People Business is Social Business

Version 1

As we learn about companies such as HP and eBay splitting up divisions through mergers and acquisitions, I'm reminded that we are entering a portal for activating our social business practices into higher gear.   Just flip through magazines such as Fast Company or Inc. and you can get a small glimpse into the number of new app or big data companies who are fighting for market share.  For me, it feels like Déjà vu from the 1990s when we had eXcite, FogDog, Broadvision a countless other eCommerce companies on the rise.  I suppose it's just a reflection that as social stewards we can infuse the M&A teams with social metrics and analytics to inform the process.  We can champion in

According to Talent Management Magazine, “Successful companies begin by recognizing that people-related decisions present the most difficult variables in almost any transaction and pose the greatest risks, such as turnover up to 60 percent, or lingering cultural issues that cripple productivity. They beat the odds by carefully managing human capital to transform two groups of people into one functioning company.”

I’ve seen some progressive organizations taking the data from their enterprise systems to help them identify hi potential talent, which is laudable.  Why not take it a step further and allow these same individuals the opportunity to innovate on the merger and acquisition.  It becomes more about mentorship and learning than it is transactional.  Yes, there are financial and transactional tasks that need to be completed, of course.  But with all the human capital work streams and risk, why not invite new thinking to the process versus (bring employees who don't have a seat at the leadership table) into the roles held by traditional M&A consultants to  provide fresh and relevant approaches in the business discussions and transition?

Using the social network analysis to help us identify change agents or champions who can help bridge the merger and acquisition process within both organizations should be a requirement for the future of work.