Version 1

Summary

You may notice that sometimes when you upload a WebEx video recording to Jive, the video that plays back in Jive is very blurry and hard to read, despite the original video looking fine on the desktop. This is most noticeable in WebEx recordings that are of a computer screen or a web browser, where most of the content is text.

The main reason for why these types of videos may degrade in quality and become blurry once played back in Jive is that the original videos from WebEx were not exported at a high enough quality or 'bitrate' to ensure that they are acceptable once Jive converts the video to a video format that is playable in the browser.

A part of the video upload process is that Jive's video service will re-encode all of the uploaded videos so that they are in a standard format that is playable across all browsers and devices. This encoding process is done at a high quality (720P, aka HD), but the encoding process means that there will inevitably be some sort of quality loss simply because Jive is converting data from one format to another.

Additionally, a component of this encoding process means that we also are resizing the video from the original dimensions to a standard set of dimensions - If a video is not high enough quality, then this resizing process alone can cause the video to look blurry.

What is a video's bitrate?

A video's bitrate is a number that represents the size of the video file per second of data. The higher your bitrate, the higher the quality of your video. The video bitrate that Jive optimizes for is anywhere between 500 kbps and 2000 kbps, depending on the size of the video player and the device you're playing the video on.  This bitrate range falls in line with other video playback services.

What can I do to fix my WebEx video?

In instances where WebEx videos are very blurry on playback, we are often seeing that the bitrate for the original video that is exported from WebEx is as low as 40 kbps.  This kind of bitrate is simply too low to start with, and a significant loss in quality during the upload and conversion process is unavoidable given the quality of the original video.

There is nothing that Jive can do to prevent this type of quality degradation given the quality of the original video being uploaded.

The best way to address the issue is to export the video from WebEx in a quality that has a higher bitrate and higher quality.  Starting with a higher quality video before the conversion process will ensure that the final video quality that is played back in Jive is as high as possible.

There are references to there being "Video Quality" options that you can control when exporting videos from WebEx on a Windows computer. You can review the documentation here: https://support.webex.com/support/documentation/help/index.htm#21879.htm

1.png

How do I find out the bitrate of my video before I upload it in Jive?

Finding the bitrate of your video will depend on the video playback tool you are using.  If you are using VLC for video playback, you can find the rate by first opening the video, and then going to Window > Media Information, and then opening the Statistics Tab, and then finding the "Stream bitrate".

2.png