Joining Existing Groups
Groups are areas where people can work together and share information on the group subject. You can join existing groups or create your own and invite people. Four different levels of privacy allow you to choose who can view and comment on the contents of a group. This page discusses how to join existing groups.
- When joining an existing group, you'll see that there are four different privacy levels to determine who has access to view and contribute to the content of that group.
- Open groups are open to anyone to join. Anyone in your community can view and comment on content in Open groups without becoming a member. Open groups appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Members Only groups allow anyone to view content within them. You must be invited by the group owner or by another member of the group, or you must click the Join this group button on the group page. Members Only groups also appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Private groups are groups where only members can create, view, or comment on content. You must be invited by the group owner or by another member of the group, or you must click the Ask to join this group button on the group page. The group owner must approve requests to join Private groups before you have access to the content. Private groups appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Secret groups are completely secret. Only the members of the group know they exist. You must be invited to join a Secret group. Secret groups do not appear when searched or browsed for.
- To join an existing Open, Members Only, or Private group, type a group name in the Search field to find a group you already know about or Browse to find a group you'd like to join. In a Members Only or Private group, click the Join this group button. The owner of a Private group will need to approve your request.
- If you're invited to join a group, you'll see a number indicating that there is something that needs your attention on your What Matters: Actions icon. Click the What Matters: Actions icon to go to your What Matters: Actions page. The number of actions you need to take appears on the tabs across the top of the page. Click the Action Alerts tab, then click Accept to accept the invitation to join the group. The alert is removed from your Actions Alerts screen.