T-Mobile Overview Page(s)

Version 5

This document is part of Internal Overview Page Customer Examples

Company / Jive Instance Summary:

T-Mobile USA is a national provider of wireless voice, messaging, and data services capable of reaching over 293 million Americans where they live, work, and play. (<-- copied that from our About page )  Also according to our About page we have approximately 38K Employees.  Combine those employees with our Service Partners (you may call them outsourcers) and Retail Partners we have approximately 80K souls capable of using our primary internally-facing Jive Instance, T-Community (Jive Hosted, SBS ver. 6.0.1.1).  During peak hours we can reach upwards of 10K concurrent users, most of them Customer Service and Retail Sales employees who use the site as their primary Knowledge Base, Communication hub, Feedback and Ideation mechanism, and overall portal to reach all the things they need to sell to and support our customers.  When you call T-Mobile Customer Service or step inside one of our Retail stores, they are using this instance of Jive to locate and provide the information to sell you a product or answer your question.

Jive will tell you SBS is not a Content Management System -they're right.  Despite some shortcomings as a CMS, we like to think of our Jive instances (we have 8 total) as Social CMSs and we have most of them configured to the hilt to serve that purpose.  If you're interested in how we do it, I'd be happy to chat here on the JC, via phone, or at Jive World.

Disclaimer: I did none of this work myself.  If I contributed at all it took the form of feedback and encouragement (they might say discouragement...) as my team worked to gather feedback, develop wireframes, mockups, and started building.  They're amazing!

T-Community Home Page

Note: Everything you see here is accomplished using Jive widgets (mostly HTML), Theme configuration (via the Admin console, not the built-in theming tool), and the Jive API.  We have one minor 'customization' created by Jive Professional Services, but we did the rest in-house.  That minor customization allows us to access a user's security group membership via a script -it allows us to show-hide elements based on your permission level (skip to #6 below to see an example).

Note For My Sanity: We're currently in progress of a phased overhaul of our Community spaces to increase usability and overall simplify presentation of content (remember, this is a KB).  Some of the fit and finish in these screenshots is a bit 'off', but we'll unify the design over the coming months.  Our plan is have the new design and functionality completed ahead of our Jive 7 upgrade in September.

T-Community.png

1. Our Top Navigation (shot of that below) breaks down our primary Space trees or topic areas.
    2. Breaking News: News displayed here is considered the most important.  Our intent is to show the magenta banner on every page of the community only when new items are flagged (via tag) as Breaking -hiding the banner when all items currently flagged asBreaking are read.
    3. News Tiles: The four most recently posted (non-Breaking) news items are displayed here.  We pull these Blog posts via the API, trim as needed and display title and the first few words of the body.
    4. This essentially is the news archive.  If it isn't the latest 4, it is displayed here.  Tags on the Blog posts determine how the articles are categorized.  This section is also generated using the Jive API.
    5. There static 'tiles' link to key places.  The only item of note is OneVoice - this is an Intranet maintained by IT for HR.  It runs on SharePoint. Boo.
    6. Did you skip ahead?  This element provides a link for Admins to edit the Overview page.  Anyone outside the Admin permission group does not see this.

Here's a shot of that Top Nav with a menu open:

2014-06-17_21-13-35.png'

And here's how it looks when you click one of the various News links:

T-Community_News.png

We chose to use modals to display news items to keep folks on the page.  In older versions, the links lead to the Blog post and you had to click Back or Home to open the next one.

Speaking of keeping people on the same page... Let's look at what we're doing with our content Space Overview pages.

T-Community Space Overview Page:

Below you'll see one of our new Space Overview designs we debuted as part of a design pilot (some might say a 'beta') or A/B test.  The idea was to create an easy-to-use means of exposing available content (read: a menu), displaying it on the same page (eliminating 'clicks'), and keeping it all simple enough for the content authors (who are not Admins) to re-configure on the fly.  The reception of this design has been unbelievably positive -in fact our biggest issue is being able to roll it out fast enough!

