Do you thrive on leading change and developing creative and visual solutions to communication challenges? Here is your opportunity to contribute to the evolution of an iconic brand. American Airlines is transforming all aspects of the company, especially communication. As a member of the Digital Communications team, you can help drive the change we are seeking and be part of this dynamic, high-performing team.
We are looking for an experienced Visual Web Designer to work with our company portal User Experience team. Our corporate portal delivers customized information, resources and self-service applications to a global workforce. You will be part of a team that plays a critical role in the design and implementation of new features, as well as the ongoing maintenance of the portal.
As a Visual Web Designer, you have the unique chance to help shape and develop American’s internal portal, through the use of leading-edge technologies that allow you to tap into your creative, strategic and design skills. This role is part of a dynamic communications team striving to improve the experience for the people of American Airlines.
The majority of the design projects involve the use of the Jive platform and possible enhancements to existing web sites. Projects may also include external web sites and mobile applications and presentations.
- Have a working understanding of publishing and content management systems. Must be able to publish editorial content when required.
- Comprehend, communicate, and adhere to American’s visual design and brand standards
- Perform heuristic and competitive analyses
- Focus on creating highly useable, engaging and motivating digital experiences
- Create wireframes, design specifications, storyboards, scenarios, and prototypes
- Create user-centered designs that address business and user requirements – from concept development through build-out
- Collaboratively develop user interface designs and interactive prototypes
- Present design solutions to management and business customers, backing-up recommendations with solid usability principles
- Help maintain the integrity of the portal; championing usability and standards, creating graphics and assisting with maintenance and updates
- Explore and create conceptual models, flows, sitemaps, and navigation schemes
- Participate in usability testing and translate usability and survey findings into design improvements further enhancing the end user experience.
- Lead whiteboard sessions and other UX meetings to gather user-focused requirements and define project scope
- Help define information architecture for content rich microsites
- Work with teams to understand business and design goals and then select and iterate the best approach to create a highly usable and engaging experiences
- BA/BFA degree in graphic or visual design, digital media design or related field
- Direct UX experience developing information architectures and highly usable interface specifications and prototypes
- Ability to partner with front-end developers and create HTML and CSS-friendly designs
- Experience with user research techniques and interface prototyping tools (e.g. Axure, Visio, iRise, Photoshop).
- Knowledge of responsive and adaptive web design process
- Must have portfolio or samples of previous work demonstrating required skills and displaying user-centered design
Additional Skills: (not required, but a plus)
- Experience working with social business or enterprise social collaboration platforms such as Lithium, Jive, Yammer, SharePoint, Salesforce.com Communities is a plus
- Some Web analytics experience is a plus
- Project leadership experience from user experience standpoint is a plus
- Work within an Agile environment is a plus
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with cross-browser and cross-platform issues (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.) Demonstrated Web design skills that show creativity beyond applying third-party templates.
- Knowledge and experience with User-Centered Design practices; contextual inquiry and user research, persona development, heuristic evaluation, competitive analysis, interface design, rapid prototyping and participatory design, usability testing.
- Passion for the latest and greatest – technology, social media and web trends
- Ability to handle tight deadlines, multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to innovate and be creative while working within a structured portal framework and a corporate environment.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate complex, interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively to diverse audiences
- Well-organized and able to thrive in fast moving environment, able to think innovatively, and capable of making quick decisions