To configure proxy server settings for Jive, you normally set system properties. However, EAE doesn't use those system properties, instead you have to do these steps so that EAE can talk to the Recommender via a proxy server.
Instructions for Jive 7 or newer
Jive 7 introduced the "Jive CLI interface", which is a command line tool that lets you configure your various Jive applications from a single tool.
Connecting to the Recommender service requires setting JVM properties as well after you complete the Activity Engine installation. To set them in Jive 7 or newer:
- log into the EAE server as the jive user
- run jive set eae.custom_jvm_args "-Dhttp.proxyHost=webproxy_address -Dhttp.proxyPort=webproxy_port -Dhttp.proxyUser=webproxy_user -Dhttp.proxyPassword=webproxy_pwd"
- For example: jive set eae.custom_jvm_args "-Dhttp.proxyHost=webproxy.eng.jiveland.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=3128 -Dhttp.proxyUser=jive -Dhttp.proxyPassword=jive"
- If the system is NOT the production instance go to System > Management > System Properties and set the system property jive.eae.instance.type to the value 2.
- Restart the Activity Engine instance and the application servers.
NOTE: The user and password options are required. If your proxy does not use user and password, include the options with blank values, e.g. -Dhttp.proxyUser= -Dhttp.proxyPassword=
Instructions for Jive 6 or earlier
1. Modify start.sh in /usr/local/jive/services/eae-service/bin/ to add the following java args to the service invocation:
-Dhttp.proxyHost=<webproxy_address> -Dhttp.proxyPort=<webproxy_port> -Dhttp.proxyUser=<webproxy_user> -Dhttp.proxyPassword=<webproxy_pwd>
-Dhttp.proxyHost=webproxy.eng.jiveland.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=3128 -Dhttp.proxyUser=jive -Dhttp.proxyPassword=jive
NOTE: The user and password options are required. If your proxy does not use user and password, include the options with blank values.
2. If the system is NOT the production instance go to the admin console in the app server set the system property "jive.eae.instance.type" to the value "2"
3. Restart the EAE instance and the application servers