2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2012 6:27 PM by Sumeet Moghe RSS

What metrics do you use to show the value of Social Learning and Education?

One common challenge for L&D teams is to prove the value of their training services, and to show management a return on the investment they've made in employee training programs. Even more so with regards to social learning, where it's harder to put a pulse on specific metrics.

I think the more we can share success stories with each other, the better we will become at clearly describing the value of our services.

So, what metrics do you report on, and how do you create a compelling case for how your training programs directly impacted the bottom line?

• Re: What metrics do you use to show the value of Social Learning and Education?
          bernd.appelhans

We are about to face that question in a project. I would appreciate any feedback and best practices

• Re: What metrics do you use to show the value of Social Learning and Education?
              Sumeet Moghe

I guess the whole notion of 'social learning' is a bit flawed. To collaborate in the scope of a course isn't new. That happened even in the days when we had no tech and did just classroom training.

The key with 'social' is the network effect, serendipity and the fact that you have more eyeballs looking.

I'm also unsure if I can ever quantify in dollars the return on investment. I could potentially outline the value itself.

In that I have highlighted community engagement as a metric (contributing vs active members), no. of answered questions is an interesting one. It'd be useful to look at the different roles in your company and see how engaged they are on the platform. Using net promoter scores is a good way to measure satisfaction and I'd love to do this for my own community at some point. I'd love to find a way to quantify serendipity - how many people accidentally find content that's useful. Not sure if I know how to do this yet.