Harmony_Home.png

1. This banner calls attention to the fact that this is a Pilot Space.  The primary navigation continued to lead users to the 'legacy' version of the device space.  They were then able to opt-in to viewing this version -they could opt-out by choosing "Back to Normal".  Feedback was gathered simply by linking them to an existing thread to add a reply.
    2. This menu system is pretty slick (if i say so myself).  It dynamically generates on page-load by reading the tags on every document in the Space (Jive API), then organizing everything based on those tags.  By using tags the content author can relocate any document on this menu simply by editing the tags - even create a new category called Cats if they wanted to.
    3. This whole panel is actually a document pulled in via the API.  Based on the menu selection chosen, this document is replaced by another -keeping the user on the Overview page.

Here's a shot of a document selected in the menu and how it displays on the right:

Harmony.png

1. Menu Item selected.
    2. We manually define the corresponding article on our customer-facing Jive-based Customer Support Community.  The View on T-Mobile.com button simply takes you there.  Email to Customer also leverages the Jive API to read the customer-facing article and 'package' it into an e-mail and send it to a customer.  The e-mail 'form' also captures the customer's mobile number and article title so we can measure how effective sending of content is to reducing repeat calls.
    3. So... if we display documents like this... what about Comments?  Pressing this button pulls in the document's comments (via the API) and even allows you to post a comment.

There are plenty of other spaces in T-Community I could show, but I'll only have 10 minutes.  To wrap this up I'll post a couple other sites which are customer-facing.  Check them out!  Remember, these were made entirely on Jive with widgets and themes.

[UPDATE]

Here's a look at the redesigned Home Page I mentioned above.  Transitioning to the 'white' top nav really brightened things up.  We now display the page differently for Customer Service vs. Sales as their Communications are different.  We also provide a differentiated top Nav for each audience as well -both of these are determined by your user account (which Org you're in).  The screen below shows a toggle at the bottom of the Home page, allowing staff to toggle between the two views.

2015-02-24_11-31-30.png

T-Mobile.com Support Home Page

http://support.t-mobile.com

Support.png

GoSmart Mobile Home Page

http://support.gosmartmobile.com

GoSmart.png

[UPDATE: September 2016]

Another year, another upgrade of Jive and we take the opportunity to (literally) start from scratch.  T-Community has been sunset and replaced with a new instance: C2.  We copied nothing from T-Community and instead re-wrote everything (including thousands of pages of content) in an effort to build a new, mobile-first experience.  The effort took nearly a year to complete, but I think it was worth it.  No legacy code... No legacy content... Only items deemed business critical were migrated (but not copy/paste) to the new site -the reset was left to rot.  <-- ok, that sounds morbid.  we left it behind and the owners of the content can choose to delete it or migrate to another platform.  C2 is lean and mean.

Same principles apply: Build a site on Jive... that looks (and sometimes acts) nothing like Jive.  This is Jive-n 8.0.2 (hosted):

Home Page:

First, sorry for the blurry image, I zoomed way out to fit everything into a single shot (looks like it jacked the article titles too).  News still takes center stage.  We house News items (blog posts) in two primary areas -one for Customer Service and one for Sales-specific items.  Based on which side of the house you are, the page will grab and render news which applies to you.  The articles appear first in first out with the latest 7 appearing at the top in the grid of images.  We have a cache of 'stock' images, but if the Editor wants to specify their own, they can simply attach it to the Blog post and it will display.  As articles age out of the top 7(images) they move down into the list below... and eventually fall out of view and are archived after about 2 weeks.

2016-09-06_10-21-13.png

Same page as seen on a mobile device (or your browser squeezed all the way down.

2016-09-06_10-40-32.png

Overview pages got a nice upgrade:

This is our devices homepage (Overview).  The latest 6 devices appear here with options to filter for any previous devices (by OEM, Platform, type, etc.).

2016-09-06_10-23-17.png

Documents:

Every part of the site got a makeover - too many places to post screenshots of, but here's a look at how documents look.  Gone is that ugly right side bar.  Now they go full width -actions and other options accessible from the buttons up top.  This device procedure doesn't exactly do it justice, but you get the idea.

2016-09-06_10-26-44.png

Gotta say - my team rocks!