JIVE SOFTWARE TRI-HACKATHON CONTEST
Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS HACKATHON CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS HACKATHON CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO THOSE WHO REGISTER IN ADVANCE TO PARTICIPATE (See Section 2).
By participating in the JiveWorld16 Developer Tri-Hackathon Contest (the “Hackathon”) sponsored by Jive Software, Inc., Participants (referred to below as “I” or “me” or the “Participant”), agree to be bound by these General Terms and Conditions (the “Agreement”) as follows:
- 1. General. The Hackathon is sponsored and administered by Jive Software, Inc. (“Jive”) located at 325 Lytton Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94303. Jive expressly reserves the right to exclude any person or entity from participation in the Hackathon in the exercise of its sole discretion.
- 2. Eligibility. To participate in the Hackathon, each Participant must first register at community.jivesoftware.com/community/developer. In addition, you must be a registered attendee of JiveWorld16. You must be 18 years of age or older. Employees, officers and directors of Jive, any company providing technical support at the Hackathon for the Submissions (defined below in Section 3) and any prize sponsor, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries and affiliates and their advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies are not eligible to participate in the Hackathon. Immediate family members (parents, step-parents, legal guardians, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses) of such individuals are also not eligible to participate in the Hackathon.
It is your sole responsibility to review your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in this promotion. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Jive disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies.
- 3. How to Participate.
The Hackathon will include a number of developer challenges (“Challenges”) in which Participants complete to be eligible to win prizes. During the Contest Period (defined in Contest Period below), the Hackathon will be held at, and Participants will participate in the Hackathon at, the JiveWorld16 Hacker Lounge (“Hacker Lounge”) at the Aria Resort in Las Vegas. Challenge details and instructions will be distributed and/or posted at the Hacker Lounge.
As Participants complete the Challenges, Participant may be required to submit Challenge-related software submissions (“Submissions”). Submissions will be reviewed to ensure they meet the minimum requirements of the Challenge. Participants will not receive credit for any Challenge until all requirements of the Challenge are completed. Challenges will be administered by Jive and by Built.io and Pebble Technology Corp., under Jive’s auspices. Completion of any Challenge does not guarantee winning; provided that completion of each Challenge may qualify Participant to receive tickets redeemable for prizes (see Tickets and Prizes below)
All coding for Submissions must be done on site at the Hackathon. Any additional requirements concerning Submissions will be provided during the Hackathon. Participants are not allowed to use any code that Participant has written previously but may use non-viral publicly available open source libraries that aid in extending functionality of Participant’s software. Participants must work individually to solve each Challenge. Working in teams or sharing code will disqualify a Participant from a Challenge and from the Contest generally.
In addition to software development, Challenges will include participation in trivia games and select video games and other activities as more specifically detailed at the event.
Challenges will be identified as easy, medium or hard based on level of difficulty. Challenges will be coded with difficulty level at the Hackathon event. Challenges may be modified or changed during the event, in Jive’s discretion.
- 4. Winner Selection. Unless otherwise set forth in these terms, Challenges, Challenge results and Submissions will be judged by Jive Engineering employee staff or other designated Jive representatives.
Challenges by Built.io will be judged by Built.io representatives. Built.io retains complete discretion over the terms of each of its Challenges, the judging criteria and the ultimate award of prizes.
Challenges by Pebble will be judged by Pebble representatives. Pebble retains complete discretion over the terms of each of its Challenges, the judging criteria and the ultimate award of prizes. Pebble will also select the following special winners:
- Pebble shall select, in itsone (1) winner of the “Best Pebble Health App”the app Submission that provides the best Jive + Pebble health data integration based on originality, usefulness and completeness.
- Pebble shall select, in its sole discretion, up to two (2) winners of the “Best Pebble Business App” for the app Submission providing the best business solution using the Pebble watch and Jive.
Jive, in its sole discretion, will select one (1) winner as “Best Hack” for the software-related Challenges based on originality, functionality and completeness.
All winners are subject to validation by Jive and/or the judging organization, whose decisions are final and binding in all respects.
- 5. Tickets and Prizes
Unless otherwise provided herein, Participants successfully completing Hackathon challenges will earn “tickets”, which may be redeemed for prizes determined by Jive, with easy Challenges awarding Participants 100 tickets, medium Challenges awarding 200 tickets, and hard Challenges awarding 500 tickets.
