8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 1:27 PM by mark.weitzel RSS

How do Apps work if there are multiple instances to connect with?

Tracy Maurer

Not sure how unorthodox UBM is in this area, but here is my example use case:

• Rypple has a free Jive App
      • We have at least two different divisions who have (separate) agreements with Rypple. In other words, it is not a single contract with Rypple, but rather two different contracts.

Questions:

1. How would the information stored in Rypple get integrated into the App?
      2. Will this same process apply to all App vendors, or will it vary?
      3. Are there some circumstances where because of how the data is mapped, multiple instances cannot be integrated and therefore an App should not be made available to a Jive deployment?

Thanks for your feedback, Mark Weitzel!

• Re: How do Apps work if there are multiple instances to connect with?
          mark.weitzel

Tracy,

I'll try to answer your questions, however, not in order. First off, with the way each app handles this situation MAY be different. In the specific case of Rypple, they offer a free version of the app so that it will showcase some of their capability. They chose to map users via email address. It's been awhile since I've done this, but I believe, when you give a "thanks", they actually build up a graph of connections based on this. So, if I give you a thanks in the Jive Community, and you go into canvas mode of the app, you should see it there. Those recognitions will feed into Rypple's system and will be available from their web app.

1.  Are there some circumstances where because of how the data is mapped, multiple instances cannot be integrated and therefore an App should not be made available to a Jive deployment?

In the case of Rypple, I can't think of a situation like this off the top of my head.

Does this help?

-Mark Weitzel

Director, Platform & Ecosystem, Jive Software

President, OpenSocial Foundation

Tracy Maurer

Hmmm. I think this is going to be very interesting for us to try and manage. In the specific case of Rypple, the division I work for isn't part of the Rypple contract, so I guess I'll need a demo account to work with and see how the integration works.

I'm also a little concerned based on feedback I got that we could end up with one division who wants their Rypple content to surface in Jive, and another who doesn't. All sorts of cases I hadn't anticipated.

I'll let you know how it goes as we try to move forward. We are making some initial headway with Inxpo, so maybe we'll have a very limited edition of Apps in production soon.

Ted Hopton

Actually, Mark, the situation you describe would mean we could not deploy Rypple as an app. Our divisions want to be able to manage their HR/P&C platforms independently. They do NOT want all of UBM showing up in their Rypple instance.

This is going to get messy...

mark.weitzel

So here's a screen shot of what my canvas view looks like for Rypple:

Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 11.02.38 PM.png

Each thanks I receive shows up regardless of the instance of Jive that it was "awarded" to me in. This is because I've got the same email address in multiple instances of Jive AND because it's pulling my awards from Rypple's home server.

In your case, you have only one instance of Jive, however, the way that the app works is that each time a person is recognized, it will flow onto the activity stream and be visible by the entire instance. That is, it's not scoped to a specific group/department, etc.

How about we do this...

Let's get Tracy setup with the demo account. (Tracy, is this a Jive demo account or a Rypple demo account?) Next, let's try to simulate the scenario that you have so we can document it accurately. At that point, we can decide our next steps, e.g. should we pull in the Rypple team and run this by them etc.

Does this sound workable?