22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 11:38 AM by Kathryn RSS

What is the best way to surface a personal blog?

Melissa.Rosen

I noticed that personal blogs, while easy to create the first time, don't have a "home" that I can navigate to (I am currently still using our sandbox and QA environment-- rollout in T-2). After I created my personal blog in the sandbox, each time I want to navigate to it, I have to use search.

I am trying to envision how the general user experience will be for this-- What is the easiest way to surface personal blogs? I know there is a widget that can help, but without the widget, is search the only way to find it again?

Right now on our current wiki, we actually have a blogs "homepage" that shows a feed of all personal blogs (title, author avatar, & date). We're not sure if we want to re-create this yet... is there even a way to re-create such a feed in Jive?

• Re: What is the best way to surface a personal blog?
          crossman

For the widgetized home page you could use "Recent Blogs" or "Popular Blogs" to surface personal blogs (and blogs from elsewhere in the system).

Personal blogs are also available from a user's directory page (which might be easier than searching - especially if it's your personal blog you want to browse to).

Melissa.Rosen

ah! under content tab. I see it now!

so... i will need to do some more playing with those widgets. I think there just aren't enough blogs in Sandbox or QA for me to get a good feel for it yet. so, I will have to wait until the masses arrive. . . first wave in about T-12, then company-wide-wave at end of June!)

crossman

Earlier versions of Jive had a nice big "personal blog" button on the profile page but that seems to be no longer included in Jive 5. 

Nikki Bussard

If you're looking for blogs or any other content type, you can also use Browse>Content>Blogs. Browsing is a really nice way to navigate content, especially if you know you are looking for a document, video, blog, etc. At first I didn't think it would be useful, but I am surprised by how much I use it.

Andrew_Kratz

Similar to Nikki, I used Browse/Blogs a lot as well.  A good lunch time skim through the blog roll to check out posts of the day.  To build on that point, one thing we noticed during the first few months after launch was that a number of people were into the thought leadership and were clearly spending time authoring their blog.  But when you looked at the views they may have had 3 to 7 views.  And those were probably just them checking out their own blog post.  The core team started brainstorming around this.  We were concerned that people would stop making the effort if only a few people were taking the time to look at the posts.

What we ended up doing was having the community manager add a widget to the main home page called Spotlight.  Every second or third day the CM would freshen the spotlight with 5 or 6 new posts from the blog roll that were well written, business focused, but didn't have a lot of follower.  By giving people the 15 min of fame they started to develop a following and then as they say "our work is done here".

Hope that is helpful,

Andrew Kratz

Social Edge Consulting

Melissa.Rosen

@andrew_kratz-- love the widget idea of surfacing select blogs on home page. I can see how that might start a real-estate war or possibly get political, but I will give it some thought!

Andrew_Kratz

So the right side of our site was all about "the best content" (we used the standard 2 skinny and 1 wide middle column template).  Up top, on the right,  was corporate news, so it was "top down" - what the company wanted to say to the employees.  At the bottom, on the right, was "bottom-up" or what the people were saying was important.  We used the "top liked" widget as we wanted to encourage the newbies to do the min action possible which was to like something (come on, click something you like, it won't bite you).  They would get the satisfaction of being able to vote up things they like (a small side effect that sometimes they don't always vote up great business content....the "four legged friend post" where people would post pictures of their dog or cat is probably still up as a top liked item..but it mainly worked well )

We added the "spotlight" in the middle as it was content from the people - mainly blog posts, but sometimes good discussions that just were not discovered by people for whatever reason.  This was a curated area by the CM, so it also had some "to down" elements to it...so it sat in the middle of those two.

As for turf wars....we were lucky in that communication owned the project, home page and the CM.  A large business purpose (use case) for the whole project was to share knowledge, information and best practices..so this all lined up quite nice.

aciavarella

Hi Andrew - would love to see a screen grab ? (with confidential blurred out)

Andrew_Kratz

I am no longer at that client and don't have any screenshots sorry.  It was pretty straight forward.  They had a 3 column (the standard template).  The right thin column had three widgets.  The first was a list of top down stories (5-7) (they used a view a doc widget but you could do it a bunch of ways (RSS, formatted text, featured content etc...)  The middle box was a "view a doc" widget where te doc had a small graphic called spotlight and then the links to the 5 or so blog posts the community manager wanted to highlight.  The last box was the "Top Liked" to try to get that "pulse of the people" feeling.  Hope that helps,

AK

Melissa.Rosen

Thanks nikki! I am starting to envision it now. I guess I didn't think of browsing by content because I was focused on widget use. But then lack of blogs in QA threw me off.

aciavarella

I am not a big fan of the Browse function, it's simply not intuitive - the fact that it required explanation in this forum just demonstrates that.

Much more useful would be the addition making the content that exists in the site MORE OBVIOUS.. such as in the Activity stream...activity_stream.jpg

Melissa.Rosen

I'm always a fan of obvious.  

jmistretta

I agree, I would love a way to "push" blog postings to the activity page, even if it was just in the "recommended for you" section.  We are debating internally a blog for our "Getting Started" space.  We aren't seeing people take advantage of the stuff we've loaded in there and figured if pick a topic at a time to highlight and explain via a blog, we might get more traction.  The thought being smaller bit size snippets are more easily digestible.  The part we haven't figured out is how to "push" that information out.  If you're not following the space or me you're not going to see it unless you stumble upon it in the "All Activity".  Trying to figure out how to make it more prominent...

cservilio

This is great information!  In a similar vein, does anyone who has switched to 5.0 know if there is a "Featured Blog" widget available like the one on the homepage of the Jive Community?  I'd love to have a widget like this so we could surface a particular blog, not just the recent or popular ones, but I wasn't sure if this a standard feature; I don't see it in our 4.5ish instance.

featuredblog.png

tmaurer

In the Catalyst plug-in, there is a "Pick a Blog" widget that allows you to do exactly what you are asking for. I'd suggest investigating that with your account rep.