Related Containers

Update (12/01/2009)

The related containers plugin has been made available for SBS 4.0 and the source is now freely available from our plugins repository:

Summary

Have you ever wished there was an easy way to relate spaces to groups and vice versa?  The related containers plugin makes this possible!

Some customers have been doing this by adding HTML or Formatted Text Widgets to their group or space's overview page, but this limits you to a static view and can lead to an inconsistent user experience (different people accomplish the same task different ways).  The Related Containers plugin seeks to avoid those inconsistencies and provides an easy way to link containers while adding a bit of dynamic information about the activity within those containers.

Screenshots

Screen shot 2009-10-30 at 2.42.57 PM.png

Screen shot 2009-10-30 at 2.43.19 PM.png

Where do I get the ID for my Group or Space?

The widgets take in a comma-delimited list of IDs in order to determine which related container(s) should be displayed.  To obtain this ID, the simplest thing to do is to navigate to the space or group that you want to include and hover your mouse over the link to start a new discussion.  When you hover over the link, the bottom of the browser should show you the ID.  Look for "container=<number>" in the ouput.  The value for <number> is what you will place in the widget.

In the example below, you'd use a value of 2003.

Screen shot 2009-10-30 at 3.07.14 PM.png

Support

This is not an official, Jive supported plugin, so please do not contact Jive for any issues you experience with the plugin.  If you experience issues with this plugin, please leave me a comment on this page or message me on Twitter at @austrum.