11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 9:04 AM by clamson RSS

A new external community from Wells Fargo

clamson

Hello External Community Managers,

The Wells Fargo Community at wellsfargocommunity.com is now in beta launch on the 4.5.7.1 platform. We've put a lot of work into the visual design and customizing the site and we'd like to hear what you think.

As you'll see, the initial focus of the site is education planning and student loans. We'll be adding other financial topics over time.

We'd love it if you joined and participated in the community - you don't have to be a Wells Fargo customer. Regardless of whether or not you become a member, please give us feedback by replying to this post. We're committed to continually improving the site and your insights will be valuable to us.

Thank you, and we hope you like it.

- Craig

• Re: A new external community from Wells Fargo
          mdcrocker

Nice clean UI.  In the post a question box, should warn that they need to login.  Is it using an SSO with the website or will I need another login?  Will you have icons for employees?  I like that you do not call the starting folks "Lurkers".

Maybe it's me but the font looks a bit light, especially the breadcrumbs.  Love the print preview button.

Do you need the action widget?  If the only action is staring a discussion, use a button to open editor (can then add tags)

Did you think of using popular instead of recent?

Just a first look

Mike

clamson

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking a look and for your questions and comments. Here are some answers:

[Mike] Is it using an SSO with the website or will I need another login?

[Craig (Me)] While we certainly discussed the possibility of single sign-on, we didn't go that route for a variety of reasons. The decision was made easier because we also wanted non-Wells Fargo customers to participate.

[Mike] Will you have icons for employees?

[Craig] We are doing some things now to differentiate between employees and other members and we're likely to do more in the future. Today, there is a Moderator badge and a Works@WF badge that applies to both employees and contractors. You can see these badges at the profile level and in the Top Contributors list among other places because we substitute them in for the status levels. At a future date, we may have a more consistent look for our moderator avatars so you can easily identify them.

[Mike] I like that you do not call the starting folks "Lurkers".

[Craig] We discussed many different options for our status levels. Lurkers certainly wasn't in the running.

[Mike] Maybe it's me but the font looks a bit light, especially the breadcrumbs.

[Craig] Yeah, there are some small fonts that aren'ts especially easy to read. I'm pretty sure we didn't alter those in any way from the "out-of-the-box" UI.

[Mike] Do you need the action widget?

[Craig] When you haven't signed on, it really doesn't serve much purpose based on the functionality that we're currently offering. We've discussed removing it in the non-signed on state, but it's not high enough on our priority list yet. Once you've signed on, there are many options within that widget so it has plenty of utility.

[Mike] Did you think of using popular instead of recent?

[Craig] I wasn't part of that decision. I can say that I like the idea of new questions appearing at the top so those questions don't get buried and go unanswered. We will need to do a better job over time of making the popular discussions more prominent in the interface.

Thanks again for your questions and feedback.

Claire Flanagan

My rule of thumb - did it engage me in three seconds or less? Yes. Wow!!

• Clean crisp design.
              • Great use of above the fold.
              • VERY clear calls to action!
              • Makes sense to me.
              • And addresses several WIIFM I think your audience might have (1. where can I find more information? 2. I'm ready to talk about education planning. 3. Hmmm maybe I have a question - oh good I know where to ask that).

I see too many sites that don't address what I consider to be some basic design best practices - and in three seconds or less I could find those things.

Stay tuned, my April Jive Business Blog Post for the Jive Community will be about "community design best practices" and you'll be on my "Do" list

Great job! Good luck.

Gia Lyons - this is a great one!

ccarcallas

UI is very modern and refreshing! Perfect blend of colors, imagery, typography. Easy access to FAQs and How to docs. I love the prominent search box in the middle of the screen to force users to search before posting a new question. Jumping back and forth from the community to the WF home page was very seamless.

I did run into an issue - I registered using my personal email address as my username, then got an email message saying "For your protection, we never allow email addresses to be visible in your profile information. As a result, we removed the information that you used to register." It looks like my account got disabled and it is not clear how I can change my username.

clamson

Hi Christine,

We're glad you like the UI and we were definitely hoping for "modern and refreshing."

While we expose FAQs for wellsfargo.com in the Resources module on the left-hand side, I've been concerned that the FAQs for the Wells Fargo Community aren't easy enough to find. I'm happy you found them and the other How To docs.

Our big orange box is certainly intended to make searching and asking questions easy and obvious. We do think that we can work with Jive to improve that experience and hope to do that at some point in the future.

Sorry you had problems registering. We're really conscientious about people unintentionally sharing personal information so we use our interceptors to identify email addresses, even during registration. With that said, your profile didn't show up in the moderation queue and I can't see any remnants of it in the admin console. We definitely want you to become a member so please just go through the sign up process again and just don't use your email address as your username. Let me know if you experience any other issues.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights.

Tom Adam

One coment - No place to ask a question.

clamson

Here's the top of our home page:

question.jpg

In our big orange box, there is the search functionality beneath Find Helpful Answers and a link to post questions beneath the Post a Question header in the lighter portion of the box. We actually don't believe these should be separate tasks. The way we'd like it to work is having a single field where they start asking their question and that searches for relevant content that already exists within the community. If the user sees content that they think will answer the question, they can go ahead and click on it to view the thread (or whatever other content it is). If they don't see existing content with that live search, they go ahead and complete the question and then enter more details.

Jive uses a very similar approach right in this community. If you go to the support tab and click on the Create a Case link in the Actions menu, you'll see what I mean. At some point, we may pursue something similar to that.

clamson

Hello External Community Managers,

Raising awareness for our public-facing community at wellsfargocommunity.com is an ongoing effort for us. We just launched this new video that explains why people should join the Wells Fargo Education Planning Community.

Let me know if you think the video is successful in explaining the value of the community and I'd appreciate any other feedback you may have.

Thanks.

- Craig

cgrassi

Hey Craig,

That looks good!  Is it going to be included in a marketing campaign for the site?

-Chris

clamson

Hey Chris,

We are definitely going to promote the video to raise awareness surrounding the Wells Fargo Community. We'll have tweets, Facebook posts, emails, etc., that link to the video. With that said, we have a limited marketing budget so we don't expect to be really getting it out there in a big way.

Our Education Financial Services team has sales people and we think this is a great tool for them to introduce the Wells Fargo Community to their contacts whether they're meeting in person, emailing, or talking on the phone. It also gives them something to run on a monitor at conferences.

I'd say that in most cases we'd like to get people directly to the site (versus showing the video first). We believe the site content is engaging and it's easy to use. The video gives us something to introduce the site for people who might want an explanation first.

Thanks for your question.

- Craig

Wells Fargo Community