6 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 12:05 PM by Kate_Mahoney RSS

Getting Students to Participate in our Community

Kate_Mahoney

Hello,

As some of you may know from a previous post of mine, Wells Fargo recently launched an online community about college education and student loans. Our community is geared towards students, parents, and college counselors and so far we have had success with parents and counselors joining. However, getting students to participate is looking to be a bit harder. Do you have ideas or suggestions on how to get students (primarily teens and young adults) excited to join an online community? What things have you done in your community to get this age group to participate?

Any feedback on the community would be great. I look forward to hearing your ideas and suggestions!

Kate

Wells Fargo Community

• Re: Getting Students to Participate in our Community
          Sara Leslie

Hello Kate,

Interesting timing. I wanted to give feedback to the Wells Fargo community team. I signed up to be a member of the wells fargo community as an account holder. I have feedback on the experience if you want to email me: sli@qliktech.com

RyanSe

Hi Kate,

Every community is different as far as motivation. Teens have no problems joining communities about their favorite celebrity, video game platform or the like because they get something out of it. So my question for you is "what's in it for me?" from the perspective of a teen/young adult?

If you haven't done it already, my first suggestion is to reach out to individuals in your desired demographic and ask. If you have teen members already, ask them why they joined. Are there any trends in their replies? For counselors, have them ask the students they work with then report back.

I'm going to go out on the limb here and guess that the reason parents and counselors are seeing good success is that they are key influencing individuals in the decision making process about student loans and more likely to be folks that seek out financial information. I can't speak about the youth today but I know that I personally looked to my parents to help sort out all the money stuff since, at that age, I wasn't that excited about financial literacy.

If you have already solved this, I would love to hear more about how you tackled the problem.

Ryan

JasonLax

Ryan brings up and interesting point about looking to parents to sort out money stuff.  Since it's such a large expenditure, most students would be looking towards their parents for help.  Perhaps teens and young adults might be more interested to engage in discussions about smaller projects like buying their first car, going on a backpacking trip abroad or getting a loan to start a small part-time business.

Kate_Mahoney

Thanks guys. We are still working on a solution but I agree with you, students need to feel like they are getting something out of the community since they are less likely to be interested in student loans and paying for college. We are considering a giveaway and will let you all know how it goes!

mnevill

Could you run some sort of a contest where students who register have a chance to win a special interest rate (a lot better than what others get)?  If that is out of the question maybe something like the winner gets a nice care package or $100 to go towards books.  I agree with Ryan that they will hang out on a forum related to something they are incredibly interested in but finances probably are not it for this stage of life so it may take something extra to motivate them.  It may also help to find a college student somewhere to write a guest blog about college related things (saving money, study/social life balance, etc) vs someone that is out of the college life loop.  I bet you will have a hard sell trying to lure them in purely with the social media benefits since they can get their fill on Facebook.