Jive Mobile On-Premise Plugin
This is an alternative plugin which can be used with your on-premise Jive instance. Please note that on-premise Jive customers can still use the standard Jive Mobile plugin, which has the advantage of more rapid feature updates, as it is not tied to the on-premise release cycle. Furthermore, the standard plugin is compatible with the native Jive mobile applications whereas when deployed fully on-premise, the application runs solely in the browser of the supported devices.
Notable Differences from Standard (SaaS) Jive Mobile Plugin
- On-prem mobile only provides mobile web access, and does not work with Jive native apps for iPhone and Android.
- When connecting to on-prem mobile, users log in via the same login page as they use to access Jive from the desktop, not the mobile login or activation page. This is done intentionally, to provide maximum flexibility working with SSO integrations.
- For Jive 5, on-prem mobile is NOT compatible with Jive communities which allow for guest access. It is intended for internal, gated, on-premise communities only.
- The plugin for Jive 6 however does support guest access.
- The Jive Mobile on-prem plugin is available for Jive 5 and Jive 6.
- The minimum Jive 5 version is 5.0.1. Jive 5 users should use version 5.0.4 of the on-prem plugin.
- The minimum Jive 6 version is 6.0.1. Jive 6 users should user version 6.0.6 of the on-prem plugin
- The Jive instance must be licensed for the Mobile2 module, just as for the standard Jive Mobile plugin.
- The supported devices and browsers are the same as for standard Jive Mobile.
- NOTE: There is no additional hardware requirement -- Jive Mobile on-prem is a plugin and does not include a mobile gateway component
- Make sure your Jive instance is licensed for the Mobile2 module. Contact your Jive account support representative for assistance with licensing.
- For Jive 5, enable Core API access in the Admin Console (System > Settings > Web Services). Jive 6 has this setting configured automatically.
- If you site uses SSO, you must configure it such that requests to /api/* do not get automatically redirected to the IdP/SSO login page, as the mobile client requires standard Core API responses to indicate the authentication state, not customized error responses from the SSO system.
- Install the attached mobile plugin.
- Note: Installing this plugin will replace any other version of the Jive Mobile plugin, including the SaaS-based version.
- Restart Jive.
MySQL Installation Notes
The default MySQL installation limits storage of binary objects to 1MB. This is insufficient for installation of the Jive Mobile on-prem plugin in Jive. If you encounter problems installing the Jive Mobile on-prem plugin, configure MySQL's max_allowed_packet value to 10M. (Older versions of MySQL may use the variable max_long_data_size. Please consult the documentation for the version of MySQL you are using with Jive). MySQL will require a restart after this change.
After the plugin is successfully installed, you should have a Mobile tab in your admin console.From the Mobile tab:
- Next to Mobile Client Redirect, choose Enable mobile client redirection
- If you would like to use the iPad-optimized app, then next to Tablet Client Redirect, choose Enable tablet client redirection
- Save changes
Once you have made any configuration changes you would like, you can browse Jive with either (1) a mobile device/tablet or (2) Safari or Chrome that is configured to present a mobile device user agent. Those requests will be automatically redirected to the mobile version of Jive. This most accurately simulates how typical users will reach Jive Mobile.If you prefer to test without the redirector, you can point your supported WebKit browser (on desktop or a mobile device) to http://your_jive_url/mobile/mobile-access.jspa
Jive Mobile's Data Footprint (applicable to both the standard and on-premise plugin)
All Jive instance data is accessed via the Core API. The Core API sets the following Cache-Control headers on content:
- Cache-Control:no-cache, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, private, max-age=0
- Mentioned users
- Places used when posting discussions
The client does not cache the bodies of content posted by users.
The web browser might also cache search queries. Saved search queries are not visible to the Jive Mobile client.