Jive for Outlook gives email a social life. By bringing the social business power of Jive directly into Microsoft Outlook, we make it possible to collaborate in a new way, without ever leaving Outlook.
With Jive for Outlook you can:
- See activity streams and social profiles, and create threaded discussions and status updates
- Search across Jive & Outlook to find emails, appointments, documents and discussions from one, quick search
- Comment on, like, reply to, or share the activity you've been notified of with other colleagues
- Load information about a colleague or place by clicking their name
- Turn email threads and document attachments into collaborative posts in Jive
...and do it all from Outlook.
Installing and Connecting
- When a pop-up box like this one comes up, your community URL should already be listed.
- Simply add in your JiveWorks username and password and click OK.
- If you don't see this pop-up, click the Accounts button which should now appear in the new Jive section of your Outlook menu bar.
Post new content into JiveWorks directly from Outlook
You can create a discussion, private discussion, status update or direct message in your community without leaving Outlook.
- Click Create and select Discussion, Private Discussion, Status Update or Direct Message. Outlook will open a new email window.
- Fill out the information requested such as Participants, Recipients or an additional message to include.
- Click Post.
Convert email threads into JiveWorks discussions
Using Jive for Outlook, you can post an email conversation into the community so that people can more easily collaborate on the topic. You can choose where the discussion is posted and who can see it. It's posted by you 'on behalf of' the author, so there's no confusion about who wrote the message.
- In Outlook, select an email you want to convert to a discussion. Your discussion will include the email you select plus all the levels above it.
- Right-click and select Convert to discussion or click Convert to Discussion in the Jive section of the Outlook toolbar. A new email window will open. This email window controls the way your discussion will be posted.
- The Post By field allows you to pick which community you want the discussion posted to assuming you are connected to multiple Jive instances. Depending on which community you select, Post By will consequently change the options available for the Post To field.
- In the Post To field, choose where the discussion should be posted. You can select one of the suggested spaces, groups, or projects, or type in the field to bring up a list of matching places. Keep in mind that the place where you post the discussion determines who can see and respond to it.
- If you select the Mark This Discussion As a Question check box, you can mark responses as correct or helpful.
- If you want participants in the email thread who are not community members to receive an email notification that the thread has been converted to a discussion, select the Notify external participants check box.
- Optionally, add a comment to the discussion by typing it in the message box of the email.
See more context about colleagues in your inbox
When you receive an email from a colleague who is a member of JiveWorks, you can see more context about them including their profile information and what they've been working on recently in the community, in the social bar. You can choose to have a maximized or mini social bar.
When you're using Outlook with the reading pane open, you can choose a three-pane view with a maximized social bar in its own pane, and a two-pane view with a mini-social bar showing social information in a more collapsed form. Click maximize at the right of the social pane to get the full social bar. Clicking the tiny triangle just to the top left of the user's profile photo gets you the mini-social bar view (Mini-social bar is not available unless you have the reading pane open).