Brief Introduction to the Analytics Module

Why Use the Analytics Module?

Jive Analytics records user activities.  With the Analytics Module, you can generate graphs and reports to look at the trends over time.  This will give you insight into how many people are creating content, participating in groups, and creating network connections.   Analytics does not keep track of static content; exact counts of current content within Jive are best found in the application database.

Installing the Analytics Module

When you purchase the Analytics Module, Jive will create an installation case in your support group.  You will need to respond to the case providing certain information.  Jive will finish the set-up when your site is live and has generated enough analytics data to test all of the reports.

Logging into Business Objects OnDemand

When the installation is complete, you will receive an email with your log-in credentials.  If you don’t receive the email or forget your password, go to bi.ondemand.com, click the “I forgot my password” link, and enter the email address you originally provided.  This will allow you to set up a password.

Navigating Within OnDemand

The left side bar has several different spaces where you can view and create reports.

• My Stuff – This directory is your development environment.  You can create reports here that no other user can see. When you are finished designing a report and want to share it, just right-click on its title.
    • Shared – If another user shares a report with you (by right clicking on the report title and selecting ‘share’) it will appear here.  You can now work on the report collaboratively.
    • My Organization > My Company – This directory is where reports appear when you publish them (by right clicking on the title and selecting ‘Publish.’)  Here, everyone in your organization can view and refresh your report.

Creating a New Report

Navigate to your “My Stuff > Reports” directory.  Clicking the green “Add New” button will give you the option to “create report.”  Selecting this will bring you to the edit query panel.

The edit query panel has two panes that you can drag items into: Result Objects and Query Filters.  The Result Objects are the elements that you will see in the report, while the Query Filters limit your query.  For example, I could pull “Activity Count,” “Activity Date,” and “Member” into the Result Objects pane to see a report listing these counts.  Then I could add the “30 Days History” filter to the Query Filters section to see only the past 30 days worth of data.

When you are finished writing the query, click the “Run Query” button in the upper right hand corner.  From here, you can edit the query again, save it, etc.

Scheduling Data to Refresh

If a report is very slow to refresh, this may be because of the way the underlying SQL queries the database.  In this case, you can schedule it to run while you are not online.  Navigate to the folder that the report is in and right-click on the report’s name.  There should be a menu with the items “Schedule” “History” and “View Latest Instance.”

Select “Schedule” to refresh the report when you aren’t online. “History” will show you whether the scheduled refresh succeeded.  “View Latest Instance” will show you the latest refreshed copy.

Guest Users

In analytics, any guest user will be recorded as user_id = -1.  This includes both users that are not logged in and web crawlers.  There is a filter in the edit query panel that will exclude guest users from reports if selected.

For more information, see the documentation inside your Business Objects instance under Jive Reports > Documentation.  Some answers to frequently asked questions can be found here:  https://community.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-30269.