1 2 3 4 Previous Next 101 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 1:46 PM by tmaurer Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
        tmaurer

I forgot to consider Impact Metrics in the reporting area of your question, Ryan. Being able to compare impact metrics between content items would be really helpful.

Example: I'm a comms person, and I send out a message. I want to know who has read it and all the stats that are there. But then, I work at crafting a better message next time and using some other techniques to get better visibility. I want to EASILY compare stats from the two posts to see if my efforts paid off.

Or an executive wants to see if their mindshare is increasing over time as they get more active in Jive. Being able to see trendlines from the Impact Metrics stats would be great. This could be added to the Browse page when I'm looking at Authored, so that I could filter the content the way that I want and then view a stats comparison. The other benefit of this is that I could actually then view the stats for content without going directly to the content and altering those stats. And don't write this last one off as trivial - I know some content authors who are regularly monitoring the stats on their posts, and the fact that them doing so alters those stats is problematic.

1 person found this helpful
        • 16. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
          tmaurer

Second that motion on Projects. Make them real, or take them away. BUT, if you take them away, allow archiving of spaces and/or projects - a way to keep the content and learning, but make it less obtrusive in search.

• 17. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
            KirstenL

For the clean up piece, we get a lot of folks asking for a way to select a time limit for content either across a place or on an individual piece of content. For example, I'm posting the 2017 Marketing Priorities and I want to be reminded in Q3 2017 that the document is going to expire and I should get working on the next year and/or be reminded at the end of year mark that I should say this is outdated and link to the 2018 priorities. Same goes with content that should be reviewed/deleted after x number of years (maybe that's a system setting).

I would also love an easier way to get notified about places that haven't been updated in 3, 6, 12 months so that I can better reach out to community owners and make sure sites don't get stale.

For the tile piece, we have folks clamoring for easier plug and play ways to make their sites "better" - and I think there are a lot of things to do with existing tiles (document viewer is SO POWERFUL, as is super list, etc.) but they are hugely lacking in the intuitive user experience department. So if not new tiles, we could certainly use better instructions for existing tiles with built in workflow.

For the reporting piece, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE DOWNLOAD IMPACT METRICS?!!??!!?!?!? I cannot fathom why this hasn't been fixed in the now kagillion months since impact metrics were implemented. DES is crazy confusing, but I'm figuring it out slowly (and your doc is going to be super helpful)... it's just not scalable. The more self-service stats people can grab, the easier my life will be.

We'll start there for now.

2 people found this helpful
            • 18. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
              Helen Chen

Jumping in a bit late, but I just saw this thread. What a great discussion!  My priorities are:

• Artifact clean up, which includes content, accounts, tags and places.
              • More granular content and page permissioning
              • Logging in as a user. This is a major issue for troubleshooting and would help me, my community and your support team if admins could do this...
              • Group membership: option to use permission groups instead of invite
              • 19. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                Helen Chen

Yes to both you and Tracy!

• We do need a better way to share custom html. I use email now which is just reinforcing bad behavior. I don't want to turn it into a custom tile, as users need to get in and change some of the code to reference their space activity.
                • The current categories are non-intuitive and inflexible. It would be better if this were handled by traditional categories that the admin can manage (change category assignment, rename category) with tags.
                • Reporting:  All reports (Community Mgt, Community Analytics, Impact Measures, space reporting) should
                  • allow for specifying dates
                  • Allow admins access
                  • Allow for downloading of cvs files
                  • Be much easier to use and tweek by end users

I hope this makes sense!

• 20. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                  Jonathan Block

Just to comment on the content reminder concept:  I can see this being very useful for some items, but somewhere between irrelevant and counterproductive on others.  However, I think this has no particular correlation with content type.  It might be meaningful to allow a place admin, or system admin, to require a follow-up on certain content types, but I wouldn't try to do that globally out of the box.  I'd rather it be an independent option on any content type ("Follow up [on date X | in N days | after M days without further activity | every Z days]"), with an optional note so you know what you're supposed to consider when that threshold is crossed.  Perhaps somewhat related to Actions but not using the exact same mechanism.  If content ownership changes are eventually allowed (please), the follow-up instruction would move to the new owner.  Once the feature's there, I expect there would quickly be a desire to allow multiple follow-ups to be set on the same item.

• 21. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                    Dennis Pearce

Helen's comment about permission groups reminded me -- I would like to see permission groups designed to have dynamic membership based on profile fields, similar to how subscription news feeds are done now.  Be able to define a group whose members are everyone in these departments, or this location, or who are employees vs. contractors, etc.  Many of our profile fields are fed from our HR system, so defining permissions in this way would make it much easier to set up spaces that were only for managers, only for employees, only for salespeople, etc. without having to manually manage the list of names.

On a different topic, I would also like to see more flexibility in how we can configure User Badges in the Rewards Console.  Presently the options are hard-coded as:

• Celebrate
                    • Good Luck
                    • Happy Anniversary
                    • Happy Holidays
                    • I'm Sorry
                    • Nice Work
                    • Happy Birthday
                    • Thank You
                    • Welcome
                    • Congratulations

Many of these seem kinda trivial for badges and appear to be more like greeting card categories than badge categories.  Maybe our culture is different here, but nobody can figure out why you would want to give someone a Happy Holidays or Happy Birthday badge that would then sit on their profile forever.  And "I'm Sorry"?  A badge is something to be awarded, and that definitely doesn't seem like an award.

