UNC Link SBS Plugin

Summary

Tired of having to copy/paste Network File Share paths (a.k.a. UNC paths)...or better yet...messing with those (file://) links...that work in IE, Firefox, Chrome...but only in one at a time...given that you have to change the syntax all the time?  Well, with this simple plugin, and some help from your IT organization, you can configure SBS to allow one-click access to these files.

Note: Because this plugin is currently just a Filter that generates a URL, it delegates all security to the external service.

Official plugin of Plugins by ryanrutan

Requirements

• An external service capable of mapping URLs to CIFS resources
      • Examples of such solutions include Davenport and IntegraTUM Web-Disk, both are easy to setup in minutes (especially Davenport) and can have up and running in no-time.

Plugin Support

This plugin IS NOT supported by Jive, and use of this plugin should be done at the user's discretion, or as advised by their Jive Support representative.

Copyright and License

Copyright 2012 Ryan Rutan under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License athttp://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License

Getting Started

Using the OOTB filter, UNC paths will only work when they are listed on a line by themselves.  This has to do with the fact that UNC paths can have spaces, and this makes it hard to know where to start/stop when reading the file.  To prevent creating a nasty syntax, I decided to make it as copy/paste friendly as possible.

So to get started (after you've configured the plugin), simply paste in UNC path into a document...on a line by itself...Save and you should be good to go.

Note:  In Jive 5+, if you bold/italics/underline/color the UNC path in the middle of text, the default XPath will pick it up, allowing you to put multiple UNC paths in a block of text (if desired)

Installation

Plugin install through Admin Console.

To Activate, you will need to define the uncLink.filters.UncFilter.url.pattern System Property in the Admin Console, see Configurations section (below):

Configurations

PropertyValue
    uncLink.filters.UncFilter.url.pattern
    • Format:  Any valid URL, with a {path} placeholder for the Filter to place in the converted UNC path

• Example:  http://files.yourdomain.com/{path}
    • Default:  Undefined (Filter will not Work without a value)
    uncLink.filters.UncFilter.url.target
    • The value for the HTML target attribute that will be used in the generated Anchor Tag
    • Example:  "abc" will result in <a target="abc" ...>
    • Default: "unc"
    uncLink.filters.UncFilter.url.class
    • The value for the HTML class attribute that will be used in the generated Anchor Tag
    • Example: "my-class" will result in <a class="my-class" ...>
    • Default: "unc-link"
    uncLink.filters.UncFilter.url.escape
    • true/false - whether or not to URL escape the URL generated for the resources. Some systems do not like %20 or raw spaces, or vice versa.
    • Default: false
    uncLink.filters.UncFilter.xpath
    • The XPath expression used to detect UNC links in Body Content.
    • Default: //*[starts-with(text(),'"\\"')]

Next Features

The following are a list of features I know I want to put into the  plugin.  If interested, please suggest features and demands, but please  note that this is a less than 5% of my time effort, so probably wont  have much to deliver above my "Next Features" for a while.

1. Interface to defined allowed/disallowed UNC names, currently service will render link to any path it detects (no validation)
    2. Embedded CIFS Server to Resolve URLs with-out external service dependency
      1. Currently evaluating Davenport  as a possible candidate for embedding