10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2017 7:47 AM by Helen Chen

Amending group administrators

louisejansen

We Have public, restricted groups on our JAM site, each page has owners and Administrators as this was how the groups were set up originally, Now JAM has changed to a Follow preference and invitation / members cannot be added. How to i add someone new on as an administrator? How do people post content if they only follow that particular group?

The only way i can see this being available, would be if i changed the page to a Private group, added the person amended them to Admin then changed the page back. I don't however feel this is the best approach when working with exceptionally large or confidential groups.

Is there an easier way i am missing?

I cannot see anything on the Admin console which would allow me to easily add someone as an admin / member to a group

• Re: Amending group administrators
          radelgado

Hi Louise Jansen,

Usually in groups, an administrator of said group can click Manage>Members and have a list of current members and you can click "change" and get a drop down menu to choose to change the member to an administrator of said group

Hope this can help you with your issue

Raul

1 person found this helpful
              louisejansen

Hi

This will work if the person is already a member of the group, public groups cannot now send new invites so it’s not possible to add a new person as a member to then change the level of access

Sent from my iPhone

Sarah O'Meara

Hi Louise Jansen. Public groups are completely open which means that anyone can contribute to the group and therefore there are no members or Administrators. Instead of Administrators, public groups have Owners and instead of members, people have the option of following the place.

To add a new owner, select Owners under the settings wheel and then select someone to become an owner (Note: this option only shows up for public groups. For public restricted / private groups, there is an option for Members in the drop down menu instead).

louisejansen

Thanks sarah

It isn’t possible however for content to be added or edited to a public restricted group unless by a member or admin, in order to add someone as a member or admin the page has to be amended to private the person added then changing back. I can’t see another way for people to be able to contribute by adding content or amending documents unless they are owners which isn’t ideal

We have very large groups and I would prefer to not hve to amend the page to private as important updates posted could be missed by the larger audience who follow

Sent from my iPhone

Sarah O'Meara

Hi Louise Jansen,

It appears I misunderstood the question. To clarify, you currently have a Public Group (Restricted) set up?  If so, you should still be able to invite members without switching the entire group to private. You can invite people by selecting Invite members under the Actions menu or from the menu on the right side if you are in the Members section (settings wheel > members)

These screenshots are from a Public Group (Restricted):

If you are concerned about users not being able to create documents, you can also just switch the group to Public which means anyone can create content and people will receive notifications if they are following the group to their inbox.

Helen Chen

For those who are technically inclined, you might want to take a look at this thread.  Re: Auto load members into a Members Only Group?