The current implementation of Tasks in Jive Projects (Not Producteev Tasks), can sometimes show a due date incorrectly for some users. This is due to a known limitation of the current implementation of tasks in Jive, and it is an issue most often seen when a task is viewed by a user whose timezone is set ahead of the Jive application's timezone.
Verified for versions: Jive Custom 6, 7, Jive Cloud
The issue caused by a known design limitation of Jive Tasks within Jive Projects. When a task is created, although a user is only given the option of selecting the Due Date as a single day, the Jive system will actually save the Due Date as happening at 11:59:59 PM of that day, in the timezone Jive server. If a user's timezone is ahead of the Jive application's configured timezone, then this will result in the Due Date appearing to be the next day in Jive.
To illustrate how the issue happens, if a task in Jive is set to be due on Jan 1, then when it is viewed by the Eastern Timezone user, due to the time differences between the Jive application and their user account, the system will report the due date as Jan 2 @ 2:59:59 AM, although the time is never displayed. This will cause the task that is due on Jan 1 to show as being due on Jan 2.
Although this functionality is not ideal in all scenarios or configurations, it is the intended behavior of the application.
The steps to reproduce the issue are:
- Verify your Jive application's timezone in Admin Console: System > Settings > Locale > Time Zone
- In this example it is set to Pacific Time
- Log in with a user whose Timezone in their preferences is also set to Pacific Time
- Create a new task with a Due Date of Jan 1
- Verify that the due date displays correctly upon saving
- Log in with a user whose Timezone in their preferences is set to Eastern Time
- Create a new task with the Due Date of Jan 1
Result: For the user in the Eastern Timezone, the task's Due Date will report as Jan 2.
New Task Details
Task Details when viewed by a Pacific Time Zone user
Task Details when viewed by a Eastern Time Zone user
Changes in Jive 8 and newer
The behavior of how tasks are shown in Jive has changed in Jive 8 and later releases. There were a few changes made in response to the confusion the old tasks caused around timezone differences:
- The time is shown for upcoming tasks, although this is not something that can be changed or controlled when creating a task.
- All tasks have their due date set for 12:00 AM on the day after the selected due date.
- In Jive 7 and older tasks were always due at 11:59:59 PM of the same day. Now they are due at 12:00 AM of the next day.
- For example, if I create a task due on June 12, the Due Date for the task will be shown as June 13 at 12:00 AM (See screenshot 1 below)
- Because the Tasks list now shows the time for each task, users whose timezones don't match that of the Jive server will see the time offset difference.
- For example, if a user in PST (UTC-8) creates a task that is due on June 13 (12:00 AM), and then a EST(UTC-5) user views it, they will see the due at as June 13 at 3:00 AM (See screenshot 2 below)
In short, when you set a task due date in Jive 8, the stored due date is the next day at 12:00 AM:
June 12 Task Details when viewed by a Pacific Time Zone user
June 12 Task Details when viewed by an Eastern Time Zone user