6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 3:16 PM by Melissa Rosen RSS

Community manager resources?

sachac

Before I go and reinvent the wheel...

I'm writing a lot of community-manager oriented documentation: how to organize a community, how to plan your category structure, etc. The Jive docs are decent for admins and users, but there's a fair bit of stuff that community managers need to think about (ex: Re: What user or management training are you creating?). The workshop docs are good, but they're not step-by-step guides for community managers creating or inheriting communities. Has anyone come across shareable/reusable guides focused on new community managers?

• Re: Community manager resources?
          Melissa Rosen

hey there! I've started putting together a one-sheeter.   Best Practices: Creating a Group/Community Our Jive is branded "Pulse", so you will see reference to that in there. I also borrowed heavily from a post in the JC, but I can't now remember where I got it from! If I can remember, I will come back and reference it!  I am trying to keep it to a "one-sheet" reference, since most folks here are doing this as a side-of-desk activity-- one sheet =low barrier to entry. I also tried to gear it toward those who really don't know where to start.

Kevin Crossman

Melissa, looks like that doc is located in a restricted space/group.

Frank Gebhardt

Hi Melissa,

would love to have a look at your document, but it says

Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here.

Frank

sachac

Thanks! I've also been putting together step-by-step guides for designing the group overview page, such as adding a View Document widget for calls to action at the top of the page. For example, we recommend adding a small Edit link or icon so that you don't have to keep finding the document in the Content view to change things.

IcoJam released quite a few public domain icons, so we've selected a few to give the groups we're prototyping a consistent visual language:

• gear icon for View Document boxes that only admins can edit
                  • pencil icon for View Document boxes that anyone can edit
                  • briefcase or papers for links to content by category
                  • chat bubble for discussions
                  • question mark or lifesaver for help

and so on. A few well-chosen images help make the pages more engaging.

I'll see if I can convince people to let me share the docs out here. Thanks for sharing yours!

Update: More resources: Do you have any best practices for layout and design of Groups and Spaces?

Melissa Rosen

a group overview page sounds like something I will need to create-- right now, in our current wiki, we have a page where we list all the team sites/communities. It is cumbersome/manual to update that list all the time. I will need to have an "overview" page that is similar, yet in Jive I am trying to figure out what content to put on it and how best to surface lists of all the groups (should I try to surface all groups, or just a select few? and then work on giving directions/tips on how to search for the group you want)... just some of the things I think about!

Melissa Rosen

good catch! I've recreated it and updated the link above-- i think that should work!