- BONUS TICKETS: In addition to the tickets awarded for completion of each individual Challenge, Participants may earn a bonus of an additional 1000 tickets for completing 10 of the easy Challenges (in Jive Software, Built.io, or Pebble categories), 1000 tickets for completing 8 of the medium Challenges (in Jive Software, Built.io, or Pebble categories), and 1000 tickets for completing 2 of the hard Challenges (in Jive Software, Built.io, or Pebble categories). For clarity, Participants may earn a total bonus ticket award of 3000 tickets for category completion of all of the following: 10 easy, 8 medium, and 2 hard Challenges.
- Participants may earn 400 tickets for playing the JiveWorld16 Tri-hackathon arcade game, and may earn 400 tickets for playing the JiveWorld16 trivia game.
- Participants may earn 500 tickets per day for blogging during the Hackathon about Participant’s experience at the JiveWorld16 Developer Conference in the Jive Community or in Participant’s personal blog.
- Every 1500 tickets earned by Participant may be converted to a value of $20USD in electronically delivered Amazon gift-card with a maximum redeemable value
- Participants may also convert 1000 tickets for one (1) JiveWorld Tri-Hackathon T-Shirt (valued at ~$16USD) one time only, and 100 tickets for Participant’s choice of one (1) of a variety of arcade prizes (i.e. nominal assorted novelty prizes valued each below $5.00).
- More detailed information on the ticket redemption process will be provided at the Hackathon event.
Participants achieving the highest score in a ‘to be designated’ arcade game will earn a $100 Amazon gift card.
The winning trivia player in the JiveWorld16 trivia game (or other designated game) will win a $100 Amazon gift card.
The “Best Hack” winner shall receive 5000 tickets.
Each winner of the “Best Pebble Health App” and “Best Pebble Business App” shall receive the following:
- One (1) Pebble Time product or other product as determined and awarded by Pebble Technology Corp. (estimate prize value of $200).
All prizes will be awarded on Wednesday at the Developer Town Hall session at the Aria Resort in Las Vegas. Attendance is required to win and claim prize. Those not present forfeit their tickets and associated prizes. Tickets and rights to prizes are not transferrable. Each participant may be required to sign and return, when requested, an affidavit of eligibility and prize/publicity release. EACH WINNER MUST BE PRESENT TO ACCEPT PRIZE OR PRIZE MAY BE FORFEITED.
Participants waive the right to assert as a cost of winning any prize, any and all costs of verification and redemption and any liability and publicity which might arise from claiming or seeking to claim said prize. All prize details not specified herein will be determined in Jive’s sole discretion.
No transfers, prize substitutions or cash redemptions will be made, except in Jive’s discretion. Jive reserves the right to substitute the stated prize or portion thereof with another prize or portion thereof of equal or greater value for any reason, including, without limitation, prize unavailability. No more than the stated prize will be awarded. Each winner is strictly prohibited from selling, auctioning, trading or otherwise transferring any part of the prize.
- 4. Release. By entering THE HACKATHon, each Participant agrees that IN NO EVENT WILL Jive, ITS respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, Contest partners, participating advertising and promotion agencies and prize suppliers, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns be responsible or liable for, and, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, PARTICIPANT hereby releaseS THEM from, any and all CLAIMS, ACTIONS, costs, injuries, losses, EXPENSES, damages OR LIABILITY of any kind (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL OR BODILY INJURIES AND/OR DEATH, DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, AND COUNSEL FEES AND COURT COSTS), ARISING, RESULTING, OR DUE, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to THE PRODUCTION, PROMOTION, ADMINISTRATION, EXECUTION OF, OR PARTICIPANT’S participation in the HACKATHON (INCLUDING from Participant’s acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use, NON-USE or misuse of any prize), the HACKATHON AND/OR CONTEST activity; OR CANCELLATION, MODIFICATION OR RESCHEDULING OF ANY ASPECT OF THE HACKATHON. Jive is not responsible FOR any typographical, printing, technical, human or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the HACKATHON or in the announcement of the prize.
- 5. Contest Period. The Hackathon may be terminated by Jive at any time, for any or no reason. The Hackathon is expected to begin at 12:00PM PT March 14, 2016 and end at 3:15M PT on March 16, 2016.
