9 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 1:34 PM by Melissa Rosen RSS

How do you create a private document in Jive 5.0?

Courtney Zentz

I am trying to show how to create a private document in Jive 5.0. We have a few people that are requesting how to do that.

• Re: How do you create a private document in Jive 5.0?
          Andrew Kratz

select "create" up top and you will get this view....select "your documents"

create document.JPG

Your document defaults to just being viewable by yourself (similiar to a private document on your personal computer) which answers your question.  You can add other select individuals if you like by scrolling to the bottom of the document edit screen and add some other folks.  So in this example I am giving you access and am about to give Shannon access as well. So now only the three of us can see the doc..hope this helps

private doc.JPG

Courtney Zentz

Duh! I knew I saw it somewhere. Thank you for the help!

Melissa Rosen

Am I correct in thinking that these docs will show up in your Profile>Content tab? Sort of like a 'personal space'?

Andrew Kratz

Yes, and of course only if you are looking there.  Anyone else that might look at your content would not see them because only you have access.  Security always prevails.

Melissa Rosen

Cool. Thanks!  Do you ever have someone create a group for their own personal use? Do you stop them? I fear with 50,000 people I won't really be able to monitor that very well.

Andrew Kratz

It is funny, the only time I really saw that was with the community mangers.  Since they are the deepest ones into the tool typically they "get it" the most and of course spend so much time on the platform.  Maybe one or two other power users.  I think only your hard core users would do that.  And I don't see any real problem, particularly as users try to mentally figure out how to live in this more transparent world.  I would much rather see them with private documents and groups than do it on their hard drive or on some other system.  By having it on the system it leaves them open to hitting that little collaboration button at the bottom and moving it from "Just you" to "Anyone"..or at least "specific users".  So I would not get overly concerned about that.  - just my take..  You have a great day!  AK

Nikki Bussard

We do have people creating groups for their own personal use. Usually, I've seen that people do this when they are not aware of the capabilities they have in their profile. Unfortunately, people kind of have to discover this space, since it is not readily apparent or branded along the lines of My Sites or others.

On the other hand, once people see the capabilities of using personal documents, they seem to prefer that. If you create a group for your own use and want to share a document with someone else, the only option is to share everything in your group. Putting it in your personal docs gives you granular control.

I was recently trying to come up with a model to explain best methods for collaborating on docs, hopefully to turn it into a Gino Rossi-inspired infographic. I haven't completed it, but here are some of my notes that might be helpful:

Personal Documents

1. Personal, private docs. This is a doc you create where only you have edit and view rights. Good for: Drafts, my to-do list, any other doc I want to have available from any computer.

2. Personal public docs. This is document you create where everyone has view rights, and edit or comment rights can be controlled. Good for: sharing documents with the whole community if I'm not sure where else to put it.

3. Personal docs shared with specific other people. A document you create where only one other person can view; edit or comment rights can be controlled. Good for: personal objectives or growth plans I work on with my manager, sharing a draft for feedback, staging content that will be published to a group.

Documents in a Group

1. Docs in a private/secret group. The doc can only be seen by others in the group. If you are the owner, you can set edit and comment rights. Good for: confidential documents, co-creating documents with a specific group, sharing a draft for feedback, staging content that will be published to an open group.

2. Docs in an open/members only group. The doc can be seen by anyone. If you are the owner, you can set edit and comment rights. Good for: publishing reports or research, collaborate with a large group including people you don't know, publishing templates or brand assets,