Currently enjoying my time at this year's JiveWorld, I've had the pleasure of attending the Jive Healthcare Summit, a special content track dedicated to the healthcare industry. The day's sessions welcomed top thought leaders from the healthcare world including from organizations such as MD Anderson, Healthsparq, Spectrum Health, Trinity Health among others. They all had unique stories to tell about how Jive helped them implement communities that not only improved the lives of their employees but also helped benefit their patients. Now that's powerful!
After lunch, I sat it on Trinity Health's workshop, presented by Amy Castillo, Senior Learning Consultant who walked us through how they implemented a physician resident community across a network of 28 teaching hospitals. All using Jive of course, Amy explained that their community called gmeUniversity is exactly what their staff of physician leaders and residents needed to learn and grow.
Amy broke down the entire process of setting up their community:
Why Build a New Way of Learning?
Explaining that the modern learner is extremely overwhelmed, Amy highlighted a powerful quote that stuck with me - "1% of a typical workweek is all that employees have to focus on training and development." --Bersin by Deloitte. Put that through a medical resident's filter and I bet that percentage goes down a lot more, which is why Trinity turned to a modern community that's interactive, intuitive and inherently social. They chose Jive!
Trinity knew that in order for their community to be effective and widely adopted, it needed the following elements:
- Live learning - virtual training sessions directly available on the community for training events
- Just-in-time - a library of educational content including articles, videos, lectures, TED Talks and videos
- Collaboration - shared learning across the system with just-in-time learning support and a best practice exchange
- Tracking & reporting - a system for tracking learning activities such as discussions, journal clubs & didactic sessions
Benefits of gmeUniversity:
By implementing the above, gmeUniversity has become the place physicians and medical residents turn to for learning and support. gmeUniversity provides:
- A common one-stop platform for residency programs
- Virtual collaboration between program directors, faculty and residents
- Just-in-time learning across all communications devices (especially mobile)
- Sharing of pertinent learning materials
- Expert knowledge of hard-to-reach talent such as part time, remote or highly specialized faculty
- Easy to use, self-service interface to create online courses and materials
With any new endeavor worth its salt, there's always things to take away to make them better for next time.
- Engagement is the #1 skill to learn for gmeUniversity faculty members
- Everyone is unique and takes a different path (and timing) to learn
- Show people the possibilities and they will come
- Create templates and tools to make implementation faster
With the first day of JiveWorld behind us, I'm invigorated by all I've learned so far and what is yet to come over the next few days. If you're at the event, please stop by at the Social Command Center on Level 1 and say hello. Also don't forget tomorrow's awesome line-up of speakers including our big Keynote at 8:30 a.m. in the Pinyon Ballroom. There's a special surprise in store that you won't want to miss!