We ended up using "Nice Work" for every badge and then made sure the actual purpose was visible as part of the badge icon, in our case tied to our corporate values: Agility, Community, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, and Respect.  That's at least doable if not optimal.  The big problem is that when we try to look at the Rewards leaderboard for an individual badge, the menu looks like this:

If you look closely with a microscope you can see that the icons are different, and I figured out that they are listed in the same order they appear in the Rewards Console so I made sure ours are listed alphabetically to help users figure it out.  But allowing us to pick our own labels would make this much more friendly, as would not limiting it to just six options.

• 22. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                      Patty McEnaney

Ryan,

Thanks so much for asking what would make COMMUNITY MANAGERS's lives easier. I am thrilled just to be asked. Your idea to gather feedback and see what is preponderant feedback in one place is big. The Ideas module has so many ideas, that it is hard to generate enthusiasm about particular ideas when there are so many individual ideas. Many of these ideas listed below have been expressed, perhaps in slightly different ways.

1. The ability to set an expiration for content at time of publishing, for a specified period, either for the author at publishing time or the space admin in general. This is HUGE for those of us in regulated industries. Jeremy Grant had finally commented after some "reminding" by Libby Taylor to others posting a similar idea about this that Jive was working on many more important issues related to content on the Roadmap. It seems from this discussion that THIS is an important idea that Jive's customers really want.

2. The ability to easily generate a report for spaces that haven't had any activity for six months or a year.

3. The ability to bulk expire content (or bulk delete content) in a space if the content is older than one year.

4. The ability to easily see, with a quick report, and not a DES or Jive Analytics report, what is the most popular content across spaces and not just within a space.

5. The ability to clean up tags more easily.

6. The ability to find tags in other spaces when you click on the tag cloud. Searching for Tags Using the Cloud Tag

Despite your disclaimer, above, and copied below:

When you have time, please tell us what you hope to do with this feedback. Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to ask. This is a much-needed bright spot in the "new world order" of Aurea/Jive!

• 23. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                        kim.nelson

In response to Ryan's questions Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)

Community cleanup.  Can you share the tasks that you are doing, and any feedback around making what's there a bit better

My first step in my cleanup project is to get the easy cleanup

1. Identify groups with no content, no activity in the last year and no projects. Reach out to the owner (group) and ask if they still need it and if not delete.
                        2. Identify spaces with no content, no activity in the last year and no subspaces or projects. Reach out to the owner (group) or admin (space) and ask if they still need it and if not delete.

Challenges

#1 I had our developer run a script to get me a filterable list by these parameters. Not something I could do.

#2 The list was able to identify group owners (if the owner is still active in the community and not disabled). There was no way to identify space admins, making this a manual process to open every space, open the permissions, check every user override to see who is full admin

#3 I don't know of an easy way to bulk delete identified groups and space, so again, another manual process.

• For groups, open > Manage > Delete group (3 steps)
                        • For spaces, Open Admin Console > Structure Your Community > Find space in the tree > Delete > Confirm delete (5 steps)

#4 Just this list was hundreds of groups and spaces. So, as you can imagine, manually doing these steps is time consuming and I can only do it for short periods of time before I get wrapped up in other community management requirements

I ran a report and found that of our 8000 places, 1/2 of them are inactive in the last year. I need a better way to identify, notify/communicate with owners/admins and then take the appropriate action to clean up. HELP!

• 24. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                          tmaurer

I very much agree with this, Dennis. Just didn't make the list of "top 3". Though if the reporting coming to Rewards is going to be meaningful, having 6 different Nice Work badges (which is incidentally the way we did it at UBM) that are in fact different isn't going to be helpful in the least. 

• 25. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                            Keeley Sorokti

#2 and #3 on Kim's list are huge. The lack of serious content management is a big hurdle. We need to be able to mark content for review on a certain date, for example.

• 26. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                              Keeley Sorokti

Spot on Tracy. Especially "The ability to assign (and reassign) who OWNS a piece of content, so that when people leave or move to a new role, people know who to content and any notifications for that content have somewhere to go. AND, this should include some sort of notification for sysadmins when content has been "abandoned" because someone has left"

• 28. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                                Keeley Sorokti

Mike, Great idea to give customers access to known bugs so we can 'me too' them and know what is going on. I used to run a Customer Support dept years and years ago and started publishing bugs and enhancements in our customer portal and it helped our support reps immensely plus established trust with the customers bc they knew what we knew. When a bug was fixed, all the 'me too' people were notified of the fix.

I agree about needing an activity stream tile on pages. I used to run a cloud community built on widgets and since have launched two all tile communities to try to align to Jive's futur direction and be mobile friendly. The engagement level is not as strong without the recent activity tile being the heart of a landing page -- the two newer communities have a more static, old school feel. I've tried to use the activity page as the landing page but the tiles available there are too limited so I always end up creating a custom landing page.

• 29. Re: Looking for some feedback from some awesome community managers...=)
                                  Keeley Sorokti

Ben Taub - explainlong 411 Labs Insite product may be helpful here.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next