10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 11:16 AM by Olivia Teich RSS

The Summer Release Must be Soon?

JohnSchwiller

Earning badges whilst we wait for the Summer Release.

Is anyone else online waiting for J4T-SR?

• Re: The Summer Release Must be Soon?
          cgrassi

Yes. Looks like its tonight as per the banner at the top of my community.

JohnSchwiller

You mean something automated from Jive in your J4T or something posted by another admin? I haven't got one and understood it was Fri or Sat.

Ran out of badges to collect

cgrassi

This is what I see automated at the top of my site.

Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 17.08.23.png

JohnSchwiller

OK now I'm feeling really left out

cgrassi

At least you have all those badges

cgrassi

Check your system soon - ours seems to be done. 

JohnSchwiller

It just arrived.

cgrassi

There is a lot to like!!! but here are some quirks I've found so far:

• The registration process is the same for external users as it is for internal users therefore if you have added custom fields that make sense to your internal team they may not make sense or be relevant to external members.  i.e. Hire Date, Regional Office, Etc...The external profile fields are the same as internal ones.
                                      • Any images used for HTML  references will not show up in for external users so they will need to be moved to skydive or some public hosting site.
                                      • The "Your Groups Widget" cuts off group names on the activities page
                                      • There is no getting started for External users, just the guides that pop up depending on the pages you are on.
                                      • Apps are disabled but they appear if you type ! or are creating content you can choose !App from the bottom of the text window.  Users can't seem to access the apps market but they can click on links to take them to an empty one.
                                      • No distinction between internal and external avatars.  This poses an issue with existing default avatars that only were supposed to be seen by internal users.
                                      • Full User profiles are accessible to users who are in shared external groups.  This poses issues with what you may have written before external users could see your profile.   This can be controlled per each user adjusting their privacy settings which now include the ability to hide certain areas of their profile from external members.
                                      • External users browsing content see a reference to Status Updates but they never would be able to see these anyway.
                                      • The login page is the same for external and internal users which may be a confusing message as to the purpose of the site.
                                      • Cannot specify a home page for external users (something I would like to see added)
                                          JohnSchwiller

Olivia Teich can you remind us why External Users don't get 'Get Started' or at least a cut-down version? Seems to me they too could benefit from this new guidance.

Olivia Teich

The registration process is the same for external users as it is for internal users therefore if you have added custom fields that make sense to your internal team they may not make sense or be relevant to external members.  i.e. Hire Date, Regional Office, Etc...The external profile fields are the same as internal ones.

This is helpful feedback. Splitting out the registration flow fields is something we have considered and it's in our backlog - it just didn't make this release. We'd love it if you could post feedback list this as Ideas in Jive Platform to help us track interest and prioritize.

Any images used for HTML  references will not show up in for external users so they will need to be moved to skydive or some public hosting site.

They should be just fine if you're hosting the images in a place your external contributors can access?

The "Your Groups Widget" cuts off group names on the activities page

This sounds like a bug? If you don't mind posting a screenshot (or sending it to me or via support privately) that would help us track down what's going on. Thanks!

There is no getting started for External users, just the guides that pop up depending on the pages you are on.

Correct. We have some lightweight guidance as you mentioned. People interacting only within a Group may find less need for more comprehensive orientation, and may be less motivated to go through it even if provided. Put another way, if it requires a lot of training, then I suspect people will default back to other tools, so we'd focus on a no-manual-required approach for external users as much as possible. As you get people using it, we'd love for you to share real-use feedback on where they could use additional guidance. Thanks!

Apps are disabled but they appear if you type ! or are creating content you can choose !App from the bottom of the text window.  Users can't seem to access the apps market but they can click on links to take them to an empty one.

I haven't been able to reproduce this. Could you please post more details on where you're seeing this, and your browser version? Thanks!

No distinction between internal and external avatars.  This poses an issue with existing default avatars that only were supposed to be seen by internal users.

Can you tell me a little more about this? All external user avatars will have the orange external contributor symbol presented over them. If you've got actual avatar images you're adding and would like to choose whether those are available to external users to select, please post this idea for voting.

Full User profiles are accessible to users who are in shared external groups.  This poses issues with what you may have written before external users could see your profile.   This can be controlled per each user adjusting their privacy settings which now include the ability to hide certain areas of their profile from external members.

We have a separate profile visibility field to make profile information available only to connections and colleagues, i.e., other full access employee users. You can set your desired defaults in the admin console. Individuals should also be able to control this in their own profile privacy settings. The bug preventing that option from displaying will be fixed in our next update.

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 10.56.00 AM.png

Cannot specify a home page for external users (something I would like to see added)

Please do post an idea for this. This currently poses significant security risks or technical complexity to prevent information leakage, but we'd love to understand what you'd like to present. Also, if you believe your goals for that page could be accomplished with additions to the Activity page, I'd love your thoughts on that as well.