What is this?
The Jive Community has delivered some incredible plugins over the last few years, the usefulness has been impressive and many helped get additional functionality into the Jive platform. As Jive continues to release new versions of our core application, the plugins needed to be updated by their original authors, which meant potential delays or in some cases, no additional releases.
On the development side, Jive has continued to mature since the days of 'everything is a plugin' which means many of these useful pieces of functionality need maintenance to keep them alive as plugins, or work by a partner or Jive's professional services to move them to the 'future friendly' add-on framework.
I use one of these plugins, what do I do?
- All of the following plugins were released as 'unsupported' plugins by community members, so someone needs to take ownership of upgrades, maintenance, support if these plugins are a requirement for your community. This is my simple way of saying that Ryan needs to be focused on his day job.
- Jive's professional services team is actively working out pricing to be able to provide these integrations in Jive 7 as well as delivering as much as possible in Jive Cloud. The good news is that since the code already exists, it is (almost always) less expensive to create a new version or an add-on equivalent. Contact our professional services team for guidance / costs.
- If you have a question about a different plugin, please post it so we can review the functionality.
- Many of the integrations listed in this doc are either now available via partner, built into the product or can be added to Jive Custom / Jive Cloud via our Add-on framework.
- Contact our professional services team for guidance / costs.
- Jive Custom
- Possibility to use a plugin, note that this will be more expensive long term.
- Possibility to use an add-on to add most of the functionality.
- Jive Cloud
- Has more functionality built in or coming soon.
- Most all of the following use cases can be accomplished via our Add-on framework
- If you are worried something is not possible in cloud, look for
- Jive 8 (when released)
- Add-ons will need less work, or no services work to function on newer versions of Jive. The add-on framework is the future.
- Plugins would need a review by our services team.
|Plugin||Original source||Key capabilities||Jive 7 Custom Solution (Hosted & On-prem)||Jive Cloud Solution||Comments|
|Community Built Plugins|
|Ghost-blogging||Ghost Blog Plugin | Jive Community|
Has been delivered as a professional services add-on. Some differences in functionality and those differences are being resolved in the add-on framework.
|Quicklinks||QuickLinks Plugin | Jive Community||The only delta for Jive Cloud customers and Jive 8 is that this does not live as a drop down from the permanent nav. But, the personal page will be 9,001 times more powerful for end users.|
|Managed Snippets||Managed Snippets Plugin||The use case is wide open here, any insight from customers on usage is appreciated.|
|QuickTemplates||QuickTemplates - Plugin|
Our professional services team has built a 'form builder' application that can be deployed as an add-on for Custom or Cloud.
Our professional services team has also built a 'copy' add-on that would work as well.
Roadmap: Jive is also looking into further roadmap options.
|Database Query||seanstaley/database-query-plugin · GitHub||Roadmap: While Jive does not have plans to add database queries directly into the product, we are going to allow simple queries against the cloud based data export service.|
|Bulk Upload Plugin||Bulk Upload Plugin||The storage framework or add-on framework are the right way to handle bulk uploads at this time.|
|Admin Essentials - Admin Essentials Plugin | Jive Community|
Okta connects one system for free, but some basic professional services is needed to get cloud + Okta hooked up.
Okta has the ability to combine different data sources into 1 profile.
|Reserved Docs are now part of Cloud.|
With the changes Jive has made to overview pages there is very little chance to 'break' a page and need the reset button this integration provided
|Under Review for the Jive Roadmap - For JiveX the importance of correct URLs + SEO is key.|
Under Review for the Jive Roadmap - The intent of spaces was meant to handle this scenario, but we understand that groups are just 'easier' in many ways.
|Under Review for the Jive Roadmap - Likely the roadmap focus would be on 'add a user to social group without approval stage' first, since then you don't need to worry about|
|Under Review for the Jive Roadmap - This functionality is under review. First step will be updating our API framework to allow the ability to sync security group => social group.|
|Under Review for the Jive Roadmap - Jive is looking into 'archiving' of content / groups instead of a hard delete.|
Not currently planned.
If anyone has insight into how they are using this functionality, that would be great to hear!