I realize this is intuitive for a lot of people, at the same time, I've seen a lot of new members lately struggling with taking that first step.
Say hello to your peeps
The best way to introduce yourself in JiveWorks is to first find the right place to say hello! To find the right place for you, take a look at the JiveWorks Topic Directory and pick a place with a topic that resonates with you.
- If you are an employee (internal) community manager, then you should probably introduce yourself to the other internal community managers in the Internal Communities place.
- If you manage a customer or partner (external) community, say hello in External Communities.
- If you are a developer, you should say "hi" to the other developers in Developer.
- For partners, introduce yourself in Partner Home
Start a discussion
Some of our key places already have active discussions titled "introduce yourself." If you find yourself in one of those places, please comment on that discussion and say hello! If you are in a place in the community that doesn't have "introduce yourself" as an active discussion, then feel free to start your own! You start a discussion by doing the following:
- Go to the place where you want to start a discussion (you can find places in the JiveWorks Topic Directory or search by key words in the header menu)
- When you are in the right place, select Discussion under the Actions > Create menu. When you select Discussion you have the option to start a discussion or click the box to ask a question.
- Be sure to include these things in your discussion/question:
- Who you are: what is your role using Jive at your company?
- What do you hope to get from coming to the community?
- What one question would you like to start with?
Follow places in your Jive Inbox
In order to get the most from your experience in JiveWorks, you've taken the important step of introducing yourself. To further the conversation and to be aware when people say hello in return, be sure to follow the place(s) that you identified above from the JiveWorks Topic Directory in your Inbox (otherwise really cool stuff could be happening that you are totally unaware of).
To follow a place in your inbox:
- Go to the place you'd like to follow and select the Follow button.
- Several options will appear, we advice beginners to elect to follow at least one place in their Inbox (see below).
Want to receive email notifications about your Jive Inbox?
When starting out, it's a good idea to turn email notifications on, so that you are more aware of activity happening in the community. You can always turn the notifications off later when you are visiting the community on a regular basis.
- Under your picture avatar, select Preferences
- Turn on "receive email" at the very top of the list - as shown below (this means you will get an email in your company's email system).
- Next, select Inbox (everything except direct social) - as shown below.
- Next, select Inbox (Direct social interactions) - as shown below.
- If you are concerned with receiving too many emails from Jive, be sure to select NO for every other option.
- Select Save at the bottom of the screen (or your changes will not be saved).
Now get out there and say hello!