FAQ: Configuring and Troubleshooting Email Integration

Version 33

Watch Emails

How do I configure the default watch email preferences in Jive 4.0 & 4.5?

Set these system properties:

• Blogposts: watches.defaultAutoWatch.blogpost
    • Documents: watches.defaultAutoWatch.document
    • Bookmarks: watches.defaultAutoWatch.bookmark
    • Discussion replied to: watches.defaultAutoWatch.message
    • Discussion created: watches.defaultAutoWatch.thread
    • Videos: watches.defaultAutoWatch.video

How do I configure the default watch email preferences in Jive 5.0.x+?

Starting in Jive 5.0.2 it is possible to set the default preferences that all users will inherit until they explicitly override them. However, with Jive 6.0 during registration or upgrade, all users will have an entry in the jivewatchsettings table. This means that in 6.0, it is only possible to set a default email preference for new users. Please pay careful attention to the three tables below as the settings will differ between each instance type (Public vs. Employee) and scenario (newly installed vs. upgraded). If you are unsure of your instance type, check the "Jive SBS" entitlement name on the License Overview page in the admin console (admin/license.jspa).

For the boolean values below a value of true indicates that email notifications will be delivered by default for that category for all users.

ALL SBS Public instances

boolean (default: true)Communications page preference

boolean (default: true)

Notifications in my actions page preference

Note: No longer relevant in 7.0+

Action alerts in my actions page preference

boolean (default: true)Moderation alerts in my actions page preference
    notify.direct.social.actions.external.default.preferenceboolean (default: true)Direct Social Actions preference

digest(2) (default)

Followed activity (digest email)

boolean (default: false)

Note: Only available in 6.0.2 and newer

Connections Stream

NEWLY INSTALLED SBS Employee instances

notify.communications.internal.new.default.preferenceboolean (default: false)Communications page preference
    notify.action.alerts.notifications.internal.new.default.preferenceboolean (default: false)Notifications in my actions page preference

boolean (default: false)Moderation alerts in my actions page preference
    notify.direct.social.actions.internal.default.preferenceboolean (default: true)Direct Social Actions preference

digest(2) (default)

Connections Stream

UPGRADED SBS Employee Instances (from a previous major version, i.e. 4.5)

notify.communications.internal.upgraded.default.preferenceboolean (default: true)Communications page preference
    notify.action.alerts.notifications.internal.upgraded.default.preferenceboolean (default: true)Notifications in my actions page preference

boolean (default: false)Moderation alerts in my actions page preference

notify.direct.social.actions.internal.default.preferenceboolean (default: true)Direct Social Actions preference

digest(2) (default)

Connections Stream

When do Task notifications get sent?

Email notifications for tasks are sent every day at 7 AM. This value is configurable by system property. Just set:

jive.task.due.sendHour = x 

where x is the hour of the day that you would like these emails to be delivered (24 hour clock). All tasks that are overdue, or due today or tomorrow are included in this email.

Can I disable watch email templates?

Yes. In versions prior to 5.0 the only way to disable a template is to "break" it by adding some invalid syntax. For example, add the invalid Freemarker variable ${notValid} to the subject or body of the template you wish to disable. Please note that this will output errors to the logs, but you can use the class level logging overrides to mute this logging.

In versions 5.0 and greater, find the template's "key" by viewing the template's edit page in the admin console and taking note of the string after the template= attribute in the URL. For example, the Blog Watch template's key can be seen in the URL /admin/message-templates.jsp?action=edit&template=watches.email.blog. The key is watches.email.blog. You can then set a system property that toggles this template as enabled or disabled by appending template.enabled to the end of the key:

watches.email.blog.template.enabled = false

Note that this property syntax only works for content and container notifications but does not work for people related  (ie: user x is now following you) notifications.

Custom 'Email Watches' Stream in Jive 6 and newer

In Jive 4.5 and 5 there was a feature where users can select to "Receive email notifications" for specific pieces of content.

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 4.36.26 PM.png

In Jive 6 and later, this functionality was redesigned to make use of Custom Streams.  Instead of users being able to click a "Receieve email notifications" link, users are now meant to follow that piece of content in a custom stream, which they can then configure in their Preferences to receive emails for.

If your Jive site was upgraded from Jive 5 or earlier to Jive 6 or newer, then users who previously elected to "Receive email notifications" for certain pieces of content will now find that they have a new "Email Watches" stream automatically created for them.  Any previously selected pieces of content that triggered email notifications in the old version of Jive will instead belong to this stream in the new version of Jive, which will now trigger email notifications.

Digest Emails

How do I disable digest emails?

To disable the weekly digest emails, set the system property:

jive.digest.enabled = false

How do I configure the timing and frequency of digest email delivery?

The following system properties control digest email delivery settings:

jive.digest.email.sendHour0-234.0Specify the hour at which the digest email should be delivered. Defaults to 9.

Default frequency at which the digest email should be delivered.

0 = never,  1 = weekly (defaults to Thursday),  2 = semi-weekly (Tuesday & Friday),  3 = daily

Defaults to 1

When jive.digest.frequency is set to 1, this sets the day of the week it will be sent on.

