This document will go over the process for migrating from an On-Premise to Hosted or Jive-n/Jive-x instance, and provide you with all the general details you need to know before beginning. Please read through this document carefully and in its entirety; it outlines in detail what the process is, what you can expect, when you can expect it, and what we expect from you.
The first step is to understand the critical pieces of information that are required by Jive to begin the process. Once a migration case is created we will ask you for the following information:
- Cutover Date
- If you have a specific constraint regarding the cutover date, it is critical to communicate this at the start of the process so we can make sure our expectations are aligned with yours.
- Data Transfer Method
- You will need to determine the method of transfer for your data. Our preference is for you to provide an SFTP location for us to download your data from.
The On-Premise to Hosted or Jive-n/x migration process is fairly straight forward:
- Jive Hosting will request a transfer of your Postgres database.
- We will then schedule and perform a Test-Run of the migration process on your new hosted instance.
- Once the Test-Run has been completed we will schedule a final Go-Live of your Hosted site.
- Migrations are performed by Jive Hosting during the following hours: Monday thru Friday from 1am to 6pm PT. Some flexibility may be available based on the Hosting team's discretion.
- The entire process can take anywhere from 90 minutes to several hours or more, depending on the database size. Most communities are within a 2-6 hour range.
- Once a Test-Run of your migration is completed, we will coordinate the timing of the Go-Live with you. We typically require 2-4 weeks notice to secure a preferred time slot for the Go-Live.
Requirements and Considerations
Below are the requirements and considerations to take into account when planning an On-Premise to Hosted migration. Please review and address any applicable items.
|Binary Content||This needs to be included in the database or split into binstore files.|
|Static Resources||Any administrator-modified files in the application directory structure.|
|Encryption Keys or SAML Data||This is kept in the binstore, so it should be included in either your database dump or the split binstore files (if applicable).|
|Quickly Transferring Data to Jive|
|Supported Transfer Methods|
|Expected Transfer Speeds||Transfer speeds are dependent upon client's upload speed. Rates are determined during the initial Test Run process of the migration.|
|Configuration Items or Specific Functionality That Can Cause Issues|
Any type of access restrictions such as Basic Auth, or IP restrictions (Unsupported in Jive-n and Jive-x).