These are instructions for one (optional) phase of the How To: Configure the Jive iOS App for Enterprise Distribution process, specifically, the modification of the localized strings files that reside within the .ipa file of the Enterprise Distribution of the Jive iOS app. You should consult this parent document for the necessary steps to take before (e.g. unzip) and after (e.g. re-sign) these instructions, as well as for guidance on the strings that are most likely to be modified (e.g. "changed for branding purposes") .
- The Payload/jive-ios-core.app/ directory will contain a number of directories whose names end in ".lproj". Each of these directories contain application resources that have been localized for a particular language (e.g. "en.lproj" contains the English language resources). It is up to the reader to decide the languages that should include their modified strings.
- Opening a ".strings" file as-is in Xcode will not result in a suitable editor. If you want the official Apple details then check out String Resources, but the real nugget is at the very end ("Debugging Strings Files" heading),
A strings file is essentially a property-list file formatted in a special way.Long story short, the file is named ".strings" but this filename extension does not convey the true nature of the file contents (specifically, a binary property-list file, which is created by the iOS app build process from a textual strings file).
- Change the filename extension to ".plist", open it in Xcode, and modify the relevant items in the "Value" column (and not editing anything in both the "Key" or "Type" columns, nor adding any new rows). Screenshot of the en.Iproj/JVLoginViewController.strings file after having been renamed and opened in Xcode:
- After saving your edits in Xcode (and closing the Xcode editor window), change the filename extension back to the original ".strings".
- You must re-sign the app payload following all edits to the payload contents. As previously mentioned, consult How To: Configure the Jive iOS App for Enterprise Distribution ("Signing" section) for further instructions.