Online Learning Program Development Plan

Version 1

Hello, hello Learning and Development group! As I promised in the comment section of "Long time listener. First time caller" where we took off with a great conversation about learning and how we can make it even better and more effective at a more advanced level for Jive users (I'm shying away from saying "community managers" since we are hoping to also include other important roles as well). You all had great input and I'd like to use this document as a place for everyone to jump in and brainstorm ideas on how we can develop this online learning program that is most beneficial to you. Libby Taylor and I are both ready to take this project on guns blazing and we want to make sure it is successful and helpful.

The idea of using user groups and/or JiveWorld as a way to deliver deeper learning came up, but I would like to – for now – focus on what the program itself would include rather than where it would take place. We are seriously thinking about an online program that we can run more consistently so we can reach a broader audience. Whether it is open enrollment, held multiple times a year or as one-off classes is still to be determined. It would probably be best to see how this starts to take shape first.

To get us started, I tried to pull ideas and suggestions you brought up in the comment section of the "Long time listener. First time caller" discussion (apologies if I missed any) and categorized them here. Please feel free to start building on this framework. I want to emphasize that I am no expert in learning, nor in community management (yet!), so I'm only regurgitating what has come up in comments and this is by no means set in stone or reflect where we are heading with this program at this point in time. Please do not hold back - jump in and start throwing out those ideas and framework suggestions!

The categories are broken down into Learning Method, Approach / Targeted Ability Level, Topics / Program Curriculum.  Please feel free to add to these categories or change the names!  This is meant to be a group exercise. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling in the right direction

Thank you all for helping out!!

Learning MethodProsConsNotes
    Discussion-based (for better deep dive opportunities)

Online learning

Live sessions
    Certification

Dedicated forum

Approach / Targeted Ability Level
    ProsCons

Notes

"Master Level" (Technical? Strategy?)Who gets in? What is considered "Master"?

Based upon experience level

Based upon roadmap vision
    Based upon maturity of community

By topic

“provide reading materials and actually tie the concepts into how to be a more effective community manager” ~ Tracy Maurer

Reverse mentoring (longer action learning/problem-based learning program)

“Instead of just talking theory, the design would be to work on actual org opportunities and to have the execs bring their perspective and the community professionals bring their perspective. The program design would involve each group helping the other develop skills that come naturally to them and we'd throw in some brilliant minds to help both groups with org change, design thinking, adult learning principles, etc.” ~ Keeley Sorokti

Include a university presence“having a university professor talking about the SNA behind the tools that Jive is developing caused me to think more about how I could use the information than about the specifics of the product” ~ Dennis Pearce

Topics / Program CurriculumPros
    ConsNotes

"How" over "what"

(in reference to JiveWorld17) “the sessions where people said "How" they did it and not just "What" they did were the most valuable”

~ Patty McEnaney

Strategy “understanding that community isn't about technology. Jive does a great job of building a great technology support structure for community, but there are "people" nuts and bolts that are much more important to understand in order to be successful. ~ Tracy Maurer
    Design Thinking
    Organization Change Management (OCM)
    Social Network Analysis to influence improvements in a community of practice
    After action reviews to help iterate on space design
    Concept mapping to help lay out how many subspaces might be needed under a top-level space
    Mapping framework

work with a team on using APQC's knowledge mapping framework to figure out which knowledge created in various parts of the community needs to be aggregated and visible in another part in order to resolve support issues more quickly

Techniquefor analysis / reflection

Overall Issues / ConcernsNotes

everyone will have to 'choose their own adventure' in terms of what they want to learn and how ~ Rachel.Happe

So how can we build a program that is tailored just enough without being too specific? Do we need several different program types?

Thank you Frank Pathyil, Christina Zurkawicz, Claire Flanagan, Tracy Maurer, Patty McEnaney, Jeff Merrell, Keeley Sorokti, Shaun Slattery, danthomas, Rachel.Happe, Barbara Giannini, Dennis Pearce for chiming into the conversation!