1 = Sunday, 2 = Monday,... 7 = Saturday

Defaults to 5 (Thursday)

Email Visibility

See this document: Name and Email Visibility

Duplicate Emails

Troubleshooting Duplicate Email Issues

Reply by Email (Basic Incoming Email / Email Monitor)

What is the Email Monitor?

From our documentation:

The incoming email monitor provides support through which people can reply to discussion by email. It only supports discussion reply posts made by replying to a discussion notification email that a person receives. This feature requires only that you configure the community to retrieve messages sent to a mailbox you specify.

What does that funny text at the end of my subject line represent?

When using the Basic Incoming Email, also known as Email Monitor, you'll see some text that looks like this at the end of your subject line:

This string is used to create the post in SBS. It is a base62-encoded representation of your email token, userid, and messageid, respectively. This string must be intact in order to post a reply by email.

What is the email token?

The email token is a random string unique to a message and userid, and can only be used once. Additionally, email tokens expire after 7 days for security reasons. These tokens are stored in the jiveemailtoken table. If you reply by email to a message after its token has expired, the message will not be posted to SBS.

How do I set my tokens to expire after x days?

You can edit  the default number of days it takes a mail token to expire. Just set the following system property:

mailMonitor.tokenTTL.days = x

Why do I receive a "553 address unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)."?

You should always make sure that you are sending the reply from the email address associated with your SBS user account. For example, if I signed up with karl@test.com, any emails I send with karl.cyr@test.com will be rejected by the SBS application with the 553 error. You can also receive this message if the mail token is expired or the base62-encoded destination string is not left in tact.

Help! My message posted successfully, but it looks like it came from a different account. How did this happen?

This can happen if you reply to an email notification which is forwarded from another user. Remember, the "funny text" holds information specific to the person who received the original notification. This helps dictate not only to which thread a message should be posted, but also who is the author of the content. So if you inadvertently submit an email reply to a message forwarded to you by your colleague Joe, you may find that Joe gets credit for your message!

Help! My community is being spammed by Out of Office (OOO) auto-replies!

Filtering out auto-replies is more of a trial-and-error exercise than an exact science. Each client has its own format and own rules when it comes to deciding whether or not to deliver an OOO reply and what format that reply message will take. We have two ways to combat this problem:

• The system property checkmail.outOfOfficeRegex. By default, the value for this property is:
    checkmail.outOfOfficeRegex = (out of office)|(autoreply)|(auto-reply)|(auto reply)

The property checks the subject line of the email for these strings (case-insensitive). If the string is detected, SBS will not post the message in the community.

If you're on 3.0.19, 4.0.12, or 4.5.2 or later you can also use the system property

checkmail.outOfOfficeBodyRegex = (out of office)|(autoreply)|(auto-reply)|(auto reply)

to filter out replies containing the specified strings in the message body.

• As of the 3.0.16, 4.0.9, and 4.5.0 releases we have added the attribute "Auto-Submitted" to the outgoing mail headers. For most mail clients, the presence of this header attribute tells the client that this is an automated message which should not be responded to automatically. This has been very successful in eliminating this pesky problem for a number of customers.

Why does my email signature get included in each reply I make by email?

If you are regularly seeing that your email signature is included in your posts made from your email client, one way to tell Jive to ignore your signature is to place 5 underscores between your content and your signature. Jive will then ignore your signature, and any content below these 5 underscores.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 2.35.52 PM.png

What does Jive strip out of incoming emails?

There are some basic rules for what Jive will actively try to strip out of any incoming emails when posting any content into Jive:

• lines starting with '>' if they are immediately followed by 5 dashes
    • lines up to and including 5 underscores
    • lines with any content followed by the string 'wrote:'
    • lines that start with 'From:' and have either <email@address.com> or [email@address.com]

Here is the complete regex rule that Jive uses to strip content out of incoming emails:

Note, Jive will replace "wrote," "from," and "date" with translations based on the site's locale.

Advanced Email

How do I prevent out-of-office automation from creating posts on my site?

Auto-responders such as the Outlook Out of Office functionality can inadvertently cause the Advanced Email module to create content from its replies. To prevent this, set the Bounce Address in your instance's Email Server settings in the admin console. This sets the Return-Path attribute in the mail header, and the OOO function should send auto-reply emails to the Bounce Address instead of replying to the sender (if the STMP server follows RFC 3834). Outlook 2010 and above follow this specification.

What is the jive-1419839238-2012-105-4342@host.com email address?

Similarly to the Email Monitor, the Advanced Email functionality relies on a code to ensure that emails are going from the right place to the right place. Here's what those tokens mean:

1419839238 = Email token (see above)

2012 = Userid of recipient. Email account of sender MUST match email associated with this userid's account.

105 = Content type (in this case, comment).

4342 = Object ID of content type.

If the token is expired or any of this information fails to match, the content will not be posted!

How do I view my email headers?

One of the most common requests we'll make when troubleshooting email issues is for mail headers.  Mail headers tell us many important things such as where the message came from, when it was delivered, to whom a reply will be forwarded, whether or not an out-of-office auto-responder should reply to the message, and much more. There are many issues that can't be fully investigated without having access to the relevant header information.

You should be able to figure out how to find email headers in your mail client by searching the internet or referring to the vendor's documentation. Here are a few valuable resources for different mail clients:

How to Retrieve an E-mail Message Header for Various email clients