Creating New Groups
Groups are areas where like-minded people can work together and share information on the group subject. You can join existing groups or create your own and invite people. Four different levels of privacy allow you to choose who can view and contribute to a group. This page discusses how to create new groups.
Before you create a new group, consider the purpose of the group and how you can attract members who will participate regularly. The way you name the group and the tags you assign it are ways you can make it easy to find for those who are interested in it.
- When creating a new group, choose between the four different privacy levels to determine who has access to view and contribute to your content.
- Open groups are open to anyone to join. Anyone in your community can view and comment on content in Open groups without becoming a member. Open groups appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Members Only groups allow anyone to view content within them. You must be invited by the group owner or by another member of the group, or you must click the Join this group button on the group page. Members Only groups also appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Private groups are groups where only members can create, view, or comment on content. You must be invited by the group owner or by another member of the group, or you must click the Ask to join this group button on the group page. The group owner must approve requests to join Private groups before you have access to the content. Private groups appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Secret groups are completely secret. Only the members of the group know they exist. You must invite people to join your Secret group or be invited to join. Secret groups do not appear when searched or browsed for.
- To create a new group click Create > Group. (Group appears under the Places tab.)
- Fill in the details of the group in the required and optional fields.
- Select a Group Type based on the sensitivity of your content by clicking one of the group type radio buttons. Keep your group as open as possible to encourage people to contribute.
- Choose which features you’d like your group to have by clicking the checkboxes next to the different features.
- Click the Create group button.
- On the Group Created page, click the group Homepage link.
- You can use Widgets to customize the way your content is organized.
- The tabs across the top provide easy access to the content, people, and projects in your group.
- The Manage drop-down menu allows you to manage the group and its contents. It’s a good idea to allow at least one other person to be an administrator of your group in case you are periodically unable to administer it. After people have joined your group, click the Manage link in the Manage drop-down menu. Click the checkbox next to the member or members whose privileges you’d like to change. Select Change Role to Administrator from the Modify Selected dropdown menu.
- The Actions box provides you with options to add content to your page and invite people to join.