Permissions & Permission Groups - More Granularity

score 280
Voted on 56 times. You have not voted. Active

I'd like to suggest the ability to configure user permissions at a very granular level.  An excellent question came up today in our internal discussions regarding the ability to grant a group of users the ability to manage 'Answers' within discussions.  Specifically, we want a group of users (let's call them Subject Matter Experts) to have the ability to mark a reply in a discussion as the correct answer, unmark a reply which might have been marked as the answer incorrectly.

As we understand it currently, a user must be a Moderator to do this (if I'm wrong, please leave a comment) and we do not wish to bestow full Moderator rights/privileges to these users.

The software we used to use had options to set permissions at an almost impossibly granular level to individual users or groups of users at any level (or exclusive of any level) of the community.  I'd like to see Jive add perhaps an "Advanced" option to the user permissions area which would allow me to grant/deny even the most detailed of user actions.

I'd like the ability to also mix and match these granular permissions into permission sets for easier management.    (once we have these roles established and configured in the system... the next idea is to have these rolesgranted/removed systematically as part of the ranking system)  Further, I see this being an excellent enhancement for those of us integrating the user system with Active Directory.  I see it being possible to map these 'custom' roles within the community to departmental/functional groups within the greater organization, allowing efficient user management.

Jive Product Team Notes: Similar requests, going to tie them together:
  • Also, commonly requested is the ability to keep 'brand / theme' changes in a space or layout changes restricted as well.

Comments

Vote history

Introducing Tracks on the Jive Community
Configure your Jive Community experience by selecting a track. We'll use this track on the homepage to show you relevant content and help you find resources quickly. You can change your track easily from the homepage or your profile.
As a community manager, you're an ambassador for your Jive community as you build places, curate content and engage with fellow community members. To help you go further with your site, we'll share success stories and other resources.
Whether considering a new purchase or working on an upgrade, technology managers need insight on the best ways to implement a community and learn more about the various upgrades in software releases.
An effective community starts with sound business strategy. As your community matures, you'll want to learn and share best practices for implementation and continued success.
Whether you're a developer, system administrator or a designer, you need insight on building a great user experience for your Jive community. Get the scoop on theming, API's, upgrades and more.
We've got a special area for partners to get essential information and best practices they need for describing and selling Jive to potential customers.
Whether or not you have a specific role in your Jive community, this track highlights areas of interest to Jive users such as training materials, community best practices and an opportunity to network with other customers.
save and close