3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 6:22 AM by Corey Mathews RSS

Is it possible to download of YouTube files to a local server?

Bill Chamberlain

This is a tricky question from one of our users in China.I don't think this is possible, but figured someone in the global community might have some ideas. Corey Mathews have you seen anything like this in the past?

I see a couple primary issues:

• downloading the actual YouTube video (possible? legal?)
      • the number of steps needed to connect the downloaded video to the discussion

In China, YouTube is blocked. For some laptop users there's the option to switch proxy servers, but about 80% of the team cannot do this. This means that blog posts, discussions and case studies are often made weaker by not having the ability to view the video/ad that people are referencing in the discussion. Opening all PCs LAN settings is currently not an option for us.

China is the third biggest office for us, but most of the staff can't truly engage with the content and as a result I believe many will dis-engage with the whole website.

So I want to find a work-around, some kind of software/spider that does the following:

- Set-up on a laptop that can connect to an outside proxy server that can get to YouTube.

- Each morning, crawls all the new content on our Jive instance looking for YouTube links

- Downloads the video from YouTube using some software like http://www.keepvid.com/ (though probably an offline version would work better)

- Saves the video file to a local drive

- Returns to the place where the discussion is happening and ads a reply with links to the content folder