to work with many of our customers in EMEA. These are in depth technical sessions in Germany, France, and the UK where we are diving down into the details of the Jive Developer Platform Point of View, the differences between Jive 5, 6, and 7, and how some of the customer specific use cases. In part because of geography, many of our customers in EMEA are on-prem. As a result their customizations have been accomplished primarily through plugins.

I wanted to get on the table a set of considerations about what it means to move from a plugin to an add-on--even if you are running in an on-premise environment. This set of slides is the first part of trying to identify the considerations that must be taken into account when evaluating the two integration techniques. I also want to codify a set of best practices about how you can effectively move from plugins to add-ons.

This document belongs to all of us. I owe a special thanks to Nils Heuer, who helped with many of the ideas behind the first version of this document. Please add your thoughts & comments and I'll update it along the way.

Thanks, & happy coding!