Version 2

It had been quite a while since I had thought of running a local copy of Jive6 on my machine. Today happened to be The Day!

Prerequisites:

If you have been running an older version of Jive, you have what you need already.

1.     A powerful machine(I did my setup on a Lenovo T410 with Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB RAM, on a 64 bit Windows 7 OS)

2.     A database server: Unless you are totally new to Jive, you would already have a database server installed and available. Mine is PostgresSQL 9.0.

3.     Java. Well, quintessential isn't it. I've got Java 6 build 27. Just got to know, Oracle is going to stop updating Java 6 after Feb 2013.

4.     Apache Tomcat. I was able to get it running with apache-tomcat-6.0.33

5.     Apache Maven. My existing installation and configuration of Maven were sufficient.

6.     Jive6 repo access and license.

7.     Setup / Installation of each of the items from 2 to 5. There are Environment variables to be set and the maven settings.xml to be modified.

8.     Access to Internet

The Cooking Process:

1.     First create two Databases on the Postgres server, one for Jive core and the other for Jive eae.

2.     Choose a directory of your liking and run the maven archetype command to generate the skeleton structure of the project. Remenber that there are number of variations in the command, for Jive6. Go check Jive 6 has been released ... so what's that Maven jive.version again?

3.     An issue I faced was while using mvn archetype:create. This is deprecated and one should use mvn archetype:generate instead.

4.     Open the newly created directory in Command prompt and run the golden mvn clean package command. This would download all dependencies required to build the application. Only runtime dependencies remain.

5.     Assuming that you made it so far, navigate to the web folder.

6.     Execute the command provided in the eae-start file. This should bootstrap the eae service.

7.     In a new command shell, navigate to the web folder and execute the command in cargo-start file. This will finally download all dependencies and start up the application(hope you did the tomcat configuration in setings.xml). When I first executed the command, I got database connection exception.

8.     In the jiveHome directory, mark the setup element as false and restart the jive instance using the cargo command again.

9.     Assuming that your local instance is running at port 8080, open the application at http://localhost:8080.

10.    Run through the setup steps and restart once done.

11.    Congratulations on having your local setup done!

References:

Jive documentation

Ryan Rutan's and Benjamin Chiad's comments in Jive 6 has been released ... so what's that Maven jive.version again?