- 6. Tax. Participant understands that Participant is solely responsible for the payment of any applicable federal, state, local and other taxes and fees imposed as a result of winning a prize, in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations, and that the value of the prize will be reported to the IRS if necessary.
- 7. Publicity. Participation in the Hackathon shall constitute and signify Participant’s agreement and consent that Jive and its designees may use Participant’s name, city, state, likeness, and Participant’s submission(s) and/or prize information in connection with the Hackathon for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. Except as expressly provided herein, nothing in the Agreement may be construed as transferring any rights of ownership or license, by implication, estoppel or otherwise, of either party’s products, technology or intellectual property, including but not limited to, such party’s marks.
- 8. Disclaimer of Warranty. Participant certifies and understands that Jive makes no warranties whether express or implied regarding the prizes and that the prizes are provided “as is”. Participant acknowledges and agrees that each Prize is not manufactured or sold by Jive and that possession and use of the prizes is at Participant’s risk.
- 9. Intellectual Property. Participant acknowledges that Jive engages, has engaged and will in the future engage in the development, preparation, production, acquisition and dissemination of applications, programs, technology and other materials (collectively, the “Materials”), including without limitation Materials that are similar or identical to a Submission. Participant also acknowledges that other persons, including employees of Jive, may previously have originated and may hereafter originate Materials that are similar or identical to a Submission. Participant agrees that he/she will not be entitled to any compensation because of the use by Jive of any such similar or identical Material. Without limitation of the foregoing, Jive may use, without any payment or other obligation whatsoever to any Participant, any part of the Materials, and any idea or concept contained therein, that (a) is similar or identical to, or contains significant elements encompassed in, a concept that is under consideration or in development by Jive before or at the time of entry, (b) is not unique, novel, original, and concrete so as to be entitled to protection under applicable laws, (c) has been made public by anyone at the time of its submission to Jive or otherwise is in the public domain, (d) would be freely usable by a third person if it had not been accepted as a Submission or the subject of any agreement, (e) is not protected by United States copyright law, or (f) is similar or identical to, or contains significant elements encompassed in, an idea, concept or material that is independently created by Jive or any third party. Participant agrees that Jive’s development, preparation, production, acquisition, dissemination and/or exploitation of Materials similar or identical to a Submission or containing features, ideas, material and/or elements similar to or identical with those contained in a Submission shall not entitle any Participant to any compensation or other right or remedy. As an inducement to Jive to accept each Submission for entry into the contest, Participant hereby waives any claim or right of action against Jive or its successors in connection with the Jive’s use of any Materials (or any portions thereof) whether or not such Materials are similar or identical to a Submission or contain any features, ideas, material and/or elements that are similar or identical to those contained in a Submission. Acceptance by of a Submission is not an admission by Jive of the novelty or originality of the Submission.
- 10. Additional Contest Rules. Participant authorizes Jive to use his/her name, voice, likeness, biographical data, city and state of residence and entry materials in programming or promotional material, worldwide in perpetuity, or on a winner's list, if applicable, without further compensation unless prohibited by law. Jive is not obligated to use any of the above mentioned information or materials, but may do so and may edit such information or materials, at Jive’s sole discretion, without further obligation or compensation. Jive shall not be liable for: late, lost, delayed, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries, communications or submissions; (ii) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by participation in this Hackathon or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of a prize; or (v) any printing, typographical, administrative or technological errors in any materials associated with the Hackathon. Jive disclaims any liability for damage to any electronic device resulting from participating in, or accessing, uploading or downloading information, Jive API(s) in connection with this Hackathon, and Jive reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Hackathon should a virus, bug, computer or phone problem, unauthorized intervention or other causes beyond Jive's control, corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Hackathon. Jive may prohibit certain Participants from participating in the Hackathon or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that a Participant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Hackathon by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices of intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other participants or Jive representatives. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE HACKATHON MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHALL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, JIVE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY’S FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
- 11. Assignment. The Participant may not assign or transfer any of its rights under this Agreement to any third person or entity without the consent of Jive.
- 12. Governing law. This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of California, and Participant further consents to jurisdiction and venue in the federal courts sitting in Santa Clara County, California. If either Jive or Participant employs attorneys to enforce any rights arising out of or relating to this Agreement, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover reasonable attorneys' fees.