The outline below provides a master reference for the various documents associated with App development contained in this space. The reference follows the flow from getting started, to setting up your environment and submitting apps. All the documents available in the Jive Developers that deal with Apps development are referenced here.
- Getting Started
- I want to build an app, what next?
- OK, I'm all set up. What next? Go Build an App!
- My App is completed. What now? Test what you've built!
- OK. Testing Completed. Everything looks good. I think I'm ready. Submit your app for review!
Whether you want to dive right in to App development, get perspective on the Market, or learn about the Jive SDK, the following documents will provide you what you need to get started.
Need an overview on building a social app, or an understanding of the Jive Apps framework before jumping completely in? The following should help:
I want to build an app, what next?
Determine. Your. Audience. This is the differentiating factor in determining which of the two main development paths you follow below, either: Internal Deployment or Commercial Deployment
Internal Deployent: I want to build an app for use by other users in my Jive instance only
For this case, use the Dev Console App to develop, test, and deploy your app. Detailed instructions are contained within the app itself, but the following provides a summary:
Coming Soon - Developing Apps Using the Jive SDK
For users choosing app development for internal deployment, here are some special notes on caching during development and hosting apps locally:
The above items tell you how to use the Dev Console App to test and deploy within your local Jive instance. However, you ultimately are going to need details on how to build an App that takes advantage of the Jive platform. For specifics on App Development, see the section below: "Elements of Building Apps".
Commercial Deployment: I want to build an app to offer to all Jive instances.
For more information on how to build a commercial deployment, see the following documents
As a vendor providing an App for commercial deployment to enterprise customers, you should read and familiarize yourself with the Jive App Development Guidelines (Jive Apps Development Guidelines) to understand what types of apps are acceptable.
OK, I'm all set up. What next? Go Build an App!
See the section below, "Elements of Building Apps".
My App is completed. What now? Test what you've built!
Coming Soon: Jive Add-On Submission Checklist
OK. Testing Completed. Everything looks good. I think I'm ready. Submit your app for review!
Coming Soon: How to Submit / Update Your Jive Add-On
If there are any topics not covered, post a question in the Developer Community and we'll be sure to add a topic to the list.
- What is a Jive App? Jive Apps Framework FAQ
- Development UI Guidelines App Developer UI Guidelines & Best Practices
- Jive App Tutorial - Elements of Building an App (remove references to all the one-time environment setup stuff)Jive Apps Basics Tutorial for Jive 5.x
- Creating a Basic "Hello World" App
- Jive Connects API
- Accessing data via Jive Connects API
- How a customer admin will set up a Jive Connects Service
- Jive Connects - Defining a Service
- Jive Connects API - Client Application Configuration and API Usage
- Jive Connects Service Tags
- Jive Connects Error Codes
- Debugging Jive Connects Communications Issues
- Understanding 401 Responses in Jive Connects
- Salesforce Via Jive Connects
- OpenSocial API Using the OpenSocial API
- Jive Core API Using the Jive Core API
- Using the Jive Application Gateway API
- Jive Apps: Actions in RTE
- Understanding App Selection and Embedded Context Reference
- Programmatic Creation of App Artifacts
- Authentication: OAuth
- HTML Style App Artifact
- Using the Alternate Experience URL
- Building better examples...
- Example: Using the OSAPI Jive Core V3 Picker Reference
- Valid paths for action contributions
- jQuery UI Theme for Jive
- Using data pipelining and/or templates? Make sure to add namespace to script tags...
- Understanding Jive Resource Links
- App Throttling - Configuration and Mechanics
- Using the Jive Activity API: How to create activities, notifications and actions from your app
- Understanding Application Features
- How to send a message to the Jive apps gateway from a .Net application
- Relative URLs in Apps
- Binary Data Storage Usage
Here are some links you can use as references for creating Jive apps.
Jive Core API Docs
OpenSocial wiki (currently being migrated)