Version 4

FAQ: Apps Market Management

How do I only allow approved apps in the Apps Market for my community? I want to turn on Whitelisting.

You can do this by enabling "Whitelisting" for your Jive Apps market configuration to allow your users to only install apps that your community admins have approved.

By default Whitelisting is disabled for Jive instances.

When a jive instance has whitelisting enabled, all new apps coming in to the market (via approval/activation by the Jive app market admins) are in a disabled (blacklisted) state. The customer community admin then has control on which apps to enable for their jive instance.

To enable Whitelisting you will need to create a new Jive support case requesting whitelisting to be enabled.

Please note, if you enable whitelisting, you may need to have your users reinstall any previously installed apps.

How do I hide apps that I've disabled in the Apps Market?

You can control whether or not users are able to see apps that have been disabled in your Apps market.

By default "Disabled app visibility" is enabled for Jive instances

When a Jive instance has turned off the "disabled apps visibility" setting, users of the Jive instance will not see disabled apps in the market. Customer admins will continue to see disabled apps in the market.

To disable "Disabled app visibility" you will need to create a new Jive support case requesting "Disabled Apps Visibility" to be disabled.

I disabled the Apps Market but I am still seeing references to Apps in Jive.  Why is this?

Apps can be installed in your Jive instance outside of the Apps Market. For example, Apps can be delivered via Add-Ons, even with the Apps Market disabled. This can explain why you may still see an "Apps" menu in your header, or reference to "!apps" in the editor, even after disabling the Apps Market in the Admin Console.

Jive Cloud communities can request to hide the Apps menu item for all customers. See more details here: FAQ: Why can't I remove or disable the 'Apps' menu link from Jive?

What is the difference between an App, an Add-On, and the Apps Market?

Apps allow you to extend the Jive UI with new functionality. An app  has access to the content, people, and places within your Jive community using Jive’s Open Social API. Apps can be accessed from the Apps menu (like a traditional Jive App) as well as from many other contexts within the Jive experience (using 'app action contributions'). Some locations for app action contributions include the sidebar, project tabs, the create menu, and even within the text area when creating content.

An App can be available in a Jive instance via either the Apps Market or an Add-On.

The Apps Market is a centralized hosted service that provides a list of available Apps that you can install in your Jive community.

An Add-On is a delivery tool for Jive extensions, one of which are "Apps".  Other items that can be included in an Add-On are Tiles, Cartridges, and External Storage Frameworks. More than one app can be packaged inside of a single add-on, and when uploading an add-on, the packaged apps are made available to users of that Jive instance. 

A key advantage of add-ons is that they can be installed and used completely independent of any cloud service, i.e. the Jive Apps Market. Another key difference between add-ons and the Jive Apps Market is how the integrations are discovered and installed. When an add-on that contains an app is installed by the admin, the app becomes available and is pre-installed for everyone in the Jive Community; the Jive Apps Market in contrast relies on individual discovery and installation.

How do I configure permissions for my Add-On App?

In Jive Cloud, admins have the ability to restrict Add-Ons to specific users and user permission groups.  This is managed in Admin Console: Add-Ons > App Services > Edit an installed Add-On service

1.png

This feature is not available in Jive 7.

Related Information