5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 2:05 PM by Billy Volpone RSS

Some quations about Jive featuers for Apple computers  ?

Hi All,

I started to test JIVE and look like it can be used by our company,

I have some quotations about the features:

Operation Systems:

1. Can users with Apple ( MAC ) computers also use the Office & mail plugins ?

2. Can i Publish files on Windows Excel and MAC users can see it ?

Security:

1. Can i do some setups that users can access JIVE only from computers inside the company ?

China Great Wall:

1. Our company Based in China,China government block some sites ( Special social network Sites like Facebook ) there is Chinese Government organization that give license for some sites to use.

Does JAVE resister as licensed site in China ? im afraid that one day the Government will block the JAVE website and we will not be able to assess our information without VPN connection.

Thanks,

Yariv

• Re: Some quations about Jive featuers for Apple computers  ?
          Billy Volpone

Hi Yariv,

Thanks for writing. I wanted to see if I can help answer some of your questions.

• Specific to leveraging Jive on a Mac/Apple... we currently don't support the Outlook and Office connectors for this system. This was built at first with the traditional Microsoft Office bundle which is written in .NET and we're currently scoping out what it would take to also accomplish a separate connector within the Office for Mac language. Stay tuned for more on this down the road.

•     Security: our Jive for Teams platform is built to be secure and leverages SSL/HTTPS and domain whitelisting (not to mention your internal permissions) to make sure only users you want to access this gain access. However, since this lives within the cloud and is meant to be accessible by any user you should need, it cannot be restricted just to certain locations or IP addresses. Is there a reason you would desire to set this up? We're happy to share more on our security processes.

• Site being blocked in China: I don't see any reason why Jive would be blocked within the country of China and we do already work with clients there. Jive is not a social networking site like Facebook, but instead a robust enterprise platform for collaboration. If you have access now, you should continue to have access moving forward.

I hope this helps.

cgrassi

Hey Billy,

In regards to limiting IP ranges, this is something that salesforce and a lot of other SaaS offerings have available as a configuration.  My company doesn't have the use case but I was at a customer the other day who was talking about locking down their SF account IP ranges to prevent unauthorised access in case someone gave their password to someone else outside of the company.  This could happen if someone has left a company and has a friend still working there who decided to share his password.

Billy Volpone

Hi Chris,

We haven't seen this come up as an issue to date as once someone leaves their organization, the Jive admin can simply disable their account thereby keeping their data but locking down their username and password so no one can use it moving forward (even if you knew someone else's).

cgrassi

Hey Billy,

I'm surprised it hasnt come up from your social intranet users as it's def a question we get asked for all the SaaS software we sell and implement. It's often also a security requirement on RFP's since it gives the security team an extra layer of control and piece of mind that people outside the company cannot get access to their data.

Even though the user who has left the company gets their account disabled, they may know someone else's user name and password which they than could use to get at data from home or wherever.

-Chris

Billy Volpone

Hi Chris,

I know with our non-cloud solutions we have IP blacklisting built into the admin console (and possible even for the cloud)... but it's the IP whitelisting you're speaking to that is different. There are possible ways to work with this as in setting up VPN access to that IP address so when users are offsite they can still access your social intranet. However, with this version, we're trying to break down barriers and provide a much more ondemand solution for both teams that are all located together, as well as vastly dispersed work forces.

The situation you mention about one user giving another user their login information would be something we suggest is built into your internal community regulation/education material. This is something all users should know not to share and if this were to happen, admins can disable or reset passwords as needed.

I will bring this larger question up internally to see what feedback I can gather from our product team. As soon as I hear anything, I'll reach back out and post here for you.

Thanks